Here's a brief recap on the competition rules:
Since we are rapidly closing in on 500,000
posts (that's a half of million
folks), I thought a fitting way to help approach such a HUGE
milestone for http://www.stampboards.com
would be to have a competition with a pretty AMAZING
prize. Every stamp collector's dream ... a BED full of stamps! (Many more photos below) Firstly the rules (and they are pretty thorough so please read them all) :
1. The VERY many 1000s of stamps in the photos below have been carefully counted by moderator MargoZ.
The exact number of stamps counted has been emailed to senior member GJ50
(President of the Australian Philatelic Federation) who has agreed to a strict vow of secrecy until the competition closes.
2. For obvious reasons we cannot tell you the WEIGHT
of this lot - although clearly, it is several kilos - a wine carton full. One hint - there are MANY, MANY times
more stamps in here than the last promo.
3. At 9pm, Friday, February 20th AEDST
(Sydney time) the competition will be deemed closed. Any number posted on the competition thread after that point will be void. All members are eligible to post.
4. As soon as practical after that time, GJ50
will post the winning number of stamps in the competition thread (this may not be immediate though, depending on the time of day or night the actual post is made - so please be patient.) Or if Margoz
or Glen Stephens
are up and about, they'll post the number, and ask GJ50
to verify it later on.
5. Neither MargoZ
, nor Glen Stephens
will be eligible to enter the competition.
6. The winner of this competition will be the first to post the exact number of stamps shown in the photos here.
7. Should there be more than one exact number posted, the earliest post with the exact number will win.
8. If the exact number is not posted, then the closest number either above or below the exact number will win.
9. In the event that there is a tie with rule 8, then rule 7 will be used to decide a winner. i.e. if the actual number of stamps is 32675 and member "A" guesses 32671 on Feb 3, and Member "B" guess 32679 on Feb 9 ... despite them bot being only 4 numbers off, Member "A" wins - being first to post from the 2 members.
10. Members may have as MANY
guesses as they wish. You can post 50 guesses in a row of 50 posts if you wish. You can post commentary as well in your post, as long as there is a guess number in there somewhere!
11. Members do not need to post in any order. i.e. one member can guess at 10021, and the next member can guess at 19205 and the next member at 14368. That is fine ... the powerful search function on http://www.stampboards.com
the close time, determine who got the exact number, or the closest number to it. If you really think there are about 40,000 stamps here for instance, you can cover a lot of numbers either side if you wish, via many separate posts.
12. However only ONE
number guess per post. If you want to pick 25 numbers you need to make 25 posts etc, so our winner checking will be quick and easy. NO
edits are permitted - if you make an error, make a new post - any post showing an edit code is Disqualified. Do NOT use commas or spaces on ANY GUESS
so that checking the winner will be easy via the search facility. If your guess is 25,037 or 25 037 you MUST enter it as 25027 - OK?
13. The prize is all
the stamps you see in these photos below. I'll mail these Registered, post free anywhere in Australia. If an overseas winner prevails, we split the shipping cost - OK, as this box is rather heavy.
14. This competition is meant to be FUN
, and a test of your stamp guessing skills. All current members may enter, and you can make as many posts as you wish. One competition last year saw a "clever" young USA member set up a automated "posting bot" which was of course cheating, and not in the spirit of the game - or this board. His number actually won, but as he was suspended once Admin had determined this cheating, the next closest member's guess was the winner. The old adage "Cheats Never Prosper"
was proven most prophetic in this case.
15. The judge's (i.e. Glen Stephens
) decision is absolutely final. So what are you waiting for folks, start posting the total number of stamps you think are in this pile, right here on this thread, right now