Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum

World's No#1 place to discuss STAMP COLLECTING and PHILATELY!

ZERO cost to ANYONE  -  NO annoying ads everywhere!

It is currently Thu May 26, 2016 19:43:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 16:39:28 pm 
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Since Oct 1, 2015, USPS stopped providing visibility of incoming registered letters for virtually all countries (with a bunch of exceptions).

What on earth is happening?

Quote:
International Registered Mail

Tracking Suppression of Import Registered Mail

Effective October 1, 2015, the Postal Service™ will no longer offer visibility for international import Registered Mail™ items unless International Posts have upgraded to offer their customers U.S. Postal Service® products that come with visibility.

The International Posts which have upgraded to offer their customers Postal Service products that offer visibility are listed here: http://faq.usps.com/?articleId=1437076354655.

If tracking and delivery information features are important to customers, the Postal Service encourages International Posts to offer their customers postal products that offer visibility and other value-added services, including:

n ePacket or PRIME Express — service alternatives with visibility on http://usps.com; or
n Import Priority Mail Express International® (PMEI) or Priority Mail International® (PMI or Parcels), which offer:

n End-to-end scanning and tracking (also known as “product visibility”);
n Online customer service assistance and support; and n Delivery and Signature Confirmation for import PMEI, and Delivery Confirmation for import PMI.

As International Posts upgrade, they will be added to the list of countries providing tracking and delivery information for import Registered Mail items sent to the United States.

This is horrible and absurd. A weird list of countries are compliant with USPS tracking.. How on earth is Togo registration more compliant than Australian Registration??

Quote:
Beginning October 1, 2015, U.S. customers will be able to obtain tracking and delivery information for inbound registered items on usps.com from the countries listed below:

COUNTRY

ALBANIA
LEBANON
ARGENTINA
LIBERIA
ARUBA
LUXEMBOURG
BARBADOS
MALDIVES
BELARUS
MALTA
BELGIUM
MAURITANIA
BENIN
MEXICO
BERMUDA
MOZAMBIQUE
BURKINA FASO
NETHERLANDS
CANADA
NIGER
CAYMAN ISLANDS
NIGERIA
COLOMBIA
PAKISTAN
COMOROS
PANAMA (REP)
CROATIA
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
CYPRUS
PHILIPPINES
CZECH REPUBLIC
RWANDA
DENMARK
SAUDI ARABIA
EL SALVADOR
SIERRA LEONE
ERITREA
SLOVENIA
ETHIOPIA
SWEDEN
FINLAND
SWITZERLAND
FRANCE
TANZANIA (UNITED REP)
GERMANY
THAILAND
GIBRALTAR
TOGO
GREAT BRITAIN
TONGA
GUYANA
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
ICELAND
UGANDA
IRELAND
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
JAPAN
VANUATU
KIRIBATI
ZAMBIA

Why can’t I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each country’s ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Is there anything the Postal Service can do to encourage other countries to provide scanning information?

Yes, and we are doing it. The Postal Service participates with groups of international postal operators to share tracking and delivery information for registered items. By doing this, we hope this will motivate other foreign, postal operators to join so that tracking and delivery information will eventually be available to and from every country.

So, the countries listed above are the only foreign partners that currently provide the Postal Service with tracking and delivery information on inbound registered items?

Yes, this list represents all the countries where postal operators participate, along with the Postal Service, in the groups committed to providing tracking and delivery information. This participation improves the quality of the worldwide postal network.

This is how my current USPS tracking looks like.

There has been some petition online for USPS to stop doing this.

Countries: Malaysia, Trucial States Thematics: "Postal Services", "Postmen", "Post Boxes", etc. (anything related)Interested in all Stamp Catalogues (Especially thematic, one-country, and specialized catalogs)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:43:59 pm 
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

I saw a memo on the wall of PO's in Hong Kong last week about this...they simply said "online tracking is no longer provided [since August I think]...if you want online tracking, use e-ship [or something like that]". There's some sort of service the PO provides, it seems mostly used by mail-order companies selling small electronic parts and things like that.

But then on Tuesday I was at the PO and saw another memo, stating that Canada Post is no longer providing online tracking of registered mail. What?!

This will create a field-day for eBay scams of "item not received", and eBay will say to sellers "Nope, you can't provide a tracking number that us lazy gits can see on the computer screen, so you actually lose all your money and postage. Thanks for using and being screwed."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:47:27 pm 

This is pathetic. USPS will cooperate with these countries but not a huge number of big places? Is it that USPS set ridiculous demands for the sharing of info, that many countries refused to acquiesce to, so they were dropped?

Quote:
Beginning October 1, 2015, U.S. customers will be able to obtain tracking and delivery information for inbound registered items on usps.com from the countries listed below:

ALBANIA
LIBERIA
BELARUS
MAURITANIA
BURKINA FASO
NIGER
COLOMBIA
COMOROS
RWANDA
SIERRA LEONE
TOGO
GUYANA
VANUATU
KIRIBATI
ZAMBIA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 18:18:11 pm 
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

I think it's a case of "our barcode readers can't read your countries barcodes, so change them to what we want or no tracking."

Which is funny as this countries barcode readers seem to read US, HK and UK just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 19:14:09 pm 

Allanswood wrote:
I think it's a case of "our barcode readers can't read your countries barcodes, so change them to what we want or no tracking."

Which is funny as this countries barcode readers seem to read US, HK and UK just fine.

Wasn't the whole world supposed to be using a standard, UPU-sanctioned barcode type? Hence out went the 'primitive' paper labels that were glued on, so that even the poorest developing country has labels that would be at home in the PO's of the most advanced countries.

When I was in Mongolia last summer, PO's in provincial towns were using a modern barcode system. Mind, in one PO, I had to point to the role that was sitting looking very unused on a shelf--the clerk was only familiar with the labels for domestic registered, which were super-simple things. The international mail labels I could spot across the room for having the UPU logo in the selvedge.

USPS announced a few years ago they were going to stop scanning incoming international registereds, and just bung such stuff into the regular mailstream. :roll: Idiot policy that defeats the whole purpose of registered. Nevertheless, long after their supposedly abandonment of scanning barcodes, I often had things sent from HK to the USA fully tracked into USPS's online system.