So what else can we do that's good for the environment & reduces global warming?
- Support only certified Ecotourism businesses.
- Use public transport.
- Don't litter. Or sweep any leaves, rubbish or dog poo etc into your street drains.
- Join a conservation group.
- Don't use any chemicals in your garden.
- Plant native plants in your garden.
- Don't water your garden constantly, it's wasteful.
- Install a rainwater tank.
- Have 2 minute showers.
- Recycle! Most councils have kerbside recycling facilities. Buy stamps and receive thick rigid cardboard as part of the packaging? Keep it! Use it when mailing stamps to others.
- All Australia Post Tough Bags and Padded Bags can be put out with kerbside recycling.
- Do you have old towels? Sheets? Curtains? Clothes in poor condition? Call your local charity.
Many charities have a program where they cut up old clothes in poor condition and sell them in kg lots to a mechanic for use as rags.
- When disposing of things such as motor oil, solvents, old paint, and other chemicals, contact your local tip or council as they often have programmes in place for recycling of old chemicals.
- Use organice produce. It's better for you and the environment!
- Buy fish that are being caught sustainably - Many fishmongers will advertise which species are sustainable.
There is always plenty more you can do, just research it.
Hope the above tips help some members.