Hello All NEW Members - please briefly introduce yourself!

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

wammy5
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Introducing Warwick

Post by wammy5 »

Not sure what I am doing but just want to sell my stamps to declutter our house : :D
MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Hello All NEW Members - please briefly introduce yourself!

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards karszu from Budapest, Hungary :)
BusyBee
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by BusyBee »

Hi I am someone who used to collect - a bit whatever anyone would give me as a kid. Now I am a busy adult and have acquired my fathers disorganised and bitty collection.

There are a lot of middle eastern stamps as well as Ceylon

But a smorgsbord

Not sure what to do with it all really
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

”Welcome” to all the MANY new members in recent weeks. :D

We now have near 25,000 REAL members, from over 170 different countries at last count - add your own country here if you wish -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3436

Remember, you need to make at least Two (2) posts to get this ugly Yellow "NEWBIE" hairshirt off your back :D ....

So DO wander around, and add a few posts. I am amazed how many members sign up, make just one post in this thread, and we never see them post again. Most of the new members on this page alone are in that boat! :shock:

If all members did that, we'd only have 25,000 posts over our past 14 years - not our current 7.5 MILLION messages! So please, make post #2 now, and get the “Newbie Jacket” off your back. :)

Get to just 5 posts, and you get a brand new colour member star and ranking. Same with 10 posts, and 25 posts etc - https://tinyurl.com/StarsSB

Best of all, new members can claim their choice of superb FREE stamps just by clicking this link – a superb reason to get off post #1! All details here –

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50036

And here is a great link for ALL members to bookmark - new AND old members! To have a quick look at the current hot discussions on stampboards at ANY time, simply click – https://tinyurl.com/SBDnew

https://www.stampboards.com/search.php?search_id=newposts

If you are NOT logged in, you usually cannot see that. The board moves so fast now, you'll miss NOTHING new, if you bookmark that link.

You can see “what’s hot” that day, and click immediately on the thread(s) that interest YOU most. Add a comment please to those that interest you. :idea:

We have TWO on board “Search” Engines. The one at top of page, and the VERY powerful site specific Google one right at base of page.

Enjoy the boards, and many thanks for joining our friendly COMMUNITY here! :D

Glen – Admin
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

Just popping by to welcome all the recent (or perhaps old) new members.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.
wammy5

Post by wammy5 »

I am just trying to declutter my stamps I collected in the 60's..

I will not continue collecting after I have my stamps moved on.

I am from New Zealand and have just retired
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards Corina from Belgium :)
RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

wammy5 wrote: 19 Oct 2021 09:36 I am just trying to declutter my stamps I collected in the 60's..

I will not continue collecting after I have my stamps moved on.

I am from New Zealand and have just retired
1. Any member of stampboards.com who has at least 30 posts and has been registered as a member here for at least 30 days may post NEW threads here offering stamps/coins/banknotes for SALE at member friendly prices - the "30/30" rule. ALL Registered members of any post count however may RESPOND to offers of goods for sale. MINIMUM asking price is $A10 level - see Rule 18.

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1338
Red.
AMark

Post by AMark »

Welcome to Stampboards wammy5!

You might want to start a new thread asking members how you can de-clutter your current stamp collection. :)

The best forum for such a question might be, NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!

Please don't forget to include a descriptive thread title, images of the clutter in your collection and a description of what you would like to do.

Here are two links that will be very useful.

The first is to the board Rules:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

The second is to an excellent image posting tutorial:

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards

Enjoy!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
December 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... December 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List
Mike21

Post by Mike21 »

Hi all, thank you for accepting me on the site. I am Michael from Tassy with an interest in Australian and Papua New Guinea. Only a beginner, hope to learn a lot.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Welcome to Stampboards Michael.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and welcome to michael = Mike21 in Richmond, Tasmania, Australia.
Richmond Bridge (1823), oldest bridge in Australia
Richmond Bridge (1823), oldest bridge in Australia
Australia Post prestamped postcard, <br />stamp subject: Richmond Bridge<br />pictorial cancel, Hobart, 1 Feb 1979
Australia Post prestamped postcard,
stamp subject: Richmond Bridge
pictorial cancel, Hobart, 1 Feb 1979
/RogerE :D
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards TomT from Werribee, Australia :)
Bertiemyrtle7
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Bertiemyrtle7 »

Hello I have just joined and hope to join in the Posts. I have spent lockdown plating and identifying shades of the 1d Red having acquired a large collection. It has thrown up a number of interesting anomalies which I hope to share with you inviting your thoughts including unlisted varieties. The first one Glenn has stated is PERFECT for Stampboard so I hope it does hit the spot.
Many thanks,
Charlie
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

I was just looking at the Admin log of downtime and outages for stampboards for the past 16 months, since our super MAJOR upgrade in mid 2020. We moved from the flaky and buggy and erratic servers in Oklahoma, and I see we have since had almost ZERO downtime or outages, due to our new robust and large private servers in the USA, with relay back-ups, and load sharing on both coasts there.

We have logged just a few minutes downtime in TOTAL over 16 months. An incredible achievement, given the large user and visitor traffic we have here, and the vast data storage and back-up now of 7.5 million messages.

Facebook and YouTube has literally been out of action way more than we have in 16 months! My BANK website here is down regularly. As are most Stamp Auction sites. stampboards is as solid as a rock.

Yuriy in New York as always keeps it all ticking along very smoothly in the background, and is just about to update us to the very latest phpBB software, with even more features. He sourced the hosting company after days of research, and chose SUPERBLY, I am sure all will agree. :!:

AND we will expand our storage to an ever larger server system, seeing we now have well over a MILLION images self-hosted on our own SUPER SECURE servers now - we are truly the Wikipedia of stamp collecting. 8-)

We are the WORLD'S number one Stamp Bulletin Board because of our million images, and the vast depth of MILLIONS of posts of content, and that costs money to do, and to back-up robustly and securely forever.

Yuriy is not even a stamp collector - he just likes us as a quirky fun project for him, and has helped out for a decade or more here, so I'd again encourage ALL members to do your bit, and fund a pizza and some beers etc via PayPal in ANY currency to - yuriy [at] rusko.org (Think of it as your oblique Stampboards Membership Fee, or Crowd Funding!)

Just 100 generous Community minded members sending only a modest $10 or $20 pays for a lot of his time, and shows he is appreciated by those here who benefit from HIS super back-room skills. Please do it NOW. CROWD FUNDING at its finest. A new issue stamp set at the PO costs that! :)

Think of just how many valuable things you have learned, shared, swapped etc, and the many new friends made here. All of them worth $20 or so now, I am certain. :!: :!:

All the US hosting is at my cost, and always will be, and that runs to many $1000s a year, but please do show your small personal appreciation for the tech whizz who keeps that all ticking along with no glitches. He has quietly saved us from disaster MANY times over our long history, trust me. Spam attacks, hacking attempts etc, all foiled etc. :!:

Yuriy is one of the head coding and design developers globally of this phpBB board skeleton, used by millions of Bulletin Boards worldwide, most far smaller than this of course, and has customised the back-end of this version entirely for our needs - larger easy to read fonts given our demographic, added many different navigation buttons, very special attention to easy adding of images, and many other features not immediately obvious to the casual user.

I have never sent a text message in my life - true, and have never used Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, or had a Zoom meeting etc, so if you relied on my ''tech skills'', there would be a totally blank screen facing you right now! :mrgreen:

There Are NO Free Lunches In Life - so, please PayPal Yuriy a Pizza and some beers! yuriy [at] rusko.org .... PEOPLE POWER. 8-)

Thanks in advance -

Glen Stephens - owner of www.stampboards.com

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

OK, done!

Wish list (two items):

• Could we ask for a button to take us to the foot of a current page, please? When individual posts are long, and the page is getting close to having 50 posts, it takes a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom of a page...

• Could the AddSpace control be modified so that text placed between "AddSpace" and "/AddSpace" would give space before and after the text? That would parallel what happens for bold, italic, quote, url, colour, size, centre, etc.

Thanks for considering...

Jennyarya2007
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

Namaste Glen,
My Name is Jenny Arya Rapaka.I reside in Hyderabad, one of the Biggest Cities in India. I collect Stamps from Many Countries. Right now, my interest is in the Stamps of the British Commonwealth and the Overseas Territories. I am honoured to be here.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Welcome to Stampboards Jenny.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Crowsnestidaho
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Again I welcome all new members since my last post. We are dealing with carpet problems and my time online and with my stamps has been disrupted and ??? when I will get back to them.
jasvivi

Post by jasvivi »

Hello.

I am Javier from Madrid, Spain. Although my English is not very good, I will try to communicate in this forum in English. I'm very interesting in to get stamps from Guyana, Liberia and Israel.

Regards.
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Hello Javier and welcome to Stampboards.

We are all here to help.

However, there are rule that are posted in and on most all of the threads. So search and read and please follow the rules for the thread you wish to participate on.

Rules and purpose of threads are always on page one of every thread.

Search around participate and enjoy the board and you hobby.

Thanks.

Don :D
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Greetings to our two latest Stampboards members:
To Jenny = Jennyarya2007 in Hyderabad, Telangana, India
नमस्ते और स्वागत है
namaste aur svaagat hai

To Javier = jasvivi in Madrid, Spain
Hola y bienvenido
Hello and welcome to both of you!
Charutha

Post by Charutha »

Hello,
I'm Charutha Kannangara from Sri Lanka. Very recently I received a collection of stamps(nearly around 5000 Stamps, which belong to 1870-1960) from my grandfather and that made me to study about the facts, features and other informations related to stamps. I'm looking forward to improve my knowledge from this community.
Thank you 😀
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Welcome to Stampboards Charutha from Sri Lanka.

Always nice to have new members make their first posts!

Look around explore and enjoy your new adventure given from a family member. That always makes it more personal. Congratulations.
Cloncurry59

Post by Cloncurry59 »

Hi all
Paul from Sydney here. I have taken up collecting again after a long hiatus.
Interested in colonies,(British, French, Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish-even German and Danish)" dead places"(Danzig, Fiume etc.), Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea...oh and Ireland!
Many thanks
Cloncurry59 :)
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Welcome Cloncurry59 to Stampboards.

Remember to always read the rules on the First Page of each Thread.

Use the search features (one in the upper right corner of the forum and a second at the bottom of each page.

Add posts when you feel so inclined and ask you questions in the appropriate thread.

So Welcome again and have fun.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Greetings to our two latest Stampboards members:
To Charutha Kannangara = Charutha in Urapola, Sri Lanka
ආයුබෝවන් සහ සාදරයෙන් පිළිගනිමු
āyubōvan saha sādarayen piḷiganimu
வணக்கம் மற்றும் வரவேற்கிறோம்
Vaṇakkam maṟṟum varavēṟkiṟōm
To Paul = Cloncurry59 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Budyeri kamaru = Bujari gamarruwa
Hello and welcome to both of you!

Footnotes:
Charutha no doubt knows, but to inform others who might not know, my greetings are in Sinhala and Tamil, the two main languages of Sri Lanka.
Paul and others might not know how Gadigal speakers say Hello and Welcome, but those words are appropriate in Sydney, which is Gadigal Country.
https://www.sydneybarani.com.au/acknowledging-gadigal-country/

I have added a post about the Gadigal greeting at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&p=7484899#p7484899
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards Aussienewbie (Derek) from Melbourne, Australia :)
runsonbundy

Post by runsonbundy »

Hello all.
Scotty from Australia here,
Grandfather had a huge collection of stamps, I have no idea where to start so thought this might be a good start.
Sorry for the stupid questions in advanced. Hahah
Thanks
Scotty
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Since we have another new Stampboards member from Sydney, I will add that recent greeting once again:
To Scotty = runsonbundy in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Budyeri kamaru = Bujari gamarruwa
Hello and welcome!
Browsing through various Stampboards threads is a good way to build your knowledge. May I suggest three threads you would probably find interesting and helpful?
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37042
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4287
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15712

Footnote:
Scotty and others might not know how Gadigal speakers say Hello and Welcome, but those words are appropriate in Sydney, which is Gadigal Country.
https://www.sydneybarani.com.au/acknowledging-gadigal-country/

I have added a post about the Gadigal greeting at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&p=7484899#p7484899
MJ's pet

Re: Introducing Warwick

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards wammy5 from Paeroa, New Zealand :)
GianlucaG

Post by GianlucaG »

Hello all,
I'm Gianluca G, from swizerland.

I'm 42 year old and just start stamps collection from ww, but atm form swizerland, italy and france essentialy.

Regards
Gianluca
AMark

Post by AMark »

Welcome to Stampboards Gianluca!

Since, you are a worldwide collector you might enjoy reading this thread.

Confession: I am a "Whole World Stamp Collector" Any others?

Please don't forget to read the Rules for posting on the board, found at this link:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

Also, please take a look at this image posting tutorial.

Enjoy!
December 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... December 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards Mike21 from Richmond, Tasmania, Australia :)
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Greetings to new Stampboards member Gianluca G, from Ayent, Swizerland.
Ciao e Benvenuto!
Bonjour et bienvenue!
Hallo und Willkommen!
Olá e bem-vindo!
Ciao e Bainvegni!

Hello and welcome!
Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks French (2,808 or 93.6%) as their first language, German is the second most common (83 or 2.8%) and Portuguese is the third (41 or 1.4%). There are 15 people who speak Italian and 1 person who speaks Romansh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayent
Most of Switzerland is pointy!
Most of Switzerland is pointy!
A friend recently told me that the opposite of "irony" is "wrinkly".
Could he have had Ayent in mind? ;)
Postiebob

Post by Postiebob »

Hi all, I'm a new member called postiebob - I used to work for Royal Mail in the UK. My interest is British stamps and covers of all kinds. Looking forward to extending my knowledge with you all.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and welcome to Postiebob

Posties are popular. Postman Pat is an obvious one, but how about Postman Pete?
Postman Pete, by Val Marshall<br />ISBN-10: 1572551097
Postman Pete, by Val Marshall
ISBN-10: 1572551097
Look at these Australian covers, and others like them in the neighbourhood of the post
Australia Post ink jet cancels<br />Postie on motorscooter
Australia Post ink jet cancels
Postie on motorscooter
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85236&hilit=Postie+cancels&start=79
Ironmillos

Post by Ironmillos »

Welcome postiebob!
Hope you enjoy the content on the forum and you having a great day!
Best wishes,
Iron
turtle-bienhoa
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by turtle-bienhoa »

RogerE wrote: 21 Oct 2021 03:06 Could we ask for a button to take us to the foot of a current page, please?
You can press the "End" key on your keyboard to take you to the bottom. The opposite is true for the "Home" key.

Where the &quot;End&quot; key is.
Where the "End" key is.
Searching for musical instruments, Lions International, Rotary International, the sport of cricket, non-rectangular stamps, and PIGS. OINK!
hnrsoftware

Post by hnrsoftware »

Hi - I am Howard Richoux - retired software engineer with a few decades of stamp-related computer activity. I collect hunting and fishing revenue stamps and licenses (most people have heard of the "duck stamps" part). My first significant project was a CD-ROM "Ducks '95" in the mid 1990s cataloging the US federal and state duck stamps. My website at ducks2k.com was named after an attempt to update and expand the duck stamps cataloging to all fish and game -- turns out to be way too large for a CD-ROM.

What I am interested in sharing here and learning about, are thoughts, experiences and recommendations on acquiring and organizing stamp images and data.

Howard
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

turtle-bienhoa wrote: 27 Oct 2021 02:02
RogerE wrote: 21 Oct 2021 03:06 Could we ask for a button to take us to the foot of a current page, please?
You can press the "End" key on your keyboard to take you to the bottom. The opposite is true for the "Home" key.

Problem: Thanks turtle. However, my MacBook Air keyboard does not have "End" and "Home" keys. In fact, the rightmost seven columns of keys you show on your keyboard are not present on my keyboard. Are there special control characters which have the same result?
/RogerE :o
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and welcome to Howard = hnrsoftware in Oregon City, Oregon 97045, USA.

As AMark posted in this thread recently:
... a very useful thread is how to add images to your thread and/or post (All new threads must include an image) found at this link:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770
/RogerE ;D
snappa22
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by snappa22 »

RogerE

The Stamp Bulletins are of limited use in identifying official souvenir covers. I do not have a collection, and they are only available online from 2009. I would say that about half of the souvenir covers that have been identified post January 1996 are referred to in the Bulletins. Here is my list to date: https://michaelorganresearch.blogspot.com/2021/10/australia-post-souvenir-covers-1996.html. The introduction of a wider variety of philatelic postal stationary by Australia Post, such as maxicards, post & numismatic covers and prestige items, has reduced the amount issued.

Michael
RogerE wrote: 14 Oct 2021 08:55 Hello and welcome to Michael = snappa22 in Murrumburrah, New South Wales 2587, Australia.

Is that a fish or a fotografer? ;)

You have taken on a challenge to track down all those AusPost souvenir covers! How much help are the issues of AusPost's Stamp Bulletin in finding out about these covers?

P.S. Stationery vs stationary ;)
BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

A warm welcome to all of our new members. :D
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.
AMark

Post by AMark »

RogerE wrote: 27 Oct 2021 04:41
turtle-bienhoa wrote: 27 Oct 2021 02:02

Problem: Thanks turtle. However, my MacBook Air keyboard does not have "End" and "Home" keys. In fact, the rightmost seven columns of keys you show on your keyboard are not present on my keyboard. Are there special control characters which have the same result?
/RogerE :o
RogerE,

If you hold, "Command" and press the "down arrow" key it will take you to the bottom of the page that you are viewing.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Welcome to Stampboards Bertiemyrtle7 (Charlie) from Cape Town, South Africa :)
Lindasstamps

Post by Lindasstamps »

Hi all. Thanks for the add. Hoping to learn alot with this forum. Will post lovely pictures of my stamps shortly.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and welcome to Lindasstamps in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Happy easing of Covid restrictions to all our members and friends in Melbourne and throughout Victoria!
Covid restrictions across Victoria changed from 22 October, with Melbourne’s lockdown ending, after the state passed a full vaccination rate of 70%.

From 6pm on Friday 29 October, restrictions will ease further, as the state records an 80% vaccination rate. This will mean restrictions are the same across Victoria for those who are vaccinated. The Victorian roadmap is here.

In summary, from 29 October:

No restrictions on travel around the state.
No masks outside.
People can return to work if fully vaccinated.
Outdoor public gatherings of 30 people allowed.
Gyms and retail reopen, subject to density limits.
Indoor and outdoor hospitality venue limits increase.
Indoor entertainment venues open at 75% capacity, as many as 1000 patrons.
Outdoor venues as many as 5000 patrons.
Indoor sport resume with density cap.
All school children back in classrooms full-time.

The state will abandon almost all restrictions from about 24 November, when it reaches the vaccination rate of 90% of people aged 12 and older. But restrictions on those who are unvaccinated are expected to continue throughout 2022.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/25/victo ... ed-to-know
jmiele3

Post by jmiele3 »

Hello from the Philippines.
Stephenisnewhere

New collection what to keep and sell?

Post by Stephenisnewhere »

Hi all I’m new here. Thx for accepting me. :)

So I used to collect stamps with my Dad. And my elder bros with him before that. Into adulthood I picked up the odd bits here and there on my travels but didn’t actually do anything. When my Dad passed away I inherited it all.

Prior to him passing away he dismantled most of it and was going to remount in new albums. 15 years later I’m getting back into it and sorting through it all. There’s 2 parallel sets of mint uk commemorative stamps. App 77/78-88 and then unmounted 88-96 give or take a few missing bits.

Some odd first day covers. A now single collection of world used stamps, and some other bits (x2) inc 1981 royal weddings stamps a Royal Mail 1987 book with stamps in. 2x A historic stamps of royalty (uk) with mint stamps in. Also 2x SG folders for 1981 royal wedding with some stamps mounted and some loose yet to be mounted. Dad gave up on it fairly early on when realised how expensive it was going to be!

I plan, if there’s interest to sell some of it inc parallel sets of mint commemorative, royal wedding albums etc, however I was wondering whether to remove stamps from first day covers to add to my used stamp collection as well as removing mint royal wedding stamps from 1 album and 1 or both of the historic royal stamps of royal books?

Should I keep them?

Or at least one of each and sell other?

And can u remove stamps from first day covers to add to a collection?

TIA :)
Last edited by AMark on 28 Oct 2021 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added air to the post.

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”