Member Profiles - Details about Stampboard Friends!

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

RobRoyH
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Member Profiles - Details about Stampboard Friends!

Post by RobRoyH »

One regular feature of my local stamp club's newsletter is the "Member Profile". This is an under one page survey that our editor, (pcelias on this board by the way... so this is his idea I'm lifting), started 4 or 5 years ago.

It is a very popular feature with our club and has proved very helpful, I think, in building community and in helping members find the experts in other fields. I hope this would be far above and beyond what we see in the introductory Roll Call posts.

Highlighted below is a list of 16 questions. Simply cut and paste THOSE YOU ARE WILLING TO ANSWER into a new post and answer them.

You can omit any questions you like.

You can change or substitute any questions you like.

You can be totally serious, or not, as you like.

You can certainly feel free to add images if you like... just remember the usual message bandwidth limitations, just a few pictures per post would be fine.

In this introductory post, I'll just post the questions, but I'll then create a second post where I answer them for myself, (these are mostly the same answers I provided to our newsletter back in 2008.... but I will update some of them).

1. When and how did you start stamp collecting?

2. What Countries or topics do you primarily collect?

3. What is your favorite country or topic to collect?

4. How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby?

5. What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes?

6. What is your favorite movie?

7. What is your favorite stamp?

8. What is your favorite food?

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is it?

10. What is your professional background?

11. What one person, dead or alive, would you like to meet?

12. What is your favorite TV show?

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards?

14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator?

15. Who is your favorite musician?

16. If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy?

"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

RobRoyH

Re: Member Profiles - Details about Stamboard Friends!

Post by RobRoyH »

This is actually a combined member profile for myself and for the lovely and charming Debbie0517.

1. When and how did you start stamp collecting? - At about the age of 7, an older brother was working on his Stamp Collecting Merit Badge and I, or course, had to start an album of my own! A few years later, when I showed up for my interview for the badge, the collection was already housed in numerous albums. I recall more time spent trading and gossiping about stamps with my counselor than reviewing requirements. I have been collecting continuously, with varying levels of intensity, ever since. A fly-fishing expedition when I was 12 introduced me to the wonders of State Hunting & Fishing revenues and kept me interested throughout my teen years. When Debbie and I married a few years later, she had never been introduced to stamps, but she already had the "collecting gene" and quickly became my active partner in growing the collection. Over the years there are few areas of philately that we haven't sampled. I've sold several collections only to reconstitute them from remaining duplicates. I am the "philatelist" and Debbie is the "topicalist".

2. What Countries or topics do you primarily collect? - I joyfully collect the world! I have specialized collections of Vatican City, US Revenues, Taxpaid Revenues, and State & Local revenues with an emphasis on wildlife. Debbie concentrates on Popes and Saints... anything pertaining to our Catholic faith. She has recently started branching out to "Orchids on Stamps".

3. What is your favorite country or topic to collect? - For myself, I am drawn to anything unusual or "hard" to identify. I love the process of ID'ing unlisted material. Debbie is interested in any "pretty" stamp with a topical connection to her real-world interests.

4. How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby? - A minimum of 10 hours a week... sometimes much more when I'm not travelling for work and now that both sons are grown.

5. What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes? - We both enjoy spending time outdoors, and both of us have been deeply involved at all levels of Scouting as our sons grew through all levels of the program. We both read extensively. We both enjoy shooting sports... our Single Action Shooting Society handles are Rootin-Tootin Rob and Dakota Diamond Deb. Debbie is very creative with all forms of fabric art and has recently started knitting. She loves houseplants and her "house orchids" come into bloom on a regular basis under her care. In the past, when I had a more predictable schedule, I practiced zymurgy, (I brewed beer).

6. What is your favorite movie? - A single movie we could both agree on would perhaps be "Gettysberg". A more recent choice might be the brand new "Harry Potter - Deathly Hallows Part 2"

7. What is your favorite stamp? -
The 1971 Missouri Trout Stamp. For Debbie it would be the stamp she just bought!

8. What is your favorite food? - Alder-planked wild-caught Pacific Salmon... but any form of fresh sea food will do in a pinch. For Debbie it would be Chocolate, the darker the better!

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is it? - I'll say "Reality TV" for both of us, (although we do both enjoy "Dirty Jobs")

10. What is your professional background? - 32 long years in Information Technology - I play with computers.

11. What one person, dead or alive, would you like to meet? - G. K. Chesterton for me. I'll go out on a limb, and say Sam Eliot as far as Debbie is concerned.

12. What is your favorite TV show? - If we like it, then it's been cancelled, (or soon will be... in the middle of a story with lots of plot elements never revealed).

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards? - Searching for info in Google kept leading me here. This site was so much more visual than other stamp forums that I had to join.

14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator? - For me it would be beer, (but not necessarily what most people consider to be beer). For Debbie, it would be chocolate!

15. Who is your favorite musician? - Enya

16. If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy? - I'd splurge and buy a nice copy of R102c AND a VF set of Vatican City 35-40 with APS certificates. I'd buy proofs of the 1958 Monaco Lourdes Centenary set for Debbie.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Member Profiles - Details about Stampboard Friends!

Post by fromdownunder »

Around 1960. My older sister collected stamps. When I got a Newspaper Round and saw some stamp packets at the Newsagency....

World A - Z, simplified.

New Zealand, almost complete (simplified) from FFQ's to 2010

Depends if you count being on Stampboards. :D Some would say too many.

Film, Science Fiction, Aussie Rules (Go Catters!) and Volunteer work for an Emergency Food and Material Goods Charity.

Today, or yesterday? I am serious about this. It was Gone With the Wind for many years but is now Leon aka The Professional, but some days, I might put on a tape of Galaxy Quest or Fly Away Home, or as today Ed Wood, and change my mind.

I honestly do not have one.

Porterhouse Steak, rare, with a green pepper sauce.

Two people who chat in doorways, escalators, or paths, preventing others from passing.

Professional???? BBBWWWWHAHAHAHAHA. I did study Law at Melbourne University in a past existance, but never completed it.

Audrey Hepburn, Carl Sagan, or Robert A. Heinlein. out of the three, Robert would win.

A three way draw between MASH, Buffy and Firefly.

I think it was through one of Glen's newsletters.

I'm Australian. If your answer to this is not Vegemite. you are un-Australian.

The late Karen Carpenter.

All of them, though I would draw the line at the British Guiana 1 cent Magenta and the Tre Skilling Banco.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Thanks for participating fromdownunder!

When I said I read a lot, I meant mostly Science Fiction... and certainly meeting RAH would be great.

I also have a rather extensive collection of American pulp science fiction magazines... and one of those weird coincidences you encounter in life... For many years the most important catalogs in my collecting were the Springer catalogs. I'm probably the only person to know this trivial fact... and have all the publications to prove it.... Sherwood Springer was a minor Science Fiction writer as well as a stamp collector and cataloger.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?1887

No... I don't have all of his published stories... but quite a few of them.

Oh, when I used the term "professional", I was merely asking how you put bread on the table. Is it another "Americanism" to use the term for vocations other than Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, etc.?
G. K. Chesterton

huanga
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by huanga »

1/ Nice one. Do you still fish with a fly?

6/ I agree, that and one I have yet to see. 'Gods generals.'

7/ I must look out for this trout stamp.

8/ I'm in agreement on both foods.

9/ I'm also in agreement.

10/Engineer.

11/ My Grandfather. To find how he could have successfully ambushed a British patrol, and managed to get shot himself!

12/Two and a half men.

13/Google.

14/Whats a refrigerator?

15/Don't have one.

16/I'd buy SG and re-introduce Strait Settlements SG 64c!!

17/Would Debbie like to divorce you and marry me?

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

1/ Nice one. Do you still fish with a fly?
Not in many years I'm afraid.
7/ I must look out for this trout stamp.
I've posted it before... here it is again from my collection. Think of it as a Missouri Kookaburra. :lol: :lol:
17/Would Debbie like to divorce you and marry me?
NO. Definitely NO!
G. K. Chesterton

huanga

Post by huanga »

Thats a pity. Its not often you can find a good woman that can shoot straight. However, ces't la vie. I can't say I know anyone who has ever fished in Missouri. So I will have to find out a little about the rivers there.

Early last year I was walking along a track beside a river called the Haupiri. I was about to wade across to fish the right bank when I was stopped by a Texan.
He wanted to know where to fish, so I told him a little of the river and suggested a few spots. He then asked how he could get across the river, and how I get across. I said I wade, but he as a guest at the fishing lodge could ask them to drive him back down the track and over the bridge.

No, he did'nt want to do that and asked if he could wade over with me. Sure, I had no problem with that.........not until we were nearly half way. The water was about crutch high and he demanded I assist him back to the bank. I did, then crossed back and went fishing.

That night my phone rang. It was the fishing lodge. "Had I earlier that day taken one of their guests across the river?" No! Only half way, I explained what had happened, and they then told me it had taken them the best part of the day to convince their guest that he cannot sue a New Zealander for 'endangering' his life on a river!! He was a lawyer from Austin, Texas, and wanted to sue me.

Two or three days later I told the story to a friend of mine from Boston. He tells me there that there is a case before the courts in Missouri where by a Texan is trying to sue that State! It has something to do with the fishing there. By the way. That is one fine stamp.

Huanga.

makielb
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by makielb »

Nice thread - I'll post when I have the time to type a proper response.
Mike
Why do we need perforations? Scissors are cheap!

ernelopez
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by ernelopez »

I started when I was 11, when I've seen a stamp fair at a park near my home. Then I stopped at 13, and restarted at 31.

I collecto worldwide revenues. I focus on my country, Arngentina.

My main areas at this moment are Buenos Aires revenues and postal savings.

About ten...

None.

Cinema Paradiso and Historias Minimas.

I really love Buenos Aires 1877 documentary series.

Asado! That is, argentinian bbq.

No.

I'm a math teacher.

Juan Perón, Antonio Gramsci.

Lost.

Google.

Ice.

Led Zeppelin.

It could be a complete set of proofs from 1877. Or some documents form this era with stamps attached.

tonyclayton

Post by tonyclayton »

Way back so long ago I cannot recall. I must have been about 10 at the time when my grandfather gave me three 'schoolboy' collections. Sadly he did not give the large number of early NZ Chalon heads that he had!

Primarily Italy and its colonies, etc. Basically anything in Sassone.
I also collect Austria, and to a lesser extent Germany, France,and Netherlands
Unsurprisingly I have an extensive GB collection, but spend little on it other than new issues, and even those I will stop at the end of this year as the GB issuing policy has entered 'fleece the collector' mode :(

Italy

Too many

I also collect coins, but as readers of http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk will find, I mainly collect images of rare coins - it is much cheaper!

Not sure that I have a favourite.

The one of Trieste featured on a poll elsewhere

A good steak.

Idiots who find any excuse to have a riot and destroy people's lives and livelihoods.

Schoolmaster (retired now)

My great-grandfather

QI, or Have I got News For You

I cannot recall now.

Milk

Johann Nepomuk Hummel

Complete sheets of the Balbo Triptychs

sanjaysub
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by sanjaysub »

I started in 1975 and gave it up by 1982. A couple of months back I came across an old collection of my distant uncle and have actually gotten back in full swing.

The world at the moment. I like the following topics - Music, Sports (specifically cricket) & Cartoons/Comics

India is my favorite country at the moment, and music my favorite topic.

5-10 hours a week

Playing board games, reading and collecting books/comics.

Shawshank Redemption, Fish called Wanda and some classic Tamil films.

None yet, but the Falkland Islands King Penguin and my own avatar on Bharathi the Tamil poet are quite high up.

Not too much choice for a vegetarian so plain home cooked South Indian I guess!

The traffic in Chennai! Impossible!

Musician

Tiger Varadachariyar

Prison Break, Lie to Me

Blame it on Google!

Old fashioned yoghurt/curds

GN Balasubramaniam

Tyr and complete my post independent India collection, especially the Gandhi stamp with Service overprint.

Sanjay
Collecting everything at the moment. However trying to concentrate on Czechoslovakia, India, British Commonwealth, King George VI, Machins, Music & Christmas carols.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

I was about 8-9 when I took a shine to some Ethiopian stamps that my mum was putting on circuit sheets.

Victorian Barred Numerals

Victorian Barred Numerals

Don't ask :oops:

Huh?

The Colour Purple, or, Schindler's List, or, Flying High. Depends on the mood.

Anything with a Victorian Barred Numeral.

Anything out of the water.

Don't start me!

Chance would be a fine thing.

Copernicus.

M*A*S*H (and, "My Name's McGooley, What's Yours?")

I fell over it looking for some information about something - can't remember what, too long ago :oops:

Food (and beer, or the MOTH would not be happy).

Beethoven

You're kidding - right? Victorian Barred Numerals 8)
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

filatelista
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by filatelista »

Hi there, howdy??? Nice 2 meet u all ;)
Im from Brazil (Brasil!!), 30andsomething yrs old :lol: , female.

When I was a child

hard question 2 answer... right now Im collectin GB Machins (yep, i´ve got the
machinfever some time ago), Deutschland (all-eras), Wavy Lines and more.

Deutschland

4-7

Books.

Dunno

The next one ;)

Italian food.

Dunno

Aviation

Dunno

Documentaries

Searching the internet

Water

There are so many great musicians out there... I cant pick one.

Just a few...

jugoslavija_post

Post by jugoslavija_post »

Early Australia and some Oceana.

Australia, older USA, uglies. :shock:

How long is a piece of string? :roll:

Audio, restoring things, coins, paper money, film photography/cameras, etc.

Australia KGV head.

Thai

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is is it?
Things that are not maintained by their owners. (i.e.- paint chipping off signs, broken things, etc?)

Paul McCartney

The Mexico University set, in MUH, and the first wmk Roos, complete set, mint. :wink:

makielb

Post by makielb »

OK, here's my effort:

Mid-late 1950s when my father worked above a stamp shop in downtown Detroit.

Greece (primarily Hermes heads)
Mexico (specializing in 1864-1867)
Italy and states (pre-WWI)
Constantinople (1700s - 1922)
The World (pre-1900)

Changes day to day

Lots of my leisure time

I'm an ornithologist and anatomist by training
- so I also watch and study birds and collect insects.
Oh yeah, and toy soldiers.

The Large Hermes head

The plate sitting in front of me (assuming it was prepared properly)

Creationists who think that they can explain evolution
(But I try to practice tolerance with the ignorant)

Technically, I am a biologist who has taught genetics, evolution and anatomy.

Gandhi

Eureka

Random chance

Large Hermes head, 20 lepta, Athens provisional
without control number (1861)
Mike
Why do we need perforations? Scissors are cheap!

tacomabob
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by tacomabob »

I was about 12 years old when my parent began to receive
letters from relatives in Germany toward the end of World
War II. Around 16 there were other interests and in much
later years I resumed the hobby.

USA and Germany up to 1950

Trying to put together a postal history of Germany
related to my German ancestors.

Not sure, it varies so much-if you don't count the time
being connected to Stampboards ! I also have a strange
hobby collecting fruit labels (stop giggling!). the fun in that
is trading with like collectors around the world.

I'm a woodcarver, woodworker,like to read both fiction
and non-fiction particularly on history.

"The Best Years Of Our Lives", "It's A Wonderful Life"
and most of the John Wayne westerns.

Too many to mention.

My wife is such a good cook I hate to make a choice !

Registered Engineer and Certified Safety Professional.

Probably my grandfather whom I never met. He was a
union leader in Germany during WWI and fought for the
worker's rights and against the continuation of the war.

Hard to say. there is so much trash on TV. Right now
I enjoy "American Picker" and the old movies on American
Movie Classics
13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards? Not sure, but it came about while searching
the internet for information.

Milk. Have alway been, and still am, a big milk drinker.

Glen Miller
I would start with the classic 1847-1899 American issues
and wouldn't mind having the inverted Curtiss Jenny air mail.
And then worry about the insurance and security to protect
them !

BIGANDYN
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by BIGANDYN »

Caught the "bug" from my dad when I was still a lad in short trousers (remember them?)

Fiji

Fiji, stamps, postal history etc, etc

Not enough :cry: :cry:

Steam Railways & Gardening

6. What is your favourite movie?
Too many to mention.

7. What is your favourite stamp?
Too many to mention.

8. What is your favourite food?
Steak, Salmon & when I'm being lazy Pizza

Rudeness...there's no excuse!

Trained as a chef, did a business management course at college & have spent the rest of my working life "self employed".

JFK

12. What is your favourite TV show?
Rugby (both codes), Soccer, Cricket, Golf...in other words..SPORT!

You know, I can't honestly remember.

Beer...doesn't everyone?

15. Who is your favourite musician?
The Beatles, Elton John

Anything with "Fiji" on the label :D :D (that's not already in my collection)
If it ain't broke.....fix it 'til it is!!

http://www.lanarkshireps.co.uk

wolseley16/60
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by wolseley16/60 »

1968, was introduced by the local shop owners sons.

Australia & States.

Australia & States.

Heaps.

Golf, reading,walking.

2001; A Space Odyssey.

1898 N.Z. 5 shilling pictorial Mt. Cook.

Lasagne.

Politicians.

Engineering.

Jesus.

The Brady Bunch.

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about
Stampboards?
Was scouring the net for info. on Australian States cancellations.

Milk.

ELO.

World issues from 1840-1900.

iomoon
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by iomoon »

In 1957 when UK issued Scout Jubilee Jamboree commemoratives

UK and Volcanoes on stamps.

Volcanoes

About 35.

Rafting, camping, Shooting at targets, geology. Used to be rock climbing and caving but body isn't up to it anymore.

The Quiet man with John Wayne.

Tonga, View of Haabai, 1897

Gingered shrimp with fried rice, closely followed by Shepherds pie.

Native speakers inability to use grammar and spell correctly.

Volcanological planetology. Professor.

Leonardo da Vinci

60 minutes followed by Monday night football if either Dallas or Patriots are playing.

David Benson

Beer

John Williams and Julian Bream

16. If you w
on the lottery, what stamps would you buy?
St Helena 15/- Badge of the Colony, Anguilla 1967 1$ overprint, Reunion Roland Garros and all the penny black oi's I could get my hands on.

I collect Volcanos on stamps

Not Bruce
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Not Bruce »

It was when I was about 4 years old, still remember some of the stamps - there was definitely one with the Pope on.
I sold up when I was 21 years old (had to buy a house) and started again about 2 years ago.

Revenues, revenues and revenues - mostly GB and Ireland

GB, but I am partial to South Africa and Australia

More than I spend doing my proper job - and I'm not retired!

Walking, reading, drinking - the usual.

There are so many - I've watched "Man with Two Brains" lots of times and it still makes me laugh

Griqualand West - Wyon head revenue (also seen on Transvaal revenues), the epitomy of Victorian design.

Pizza

Having to work for a living.

Print industry, large scale.

Henry VIII, I would ask him to reconsider thrashing those monastries, nothing to do with religion, but I would've rather have seen them whole.

Father Ted, it's actually a documentary.

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about
Someone linked some info off my website, I was very impressed with what I found - there were some rare revenue stamps pictured too and following the link from the board I bought them off a dealer in the US.

Fruit juice

Very eclectic musical tastes - at weekends I am DJ Slippers (seriously)

More of the same - with revenues it doesn't matter how much cash you've got, it's locating the buggers that's the problem!
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

With revenues it doesn't matter how much cash you've got, it's locating the buggers that's the problem!
Amen to that! And for many of the proprietary types, even supposed common ones, it's finding a specimen that's not pieced together with hinges.

Thanks for participating in the Thread Mike... again I love your web site, I couldn't resist those TV License issues.
G. K. Chesterton

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

My turn.

In the 1950s and again in 2004. First it was the thing to do as a youngster and then the thing to do as a retiree.

Australia simplified, Papua New Guinea and many Pacific islands. Also birds and railways. And would you also believe, the World.

These days I spend most of my time on Birds on stamps.

Heaven only knows. I visit Stampboards many times a day and, depending on the weather, may spend from 1 to 5 hours a day on the collection.

Bird watching, reading, the Australian countryside.

High Noon?

I don't have one but the Australian Kingfisher set from 2010 is right up there.

Oranges?

There are too many good things in life without celebrating the bad things.

Local government management mostly, the last paid work was as a project coordinator but now retired.

No one springs to mind.

Foyle's War.

From Glen's web site.

Like so many others milk, but to be different I will add cheese.

Don Burrows - for those outside of Australia here is the opening paragraph from Wikipedia: Donald Vernon Burrows, AO, MBE (born 8 August 1928 in Sydney, Australia) is an Australian jazz and swing musician, playing the clarinet, saxophone, and flute. His best-known group is the Don Burrows Quartet: Don Burrows (multiple woodwind), George Golla (guitar), Ed Gaston (bass) and Alan Turnbull (drums). Burrows has played with world-renowned musicians such as Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie and Nat King Cole, Oscar Peterson, James Morrison, Tony Bennett, the Sydney Symphony, Stéphane Grappelli, and Cleo Laine.

A complete set of mint Australian Landscapes stamps (see http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15209 and yes it would include the 5s Harbour Bridge) plus as many early bird stamps as I could find.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

filatelista

Post by filatelista »

Not Bruce wrote: 15. Who is your favorite musician?

lol :mrgreen:

Not Bruce

Post by Not Bruce »

filatelista wrote:

...but it's true, I did all the music for a big fiftieth party the other week and I can be booked for New Year's Eve etc...

I also host and write quizzes for charity, though this is getting out of hand - and I must stop saying "I'll work for beer" as this isn't always a good idea.

You maybe wondering about the "slippers" epithet - one of my friends used to call me Captain Slippers as I didn't spend 99% of my time out clubbing etc.. (only 99.7%), I then got promoted to Rear-Admiral Slippers (for reasons that I better not mention here) and I'm now my final incarnation as DJ Slippers.
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com

filatelista

Post by filatelista »

Not Bruce wrote:
filatelista wrote:

...but it's true, I did all the music for a big fiftieth party the other week and I can be booked for New Year's Eve etc...

I also host and write quizzes for charity, though this is getting out of hand - and I must stop saying "I'll work for beer" as this isn't always a good idea.

You maybe wondering about the "slippers" epithet - one of my friends used to call me Captain Slippers as I didn't spend 99% of my time out clubbing etc.. (only 99.7%), I then got promoted to Rear-Admiral Slippers (for reasons that I better not mention here) and I'm now my final incarnation as DJ Slippers.

Hi there, Rear-Admiral Slippers :shock: :mrgreen:

nice to hear from you again. Its kinda funny to know that we (philatelists) are, after all, normal human beings (well..... we try, dont we?).

in terms of dj´s im more into DJ Fancypants :wink:

kind regards

austcollect

Post by austcollect »

I was about 7 or 8 years old, and my father collected stamps and gave me some duplicates. I stopped at about age 16, then started again age 38.

Australia - Kangaroos, KGV Heads, Colonies/States

Australia - Kangaroos

Average 20 hours, mainly spent aquiring - viewing auction catalogues, ebay, reading Stampboards. Not enough time spent processing - sorting, soaking, identifying, putting in albums, etc.

Watching TV, movies, playing golf.

Star Wars

Australia - 1913 1d red Kangaroo. The Kangaroo and Map is such a great and iconic stamp design for Australia.

Roast lamb

Chemical Engineer - seems to be many engineers on Stampboards

Cameron Diaz

Futurama

Reading in Stamp News magazine or from Glen Stephens website.

Milk

More NSW Sydney Views and Victoria Half Lengths.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

I was 5 years old, and one of the neighbours asked my Mum what I wanted for Christmas. Mum said "I don't know but please don't buy him a toy car because he's got boxes full". So I got a starter stamp album, a packet of stamps, some hinges and a copy of the XLCR stamp finder. I never really stopped - it's just always been there.

Germany - mainly the Soviet Zone and the 1945-49 Locals, Sudetenland, Danzig Postmarks and the 1931 Mophila Exhibition, although I do collect "all" of Germany up to 2000. I also have a basic Australia collection, basic Austria, basic USA, basic Russia/USSR with some Baltic states and "new republics", Korea (N & S), Vietnam (N & S). For topicals/thematics I collect mainly Project Apollo and Rugby Union World Cup, but also the Millennium, Hockey (Field and Ice), Esperanto... Oh, and there's a pre-1940 Worldwide Shaubek Album that I'm trying to fill! AND I collect pre-1950 catalogues and philatelic literature - and vintage philatelic memorabilia / accessories

All of the above!!!

About 2-3 hours a day, so maybe 20 hours.

I don't have enough time for this one, but I enjoy reading and following Fylde Rugby Club when I can.

Terminator 2. And anything with the Marx Brothers in

The 1972 Munich Olympics miniature sheet. It was always just that bit out of the range of my pocket money, and it took me years to finally get one. Of course, now they are only a quid or so and I could probably paper the study with them (hey, there's a thought...)

Whatever is for the next meal!!!

Other people wasting my time. I hate queueing with a passion and get VERY impatient!

Trained as a geologist, joined the civil service after college, then got into IT

One of the Armstrongs - either Neil or Lance...OCT 2012 EDIT: Following recent events surrounding Lance Armstrong, make that Neil Armstrong

Frasier

Mailshot from Glen - I'd recently bought an ACSC catalogue from him and was on the mailing list

Cheese. And a bottle of dry Sherry

Gene Vincent - but I have very eclectic tastes in music

All those German 1945-49 locals that I can't afford!!!

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

gavin-h wrote:I also have a basic Australia collection, basic Austria, basic USA, basic Russia/USSR with some Baltic states and "new republics", Korea (N & S), Vietnam (N & S). AND I collect pre-1950 catalogues and philatelic literature - and vintage philatelic memorabilia / accessories [/color]
I never knew you collected Korean stamps, Gavin. :o
I could pick you up some stuff when I'm next in the local stamp shop. There are lots of little covers and envelopes for about 10p each. Lots of packets old and new, maybe even some old catalogues. I could stick them in my bag and bring them back to the UK in October, so postage would be from Scotland, not Busan. No problem, just email or post here :!:
It's good to shoot the breeze with like-minded people.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

1. When and how did you start stamp collecting? Started in the 1970's when you could buy Stamps from the back of Comic books. Stopped and restarted again in 2010 when I inherited my Grandmother's collection.

2. What Countries or topics do you primarily collect? USA, GB and Commonwealth Countries, and South and Central America.

3. What is your favorite country or topic to collect? USA pre-1940.

4. How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby? No clue and probably don't want to know.

5. What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes? Avid Golfer and Ice Fishing

6. What is your favorite movie? Caddyshack

7. What is your favorite stamp? No one particular favorite but the US Airmails pre 1930

8. What is your favorite food? Kansas City bone in Strip Steak

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is it? People that talk on cell phones while driving !!

10. What is your professional background? Electrical Construction, Project Management.

11. What one person, dead or alive, would you like to meet? Hunter S. Thompson.

12. What is your favorite TV show? Pawn Stars

Searching for information on my Avatar. Early US Encased Postage Stamp in my possession.

14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator? Beer

15. Who is your favorite musician? Muddy Waters & Howlin Wolf

16. If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy? The entire US pre-1930's including each type of the 1860's 1 cent Franklins and the Air Mail Zeppelins.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

LucaL

Post by LucaL »

1. When and how did you start stamp collecting? When I was 9 with a small amount of Italian used stamps.

2. What Countries or topics do you primarily collect? See my signature.

3. What is your favorite country or topic to collect? Napoleonic period

4. How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby? About 20

5. What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes? Cactuses.

6. What is your favorite movie? All James Bond movies.

7. What is your favorite stamp? The Basel Dove.

8. What is your favorite food? Stewed Fish.

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is it? No

10. What is your professional background? Chemistry and Physics

11. What one person, dead or alive, would you like to meet? Napoleon Bonaparte.

12. What is your favorite TV show? I don't watch TV.

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards? By chance.

14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator? Ice Cream.

15. Who is your favorite musician? I don't like music.

16. If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy? The Swedisk 3 skilling yellow.

:D
Luca
Luca - Interested in Napoleonic period, postal relations between Great Britain and Europe from 1793 to 1815, Jamaica pre-stamp mail, Samoa "palm tree" issues, philatelic literature.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

When and how did you start stamp collecting? When I was 7 or 8 my mother gave me her childhood album, saying "you might like looking at these". Sometimes she thinks she created a monster. :lol:

What Countries or topics do you primarily collect? As my signature says: Mongolia, Thailand, Laos & Cambodia. Also Mourning Covers, covers from embassies, anything to do with the 1939 Royal Visit to Canada.

What is your favorite country or topic to collect? Hard to choose a favourite, each has an appeal in a different way. Mongolia is 'fun' as its a bit on the unusual side. The first time I visited one of the auction houses in HK to pick up some purchases, the staff member brought them out and said to me, surprised "you collect Mongolia?"

How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby? Including time spent on Stampboards, a lot. 8) Then there's browsing auction catalogues, mounting items, 'doing' eBay (buying and selling).

What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes? Watching films, reading. I haven't owned a TV for over 4years, I watch everything on my computer.

What is your favorite movie? Some of them are the usual suspects--Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia; but also A Matter of Life and Death; Sunset Boulevard; Goodbye Lenin; Copying Beethoven.

What is your favorite stamp? Being bi-coloured adds a lot of appeal I think. Look at the 24cent Jenny compared to its later monochrome cousins. Or the British Empire keyplate types.

What is your favorite food? Thai.

What is your professional background? For the last 4 years, teaching English in Hong Kong (or "corrupting young minds" as I describe it :D). Before that, a uni degree in Art History, and post-grad studies in international development project management.

What one person, dead or alive, would you like to meet? Maybe Kublai Khan (yes, following the Mongolia thing), or Ivan the Terrible. I have a 'thing' for great rulers and tyrants. Explains why I always like the villian in Bond films. :o

What is your favorite TV show? American TV: The Office, Weeds, The Walking Dead, Seinfeld. British TV: My Family, Lead Balloon.

What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards? I did a google for "dealer buying stamps" or something to that effect, and Glen's website came up, which led to here.

What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator? A lot of empty. :lol: I eat out a lot--given my work schedule, its too late at night to cook when I get home, plus restaurants here are inexpensive.

Who is your favorite musician? Mostly classical, and within that, 'dramatic' and 'moody' music -- Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Beethoven.

If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy? More of what I already collect, but without being restricted in my budget. :mrgreen:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I'll do it.

When and how did you start stamp collecting?

It was 1956. I was 7. I know because I remember the US stamps that were current then. I followed my father and brother who both collected for awhile. It went dormant during the teen years and then I returned to it in earnest after a couple of tours in Vietnam. I found it to be a great way to get lost.

What countries and topics do you primarily collect?

South Africa, provincials, SWA/Namibia, Basutoland/Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana. Also Argentina and 1894 Brazil issues.
I also have collections that I have sort of put aside due to not enough time and money of Australia and states, New Zealand and Philippines (Republic). The first two are what bring me to this site.

What is your favorite country or topic to collect?

The Union period of South Africa - especially penny ships.

How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby?

Quite a few now that I'm retired and the kids are grown. Maybe 3 to 5 a day?

What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes?

Hiking and more hiking. I chose a place to live with miles of wilderness as my "backyard". Hiking has the same relaxing effect on me as working on stamps.

What is your favorite movie?

I saw that others said "High Noon". I have to go with that.

What is your favorite stamp?

I'm tempted to say the penny ship but actually it's the US 4 cent Trans Mississippi stamp with the American Indian hunting a buffalo. I was given this on my 10th birthday by my parents and I still have it.

What is your favorite food?

Anything Italian.

What is your professional background?

In the beginning it was the medical field and then I came here and worked in environmental health.

What one person dead or alive, would you like to meet?

Hard to say. Maybe Mark Twain? He'd be fun to talk to.

What is your favorite TV show?

The Mentalist.

What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find Stampboards?

Net surfing.

What is the one thing you always have in the refrigerator?

Ice tea.

Who is your favorite musician?

I like a lot. I'd have to say - Neil Young, Joan Baez, 60's stuff, jazz.

If you won the lottery what stamps would you buy?

As many Union lots and collections that I could. It's not the value, it's about having a lot to "play" with.

- Morgan

phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by phrag99 »

Just attempted to complete this thread and after about 16 minutes as I tried to post my submission, I got the message that I was "timed out".

Is there a problem with my computer?

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

There might be some advanced web browser settings you could tweak which would allow you to loiter in the edit dialog for a longer time.

I'd recommend you just type a response into whatever editor you normally use to write with and then cut and paste into the Stampboards "post reply" dialog.

Either that or type faster :D :D
G. K. Chesterton

portbelly

Post by portbelly »

1955- Back when JC played fullback for Jerusalem..

Australia - New Guinea - Fiji

Australia pre-decimal and first day covers - Anything to do with flight and birds

Too many my wife tells me!

Love my 4WD and escape to the bush when I can - fishing, don't do enough - flying - reading war history WW1

This is crazy bit I loved "Taken" Death Race" The Mechanic" It changes from week to week.

Far too difficult I'll phone a â™”friendâ™” and get back to you!!

٩͡๏̯͡๏۶See Food٩͡๏̯͡๏۶ Next question

☢Smokers☢ puffing away close to an open doorway when others are eating!! GRRRRRRRRR

Law - Aviation - Accounting

Einstein - wouldn't understand him but hey just to be in his presence.

rarely watch it get all my news from Cyberspace!

Glen's ೋnewslettersೋ

{。^◕‿◕^。}Space!{。^◕‿◕^。}

♫ ♪ ♫James Rhodes ♫ ♪ ♫ (Google) http://www.jamesrhodes.tv/

(◡‿◡✿)I would shop till I dropped(◡‿◡✿)

Portbelly

Remember: "We are but 'Caretakers' of our collection, treasure and care for until it is passed to the next Caretaker"
Nothing is forever!
Tempus fugit

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Thanks for participating Portbelly... and welcome to Stampboards!

If I won the lottery, after shopping, I think I'd travel the world trying to ascertain where the all-time best spot for fly-fishing is.

It would be a futile pursuit... like stamp collecting... never ending! :lol:

You better watch out or someone will ask you to create a tutorial :lol: on how to create all that "charset" art you're using! I'm lazy... I spell out stuff instead of using charmap to generate stuff like £, or ©.
G. K. Chesterton

phrag99

Post by phrag99 »

Thanks for the tip RobRoyH.

Here's my profile:

I was given a collection belonging to my cousin's mother-in-law when I was just a nipper.

Tonga postal history, Tonga stamps, Tonga postcards, some aspects of Nicaragua, Austria stamps to 1980 and UN (and more).

19th century Tongan postal history

Definitely too many. Not less than an hour a day, and if I miss a day, I always make up the time.

Grow my own vegetables, try to grow orchids, collect Wisdens, read avidly

Haven't been to a movie for at least 20 years.

Any of the Queen Salote definitives showing the young queen.

Eating any of my freshly harvested veggies, preferably with fish or lamb

Some people call me Mr Angry. 'Nuff said

Cancer specialist

Samuel Pepys. Intrigued why he stopped writing his diary and want to find out what the cheese tasted of when he dug it up after he buried it to avoid the Fire of London.

Don't watch much TV. Just sport and the 10pm news. I guess I like TV best when my team is winning.

I think it was through one of Glen's newsletters, but not 100% certain.

White wine, usually a nice Aussie one. However, have recently discovered some excellent Chilean wines, so this could change...

I have an eclectic taste in music, and my favourite varies from week to week. Of all recent groups, I just love Steely Dan, my all-time favourite of theirs being "Do it again". (Must be the only group named after a steam-powered dildo...) For classical music, this week's choice is "William Tell Overture" ( Hi Ho Silver, away!!)

I used to have a nice NSW used collection that I sold and wished I hadn't. With unlimited funds, I would try to put together a collection of mint NSW together with as many stamps as possible used on cover.

alyn

Post by alyn »

1. When and how did you start stamp collecting? I was around 7 (1980) watching my dad work on his collection.

2. What Countries or topics do you primarily collect? I am general world wide collector (accumulator) but Canada, GB and Germany primarily along with Christmas, Ships, Aircraft and Art from a thematic perspective.

3. What is your favorite country or topic to collect? Canada

4. How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby? Between 5 and 15 depending on work, the 2 year old and general family life.

5. What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes? astronomy, computer/html programming, fishing and reading.

6. What is your favorite movie? Don't know

8. What is your favorite food? Roast Beef

9. Do you have a pet peeve? If so, what is it? I have a few... well to many to list here.

10. What is your professional background? Federal Civil Servant

12. What is your favorite TV show? Big Bang Theory

13. What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards? Mentioned in another forum

14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator? Milk

15. Who is your favorite musician? Cold Play at the moment

16. If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy? A huge Box lot, I like the search for a hidden gem
Alyn Lunt
webmaster of the American Topical Association and International Society of Worldwide Stamp Collectors
member of the: RPSC, BNAPS, ISWSC, ATA

RaymondC
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by RaymondC »

When I was about 7 when it was discussed at school.
Australia and Malta.
Malta.
Never thought about counting them, but several hours.
Weight Training and Gardening.
Pay It Forward.
Saint Publius, there are three different ones that I know of.
Baked Macaroni.
People who knock Broadmeadows.
Polymer Engineer.
Albert Einstein.
Millionaire Hotseat.
I was doing a search about retail stores where I can buy stamps in Melbourne and a post from this messageboard turned up in the search results.
Something to drink, even if it is water!
Enya.
The Inverted Swan.
A stamp is a miniature work of art!

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

When I was a kid and when I saw other kids collecting stamps.

Malaysia, Federated Malay States, UK, Germany, Australia, Papua New Guinea, USA, Birds, Animals, Flowers, Taxed covers (contrived or otherwise) (just about anything that happens to come my way which is affordable or which I find attractive - very subjective).

Malaysia (stamps and covers) and German inflation covers as well as birds and flowers.

It can vary from 5 hours to 30 hours.

Gardening, bonsai cultivation, playing the guitar, messing around with fonts, Celtic art, a little bit of cooking, do-it-yourself stuff in the home.

Kungfu Hustle by Stephen Chow

Unique birds of Malaysia miniature sheet (embossed and with the word "Malaysia" inadvertedly omitted when a correction was made to the scientific name).

Anything that has meat, potatoes and onions together.

Can't stand people who talk very loudly, litter the place and park very inconsiderately.

I teach strategic management, corporate finance and cost and management accounting in a public university.

Padre Pio

Leverage

Glen through purchasing of stamps on his website.

My wife's favourite bottled preserves and sauces for cooking.

Beethoven

The PUG and the Straits Settlements $500 revenue stamp.

machin head

Post by machin head »

Part 1 -

my Uncle gave me an album and some stamps when i was about 9
Great Britain and Commonwealth, some USA, have a large Lighthouse and Captain Cook thematic collection, and some Bees!
GB
it varies, sometimes i don't look for weeks

Music is my main thing, i have a collection of 3,000 vinyl albums albums and singles going back to the 50's, i also build cigar box guitars and write and perform my own songs. I also have a model car collection of classic British and American cars from the 50's and 60's.
The Shining

Penny Black, Wilding definitives and a Finnish air mail stamp!

Spicy and interesting, though a bowl of Cornflakse or Fish and Chips takes some beating!
Cinderellas )-:
Security Officer in a London College
May 1840 - one of the greatest social revolutions in history!

machin head

Post by machin head »

Part 2 -

Robert Johnson - he's bound to have some new tunes!

Those David Attenborough films are fascinating, anything to do with History or Science, Sitcoms and sometimes Jools Holland.

while searching for a stamp collecting forum

i love my milk or coca-cola

Phew....would take me a week to answer that one, at the moment ME
a collection of Penny Black covers!
May 1840 - one of the greatest social revolutions in history!

Rog

Post by Rog »

When I was around 7 years old due to my Nana and Dad getting me into it. They both provided me with my first stamps.

GVI Commonwealth, GB.

GVI Commonwealth.

I don't know, at least 10 hours though I would guess - a lot longer if I am on eBay !

Computer programing and website design. Fish keeping. Gardening. MMORPGs

The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

GB Victoria 2d Blue with a red MX

Pizza

Text speech and reality television.

Landscape gardener. Working on being a Website designer full time.

Douglas Adams

Family Guy

Web search I think.

Cheese

Johnny Marr

All the GVI Commonwealth high values that I don't have !

jeannette_NL

Post by jeannette_NL »

When I was about 8 years old, so that will be almost 35 years now :roll: but some time during college and when my kids were very small I just had my books in the attic and didn't do anything about it. My family isn't one of collectors, so I don't really know how I started to be interested in stamps.
Started as whole world, but skipped some countries recently, but I still collect many countries. Thematic: wheelchairs on stamps
Netherlands and former colonies
Never really counted, on and off, more time in winter though
I love reading, everything and anything, watching a movie, playing tennis
pff I think I pass this one, don't know at this moment
Haven't one really
Pasta

I studied economics in University, agricultural economics to be precise, studied fiscal law later and work at an accounting office
Bruce Springsteen
Don't watch TV that much, only movies really
By browsing the internet
Milk
Bruce Springsteen
A very laaaaaarge box of kiloware :D

pre_1912_thanks

Post by pre_1912_thanks »

Got the bug when gifted my uncles collection (mostly world 50's - 70's packet stuff) in the early 80's. Was later given my older sisters collection when she had finished with it. Mostly lost interest until I came across them a few months ago ...

Australia states. Anything fish/fishing.

Australia states. Anything fish/fishing.

My wife might read this. And she would know to mulitply that figure by at least five.

Fishing. I spend a LOT of time building fishing rods. Not the dirty things you find on the rack in a fishing shop either :evil:

Forrest Gump.

Australia states forgeries. I can't explain why. I just love them.

Meat. With a side of meat.

Vegans (vegan by choice as opposed to vegan by religion). I come from a family of chefs :wink:

Public servant for many years. Custom fishing rod builder by 'trade'. I still do the odd commissioned rod to support my fishing habit. My stamp collection will be far more impressive when I find a local stamp dealer who takes payment in hand-crafted fishing rods :lol:

The guy that invented beer. Men the world over will be forever grateful.

Whatever the kids let ME watch on MY television :evil:

Google search.

Milk. I'm NOT a morning person and I like my coffee with milk!

Stevie Nicks. No question.

I think I should just concentrate on catalogues and storage first!
"If you buy cheap crap, you still end up with a collection of crap."
Collecting world-wide flora and fauna, specialising in marine wildlife and fishing.

simonbb
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by simonbb »

As a teenager in the 1950s and 1960s
Southern Africa, Switzerland and Gold Coast
At the moment, Switzerland
2 hours
Travelling in Africa
Academic - Social science
A friend in South Africa

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

simonbb wrote:14. What is one thing you always have in your refrigerator?
A friend in South Africa
Is that a new concept in social housing, or are you having a heatwave down there? :lol:

simonbb

Post by simonbb »

My response about a friend in South Africa was an answer to both questions - the contact and the fridge - the fridge because of his cool sense of humour. There is also lots of blue cheeses.

bathurst stamper

Post by bathurst stamper »

When and how did you start stamp collecting?

My late father collected (read hoarded) stamps, I was aware of this before I started school in the mid '70s

What Countries or topics do you primarily collect?

New South Wales numeral cancellations & Belgium to 1949 are my current projects

What is your favorite country or topic to collect?

New South Wales

How many hours a week do you spend on this hobby?

Clearly not enough because everything else I have to do gets done :lol:

What are some of your other hobbies or pastimes?

I collect Pre WW2 VFL Collingwood Cards

What is your favorite movie?

The Time Machine (1960)

What is your favourite stamp?

Terribly hard question. At this minute flip a coin between the 1897 New South Wales 2'6 Charity and the Belgium 1924 Stamp 75th Anniversary.

What brought you to Stampboards or how did you find out about Stampboards?

From a telephone conversation with Glen

Who is your favorite musician?

Probably Blind Willie McTell

If you won the lottery, what stamps would you buy?

GB One Pound Seahorse, GB One Pound PUC and loads of New South Wales Sydney Views & Laureates
No longer in Bathurst, but too good a double pun to request a name change.

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

Any new members want to add to this?
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”