*DONATE NOW* to the Stampboards AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRES APPEAL

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: *DONATE NOW* to the Stampboards AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRES APP

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:
Somerset wrote:The UK media haven't mentioned the fires for a couple of weeks. Are they under control or has the media focus just shifted.

At the risk of stating the obvious - if a Brit donates an Australian dollar to the appeal, you are only giving 50p. I'm going to have to donate again as I hadn't realised.
Somerset -- there are still fires, and luckily scattered rains have given respite in some, but not all, areas.

Vast areas of this massive continent still are as dry as they were before Xmas, and we have 2 months of bushfire season ahead.

TV News tonight stated about one third of the large NSW Koala population has been wiped out in the past 2 months.

We are on the cusp on making donation $12,500 this week, so all help is gratefully appreciated, in ANY currency! :lol: :lol:

Glen
BBC News website reported at the weekend that virtually all the NSW fires were put out by the rain, and that there was now widespread flooding.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

An example of ongoing post fire costs.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Ian, many Brits wildly underestimate the SIZE of this continent.

We get tourists arriving on a Monday planning to rent a car, and drive around the coastline in 7 days etc, as you can do in Britain. :roll:

The red current active large fires CURRENTLY on this government website, just on east coast alone is WAY over the size of the entire UK alone.

https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/map.html
The country has months of fires to come. Much of the undergrowth is tinder dry.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Most of the NSW fires are now out and the remaining large ones have gone quiet. It's a combination of the recent weather event that poured rain up north and along the coastal fringe and the fact that the fires are running out of stuff to burn in NSW. Some fires have burnt for near 7 months!

The rebuild will take years. Some areas are kaleidoscopes of burnt and green stripes.

Mogo Zoo (a favourite of mine) was not burnt, they saved all the animals. Even then, they will not reopen until March 1 after closing in Dec during the height of the fires. That's their entire holiday season gone. They still have to feed and care for those animals with no one around. I'm booking in a March weekend to go visit.

The remaining fires not yet out, NSW 18th Feb 2020

Other areas in other states are still watching.

A news report said that the fires have burnt 14,000,000 hectares = the size of Belgium and Denmark combined.

But other states - Victoria for example have not gone up in flames (except for the east) and people will be wary until mid April.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
A news report said that the fires have burnt 14,000,000 hectares = the size of Belgium and Denmark combined.
At least that I'd suggest.

Today's donations have just tipped us into the next $500, so $12,500 donated so far to front line support from generous members like those above - thanks so much folks! :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

For those countries not using the metric system.

Denmark 16577. Belgium 11849. Switzerland 15940. Totals 44356.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Thanks for that Terry!

For other United States members, comparing the burned area to the sizes of our states.....

25 Wisconsin 54,314
26 Florida 53,997

An area slightly larger than the entire state of Florida has been destroyed... rapidly approaching the size of Wisconsin.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Support still continues - we are at $13,000 donated as of today - thanks to those readers for their ongoing assistance in our tally and YOU too can assist!

Donate whatever you can spare by PayPal, in ANY currency, to admin [at] stampboards.com - it all adds up. :)

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

Glen, congratulations for a job well done, and very necessary.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Members of the North Toronto Stamp Club, and 2 other local Canada Societies, combined their efforts with local auctions and fundraisers there, to add $C300 in the last donation made. 8)

Many thanks to Simon and Victoria there for their very hard work, and to our Volunteer Moderator member Jean here, Canada Stamper who is the newsletter Editor of NTSC, from which the snippet above is taken. :mrgreen:

And many thanks to the Toronto Clubs for waiving all their normal commissions, to maximise the total raised for this superb cause. :idea:

Glen

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”