NEW STAMPBOARDS goes live - ** JUNE 1 ** - please read up!!

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

NEW STAMPBOARDS goes live - ** JUNE 1 ** - please read up!!

Post by Global Administrator »

Winter officially starts in Australia on June 1, so as many are spending more time indoors, COVID or not, we decided it was the perfect time to do the big new launch! 8)

Stampboards at this moment is about to migrate to brand new and secure and powerful USA based servers, and new hosting company to Government Grade security and firewalls, and at the SAME time, upgrade to the fastest and latest version of the phpBB software. A double whammy - a very major step forward for us all.

WAY overdue, due to the huge size of the board. The world’s largest and best stamp Bulletin Board just got better still. And totally FREE to everyone as always.

This process will take some hours to complere - 8 or 10 hours we are told, if there are no unexpected tech issues - literally a million self-hosted images to move etc, and 6.5 million posts to Index and move etc - apologies for the short downtime you will experience over the weekend, soon after this post.

Our New York based tech whizz Yuri will start on this epic project on Sunday his time, so ideally it will be all up and running by the early hours of June 1, Sydney time. Maybe earlier, if all the stars align. 8)

Rigorous back end testing of the new site has been done for the past week or so, and all the reports are, that it is all stable and robust, and zipping along smoothly.

100s of hours behind the scenes has taken place in recent months in careful and thorough preparation for this, and $1000s in cash, so fingers crossed we will make it as smooth as humanely possible!

Loading images will now be possible direct from your phone, or tablet, or laptop - a VAST improvement. And 20% LARGER size images will now be possible to load too, allowing for bigger details of designs, flaws and reference pages etc.

Blindingly fast, and far more accurate SEARCH results etc. “New Post” alerts by instant email advice will be restored again. (You can go into your preferences and select which threads you want to retain that for.)

Visit our full function testing/playpen board NOW to see a near exact mirror copy of what you will be using - https://new.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=90642&start=100

- DO road test it out while you are there, to get the feel of it in advance! Your current user name/password works perfectly there. THAT will be working right through - hosted on a totally different domain. You can use it all the time this site is down. BOOKMARK IT!

Thanks in advance for your patience, and please report here when you first see the new site!

Of course there will be a few hiccups and oversights that is inevitable - please report them below if spotted.

Glen Stephens, owner
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: NEW STAMPBOARDS GOES LIVE ** JUNE 1 ** - please read.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Hope everything goes well Glen.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Re: NEW STAMPBOARDS goes live - ** JUNE 1 ** - please read.

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

A major leap forward, so much better not to really on image hosting websites which can pull the plug whenever they feel like it :!:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: NEW STAMPBOARDS goes live - ** JUNE 1 ** - please read u

Post by Rog »

Very pleased with all the improvements, thank you very much.

Good luck with the move :D
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

Thank you Glen, and fingers crossed that everything goes to plan.

MJ Scorthorne
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by MJ Scorthorne »

Good luck.

Margaret

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

Hopefully the e-mail notification system will get back on track as instant it was when I joined SB. :D

wwm3
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by wwm3 »

THANK YOU Glen for all the work you do for us who enjoy philately!

Bill

Wayne1951
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wayne1951 »

See you on the other side. :D
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

All starts in another hour or so Yuri advises. :mrgreen:

DO bookmark the mirror site that is NOT being worked on - to get a feel for the new look and you can make posts there of course -

https://new.stampboards.com/search.php?search_id=newposts
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Joy Daschaudhuri wrote:Hopefully the e-mail notification system will get back on track as instant it was when I joined SB. :D
Well if you bothered to READ post #1 .................... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Global Administrator wrote: “New Post” alerts by instant email advice will be restored again. (You can go into your preferences and select which threads you want to retain that for.)

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Exciting!

When everything is back to normal, I believe the same domain (Stampboards.com) still exists, right? Looks fantastic!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Catweazle wrote:Exciting!

When everything is back to normal, I believe the same domain (Stampboards.com) still exists, right? Looks fantastic!
Yes this domain you are reading now, is what is being upgraded, starting any minute now, for a few hours - www.stampboards.COM

I have asked that www.stampboards.NET be left alone for a week or so, so we can compare the before and after sites. :)

We are also changing server hosts and domain hosts (different companies) all at the same time, so a big migration. 100s of hours of behind the scenes work in this, over some months.

Glen

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet ...are we there yet...

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

fromdownunder wrote:Are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet ...are we there yet...

Norm
The report just now from Yuri in New York is -

cPanel is experiencing a problem with its servers, which is causing all sorts of issues all over the net. Namely, I'm having trouble generating SSL certificates for stampboards.com on the new server.

New hosting company here is looking for a workaround for this. In the meantime, I have left the old site up as there's no point in taking it down until this can be resolved. Hopefully they can get it done soon.

MargoZ

Re: NEW STAMPBOARDS goes live - ** JUNE 1 ** - please read up!!

Post by MargoZ »

And... the new board is up and running 30 minutes before 1st June.

Congratulations and thanks to our guru Yuri in New York!

Happy reading and posting to all 8)
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Woo hoo, thank you for all your hard work
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Fantastic, thank you to everybody whose hard work made this possible!! I cannot wait to start poting!

Lundy :D

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

Lundy wrote:
01 Jun 2020 01:03
Fantastic, thank you to everybody whose hard work made this possible!! I cannot wait to start poting!

I hope that is gardening you are referring to........ :lol:

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Looks great. Fantastic job!
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

librarianc wrote:
01 Jun 2020 01:07
Lundy wrote:
01 Jun 2020 01:03

I hope that is gardening you are referring to........ :lol:

John A
Haha- first post on the new board and I am so excited I screw it up!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The huge transition of both servers and phpBB software seems to have gone super smoothly, and Yuriy in New York has very quickly and efficiently fixed a bunch of irritating little glitches the Mods have pointed out today, so all is sailing along like clockwork. :D

Yuriy also loaded a super powerful and super fast search Engine that most phpBB boards cannot support, but we now have the server grunt to do so, and BINGO - job done. Mega powerful - try it out!

BRILLIANT being able to load huge images (below) direct from a laptop here! They are auto saved to the stampboards domain, and never again will photobucket, IMGUR, or IMGBOX or others give us any grief. :idea: :idea:

We now have over a MILLION stamp images here saved forever. I booked a very large server to host it all so we are good for keeps now.

All of this is only possible when we have a phpBB Whizz like Yuriy to assist - I am a Total Tech Trog, have no idea at all on this stuff, and have never even sent a text message. If it were up to my 'skills', we'd be using blunt chisels and sandstone tablets to post our messages here!

Yuriy truly deserves a few gallons of strong coffee, and a car load of pizzas for battling for ENDLESS hours on this over recent months, to make our FREE board 5 times better, more usable and more robust overnight. Several members have asked me for his PayPal address to send him a little personal "Thank You" for his amazing work here, to fund the strong coffee (or whatever!) and Pizzas, and I am sure he will not mind at all - yuriy [at] rusko.org (Think of it as your oblique Membership Fee or Crowd Funding.) :lol:

A brilliant job, it really was. These things look smooth and seamless now to the casual user, but this has been the project from Hell, with endless dramas I will not begin to share here, to get away from our previous hopeless web hosts, get the domains released and unlocked (WAY tougher than you'd imagine) find a solid and efficient and robust new one for our new servers, (also a TON tougher than you'd imagine) get all those ducks in a row somehow, and then to move our ancient and unsupported and often corrupted data base to the shiny and newest phpBB version, onto a clean new server, in exactly the format and look we wanted. :!:

Glen

Swiss 1951 Lunaba MS used 6-20.jpg

Greg Ioannou

Post by Greg Ioannou »

Thank you and congratulations, Yuriy and Glen. This is a massive upgrade in so many ways. And it seems to have gone so smoothly -- all that careful preparations paid off!

Greg

AMark

Post by AMark »

The board looks Superb!!! :D

A Big Thank you to all those that have made this possible! :D

Cheers!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the October 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the October 2020 Postcard Exchange

Vict0riann

Post by Vict0riann »

Looking good! :D When I checked in 10 minutes ago there was no Stampboards, and now, here it is.

Now to read up on how to attach photos...

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Vict0riann wrote:
01 Jun 2020 02:55
Looking good! :D When I checked in 10 minutes ago there was no Stampboards, and now, here it is.

Click the "POST A REPLY" button to open the window. Just below the window you will see two tabs - Options or Attachments.

Click on Attachments. Now you can either "Drag and Drop" an image directly into the window or Click on ADD FILES to select your image.

Once you see the green checkmark beside the file name, click on the "PLACE INLINE" button to see the file put into the window.

Click PREVIEW to see how your message will look. If it is what you want, then click SUBMIT.

memphre
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by memphre »

librarianc wrote:
01 Jun 2020 03:13
Vict0riann wrote:
01 Jun 2020 02:55

Click the "POST A REPLY" button to open the window. Just below the window you will see two tabs - Options or Attachments.

Click on Attachments. Now you can either "Drag and Drop" an image directly into the window or Click on ADD FILES to select your image.

Once you see the green checkmark beside the file name, click on the "PLACE INLINE" button to see the file put into the window.

Click PREVIEW to see how your message will look. If it is what you want, then click SUBMIT.

WOW!

Just testing some of the display functions. Nice.
I even already have received my first notification of an answer to a previous post.

Great job.

librarianc: I do not see an «Attachement» tab below the window for text. I do have the «Options» tab
I'm on an up to date Mac and reading the boards with current version of Firefox.

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: http://www.delcampe.net/boutiques/memphre

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

This is what all members SHOULD see -- many are not - I will ask Yuriy to try and sort it.

How to Add Images off your device to stampboards.JPG

Vict0riann

Post by Vict0riann »

I'm also getting notifications, nice to be in touch!

But no "attachments" tab, just "options"...

Discussing this on the How to Post Photos thread, too, I think it is being worked on. :D

Cheers, Ann
Last edited by Vict0riann on 01 Jun 2020 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

memphre wrote:
01 Jun 2020 03:43

librarianc: I do not see an «Attachement» tab below the window for text. I do have the «Options» tab
I'm on an up to date Mac and reading the boards with current version of Firefox.

Memphre
We are still making adjustments to some of the settings. This has been a huge task for all involved and the things users point out will allow us to continue to tweak the software.

We should have this resolved shortly.

John A

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes, this is just a small tech glitch affecting some members - a simply fix for Yuriy tomorrow, who is now getting some shut eye after a marathon day for us. :D

After 3am Monday here and I too am getting some sleep soon - good to see it it 99% working super smooth!

Glen

Vict0riann

Post by Vict0riann »

Sleep well! The new forum is great, easy to read, bright and clear. Notifications coming through and congratulations are due to all who worked so hard on this. :D

Kipling

Post by Kipling »

Congratulations!

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Perfect job!
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: https://www.i-ng.org
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Very nice. Seems a lot snappier than the old one.

Attractive simple theme fits well.

Many thanks :)
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

lesbootman
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by lesbootman »

Thanks Glen.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Micky

Post by Micky »

Attractive indeed, congratulations Glen and of course a big thanks to those behind the scenes.

Michael

Mitgar62
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Mitgar62 »

Thanks Glen and to all the people who helped make this all work!

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Congratulations :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

IsraelNabo
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by IsraelNabo »

Congratulation on this big step towards the eternity of this board, looks super clean
The shortest route is the detour. It was the detour that was our shortest path.

PeeVee
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by PeeVee »

Congratulations Glen and the team, looking great!
Collecting 100 years of Australian Commonwealth Stamps

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Yuriy's the man. The Puffin would like to thank him if he can. And who knows maybe Glen as well ! :lol: :lol:
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Snap73

Post by Snap73 »

What an improvement!

For personal use, I use the internet on my phone. So the new look makes a world of difference to me.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Thank you for everyone who has made this possible. This seems easy enough to use even with no practice.

Wayne1951

Post by Wayne1951 »

Global Administrator wrote:
01 Jun 2020 03:46
This is what all members SHOULD see -- many are not - I will ask Yuriy to try and sort it.

Just tried to list in the "For Sale" and could not load images. Worked when I tested on the beta site. I do not see the items below the dialogue box in Glen's post above.
Last edited by Wayne1951 on 01 Jun 2020 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Well done to Glen, Yuri & everyone else working behind the scenes. It looks like a great result. :D

melb cup east bentleigh 1960.jpg
1960 WCS Melbourne Cup stamp fdc.
It just seemed fitting this be the first image I post. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Outstanding work, thank you to All involved! :D

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Just one question. Is the "centre" button just for text now & not images as well. If I use it for images it does this:
Olympics 1956 Port Melbourne.jpg
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

petercollects0

Post by petercollects0 »

Well done and congratulations to Glen, Yuri and the whole team.

Cheers

Peter

Didge

Post by Didge »

Glen,

Congratulations mate. A great effort from all involved. To be free from the image software will be amazing.

Tim

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”