Deutsche Luftpost Zeppelin stamps. Genuine or Fakes Please?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MrSmith
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Deutsche Luftpost Genuine or Fakes Please

Post by MrSmith »

Global Administrator wrote:The genuine all of course have WATERMARK - the fakes do not, hence so many are added to fake "covers", with fake cancels.

Glen

Hello I am new here and trying to lean about these stamps, what do you mean by a watermark, is there a watermark in the paper itself or in the stamp image?

thanks.

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

MrSmith wrote:Hello I am new here and trying to lean about these stamps, what do you mean by a watermark, is there a watermark in the paper itself or in the stamp image?

thanks.
The watermerk is in the paper. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamp_paper#Watermarks
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Redacted due to amnesia.
With kind regards, Jim

Machaggis52

Genuine? Germany 1932 Zeppelin Chicago flight stamps?

Post by Machaggis52 »

Anyone care to venture an opinion on these? Watermark is present.

E-bay lot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GERMANY-SC-C43-C45-ZEPPELIN-CHI ... 1622568825
With kind regards, Jim

goof

Re: Genuine? Germany 1932 Zeppelin Chicago flight?

Post by goof »

First thoughts and appearance are that they are genuine, on a correct issue I noted the 1 of 1933 is slightly lower on the 2 and 4 values and the date starts under the u of Weltausstellung and finishes half way through the e which appears to be the same proportions on your copies. Perf 14 Watermark Waffeln

If not correct they are a damn good copy!
Hope this helps

Mick

Machaggis52

Re: Genuine? Germany 1932 Zeppelin Chicago flight?

Post by Machaggis52 »

goof wrote:First thoughts and appearance are that they are genuine, on a correct issue I noted the 1 of 1933 is slightly lower on the 2 and 4 values and the date starts under the u of Weltausstellung and finishes half way through the e which appears to be the same proportions on your copies. Perf 14 Watermark Waffeln

If not correct they are a damn good copy!
Hope this helps

Mick
Thanks Mick, I'll bid. :D
With kind regards, Jim

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Genuine? Germany 1932 Zeppelin Chicago flight stamps?

Post by Global Administrator »

Machaggis52 wrote:Watermark is present.
The fakes of course do not. :mrgreen:

The gum OF COURSE will NOT be orginal and hence his idiotic catalogue claims are wildly wrong, and anyone who'd buy ANY stamp from a snake oil salesman huckster from ARGENTINA like this, with PRIVATE FEEDBACK (i.e. you cannot see all his shill bids) deserves to end up with regums. :idea:

Gotta love those apparant ebay "bargains". :roll: :roll: :roll:
Machaggis52 wrote:I'll bid. :D

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Global Administrator wrote:
Machaggis52 wrote:Watermark is present.
The fakes of course do not. :mrgreen:

The gum OF COURSE will NOT be orginal and hence his idiotic catalogue claims are wildly wrong, and anyone who'd buy ANY stamp from a snake oil salesman huckster from ARGENTINA like this, with PRIVATE FEEDBACK (i.e. you cannot see all his shill bids) deserves to end up with regums. :idea:

Gotta love those apparant ebay "bargains". :roll: :roll: :roll:
Machaggis52 wrote:I'll bid. :D
Update:

Private bidders, so sent this:

Private bidding is a breeding ground for shill bidding. There is absolutely no valid reason to make bidder's ID's private, EBay does that already.

I won't be bidding further on this item, or on anything else where bidder's ID's are hidden.

I am not suggesting that you are engaging in anything untoward, but hiding buyer's ID's is a real alarm bell. Perhaps you may think about this, and change your mind. Without even the scrambled ID, there is no way to see if it is the same people pushing the price up.

Got this in reply:

hello, it is not exactly as you think, if it is not private does not appear the nick name but appears the amount of the transaction and with that i lost some clients in the past, there are a lot didders and dealers looking for this kind of information for stealing clients. just think...why is there on ebay the private treaty if you can not see the bidders? it is simple i do not cheat so if you want to you can bid or buy items and then you can inform ebay you suspect there is something wrong, then they will open an investigation. the result will be ok, as i have nothing to hide.
thank you and please be free to email me if you have questions.

New status:

Not bidding. :D

I did notice the gum, and altered my maximum bid accordingly.
With kind regards, Jim

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Machaggis52 wrote: ... why is there on ebay the private treaty if you can not see the bidders?
Why Mr Argentina snake oil salesman, is that ebay do not give a STUFF about shill bidding, as we can see here right now -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71583

The more shill bidding that goes on, the more ebay and paypal fees they get - they LOVE it. :idea:

Create a few shill bid accounts, and you overall get 20% more than you should, off the Bunnies. And ebay/Paypal gets 20% more as well. WIN-WIN for them all, and LOSE-LOSE for any Bunnies blissfully being cunningly bid up by sellers.

A match made in Heaven for the shonks. And with "PRIVATE" auctions no-one has a clue who bid what, or even their user coded names.

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Global Administrator wrote:
Machaggis52 wrote: ... why is there on ebay the private treaty if you can not see the bidders?
Why Mr Argentina snake oil salesman, is that ebay do not give a STUFF about shill bidding, as we can see here right now -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71583

The more shill bidding that goes on, the more ebay and paypal fees they get - they LOVE it. :idea:

Create a few shill bid accounts, and you overall get 20% more than you should, off the Bunnies. And ebay/Paypal gets 20% more as well. WIN-WIN for them all, and LOSE-LOSE for any Bunnies blissfully being cunningly bid up by sellers.

A match made in Heaven for the shonks. And with "PRIVATE" auctions no-one has a clue who bid what, or even their user coded names.
Yep. A shame really.
With kind regards, Jim

stampanthony
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by stampanthony »

I used to collect Germany on a large scale and there are a massive amount of fakes out there so please be aware even expertise's stamps are faked a guy went to prison a bit back for it in Germany my rule is treat all stamps of high value as fakes and if you get a real one its a bonus yea a bad way to look at things but I been collecting for 40 years and have discovered this to my own detriment

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

This is a genuine MUH set I just bought, with Schlegel Photo Certificate as "postfrich"

The corners of GENUINES must look like these. :)

So, even when fakers glue them to covers as we saw earlier in this thread, they are very easily spotted.

And added this absolute gem cover to stock today 419WQ for $A750 or about $US550. :mrgreen:

Glen

Germany 1933 Zeppelin 'Chicagofahrt' overprints set, on South America Registered Flight cover: 1 Mark red, 2 Mark blue, and 4 Mark brown, Michel #496-498. Addressed to Basel Switzerland. All beautifully tied to Chicago-South America flight cover, by crisp razor sharp 'FRIEDRICHSHAFEN/14.10.33/(Bodensee)' cds date-stamps.

Sent Registered Air, with Friedrichshafen “R” label, and quite superb strike of the special red triangular cachet alongside. Stamps are superb, fresh, well centred, with good perfs. The special green ink backstamp, and 2 different BASEL arrival cds of November 3, so this “airmail” cover took near 3 weeks! Michel Cat €1,550 = $A2,300.

Very attractive and astounding fresh and clean condition for 84 years - been in Europe near all its life. “Posted Yesterday” appearance, totally flat and unfolded and un-opened. Impossible to improve upon grade.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Machaggis52

Re: Deutsche Luftpost Zeppelin stamps Genuine or Fakes Pleas

Post by Machaggis52 »

cubeicuss wrote:Hi All,

I have come across an old Album with German Zeppelin stamps in them ... Could the experts amongst you tell me if they are real or fakes please.

Nothing has been written on the reverse of them
Regards Cubeicuss
The originals have a watermark, the fakes don't. (Well, perhaps I should qualify that, by saying I haven't seen a fake with a watermark.)
With kind regards, Jim

GlenStephens

Re: Deutsche Luftpost Zeppelin stamps Genuine or Fakes Pleas

Post by GlenStephens »

MacHaggis ... yes as MINT they will fool no-one - not even ebay Bunnies. (Well I am not betting my house on that!)

But when glued to old postcards or envelopes and whacked with real looking cancel fakes, as we saw earlier in this thread, a whole different story - these did fool many here, and today would fool many too - these stamps USED have huge cat. (If genuine)

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Deutsche Luftpost Zeppelin stamps. Genuine or Fakes Plea

Post by john6625 »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.

John :)
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

adisteaua1
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Re: Deutsche Luftpost Zeppelin stamps. Genuine or Fakes Please?

Post by adisteaua1 »

Hello!

I would like you to help me with an opinion about this letter and about the stamps used.

Do you think they are good or fake? I would like to buy them.

Thank you!

Attachments
Captură de ecran din 2020-07-31 la 19.10.20.png

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

The cancels look suspicious and in my opinion they are fake. I can't speak about the stamps but most likely they're fake too.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

richwong
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by richwong »

I think the real proof is the forger left this pair of stamps is imperf vertically! :lol: :roll:

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

richwong wrote:
01 Aug 2020 12:55
I think the real proof is the forger left this pair of stamps is imperf vertically! :lol: :roll:
I agree!!!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

adisteaua1 wrote:
01 Aug 2020 03:15
Hello!

I would like you to help me with an opinion about this letter and about the stamps used.

Do you think they are good or fake? I would like to buy them.

Thank you!

Stamps, all cancels, all handstamps all screamingly obvious amateur rubber stamp, fuzzy FAKES.

Let me guesss-- an Ebay BARRRGHHHIIINN ??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Luigi
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Luigi »

The maker of the cover only got a few things wrong:

1) the left hand typescript relates to a 29 May 1931 flight to Seville, Spain, via Toulouse (which didn't take place according to my Sieger catalogue). Anyhow, how could any typist get the spacing so badly wrong, and then extend the typing across onto the 4m 'Polar Flight' stamp, when these 'Polar flight' stamps were actually issued on 22nd July, 1931? The issue of lack of perforations had already been spotted by another member. However, the forger could have made the cover more interesting by having one of the 1m reds having the 'opt without hyphen' flaw.

2) Why is there a Swiss cancellation of Romanshorn 10th Oct 1931 on the envelope, when the sender and addressee are in Germany, and the flight was from to Germany via South America? The fact that the base of this cancel is missing indicates it has been copied from another source. (There was a Zeppelin flight to Switzerland on 3rd Nov 1931).

3) Was the red oval On-Board cancellation in use in late 1931?

4) The Friedrichshafen cds is far too thick - the originals I have on cover are all thin, using metal rather than rubber.

5) The green flight cachet - on comparing this with the example in the Sieger catalogue I notice a few differences.

This would be a useful example for a club quiz (for whenever we can get back to club events?) to see how many errors can be spotted. If I have missed any please correct me.

adisteaua1

Post by adisteaua1 »

Hello!
Thank you very much for your help.
I remain grateful!
Goodbye!

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Luigi wrote:
03 Aug 2020 01:47
The maker of the cover only got a few things wrong:
In the game of cat and mouse, the mouse needs to win EVERY time. The cat only needs to win ONCE... :idea:

andy66
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by andy66 »

I know nothing about Zeppelin's...but doing postal history is more than enough to unmask some fakes. First thing to look is CDS made of rubber instead of metal, and these are quite unmistakable

:shock: :shock:
Andy66
Friuli - Italy

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”