France and French Colonies stamps - Discussion Thread

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: France and French Colonies stamps - Discussion Thread

Post by Lundy »

Here are a few bits i picked up in a collection, or as they looked interesting..

First a postcard, Tresor et Postes- 517 assuming an army post office, French occupation of Salonica??
IMG_20200824_0013.jpg
IMG_20200824_0009.jpg
An interesting mourning entire obviously a person of importance - I think the deceased was Antoine-Victoire Alphonse Viscount of Quelen? a colonel in the cavalry, my French is very shoddy indeed so if anybody can add anything else interesting- also he was awarded the Legion D'honnour ....
IMG_20200824_0011.jpg
IMG_20200824_0010.jpg
Finally much more plain but i liked this simple French Tangier to USA cover which i assume was underpaid due to the T mark...
IMG_20200824_0007.jpg
A few other bits to come

Lundy :D

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Ceres.

The examples in the lot that I am going over tend to confirm that there is a great deal of variation in the overprints, even between adjoining stamps.

I assume there are some catalogues or handbooks on this subject.

Also found in this lot were two revenue stamps from Lebanon. Both are 2 Piaster stamps, but with different colors and overprints.

An orange France revenue stamp overprinted with a two line black overprint: "G. L. // P. S. 2" with part of a purple CDS on the upper right corner and a manuscript cancel:

Grand Liban 2 Piaster Orange Revenue Stamp Overprinted G. L. P. S. 2
Grand Liban 2 Piaster Orange Revenue Stamp Overprinted G. L. P. S. 2

A blue France revenue stamp overprinted with a five line black overprint: "ETAT DU // GRAND LIBAN // -- // DROIT FISCAL // P. S. 2" with a partial black cancel on the upper left corner and a manuscript cancel:

Grand Liban 2 Piaster Blue Revenue Stamp
Grand Liban 2 Piaster Blue Revenue Stamp

Any information on these revenues? Where are they cataloged?

Cheers,

Carmel

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

I never know how to tell the France Ceres from the colonies Ceres. Can someone point me in the right direction on these 3?
Attachments
IMG_20200831_0003.jpg
IMG_20200831_0002.jpg
IMG_20200831_0001.jpg
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

gugusg
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by gugusg »

All are french stamps.

First 2 are from bordeaux issues (1870) and the first one is the first stamp of France (1849)
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Thank you.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

gugusg

Post by gugusg »

gugusg wrote:
01 Sep 2020 08:53
All are french stamps.

First 2 are from bordeaux issues (1870) and the last one is the first stamp of France (1849)
correction :mrgreen:
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/

jherek99
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by jherek99 »

French Morocco Air Post 1939 - 1940 YT 55 Interesting variety with the reversal of the opposite stamp.
Attachments
IMG_0271 (1).JPG

OokamiSopot
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by OokamiSopot »

Good day. My name is Piotr and I live in Poland. For many years I have been buying and selling classic stamps from all over the world. Recently, I managed to buy a large collection of French colonies. I came across this forum and I have been reading this thread thoroughly for the last 3 days. I am impressed by the vast knowledge of the experts gathered here.
I have prepared some photos of the general issue for the colony that I have. I would be very grateful for any comments on these stamps, is there anything more interesting or rare here?

Unfortunately, I noticed that I can't add photos to the post ?? Can someone please help me on this?

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

OokamiSopot wrote:
18 Oct 2020 21:47
Unfortunately, I noticed that I can't add photos to the post ?? Can someone please help me on this?
Hi Piotr and welcome to Stampboards.

First you should go to this thread and make sure you introduce yourself properly - this was in the welcome email you received.

Once you've done that then if you read this thread you will see how to add images into your posts. It's quite easy, you can even drag and drop them into the post if you like.

We're all looking forward to seeing your images once you have done this.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

OokamiSopot

Post by OokamiSopot »

Another attempt to add photos :)
1-scfopt.jpg
2-scfopt.jpg
3-scfopt.jpg
4-scfopt.jpg
5-scfopt.jpg
6-scfopt.jpg
7-scfopt.jpg
8-scfopt.jpg
9-scfopt.jpg
10-scfopt.jpg

gugusg

Post by gugusg »

I will comment every cancel This evening;-) i might be interested in some if you are selling

gugusg

Post by gugusg »

OokamiSopot wrote:
18 Oct 2020 23:04
Another attempt to add photos :)
PD Reunion - Cochinchina (Saigon probably) - Martinique St Pierre probably - fake
Martinique St Pierre probably - Oceanie / papeete - MQE Martinique - Mayotte Nossi bé

OokamiSopot wrote:
Blue lozange probably reunion - black lozange reunion probably - indistinct lozange - losange indistinct also
Indiscting lozange - anchor lozange - reunion lozange (?) - anchor lozange
Indistinct lozange - indistinct lozange - MQE Martinique
OokamiSopot wrote:
Indistinct lozange - indistinct lozange - MQE Martinique - MQE Martinique - anchor lozange
Indistinct lozange - indistinct lozange - MQE Martinique - indistinct lozange - indistinct lozange
Lozange pondichery - indistinct lozange - SNG losange Senegal - Tahiti Oceanie Papeete - Guadeloupe pointe à pitre
OokamiSopot wrote:
probably unofficial essay on thick card - MQE lozange martinique - MQE lozange martinique
OokamiSopot wrote:
French bordeaux stamps - French mutilated stamp (no value) - probably French mutilated stamp (no value) - Lozange reunion probably - Losange GPE Guadeloupe - indistinct cancel - Lozange reunion probably - Lozange reunion probably
OokamiSopot wrote:
Indistinct lozange - Martinique St Pierre - indistinct cancel - Reunion - PD circle reunion - Inde Pondichery - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre
OokamiSopot wrote:
Gudeloupe St Francois - indistinct cancel - indistinct cancel - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre - PD Réunion or Guadeloupe - indistinct cancel - Guyane Cayenne - Lozange Reunion
OokamiSopot wrote:
indistinct cancel - lozange MQE Martinique - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre - MQE Martinique - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre - Bordeaux french stamps - indistinct cancel
OokamiSopot wrote:
mutilated french stamps no value - mutilated french stamps no value - indistinct cancel - mutilated french stamps no value - indistinct cancel - indistinct cancel - lozange from Mayotte probably - indistinct cancel
OokamiSopot wrote:
Saigon Cochinchine - mutilated french stamps no value - indistinct cancel - Guadeloupe basse terre - Guadeloupe - Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre Paq Ang - - mutilated french stamps no value - mutilated french stamps no value - mutilated french stamps no value probably

OokamiSopot

Post by OokamiSopot »

As always, impressive knowledge and a hawk eye. Thank you very much. I will try to show you the next portion today. Thank you once again. If you are interested in any of this, please write a message.

OokamiSopot

Post by OokamiSopot »

second part
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
This time, of course, I am able to read many cancels, but I hope for other comments, some curiosities, etc.

gugusg

Post by gugusg »

OokamiSopot wrote:
20 Oct 2020 02:18
second part
Kebao tonkin - Haiphong tonkin - Reunion St Denis - ? - Guadeloupe pointe à pitre - Guadeloupe pointe à pitre - Guadeloupe
Reunion lozange - PD Reunion - Martinique Fort de France - Madagascar Tamatave - french stamp - Martinique St Pierre - Guadeloupe Pointe à Pitre
OokamiSopot wrote:
Martinique St Pierre - Martinique (?) - Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre - Guadeloupe Basse terre - Guadeloupe pointe à pitre - Réunion St (to identify) - Guadeloupe Basse Terre
Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre - Guadeloupe (?) - Col FR Paq ... N°2 (maritime cancel) - St Louis Senegal - Guadeloupe - Martinique St Pierre - Guadeloupe Basse Terre
OokamiSopot wrote:
Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre - Inde Pondichery - Tamatave Madagascar ? - Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre - Porto Novo Dahomey - Guadeloupe Pointe à pitre - XX-Khouang ?
OokamiSopot wrote:

This time, of course, I am able to read many cancels, but I hope for other comments, some curiosities, etc.
others are not in my aera ! ;)

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Here is a nice cover (I think) a long way from many of the lovely classic stamps shown, it is an oversize commercial cover from French Equatorial Africa sent 9/1/960 from Port Gentil to England it has a very high franking of 3330f featuring 6 of the high value sg276 African Darters stamp (which catalogued £12 each a while ago) it has a cancel saying something along the lines of it being received in Paris on 10/1/1960 in a bad state and was re-sealed...

I know it is probably not most peoples cup of tea, but I suspect this is a pretty rare cover....
French Equatorial Africa African Darters cover
Lundy :)

OokamiSopot

Post by OokamiSopot »

covers that have passed the true postal route are probably the most interesting element of philately.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”