Are these Chinese 1949 stamps legit or fake

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kelliegirl33
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Are these Chinese 1949 stamps legit or fake

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Is it normal for a stamp to have 3 sides perforated and 1 side imperforated ? Just wondering if these stamps are legit. No postmarks, cancellations, or gum on back. Not very " neat looking " at all. Need some experienced stamp eyes to take a look for me and let me know. All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_20211016_152430040~2.jpg
kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Are these Chinese 1949 stamps legit or fake

Post by kuikka »

Imperforated edge is not a problem. Depending on how printing was done that can be very common.

As far as I know, about 100 years ago it was common practice in USA to print definitive stamps in sheets of 400 stamps. They were then separated by quilotin into sheets of 100 stamps, leaving each sheet to have 18 stamps with one imperforated edge and one stamp with 2 adjacent imperforated edges.

I do not know the sheet sizes of these stamps, but they are commonly found with imperforated edges. At that time in China it was fairly common issue stamps without gum but I do not remember if these were issued without gum. These stamps are in my experience more common unused than used.
Sargonnas
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Sargonnas »

They are from the East China liberation area and issued in april 1949, here's a link to the full set:

http://stampdata.com/stamps.php?fdate=1949&fissuer=151

I cannot find anything about imperforations on this set but the site does mention them on other stest from that year.
Collecting interests:
Soccer theme, Netherlands and overseas territories, GB and former colonies
kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Thanks so much. I learn something about stamps every day from this site. I inherited a stamp collection consisting of a lot of foreign stamps that I know nothing about. I'm trying to get them all sorted and put in albums. I never realized there was soooo much involved in doing this. All the stamp expert folks are basically historians. Hats off to all you guys and gals.
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Sargonnas wrote: 17 Oct 2021 08:11 They are from the East China liberation area and issued in april 1949, here's a link to the full set:

I cannot find anything about imperforations on this set but the site does mention them on other stest from that year.
The first set on this web page has one stamp ($5, if I remember correctly), which was issued only with an overprint (a Chinese character meaning post) because that stamp had one difference in the design compared to the rest of stamps in that set: the tower in the middle had Japanese flag flying on its roof. The character was used to cover it. I mention this in case kelliegirl33 uses the site as her own reference (as the site doesn't seem to mention that).
Sargonnas

Post by Sargonnas »

kuikka wrote: 17 Oct 2021 09:57
Sargonnas wrote: 17 Oct 2021 08:11 They are from the East China liberation area and issued in april 1949, here's a link to the full set:

The first set on this web page has one stamp ($5, if I remember correctly), which was issued only with an overprint (a Chinese character meaning post) because that stamp had one difference in the design compared to the rest of stamps in that set: the tower in the middle had Japanese flag flying on its roof. The character was used to cover it. I mention this in case kelliegirl33 uses the site as her own reference (as the site doesn't seem to mention that).
You are right, I should have mentioned it's the second set of the page. Not the tower but the train with postal runner. Did they do overprints on those as well?
Collecting interests:
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Not for the reason I mentioned for the first set. Now I don't remember if they have been overprinted for any other reason, but on the second page there is a similar set where the date has been replaced with year only. They have been overprinted for other use.

I know that she didn't ask for information on the first set of the first page, but as stamps of that set are common, she may have them, too.

And correcting myself, the $5 stamp does exist also without overprint. But it is of fairly high value unlike most of the other stamps of that set, which are dirt cheap even in perfect condition (applies for the cheapest variants, there may be valuable variants that I am not aware of).
yellowduck
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by yellowduck »

kuikka wrote: 17 Oct 2021 07:56As far as I know, about 100 years ago it was common practice in USA to print definitive stamps in sheets of 400 stamps. They were then separated by quilotin into sheets of 100 stamps, leaving each sheet to have 18 stamps with one imperforated edge and one stamp with 2 adjacent imperforated edges.
USA stamps from the early 1900s (and some late 1800s?) can have a straight edge on any side it should be added, for people trying to imagine the sheet in their head.

A sheet was 400 stamps. A pane was 100 stamps from the sheet after it was cut into 4. But most collectors call a pane a sheet...

So a pane from the upper-left side of the sheet would have straight-edge stamps along the right side and bottom of that pane. Panes from the right of the sheet would be straight-edged on the left side.
yellowduck

Post by yellowduck »

Here's an illustration to show how straight-edges are created.

stamp pane.jpg

From a discussion about USA Washington-Franklin stamps. Found in a Google search
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

kelliegirl33 wrote: 17 Oct 2021 08:17 Thanks so much. I learn something about stamps every day from this site. I inherited a stamp collection consisting of a lot of foreign stamps that I know nothing about. I'm trying to get them all sorted and put in albums. I never realized there was soooo much involved in doing this. All the stamp expert folks are basically historians. Hats off to all you guys and gals.
You are really the "Perfect Newbie", you see something you aren't familiar with, ask sensible questions and are keen to learn. ;)

Members here are always happy to engage with that sort of question and respond accordingly. As you rightly say, it's basically history - social history about beautiful places and beautiful people (and occasionally not-so-beautiful people who ran ugly regimes). :mrgreen:

But there really isn't a dull moment - I started collecting as a very young boy and I'm still a beginner all these (cough!) 30 years later. There's a whole world of stamps out there with a whole world of stories to tell and a great hobby to keep your interest going. :idea:
kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

I do have the $5 from the first set...there is a mark..it looks like an upside down train...it's covering a flag

IMG_20211017_080919271~2.jpg
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

You do have it. The character used for overprint is 郵 . The covered flag is Japanese flag.
Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

Responding to the original question, one or two straight edges are quite normal. Very common in stamps issued in booklets like the example below. But I have no idea if the Chinese stamps in the OP were issued in booklets.

BC

97FE89DD-65AF-49E1-976F-12735626A8F2.jpeg
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
Sargonnas

Post by Sargonnas »

I do not think Chinese stamps from around 1945/1950 were issued in booklets. Stamps from this time are a maze of the ones issued by the arising communist regime and the retreating imperial regime. That resulted in a plethora of overprints on badly printed stamps.

A proper challenge... :lol:
Collecting interests:
kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Thank for all the info. Very interesting. 😁
dzhuo
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by dzhuo »

These are from East China and issued without gum.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. They are from the imperf sets (only sold in Tientsin) and then privately perforated in 3 sides.
2. The 1 side imperf was caused by shift and created the "wing" example.

#2 is common on many early liberate issues and I suspect that's what you have here.
All images of stamps I posted on this board are stamps I own (or used to own) except otherwise stated.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”