Heligoland stamps. Discussion of reprints, fakes & forgeries

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Heligoland stamps. Discussion of reprints, fakes & forge

Post by fromdownunder »

Moderator Comment:

I have merged the latest post from Moby into the general Heligoland thread which contains a lot of valuable information on Heligoland forgeries.

Moby, there is quite a bit of reading right here, but it is probably worth your time to go through the parts of the thread which interest you.

Enjoy.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

moby
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by moby »

Thanks Norm

I have read a lot of the post re Heligoland as well as other web sites but I still need help in identifying the ones I have posted

moby

bennyandersen
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Are any of these Heligoland Stamps Genuine?

Post by bennyandersen »

moby wrote:Hi

I have acquired some Heligoland stamps in an German States lot recently and I am having trouble determining which ones might be genuine

I am pretty sure that Row 1 stamps 1,2 and 6 are Hamburg reprints along with Row 2 stamps 1,3,5 and 6

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mike
aka moby

Hello moby !
You have 3 lines with stamps. Every line we count from the left.
START WITH MEASURING THE PERFORATION CAREFULLY !! IF ANY STAMP IS PERFORATED 14 X 14, IT IS A HAMBURG REPRINT !

Line one:
1. Reprint Leipzig type
2. Reprint Leipzig type
3. Reprint Leipzig type
4. Reprint Leipzig type
5. Reprint, indicated because of the colors and the un-sharp frames around the shield with the head.
I would guess the Leipzig type, but if you wish to know the reprint-type for sure, you just use UV-light. If you want this, we will later take another round, when you tell us colors in UV-light.
6. Reprint, Berlin type (if not perforated 14 x 14), indicated because of the un-sharp frames around the shield.

Line two:
1. Reprint, Leipzig type
2. Reprint, Leipzig type
3. Genuine according to the colors and perforation ! To be total sure try UV-light, and the reddish color goes to violet and the greenish goes to black with a greenish stain.
4. Reprint Leipzig type, unless the perforation is 14 x 14 (Hamburg)
5. Reprint Leipzig or Hamburg type, depending on the perforation. When I count in the top I come to 14 1/2, and therefore I guess Hamburg type.
6. Genuine according to the colors and perforation! UV-light will show deep/dark green and deep/dark red violet.

Line three:
1. This is one of the problem stamps in the Helgoland collection ! Only very, very trained collectors can come to a conclusion without UV-light.
There are 2 types of originals (a,b). There are NO Leipzig reprints ! There are 3 Hamburg reprints and 2 Berlin reprints. In fact the Berlin reprints are NOT common, although more common than the originals. You must do the following things:
a. Perforation measurement ! If 14 x 14 it is a Hamburg reprint, all 3 types common and you can end here.
b. If not 14 x 14, it is either 1 of 2 originals or 1 of 2 Berlin reprints. Now you do not come further without UV-light. To make it simple you ONLY concentrate about the RED COLOR IN THE CROWN !!
if the red color of the crown goes VIOLET or LILAC, it is genuine ! If it turns out in a sort of orange, it is a REPRINT !
2. Genuine and looks nice ! There are 3 types (a,b,c) and only UV-light can for sure show the differences. Statistical it is type a with 100.000 pieces, b and c each 20.000 pieces.
3. Genuine stamp and in my opinion the cancel also genuine (the price-difference between used/un-used is so small, that a faker normally will not misuse his time for a forgery). There are 5 types (a,b,c,d,e). a and e are the commonest (100.000 pieces each) and the the color of this goes towards type a. That is my bid. If you want to select for sure, you must use UV-light.
4. Genuine including the cancel. There are 8 types (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h) of this stamp !! 2 of them rare (a and b), the others not common but neither rare. The commonest type is g, but your stamp does not look like g for me ! The g has the red color describes as "red orange", but I regard your stamp to be eosin red combined with grey-green and greenish yellow. Therefore we end out with type d, made in 50.000 pieces. If you wish to be sure, the UV-light is the way. But quite a work with this stamp.

I hope you are content with my decisions.

Very best regards
Benny

moby

Post by moby »

Hi Benny

Thank you very much for your valuable information. A couple of questions if I a may

You identified the first 4 on row 1 as Leipzig reprints. How did you distinguish between Leipzig an Berlin reprints. Is it their colour or something else

I plan to sell these as I don't collect Heligoland (thankfully, early French Colonies keeps me busy) I though a fair price would be $3 to $4 AUS each, about 2 to 3 Euros.

Do you agree

Best regards

Mike

aka moby

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

moby wrote:Hi Benny

Thank you very much for your valuable information. A couple of questions if I a may

You identified the first 4 on row 1 as Leipzig reprints. How did you distinguish between Leipzig an Berlin reprints. Is it their colour or something else

I plan to sell these as I don't collect Heligoland (thankfully, early French Colonies keeps me busy) I though a fair price would be $3 to $4 AUS each, about 2 to 3 Euros.

Do you agree

Best regards

Mike

aka moby
Dear Mike !

It is a pity, that you do not want to go on collecting Helgoland stamps. It is a funny area especially because that the collector is forced to think and examine to get experience ! Not many countries have so many reprints and cancel forgeries as Helgoland !
Anyway, even if you will skip your Helgoland stamps, I will give you a last little lesson.

As to the 4 Leipzig reprints nr 1-4 in line one:
a. the perforated Leipzig reprints are speciale because BROAD teeth with THIN HOLES between the teeth ! You will find this on stamp nr 1 and 2. BUT: You MIGHT now and then (but nor normally) find
rather small holes also in Hamburg reprints (because of the higher perforation ratio 14), but as you have learnt those are easily selected from Leipzig by measuring the perforation ! With your 2 I have no doubt.
b. stamp nr 3 has rouletting as almost "clean-cut" (only minimal waves in the lower line). Originals are rouletted with a sort of un-regulare smooth waves. Therefore either Leipzig or Hamburg. There is only one Leipzig reprint (common), 3 Hamburg reprints (all common). The colors of the Leipzig reprint and Hamburg reprint nr 2 are much alike. Even UV-light is much alike in the two stamps !
If I am very stringent after looking at the stamp again, I will change a little to 40% Leipzig and 60% Hamburg edition 2. If I had it in my hand, I could say for sure which one to choose. That will be a job for you or the coming buyer.
c. stamp nr 4 has also clean-cut rouletting and here the colors matches to the single Leipzig reprint. No doubt for me. Common.

As to Berlin reprints: Berlin reprints looks very much like the originals, when we are dealing with the 2 rouletted stamps, you have. But the rouletting is not so "ragged (waved)" as by the originals and not so clean-cut as Hamburg/Leipzig types. In general Berlin reprints are rather rare ! As to the perforated stamps Berlin contra Leipzig we are back to the perforation: Leipzig has small holes and Berlin has normal holes. Thats the quick way to distinguish between them !

As to the value in a selling position: At least 4 of the stamps are not in good condition. Furthermore I do not know whether there are thin spots and no gum/gum with hinges/un-hinged gum.
Therefore an average price of 2,5 or 3 EUR each would be OK.

Now you know more than an average collector, and still you will not continue with Helgoland ! A pity.

Best regards
Benny, Denmark

moby

Post by moby »

Hi Benny

Thank you very much for the quick lesson. I have certainly learnt a lot over the past few days re Heligoland, but as yet I am not tempted to start.

Perhaps you should look at Guadeloupe or Reunion for some fun in collecting multiple variations of surcharge and misspelt overprints. Not as challenging as reprints but fun all the same

Again many thanks and perhaps our paths will cross again sometime

Mike (Australia)

aka moby

Remco Mouthaan
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Remco Mouthaan »

I still kept mine.

The time it took to provide the needed info here, was worth more then the stamps themselves. Now can never sell them without feeling guilty ;).

doug2222usa
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by doug2222usa »

Found this week; nothing to do with classic Heligoland, but I thought someone might like to see it.

Tazzie09
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Tazzie09 »

Hi
Hope I have the right area of the forum for this.
I inherited some Heligoland stamps from late grandmother, who was from Belgium, I've read through this thread but I'm not able to decide if they're real or reprints can anyone help at all?

Thank you

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

Tazzie09 wrote:Hi
I inherited some Heligoland stamps from late grandmother, who was from Belgium, I've read through this thread but I'm not able to decide if they're real or reprints can anyone help at all?

Thank you
Dear Tassie 09.
You have 3 stamps, all in bad conditions unfortunately. This makes the solutions difficult, but we will manage.
Let us call them stamp nr 1, 2 and 3 from above.
Stamp nr 1, 1 1/2 schilling: Rather easy. An original of this type has head type I (a round knot ending the hairs in the neck). Tis one has a cork-screw ending, called type II, which indicates a reprint. The perforation seems to be about 13 1/2 x 14 1/4 with normal perforation holes, therefore a Berlin reprint, probably 1. reprint out of three (the commonest one). UV-light would show which one, but without interest with this bad condition.

Stamp nr 2, 1/4 schilling with green frame: Also rather easy. Head type again type II, indicates a reprint (genuine one has type I). Perforation about normal (13 1/2 x 14 1/4), because of the bad condition I dare not say, whether the holes are small or normal, but some of the teeth seem rather broad, which could look like a Leipzig reprint, only one type and common (the other possibility is one of three a Berlin reprints, only UV-light would show which one og the three).

Stamp nr 3, 1 pfennig: Almost impossible by cp to count the perforation, it could be 14 (Hamburg reprint), but I think about normal 13 1/2 on the short side. I will stick to that, the holes seem normal. Therefore either a genuine one or a Berlin reprint. You could measure the perforation. If 14 x 14 the result is clear: A Hamburg reprint. If NOT 14 x 14, it is genuine or Berlin reprint. Then you must use UV-light: If the colors turn VIOLET and GREEN-BLACK, it is genuine, the Berlin reprints go ORANGE or clear RED-violet in the red color. The green color goes to a black type (as the genuine one) and is therefore not important.
Best regards
Benny Andersen, DEnmark
Come to work !

VFND55
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by VFND55 »

I was reading Allan Oliver’s “ Heligoland A Specialized Listing” (see below website provided by SB member Spencer – thank you) about cancellations of the Hamburg issues used in Heligoland. They were issued to the Hamburg Postal agency in Heligoland prior to the 1st July 1866.

He states that “covers were in most cases struck with a straight line Helgoland mark and a double circle handstamp inscribed HAMBURG ST.P. (blue ink) which were usually applied clear of the postage stamp.” Unfortunately, no examples were shown/available.

The two examples I have below (both perf 13½) fit this description but need someone with more knowledge to determine if they are genuine.
website: https://www.philatelicsannex.org/reference/Heligo.pdf

VFND55

Post by VFND55 »

I found an article from The Journal of American Philately (July 15, 1892) which shows this type of cds is correct (see no. 13).

Ship letters mailed on the steamers from Heligoland were not canceled on the island, but were canceled at the port of entry. Cancellation numbers 9 - 15 were used for this purpose.

Tazzie09

Post by Tazzie09 »

bennyandersen wrote:
Tazzie09 wrote:Hi

Thank you
Dear Tassie 09.
You have 3 stamps, all in bad conditions unfortunately. This makes the solutions difficult, but we will manage.
Let us call them stamp nr 1, 2 and 3 from above.
Stamp nr 1, 1 1/2 schilling: Rather easy. An original of this type has head type I (a round knot ending the hairs in the neck). Tis one has a cork-screw ending, called type II, which indicates a reprint. The perforation seems to be about 13 1/2 x 14 1/4 with normal perforation holes, therefore a Berlin reprint, probably 1. reprint out of three (the commonest one). UV-light would show which one, but without interest with this bad condition.

Stamp nr 2, 1/4 schilling with green frame: Also rather easy. Head type again type II, indicates a reprint (genuine one has type I). Perforation about normal (13 1/2 x 14 1/4), because of the bad condition I dare not say, whether the holes are small or normal, but some of the teeth seem rather broad, which could look like a Leipzig reprint, only one type and common (the other possibility is one of three a Berlin reprints, only UV-light would show which one og the three).

Stamp nr 3, 1 pfennig: Almost impossible by cp to count the perforation, it could be 14 (Hamburg reprint), but I think about normal 13 1/2 on the short side. I will stick to that, the holes seem normal. Therefore either a genuine one or a Berlin reprint. You could measure the perforation. If 14 x 14 the result is clear: A Hamburg reprint. If NOT 14 x 14, it is genuine or Berlin reprint. Then you must use UV-light: If the colors turn VIOLET and GREEN-BLACK, it is genuine, the Berlin reprints go ORANGE or clear RED-violet in the red color. The green color goes to a black type (as the genuine one) and is therefore not important.
Best regards
Benny Andersen, DEnmark
Come to work !
Thank you so much Benny:)
I'd never heard of Heligoland before, was thinking with my Dutch/Flemish heritage maybe she was from there and they were genuine!
I shall put them aside for my nephew for when he's older and maybe gets the collecting bug!
Thanks for taking the time to answer
Best
Jo

noernberg
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by noernberg »

This thread has been immensely valuable. Thank you to all for the discussions and knowledge sharing. Unfortunately, my eyes have not yet been trained enough to differentiate the various colors, or what to expect under UV light. I offer for opinion the following Michel #17 (Scott #20), or 1st or 2nd Berlin reprint? Can you please help me to judge?

The perfs have been verified as 13.5x14.5.
From left to right, the stamp is shown: normal scanner light, shortwave UV, multi-spectrum UV

Thank you for your time,
Doug

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

noernberg wrote:This thread has been immensely valuable. Thank you to all for the discussions and knowledge sharing. Unfortunately, my eyes have not yet been trained enough to differentiate the various colors, or what to expect under UV light. I offer for opinion the following Michel #17 (Scott #20), or 1st or 2nd Berlin reprint? Can you please help me to judge?

The perfs have been verified as 13.5x14.5.
From left to right, the stamp is shown: normal scanner light, shortwave UV, multi-spectrum UV

Thank you for your time,
Doug
Dear Doug.
We are dealing with Michel Nr 17, original or reprint ?
With the perforation 13,5 x 14,5 it can be an original or one of two Berlin reprints. The colors in normal light are equal both for the original and the reprints. The shown UV-pictures are of bad quality, but I think we can use the short wave picture. The all-round color can be defined as deep greenish gray, and this combined with the most important thing THE DEEP PURPLE COLOR IN THE CROWN tells us, that it is
an original Michel Nr 17 b, the best of the two nr 17. It has a short tooth in the upper part, but otherwise nice. If has gum, you have a fine stamp !
Regards
Benny, Denmark

noernberg

Post by noernberg »

Thank you Benny.

I struggled with the photos with the UV light. I used a digital USB microscope and tried to maximize the light in a dark room, but that's the best I could get. Regarding faults, there's also some small smudge of something on the front I see.

More importantly, though, is that although there is some gum, there's a nasty hinge thin that severely detracts from this stamp.

Perhaps someone would still like it, though. Thanks again! Cheers.
Last edited by GlenStephens on 25 Sep 2016 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing, which makes wordy posts far easier to read on Bulletin Boards!

Perften
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Perften »

Hello all I am currently cataloging my stamps and have run into a dilemma with Helgoland. I have 2 stamps of Mi 17 as per above the 3pf.

One is perf 14.5 x 13.5. Ok that's alright. But it's the other one I'm having trouble with.

It's perf is 12.5 x 12.5! Strange I have searched all the sites and specialists of Helgoland and its not listed anywhere.

I assume it's bogus but was curious of it's origin. Doesn't match the Hamburg or Berlin reprints so was thinking forgery? Any Helgoland specialists can identify a perf 12.5 Mi 17?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Perften - no members have crystal balls or clairvoyancy skills, so we need to see a PHOTO in post #1 of all new threads here. That is basic common sense. 8)

We have over 16,000 members here, from 150 different countries, who have made over 4½ MILLION posts or messages over 10 years, and we are the world’s largest Stamp Bulletin Board – by FAR.

ALL well asked questions will get an answer, as members are delighted to assist others. But, in order for them to assist, you need to do your bit, and add a PHOTO/PHOTOS of some kind. :idea:

Adding photos to posts here is an absolute cinch, and we have 100,000s of them here already – here is a simple step by step tutorial on exactly how to do that -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=284

Thanks - Admin

Perften

Post by Perften »

Apologies here is the stamp in question. Sorry about picture quality haven't got a DSLR at the moment.

Perften

Post by Perften »

Here is my other copy of this stamp with a different perf 13.5 x 14.5.
I assumed it is a reprint due to the orange of the middle but I struggle with subtle shades.
Has round corner BR. Other difference is it has a paler yellowish border arround the shield compared with above.

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

Perften wrote:Apologies here is the stamp in question. Sorry about picture quality haven't got a DSLR at the moment.

Dear Perften.
You might have a jewel in your hand ! Before Mi Nr 17 a and b were sent for sale, some proofprints were made. All those were perforation 12,5 x 12,5 ! My guess is, that you are holding one of these.
Otherwise it is a general, private false product. I have never seen this perforation before, and I have not could read, how many proof-prints were made. If you live in Germany or in a surrounding state, I would send it to test by a BPP-tester, easy to find on your computer.
I would think, that the color-signs in the proofprint is the same as in the later genuine ones. The only sure sign of an original you will find in the red color of the crown. In UV-light the red color will turn deep lilac or deep violet, a reprint will remain red or go to orange. If it goes orange or pure red, I would regard it to be a forgery.
Regards Benny, Denmark

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

Perften wrote:Here is my other copy of this stamp with a different perf 13.5 x 14.5.
I assumed it is a reprint due to the orange of the middle but I struggle with subtle shades.
Has round corner BR. Other difference is it has a paler yellowish border arround the shield compared with above.

Dear Perften.
This can be an original one (badly damaged !) or a Berlin reprint. Only UV-light will guide us. If the red color in the crown changes til deep lilac or violet, it is an original (a or b, but not important with this damaged stamp). It it turns into some orange color, it is a reprint Berlin (one of two).
Regards Benny, Denmark

Perften

Post by Perften »

bennyandersen wrote:
Perften wrote:Apologies here is the stamp in question. Sorry about picture quality haven't got a DSLR at the moment.

Dear Perften.
You might have a jewel in your hand ! Before Mi Nr 17 a and b were sent for sale, some proofprints were made. All those were perforation 12,5 x 12,5 ! My guess is, that you are holding one of these.
Otherwise it is a general, private false product. I have never seen this perforation before, and I have not could read, how many proof-prints were made. If you live in Germany or in a surrounding state, I would send it to test by a BPP-tester, easy to find on your computer.
I would think, that the color-signs in the proofprint is the same as in the later genuine ones. The only sure sign of an original you will find in the red color of the crown. In UV-light the red color will turn deep lilac or deep violet, a reprint will remain red or go to orange. If it goes orange or pure red, I would regard it to be a forgery.
Regards Benny, Denmark
Dear Benny!
Ah that is fascinating, thank you so much for this information. Possibly a very rare proof then. I will indeed need to attest this stamp.

After your information I found this in German:
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/192810427775825747/
translated to English : Old German States Heligoland, Michel 17 Proof Print. 1876 ​​3 1/2 Pf./2 F. dark green / vermilion / golden PROOF thick paper, perforated L 12 1/2, expended unused without gum, fresh color and flawless serrated luxury piece. These were at the time sent from Heligoland postmaster pilgrims to various journals, signed Richter and certificate Schulz BPP: "... test prints are very rare and are among the treasures of Helgoland philately.

Indeed to be careful I will still assume it is a forged copy of a proof :).

djkenn969

Post by djkenn969 »

I have just started collecting Heligoland (Yes, I know....I can feel the pity and chuckles already!))

I can find numbers for the original printings, and for some of the Berlin reprints, but cannot find quantities listed anywhere for the Hamburg reprints or Leipzig reprints.

The closest I can find is that over 7,000,000 were printed but I think this is for all of the reprints combined.

Are the quantities for each reprint unknown because of poor record keeping, government destruction of records, criminality of the reprinting business, or some other reasons? Does anyone have numbers or estimates?

Thanks for any information!!

Dan Kennedy
Last edited by Global Administrator on 13 Feb 2017 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing, which makes wordy posts far easier to read on Bulletin Boards!

faro

Post by faro »

djkenn969 wrote:I have just started collecting Heligoland (Yes, I know....I can feel the pity and chuckles already!))

I can find numbers for the original printings, and for some of the Berlin reprints, but cannot find quantities listed anywhere for the Hamburg reprints or Leipzig reprints. The closest I can find is that over 7,000,000 were printed but I think this is for all of the reprints combined. Are the quantities for each reprint unknown because of poor record keeping, government destruction of records, criminality of the reprinting business, or some other reasons? Does anyone have numbers or estimates?
Dan Kennedy
As linked earlier in this thread, please see http://www.fritzwagner.com/helgoland/robert_pollard_heligoland.html and http://www.philatelicsannex.org/reference/Heligo.pdf .

A good thread; well worth reading through. ;)

Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

This book has just been published by OUP. It might be of interest to our Heligoland collectors:

""Heligoland, Britain, Germany and the Struggle for the North Sea"
by Jan Rüger

The story of Heligoland - the small island in the North Sea, set between Britain and Germany, which came to stand as a symbol of Anglo-German conflict
... from British colony, to German naval fortress under Kaiser Wilhelm and Adolf Hitler, to British bombing range post-1945, and finally to German holiday resort in the late twentieth century
A fascinating and revealing microcosm of the often troubled relations between the two countries, over two centuries and two world wars"

Chris.

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

djkenn969 wrote:I have just started collecting Heligoland (Yes, I know....I can feel the pity and chuckles already!))

I can find numbers for the original printings, and for some of the Berlin reprints, but cannot find quantities listed anywhere for the Hamburg reprints or Leipzig reprints.

The closest I can find is that over 7,000,000 were printed but I think this is for all of the reprints combined.

Are the quantities for each reprint unknown because of poor record keeping, government destruction of records, criminality of the reprinting business, or some other reasons? Does anyone have numbers or estimates?

Dan Kennedy

Dan Kennedy
faro wrote:

I can find numbers for the original printings, and for some of the Berlin reprints, but cannot find quantities listed anywhere for the Hamburg reprints or Leipzig reprints. The closest I can find is that over 7,000,000 were printed but I think this is for all of the reprints combined. Are the quantities for each reprint unknown because of poor record keeping, government destruction of records, criminality of the reprinting business, or some other reasons? Does anyone have numbers or estimates?
Dan Kennedy
As linked earlier in this thread, please see http://www.fritzwagner.com/helgoland/robert_pollard_heligoland.html and http://www.philatelicsannex.org/reference/Heligo.pdf .

A good thread; well worth reading through. ;)
Dear Dan Kennedy.
Congratulation with your interest for this new collection area, Helgoland. There are lots, lots, lots of problems with this stamp-area, but I think you will be total fascinated as time goes by. Almost no area has so many fakes and forgeries as Helgoland ! But that is precise the funny and perfect thing about Helgoland: Any stamp gives some degree of trouble, until you have collected the area for years ! Then you almost simply can throw a glance on a Helgoland stamp and at once know, whether it is a reprint or one of the different originals.
Your question about Hamburg reprints can not be answered ! In my opinion nobody has an answer, because the answer is not to be found, not written down ! The Hamburg reprints were total un-official (like the Leipzig reprints). The Berlin reprints were official, and according to german standard ("ordnung muss sein") the amount of Berlin reprints are known to the last stamp. The fritzwagner.site, mentioned before, is a perfect picture of all interesting things about Helgoland stamps. In this site there is a list of possible searchings, including one called "Reprints", where the amount of reprints are mentioned for each stamp. There you will se, that Hamburg and Leipzig reprints are indicated with a "?" for each stamp !
When you can read in some catalogs, that the Hamburg reprints go up in several millions, the reason is, that the Hamburg (and Leipzig) reprints are so relative common, that we can compare the amount with the commonness of other stamps, for which we know the issued amount.
If you want further lecture of Helgoland stamps, you should look for and buy the best little book of stamps as to the old german states. It is called "ALT-DEUTSCHLAND unter der Lupe". It is a serie of small hefts, each treating with one old state or maybe 2-3 old states. That one dealing with Helgoland is also containing Lübeck. It is
Heft nr 5, 6. Auflage, PHILATHEK-Verlag.
Written in german.
A perfect little handbook, almost for specialists (like in fact the fritzwagner-site also is !)
Get to work !
Regards
Benny Andersen, Denmark

mikeg
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by mikeg »

For reference - here are scans of all the Spiro forgeries:

I am still missing the 1/2 schilling in reversed colors.

They are the only outright forgeries as far as I know.

bennyandersen

Post by bennyandersen »

mikeg wrote:For reference - here are scans of all the Spiro forgeries:

I am still missing the 1/2 schilling in reversed colors.

They are the only outright forgeries as far as I know.
Dear "mikeg".

What a beautiful (rather bad !) collection of forgeries, you have lined up here ! I think you are right. The other well known forgeries are to be regarded as reprints and are made i thousands/millions.

Yours are made in pieces. If only the reprints were all as bad as the Spiro forgeries, it was easy to be a Helgoland collector.

But especially the Berlin reprints give problems until the collector is "educated" for years in the game of Helgoland collecting.

Thank you very much for the beautiful photo.

Regards Benny, Denmark

KevinHedley
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by KevinHedley »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Well done Kevin .. and I too love those Spiros!

Talk about crude ..... however on ebay the clueless Bunnies would buy many of them as genuine - no doubt. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

antoniovirgilio

Post by antoniovirgilio »

Hi friends, I have always postponed the study of the stamps of Eligoland, but sooner or later I have to face it. I do not know how long it will take to read all the posts I think that in 2021 I will have finished and I will perhaps be expert :lol: , however the work of Robert Pollard is very accurate and interesting.

Antonio
If you give someone what they want, you will make them happy.

MPSStampCollect

Re: Heligoland stamps. Discussion of reprints, fakes & forgeries

Post by MPSStampCollect »

I guess it's my turn to throw my hat into the Heligoland lottery. Could I have any winners here?

Scott #1a - ½ Sch, rouletted, hook curl <br />Scott #4 - 6 Sch, rouletted<br />Scott #14 - 1 Pf/1 Ft, 13½ x 14 (measured)<br />Scott #20 - 3 Pf/2½ Ft, 13½ x 14¼ (measured)
Scott #1a - ½ Sch, rouletted, hook curl
Scott #4 - 6 Sch, rouletted
Scott #14 - 1 Pf/1 Ft, 13½ x 14 (measured)
Scott #20 - 3 Pf/2½ Ft, 13½ x 14¼ (measured)
The first three stamps just look shop-worn and smudged. I can't make out any discernable cancellations. However, the #20 appears to have a negative-space cross marked on it.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”