Airmail postcard from UK to Switzerland in 1943

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

SamuelGM
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Airmail postcard from UK to Switzerland in 1943

Post by SamuelGM »

Hello,
Does this 2 1/2 pence stamp on an airmail postcard from UK to Swtizerland in november 1943 pay the correct rate?

An additional question : what would be the surface rate for a postcard send from UK to a foreign country in 1943?

Samuel

Seapaws
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Airmail postcard from UK to Switzerland in 1943

Post by Seapaws »

Who cares. What a wonderful piece of history !!! Thanks for sharing.

Seapaws

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

SamuelGM wrote:Hello,
Does this 2½d stamp on an airmail postcard from UK to Swtizerland in november 1943 pay the correct rate?

An additional question : what would be the surface rate for a postcard send from UK to a foreign country in 1943?

Samuel
Starting with the final question, 2½d was the surface rate to everywhere except the British Commonwealth and the USA, where the rate was 2d. These rates continued through to 1957.

Regarding airmail rates, Wawrukiewicz sadly doesn't go back before 1947 in his book of rates from 1871 - 1999 because "they are very complicated" - duh, I thought that was the point of having a reference book!

My only reference is 1939, and the rates probably changed during the war. I know the cheap airmail pre-war was abandoned to most areas.

For Postcards, the 1939 Post Office Guide has:
To the British Empire generally, territories under British Mandate, the USA, Egypt, and Br POs in Morocco
Single postcard 1d, reply paid 2d

To all other places 1½d and 3d.
But this is the interesting part, and refers to a 90 page table listing each country and rates and rules applicable.
Postcards for countries against which the words BY AIR appear in column 3... are forwarded by air as the normal means of transmission; airmail labels or other special markings must not be used.
So although you weren't asking, I'll quote the similar paragraphs from the Letters by Air page:
EUROPE
First class mail (letters, letter packages and postcards) for all countries in Europe, except Gibraltar, Malta, Portugal and Spain, is in general despatched on weekdays by surface or air transport, whichever affords the quicker delivery. The ordinary international rates are applicable, namely 2½d for the first ounce and 1½d for additional ounces for letters, and 1½d for postcards.

SERVICES TO CERTAIN COUNTRIES ON THE EMPIRE AIR ROUTES
First class mail (letters, letter packages and postcards) for countries against which the words BY AIR appear in column 3... is, without exception, forwarded by air. Letter postage rate for these countries is 1½d for each HALF OUNCE (postcards 1d).

OTHER AIR MAIL SERVICES
Air mail services are available on payment of special air postage rates to most countries not covered by the arrangements described in the preceding paragraphs...... the air postage rates vary according to the destination....... A blue air mail label should be affixed to air mail correspondence on which a special air postage rate is payable.
I guess that explains why Wawrukiewicz declined to put all the details in his book!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

SamuelGM

Post by SamuelGM »

Seapaws wrote:Who cares. What a wonderful piece of history !!! Thanks for sharing.

Seapaws
Hello,

I do care, rates and routes are also a fascinating part of postal history! :wink:

Samuel

SamuelGM

Post by SamuelGM »

Hello,
Thank you very much Ian for providing me with detailed information!!
So if I understand well, this postcard is franked with a 2½d stamp for surface rate (althought the sender affixed a "by air mail label"), and possibly the postcard could be carried without additionnal fee by air (NB as far as I know only possible air transit was London to Lisbon by air, then Lisbon to Switzerland by surface...)

Samuel

norvic

Post by norvic »

Thank you very much Ian for providing me with detailed information!!
So if I understand well, this postcard is franked with a 2½d stamp for surface rate (althought the sender affixed a "by air mail label"), and possibly the postcard could be carried without additionnal fee by air (NB as far as I know only possible air transit was London to Lisbon by air, then Lisbon to Switzerland by surface...)

Samuel
You're probably right - although that wasn't the case in 1939 when Portugal was excluded from the airmail system along with Spain.

From what I've read about UK-Scandinavian mail during WW2 the situation was constantly changing. At one point the route to UK from Sweden (or was it Finland/Russia) was via Cape Town, Baghdad, Persia, southern Russia, Moscow, etc, and some of that was airmail and priced accordingly.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

davemui
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by davemui »

Hi Samuel

That is a very nice card- showing dual censorship (GB and then by the Germans in Paris) The postage appears to be correct for the period and service.

Boyle's book "Airmail Operations During WWII" shows the airmail postcard rate from GB to Switzerland as 2 1/2 d. from October 30, 1939 to the end of the war . The letter rate is noted as 5 d. for the first oz. and 3 d. for additional ounces.

Also of note is that from July 10, 1940 onward, the route was to Lisbon via BOAC or KLM then to Marseilles via surface or Spanish airline and then to Switzerland via truck or train.

Dave

norvic

Post by norvic »

For the benefit of Dave and Samuel I have bumped this thread again http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10082 - How to show various symbols including ½ ¼ ¾ â…› using your keyboard!

SamuelGM

Post by SamuelGM »

Thank you very much to all!!

Samuel

card12

Post by card12 »

Good evening,

Dear SamuelGM,
Does this 2 1/2 pence stamp on an airmail postcard from UK to Swtizerland in november 1943 pay the correct rate?

[...]

Samuel
According to Boyle Jr. (1998:231) Airmail Operations During World War II yes, it is 2 ½ pence to Switzerland.
(No postal source reported, just tables).
To other countries the values are not always the same.
norvic wrote: [...]
You're probably right - although that wasn't the case in 1939 when Portugal was excluded from the airmail system along with Spain.

From what I've read about UK-Scandinavian mail during WW2 the situation was constantly changing. At one point the route to UK from Sweden (or was it Finland/Russia) was via Cape Town, Baghdad, Persia, southern Russia, Moscow, etc, and some of that was airmail and priced accordingly.
Dear norvic,

Portugal was, during the WWII, one of the european airmail routes, internal and transatlantic.
The official statistics of the international airmail, using the Portuguese territory during 1939, have the following data:

Airlines – Aero Portuguesa; Air France; Ala Littoria; Lufthansa; Pan American Airways; LATI

Number of correspondances
Sent – 886 472
Received – 1 406 800

SOURCE
Anuário dos C.T.T. (1939)
It contains the Portuguese post office statistical data for the year 1939
card12
Postal history; Philatelic Literature

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”