Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

spike101
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

Post by spike101 »

satsuma wrote:Hi spike101.

When it comes to value in a stamp collection, condition is everything unless the stamp is really rare, that is close to unique.

Even then it matters - just not as much.

Your first two images are of common stamps in poor condition; they would be of interest to a juvenile collector to fill a space; but not too most adults.

Unfortunately, most young people have shallow pockets. If I acquired these as part of a collection, that had something else of interest to me, I would give them away promptly.

The third image is of stamp in better condition although the bottom left corner needs a clean.

Unfortunately, with older orange stamps you need to find out from an expert how colourfast the ink used is, before you attempt this.

I hope one of our board members who has expertise in this area can provide more information.

Thanks Satsuma I assumed the other two were common just to get things started. Orange one I have little knowledge of and welcome more info. It seems my link to photo bucket of all the albums has been removed so perhaps I'm not to do that ??

If anyone clicks on the previous stamps you will find all the albums of my stamps below that stamp.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Spike076/Stamps/story

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

One can add a LOT of stamps in a 900 x 900 scan or photo. There are 700 below.

If you can't be bothered to do that, members here can't be bothered to assist you for free. Two way street.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

spike101

Post by spike101 »

Global Administrator wrote:One can add a LOT of stamps in a 900 x 900 scan or photo. There are 700 below.

If you can't be bothered to do that, members here can't be bothered to assist you for free. Two way street.

Sheriff

What do you want you can't have a laugh and enjoy some banter.

You tell me how you want to see a stamp individually or on a page

I asked for your assistance on how to number as I don't see it on this thread.

I have asked your opinion as you have seen the collection also

I tried to provide constructive feedback about to like a comment on this forum I think that it is valuable.

I'm trying to be positive as this hobby perhaps isn't in the top 10 for the younger generations and your assistance and positive encouragement would be invaluable.

TheDoc
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by TheDoc »

Looking forward to getting beyond my "newbie" star.

Like many others this thread seemed a logical place to start reading the forum. I've now read it through twice. Phew!

I've also spent quite a few hours elsewhere on the boards and also looking through what is in the collection I've inherited.

I have albums with hinged and mounted definitive and commemorative GB (including IoM, Channel Islands), Empire, Commonwealth from 1840 up to late 1980s.

There are stockbooks as well which appear to be filled in some sort of logical order and also have little paper notes inserted.

The are many folders of FDCs again mainly of a GB theme.

In the same way as described above there are albums and stockbooks similarly marked up with German and Swiss stamps.

Finally there are packets and envelopes with unsourced stamps in them.

That's the background.

Whilst I realise it is only human nature to want to know what it is worth I'm realistic to know (from the investment in reading I have done here over the last few weeks and especially this thread) it will be worth only a fraction of the catalogue prices.

My dad knew this as he left pieces of paper in some of the albums giving values of £x,000 but then dating it and saying it probably only has a value of 10-25% of that. Taking his pessimistic figures it would still seem that I have a collection worth several thousand pounds.

So here's the plan of action. I want to actually know what I have in the collection before doing anything else. I'm thinking of investing in a bought database (and yes I have looked for threads on this topic on the forum as well). This should allow me to quickly get a handle on what I've got.

I thought I'd start entering stamps which I will have pleasure in looking at and which have no material value. I'll probably start with QE2 commemoratives onwards. Doing this means I shouldn't make any dreadful mistakes and give me practice using the database and familiarising myself with stamps and the surrounding jargon.

Once I know what I've got will mean I am in afar better position to decide what I want to do with the collection in terms of keeping it, storing it, adding to it or selling it. It will also mean that I will be able to ask more specific questions of help here.

In closing, I would ask firstly what do you think of my plan of attack and secondly do you have any specific recommendations about which database to buy. (I think I have made my mind up but I would be interested in your thoughts before I reveal my thinking on the matter.)

Rog

PS sorry for the length of the post.

DaveR
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by DaveR »

Hi Rog.

Welcome to the hobby :)

Another suggestion - pop along to a local society, and visit some local fairs -

As you're in the North West - North Western Federation of Philatelic Societies - http://nwfedps.uk/

Dave.

TheDoc

Post by TheDoc »

Thanks for that Dave. There are a couple in Stockport and a couple of others a little further away that might interest me.

Rog

emason

Post by emason »

The Doc wrote:So here's the plan of action. I want to actually know what I have in the collection before doing anything else. I'm thinking of investing in a bought database (and yes I have looked for threads on this topic on the forum as well). This should allow me to quickly get a handle on what I've got.

I thought I'd start entering stamps which I will have pleasure in looking at and which have no material value. I'll probably start with QE2 commemoratives onwards. Doing this means I shouldn't make any dreadful mistakes and give me practise using the database and familiarising myself with stamps and the surrounding jargon.
Doc, It all depends on what you intend to do with the collection. If you intend to keep it and build on it, or part of it, by all means proceed as above. But bear in mind that it takes years of experience to correctly identify every stamp with certainty, and you will make mistakes - as we all have done.

Even though your dad marked some stamps "£x,000", a misidentification on his part of the perforation, watermark, shade or condition etc. means they could still be common stamps worth much less!

But if you intend to sell it, then you can save yourself a lot of time and expense by taking it to a reputable dealer or auction house for a valuation. Bearing in mind the old adage that "it is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it".

If you would like opinions from some very experienced collectors and dealers, on what you believe to be the more valuable items, then post some high definition scans of them (front and back) and you will receive honest and unbiased answers.
Best wishes,
Bill

phrag99
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by phrag99 »

Why commence in the middle? Even QE stamps can be a minefield of condition/perforation/watermark/phosphor differences!

I would either begin with the items your father identified as valuable and as emason has suggested, post them here for an unbiased opinion, or, more logically, start at the beginning, which is a very good place to start.

You might just pop down to your library and borrow/consult the Stanley Gibbons part 1 catalogue - that's the red one. Don't just jump in - read the introduction, first.

TheDoc

Post by TheDoc »

Thank you for your replies which I found helpful. The reason for writing as I first did was because of some of the helpful posts I have already read in this and other threads.

What I didn't want to do was simply become a member of Stampboards, post some pictures and then waltz off into the sunset again. Ido want to learn more about stamps. The only way I can do that and go with your suggestion is to get a basic understanding of what I own and then selectively get your skilful input.

That said and why I posted in this thread to start with is that stamps is not the only interest I have in my retirement and I can't devote huge hours to it. At some point I will need to pass/donate/sell it on I have no family to gift it to. Therefore I want to get a better understanding of what I've actually got rather than relying on some experts opinion. In any case I enjoy cataloging and getting things sorted so that part of the exercise won't seem like a chore.

Starting with QE2 just seems a little less daunting than trying to exactly identify which Penny Blacks and Penny Reds I have although I do acknowledge ht we stamps will bring their own issues.

I'm not trying to be too clever in putting them into a database. Once I've done that I should have a better idea of which are the potentially more valuable stamps and which have known problems which make them rarer. At that point I'm sure I can have some fun checking perfs, printing, centreing issues. My other thought was that even if I only take the basic valuation from the supplied info of the database then even if I totally discount the value I can at least compare relative values and concentrate on the possibly more valuable stamps.

I do not want to be one of those members of the forum who only make a few posts and then disappear because having inherited a collection they find it's too much like hard work getting to know the value of it and are not getting the "right" answers from other forum members.

I hope this reply explains my thinking a little better and if you do have some suggestions with regard to which databases are the best to buy then I would be most grateful.

Rog

mbg1248
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by mbg1248 »

You have asked for advice and everyone here is saying the same thing: POST PHOTOS OF THE COLLECTION. Why ? So we can see what league your collection is in and avoid giving you inappropriate suggestions.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

As mbg1248 has indicated; this is primarily a visual board for assisting people who have questions about their collections: tell me you have a green/blue/red/black piece of paper with a picture/number on it, with/without some kind of wiggly outline and then ask me for the value...
TheDoc wrote:That said and why I posted in this thread to start with is that stamps is not the only interest I have in my retirement and I can't devote huge hours to it. At some point I will need to pass/donate/sell it on I have no family to gift it to. Therefore I want to get a better understanding of what I've actually got rather than relying on some experts opinion. In any case I enjoy cataloging and getting things sorted so that part of the exercise won't seem like a chore.
That said, databases (like the ones you're asking about) are a double-edged sword. The values contained therein can be the optimistic Catalogue Values (CV), or - worse - the prices realised from some auction sale way back when.

If you do enjoy cataloging, I suggest you take your bog-standard Excel spreadsheet and a Stanley Gibbons (from the library) and start at the beginning.

Penny Blacks? The letters at the bottom of each stamp will tell you from where in the pane they originated; see 240 different lettered GB 1840 1d blacks sold as 1 lot for an idea.

Value? Don't ask me... And the same with Penny Reds and Tuppenny Blues. But there are threads here to assist you.

As has been mentioned here - time and again - CV is a furphy. Anything less than 10p is generally regarded as firelighter material...unless someone needs one to complete the set, in which case they'll walk over hot coals and chew your arm off to get it.

Whether or not you choose to start a new thread about your collection is entirely up to you. If you do decide to start one, remember the basic rule of including images - scans or photos, and have them organized in your preferred medium (photobucket or imgur) before you post in the first instance - this saves a lot of hassle later on when you realize that the basic setup is getting out of hand.
TheDoc wrote:What I didn't want to do was simply become a member of Stampboards, post some pictures and then waltz off into the sunset again. Don't feel bad about what others have done - stamp collecting is a learning curve for all of us and, after all, it is/was/will always be primarily a solitary hobby.
I do want to learn more about stamps. The only way I can do that and go with your suggestion is to get a basic understanding of what I own and then selectively get your skillful input.
Might I also add that learning about stamps can eat into several lifetimes if you get hooked.

If, at the end of the day, you would like a sideline hobby (admirable), wish to learn the value of the accumulation (understandable) or are just yanking our chains (deplorable), then where you go from here is entirely up to you.
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Jem461

How/Where is the best place to sell my dad's stamps?

Post by Jem461 »

I have inherited my dad's stamp collection of mainly Australian and PNG stamps from mainly the 1930's to the late 1970's and a few from 1980's.

There are some mint sheets of stamps from PNG and FDC's from Australia, PNG and a few other countries.

I am moving and need to sell them as I will have limited space and can't display them. My kids are not interested in them so I see no point in leaving the collection for them to deal with in the future. There are a couple of albums with hinged stamps, and a lot of loose stamps in albums (not hinged.)

What is the best way to get the most value out of selling them? I'm not expecting a fortune, but don't want to be undercut either. ... One stamp in the collection is the PNG Lakatoi 1919 1 1/2d brown.

I have scanned and got electronic records of many of the stamps, but am still working on cataloging them all.

Thanks

Joy
Last edited by Global Administrator on 05 Apr 2017 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing, which makes wordy posts far easier to read on Bulletin Boards!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

TheDoc, Rog,
I would suggest looking at the stamps that you have inherited (dad?) has already given a reasonable value (and made notes) to first.

In theory there won't be that many of them but it will give you an idea of what might need to be protected, insured or sold later on.

A few pictures of some album pages that have them would give a good indication of the calibre of the whole collection - whether it was just schoolboy fun, collecting general issues as an adult, or moving into trying to complete sets of older (and higher value) stamps.

I wouldn't dive head first into the middle of an era, spend hours entering details and a database of what may just be normal domestic postage stamps in sets, getting bored or disillusioned with the idea (because you've entered 100 stamps to find a total value of £10) only to miss some examples that may actually be worth a bit of money by giving up on the whole idea in frustration.

Start with the ones marked, have a look at the penny blacks (you have more than 1?) and go from there.

What WILL excite you is if you find that you have a few stamps worth a bit. A nice penny black will be worth around £100 or more. That may spark your interest to dive further in with the complexities of watermarks and perfs. :D Which is currently the vortex I am trapped in! :lol:
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

phrag99

Post by phrag99 »

Joy - it is impossible to answer your query based upon 1 stamp image; please post pictures of pages of your stamps and the experts will pick out what is worth looking at in more detail. Then you will receive the appropriate advice.

Jem461

Post by Jem461 »

This is the first FDC in dad's collection

It is not an official one and not in very good condition.
I'll post some of the others also

Jem461

Post by Jem461 »

Here are 3 more FDC's from dad's collection

Jem461

Post by Jem461 »

Dad had made up his own album and here are a few of the pages from it.

I'm not sure how many pages to put up... there are 34 pages with stamps and information on Australian stamps to 1967, 1 page of Aust Antarctic territory 1957 &1959 and 2 of PNG stamps 1952 -1960.
There are other albums which I'll put up some pages later so I don't bore people all at once.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Nicely written up and displayed and kudos for showing us the images. But regretfully the collection shows all the common stamps everyone has, missing are keys like the 9d Ram, 5/- Harbour bridge, 2/- Jubilee etc. The condition is mixed, some are decent fine used, others are heavy postmarked, toned or damaged and thus have no value.

You have one interesting stamp, the 1/- Black Anzac, provided its not toned or damaged, that is worth a few dollars, same with the 1/- South Australia green, your 3d blue 150th anniversary clearly shows toned top perfs and thus is worthless as a result. Toning is mould and this brown and discolours the paper.

Regretfully your first day covers kick in when they are essentially valueless, 1946 may seem old and interesting, but in 1946 every one was buying and sending first day covers and even if they were just 8 years older, they would be worth something. The Monash covers, while interesting are ultra common.

From what is shown, I would say less than $5 (Maybe $10 if the Anzac and SA check out) for all of it, but it does make a great starter for your future collection. Plus it is a link to your father, so as a sentimental value, it is priceless and well worth holding on to.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

Jem461

Post by Jem461 »

Thanks for the information. The pages I have posted are only a small part of his collection.
Dad also has some other albums - and here is part of a page with some stamps from the Aust. states... before federation.
There is one stamp in there that I can't find anywhere...which I've scanned separately. A Victorian Two Pence mauve stamp clearly postmarked 15.3.01. all the other images I've found of this stamp have the words "Postage" in the border around the Queen's image, but this one doesn't. Can you give me some information as to why I can't find it anywhere?

thanks

muttly2011
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by muttly2011 »

Jem461 wrote: There is one stamp in there that I can't find anywhere...which I've scanned separately. A Victorian Two Pence mauve stamp clearly postmarked 15.3.01. all the other images I've found of this stamp have the words "Postage" in the border around the Queen's image, but this one doesn't. Can you give me some information as to why I can't find it anywhere?

thanks
You would need to show the watermark to identify it but this stamp was issued without 'POSTAGE' from 1880-84 and again in 1901.

Without trusting the scan for colour and in the absence of the watermark, the postmark indicates it is most likely to be SG 377, issued 29th January, 1901.

This design with 'POSTAGE' was issued from June 1901 onwards.
Fair Dinkum Stamps - Specialising in stamps from early Australia and the colonies.
https://www.fairdinkumstamps.com/

pianomanforever
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Massive collection of various stamps - help needed!

Post by pianomanforever »

I have just inherited a large collection of stamps and have no idea where to start. How do I go about finding the value of them and where could I sell them? Can post images of them all if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

muttly2011

Post by muttly2011 »

That definitely helps! :)
Fair Dinkum Stamps - Specialising in stamps from early Australia and the colonies.
https://www.fairdinkumstamps.com/

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

pianomanforever wrote:I have just inherited a large collection of stamps and have no idea where to start. How do I go about finding the value of them and where could I sell them? Can post images of them all if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Please go to the Introductions "Roll Call" thread and post there first, as you were clearly asked to do in your introductory member email.

You need to describe and show images of your stamps, before anyone can comment on them here.

Jem461

Post by Jem461 »

You would need to show the watermark to identify it but this stamp was issued without 'POSTAGE' from 1880-84 and again in 1901.

Without trusting the scan for colour and in the absence of the watermark, the postmark indicates it is most likely to be SG 377, issued 29th January, 1901.

This design with 'POSTAGE' was issued from June 1901 onwards.[/quote]

Thankyou... I'll try to find the watermark and go from there.

Bern King

Post by Bern King »

I'm practicing uploading images and I love these stamps with the Queens head on them. I have a bunch of different ones. Did they make copies ? with different paper and watermarks ect.,.?

Hope everyone is having a good day

Regards,

Bern

pianomanforever

Post by pianomanforever »

I have inherited a large collection of stamps from my late grandfather. Would just like to get some further info on these old New Zealand stamps. Thanks in advance!

StampsEverywhere

Post by StampsEverywhere »

This thread is invaluable for anyone inheriting a collection. I have had a poke around some of the Aussie pre- and post- decimal stuff again that is at my house and after reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that there is really nothing of great value.

BUT there are a few Kangaroos that are of quite poor condition and while they have no value, I have always been drawn to that particular stamp and am glad to be in possession of them. The stamps my husband inherited includes a lot of European ones, and these are the ones I want to catalogue for our children to learn their heritage.

Thank you to everyone who has helped compile this thread and I am glad to learn I have started storing them in an appropriate manner.

Robleytilo

Post by Robleytilo »

Hello,

After 30 years I have taken up the hobby of philately. My parents started to collect stamps and I inherited from them some classifiers that for me have a sentimental value. I know that these stamps are not valuable but I want to share them with you so that you advise me.

I would like to increase the collection and continue to enjoy philately, as a tribute and respect to my parents.

In my first post I said that I would like to make Germany used (1949 -...), used DDR and used Turkey, and some topics: Summer Olympic games, dogs, birds, insects and cruises. It's a lot of work, but I know what I want.

Is the collection of my parents a good starting point?

The stamps that do not interest me could change them with other philatelist colleagues.

I simply want to enjoy philately and learn from it without further ambition. And of course help other friends to increase their collection.

Just get the stamps I like.

I have chosen random pages. But there are five classifiers and everything is a bit chaotic.
What would be the way to start?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Angel

ImageImage

hutch
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by hutch »

Hello Robleytilo, you have quite a nice selection to start your collection with. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start swapping until you know exactly what you want to collect. You might find you want to collect everything or a specific country and you have given most of it away!

My first suggestion, would be to borrow a catalogue from the library or buy one if you can get one cheaply and start re-arranging your stamps into country and date order of printing. Then you can see what you have...and haven't :cry: .

I collect world in a general sort of way but concentrate on 6 specific countries...it is always depressing when you realise how many you still need after purchasing a couple of hundred stamps! France recently comes to mind...I still need over 1600 stamps and that is just until 1990! But I shall soldier on and one day, I will come close to completing it!

You can too! And you will learn lots in the process!

Enjoy your new hobby. Make new friends and expand not only your collection, but your knowledge and your interests. Good luck.

hutch
I am having fun collecting WW and Indian States.

Robleytilo

Post by Robleytilo »

Thank you for your advices, hutch. I plan to reduce my collection to the following:
I collect everything in used:
Germany (1949-present)
German Democratic Republic (DDR) (1949-1990)
Turkey (1967-present)
Topics:
New, used and covers items:
Dogs (to appear a single dog of race in the stamp) (2000-present)
Birds (Passerines / birds only) (2000-present)
Insects (except Lepidoptera / Butterflies) (2000-present)
Cruise ships (2000-present)
Summer Olympics (From Sydney 2000)
Spain Tarifa A / Rate A

and stamp covers (envelopes circled) of my topics

My idea is to change all the stamps that do not interest me in my collection. And of course I want to buy some catalogs. I hope to have your help.

Regards

Ángel

Egyptian stamps

Post by Egyptian stamps »

Hi,
My family have inherited a large stamp collection from my uncle. He was an Armenian living in Egypt his whole life and collected stamps. We found a large collection of stamps, most displayed within albums and in mint condition.
There are also some commemoration sheets.
I have attached some photos of some of the pre UAR collection.
There are hundreds of UAR stamps too and loads of envelopes with stamps that have been franked.
We have no idea of their worth and I'm essentially here to try and get educated as well as seek advice as the where may be the best place to show them.
I live in the UK and have the collection with me.
There are pictures of some of the collection below.
Many thanks.

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

I found this as a useful rough guide to whether an inherited stamp collection could be worth anything:

http://thephilatelictraderssociety.co.uk/value-my-collection/

Stamp collections may have value if:

They were issued no later than about 1960
The stamps are in good condition*
They are of an individual country or countries
They include higher face values**
They are arranged neatly in albums and look as though care and money has at one time been spent on them

* fresh and true colours, not stuck to the page, no portion of the stamp missing, no creases or other damage

** in British “old” money, generally stamps above the 1/- (one shilling) face value

Stamp collections are less likely (unlikely) to have value if:

They are loose and/or unsorted in a bag
They are a general “all world” collection with fewer than 100 stamps for each country
They comprise First Day Covers of the last 30-40 years
They commemorate a Royal Wedding/Birth/Anniversary or similar
They comprise any sort of manufactured “instant” collection
They are in poor condition and/or untidy and/or look in need of TLC

Other notes:

British Penny Blacks (1d black) are famous, but unfortunately are neither fabulously valuable, nor rare. 68 million were produced and sold. Depending on condition (and other factors) they are currently worth typically £50-£100 each (less for poor quality, much more for superb).

Older stamps still on the original envelopes may be worth a premium (sometimes a considerable premium) over and above the value of the stamps used to frank the letter.
Decimal currency British stamps (with face values in £p and not £sd) are (legally) widely traded at prices well below their nominal face value.

Stamps with genuine errors of production (for example missing colours) are often worth considerably more than “normal” issues.
Common stamps frequently have less common varieties, such as shades of colour. The one you have in front of you is statistically much more likely to be the common and cheaper variety, than it is the rare and expensive one.

Sale by auction will ensure that your stamps fetch a competitive price. Selling directly to a dealer may achieve a better net result. For the highest possible price, sell them yourself (such as on e-Bay), but if you do so, bear in mind that the best items always sell first and dealers are unlikely to want to buy a “rump” or “remaindered” lot, when the best stamps are no longer there.

Egyptian stamps

Post by Egyptian stamps »

Thank you kindly for your time in replying steevh. Loads of useful and very helpful info.

Gummybear
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Gummybear »

Jem461 wrote:Dad had made up his own album and here are a few of the pages from it...
My dad must be from the same era :lol:
My inherited 'album' pages look the same. Some in very tall clamp binders.
Motorcycles Motorcycles Motorcycles

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Yes Steevh - great post, needs to be transmitted viral from every stamp dealer and on every social media platform.

Sadly 90% of the people who call up saying they have inherited some old and rare stamps, turn out to have one or more trait in the "Unlikely to have value" if category, most common in New Zealand are royal stamps, Health stamps and FDC from 1944 onwards, and it is always toned junk. I will scream if I get one more call about someone's rare Diana stamps from Togo.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.

John :)
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

Andyref2
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Andyref2 »

Just thought I would see if anything is new here, but nopers, not a new post in about a year. Looks like a lot of labor to me to sort through items that may not yield enough paper to start a fire in a fireplace.
Be Safe!
Andy Z.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

People may have finally got the message?

I agree, it has been ages since we have had any dreamers talking about how great their junk is now, or people asking if their Hungarian packet material or Ras Al Khaima paintings are worth big money.

Are the moderators weeding out the amateurs?

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

As “the stamp guy” at the local Antique Mall, I get calls to look at collections that walk in 5 or 6 times a year, (don’t laugh... it’s an Antique Mall NOT a stamp shop)!

About 2 months ago I actually got an interesting one!

Father had been gone for 20 years and the collection had been kept in the top of a closet all the time. The first thing unusual about it...it was housed in five long “red boxes” full of approval cards.

Each card had one or more stamps... often different stamps together... and each card was numbered with a system I was not familiar with!

Long story short.... 6 to 7 thousand Different US and Canadian Perfins! Not a lot of value certainly but great specialist interest. I referred her to the fine folks at perfins.org, with a realistic expectation of value.

Her father had assembled a collection of great Beaty and interest... that is one such story out of between 20 or 30 referrals in the past 6 years.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

It's been ages since we have had any posts like.

"I have 1000 super rare and really ancient stamps from Magyar, Polska and Ras Al Khaima and they show dogs and spaceships. I know they are really old and rare because a book said my 8 filler soviet spaceship stamp from Hunagry was worth 80 billion euros, I knoe I am right and you can tell me where I get my 87 billion euros from, my grandads collected them and he is nearly 90 now", look at photo of the rare stamp - some are not even stamped and one is dated 1234 - 1984 so its 800 years old (Image of one fuzzy toned stamp in tiny corner of background and photo is 12,000 x 9,600 pixels that is 35MB in size".

I miss those days :lol:

Andyref2

Post by Andyref2 »

Greetings fellow collectors! I am surprised there aren't some new posts in this section but it seems perhaps folks aren't finding the long stashed-away collections by a former loved one. I will keep checking!
Be Safe!
Andy Z.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

That is a good thing, although I miss the laughs, a few show up as spearate threads in this part of board and the No question is too silly section. Some of the most clueless (Mega working class, IQ under 75 and extreme ethnic/ESOL) even post in the main stamp threads.

sagi2917
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by sagi2917 »

It might be that people are not getting stamp collections handed over from elders or simply are not interested thereby reflecting in lack of responses. Twice I have had stamps handed over by friends since they got it from their parents but were not interested in keeping them. While majority of the stamps were generic there were couple of FDCs in one and a set of 60 Egyptian/UAR stamps in the other which were good to keep. Its been a while that I have seen kids at the local post office or exhibitions so future responses to this thread mentioning inherited collections might be rare
Primary interests: Entities, Joint-Issues, Sports (Olympics, Commonwealth, Football, Cricket)
Missing: India - Scott # A1, A7(2a), A43 (Rs.5/25), A48 (PIES-PIES), A5 (4a Inverted)

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Andyref2 wrote: I am surprised there aren't some new posts in this section but it seems perhaps folks aren't finding the long stashed-away collections by a former loved one.
On average I'm still fielding 5-6 phone enquiries every month regarding inherited collections.

Perchance, Joe (and/or Joan) Public are beginning to have better access to their local stamp clubs for advice which is closer to home. Many clubs now have an internet presence which is a boon for the hobby.

Or, it might be that during the past 7+ years, with over 58,000 views of our less than 300 posts; this Thread has achieved it's primary aim of offering a range of views which may assist the uninitiated to understand some of the complexities of stamp collecting, and get an idea of what to do with that accumulation which they have inadvertently acquired...
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Maybe its all switched to coin collecting.

Everytime I tell anyone I collect stamps, they don't know or are board, but when I say coins, they spark up and go on about some 18th century penny from 1899 and it's in such good shape you can read the date ....

A deathless cliche that refuses to die.

jlove101
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by jlove101 »

I realize there are people from all over the world reading this thread.

I inherited a worldwide collection but mostly USA stamps. If you were going to take a quick look through a collection, which stamps would you be looking for? In other words, if you had 30 minutes to go through 1000’s of stamps, which would you set aside for a more thorough view?

Possibly a top 20 or 30 stamps? I don’t believe I have one of the top 10 or even top 50 most expensive stamps in the world. I just need somewhere to start as I don’t have the years of experience like many of you have.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 27 Jul 2020 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Your question is too open-ended to allow us to give you much help without pictures, but I would start by looking for any that show signs of extra respect from the original collector.

For example, If most of the stamps are hinged to the album and one is in a clear plastic mount and the mount is fixed to the album, that is a sign the previous collector valued it.

If most pages have sixty+ stamps on them, and one page has two or three carefully spaced stamps that is also a good sign.

If there are any notations about perforations or shades or varieties that's a good sign.

On the other hand any stamps with damage or that have postmark that almost obliterate the stamp image are less likely to be of value especially if they were issued in the last 60 years.

Your best bet is to post some pictures here. That will allow us to estimate how dedicated a collector assembled it and how specialised the parameters of collecting were.

We can't really help you much with only the info you have supplied so far.

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Hey all

Not inherited as such but a real mix. My gran had a collection which she passed to my mother who added to it. It was then given to me when I was very young. I seem to have then added lots of colourful Russian and Hungarian spaceships😉

It seems that I mixed it all up and moved it around when I was young so it's just a real mix now dating back from the perhaps the early part of the 20th century up to the late 80s. The majority are hinged with some just loose.

Really just trying to decide what best to do with the collection now. Appreciate it's unlikely to be of any significant value but I thought I would just post a few pages to get a sense from the group. I'm not looking to resume the hobby I'm afraid but advice appreciated.
20200725_080306.jpg
20200725_080318.jpg
20200725_080945.jpg
20200725_082032.jpg
20200725_082913.jpg
20200725_083013.jpg
20200725_081547.jpg
20200725_083300.jpg

POP
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by POP »

jetsetwilly

Its worth about £2.37 all in.

But if your gran passed it down to your mom and her to you then if i were you keep it to pass to one of your children

you never know they might get into collecting and it might be worth £2.88 then.

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thanks for the speedy response! That's only a few pages. There are dozens more but it's not sounding like I need to get them insured any time soon.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”