Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Fingula
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

Post by Fingula »

Thank you for this thread. I read it all and i learned a lot. I got thee small collections from people who stopped collecting. I knew they was no money in them, because I already had a starting collection that contained most of there stamps. I liked them anyway, because I just like sorting stamps.

Special Thanks for the stories about the covers and how they have stories of there own. I find it very interesting!

mbg1248
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by mbg1248 »

An elderly stamp collector friend of mine passed away last year and his widow asked me to help dispose his world collection.

I have dealt with the stamps from countries that I am familiar with but there are many countries that I know nothing about.

For example, here are scans of the old stamps from Italy (they could use a good wash). Is there anything of value here?

Thanks for your help...

Italy-1x.jpg
Italy-2ax.jpg
Italy-2bx.jpg
italy-3x.jpg
italy-5x.jpg
italy-6ax.jpg
italy-6bx.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 12 Aug 2020 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

mbg1248

Post by mbg1248 »

No Italy experts here?
:(

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

mbg1248 wrote:
13 Aug 2020 16:08
No Italy experts here?
:(
Your stamps are all pretty common low values and the lot might get you a single figure amount with a good tail wind. The "best" stamp is the 15 cent Blue (the very first stamp on page one), worth a few Euro, but it is 95% likely to be a worthless reprint.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Moderator Comment:

This thread is intended to be just a general primer about inheriting and not to ask specific questions about specific stamps. If you have further questions of this type, please start a new thread in "You ask questions, Someone will have an answer" sub forum.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

DigitalPhilatelist
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by DigitalPhilatelist »

You can find some advice here: Stamp Collecting - Inheritances - including links to dealers.

I can also direct people to organisations in Australia, UK and America who run stamp collecting clubs for youth and who are always after donations.
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.

DigitalPhilatelist

mbg1248 wrote:
12 Aug 2020 00:11

An elderly stamp collector friend of mine passed away last year and his widow asked me to help dispose his world collection.

I have dealt with the stamps from countries that I am familiar with but there are many countries that I know nothing about.

For example, here are scans of the old stamps from Italy (they could use a good wash). Is there anything of value here?

Thanks for your help...
With Italy, try contacting Italy and Colonies Study Circle. They may be able to assist.
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ViccyVFU »

DigitalPhilatelist wrote:
13 Aug 2020 23:26
You can find some advice here: Stamp Collecting - Inheritances - including links to dealers.
I think that is about "the single most useless piece of worthless advice" I have ever encounted in relation to inherited collections, across many websites.

"99.99% are worthless" is a made up stat.
It is "a lot lower than that".

As for :

"The first step is to contact a recognised stamp dealer or philatelic association who can value your collection. Most people are charged a fee for a valuation, so check with the dealer or organisation what this fee is. Sometimes those fees are worth considerably more than what you will be offered for the collection.

The first step is to make your own enquiries to find "ballpark".
Maybe yy informal enquiry with friends, at a stamp show, or an auction house (all usually free).

Or "scan" and "show" them here - simple, but effective.

..... I'm not sure the Sheriff would appreciate a huge influx of your "alleged" 99.9% of debris - just processing it, and a simple email back to the sender, takes up valuable time.

Why waste postage and time following poor advice?

DigitalPhilatelist

ViccyVFU wrote:
13 Aug 2020 23:50
DigitalPhilatelist wrote:
13 Aug 2020 23:26
I think that is about "the single most useless piece of worthless advice" I have ever encounted in relation to inherited collections, across many websites.

"99.99% are worthless" is a made up stat.
It is "a lot lower than that".
Hmm..maybe that is your experience and I am really thrilled for you it is! However, the reality across multiple social media platforms and seeing thousands of posts (probably more) over the years is that people think their collections are worth huge amounts of money. Often they either get really agitated or highly disappointed when the offers or advice tells them it is worthless. It is pretty rare that anything comes up that is of significant value across social media - its mainly old albums or collections full of rust-filled, damaged and common stamps. The sellers also generally do not want to take photos and can't be bothered sorting them as it is too time consuming.

"The first step is to contact a recognised stamp dealer or philatelic association who can value your collection. Most people are charged a fee for a valuation, so check with the dealer or organisation what this fee is. Sometimes those fees are worth considerably more than what you will be offered for the collection.

The first step is to make your own enquiries to find "ballpark".
Maybe yy informal enquiry with friends, at a stamp show, or an auction house (all usually free).

Or "scan" and "show" them here - simple, but effective.

..... I'm not sure the Sheriff would appreciate a huge influx of your "alleged" 99.9% of debris - just processing it, and a simple email back to the sender, takes up valuable time.

Why waste postage and time following poor advice?
I think you have got yourself into a tizzy. I didn't say anywhere to mail them in. I said "contact" a stamp dealer or association. The question that comes up a lot is 'Is there someone who will buy them?' People don't know where to start. And, unless your friends are all stamp experts, good luck getting proper advice from them. The most common advice you will get across social media is to check StampWorld. Not sure if you are familiar with that site but the prices there can be highly unrealistic.

The link I posted also contains quite a few references written by others. Did you read them?

Jonozilla

Post by Jonozilla »

Hi everyone,

I just want to thank all of the regular and long term people posting in this thread! (Time to bump it back to the top!).

I stumbled upon Stampboards and quickly happened to find this thread. I have read every single post from the beginning. It took me almost two full weeks (an hour or so most evenings) as a Stampboards guest to get through them all... but it has really brought me up to speed very quickly on a lot of things!

I collected as a child and therefore was the lucky recipient of many stuffed envelops, being the only contact who collected (and people generally help kids out with this sort of thing). I enjoyed collecting, but it was never serious in terms of rarity or value. And that reflected in how I treated and sorted the stamps (very common in child collectors I would imagine). There was (and is) a lot that I do not know.

But here are the things that I have learnt so far from this thread alone (for all those who are not able to read this thread from cover to cover):

- Most stamps are extremely common, so age does NOT equal greater values.
- Enjoy the stamps because they are genuinely interesting you, not for their monetary value (for us amateurs).
- 'On piece' or 'on cover' are often significantly more valuable then soaked stamps. They have more info, the cancel with its date and PO of origin along with the destination! The cool thing then is the story. Also opens up avenues for very specific collection niche's... such as cancel collections or PO specific interests... etc.
- Among so much more!

I will post my favourite items in my collection below, to share, and I would also love to hear any advise and opinions regarding next steps. I have gone 0-100km/hr with this stamp thing over the last 4wks, and I need to keep up the momentum! I've started to seriously sort stamps for display and catalogue my collection, and I have gone and bought the 11th ed. Aus. SG Catalogue (just to give you a picture of where I'm at). My goal eventually, is to have an example of every single item in the 'simplified' Aussie Cats that I can afford. Ambitious I know :lol: :lol:

An interesting cover I have. A4 in size, from the 'Ministry of Post-War Reconstruction'. It has made another appearance in another thread the other day (under the same name).
An interesting cover I have. A4 in size, from the 'Ministry of Post-War Reconstruction'. It has made another appearance in another thread the other day (under the same name).

My earliest 'on piece' selection. Recently, I pulled out every stamp 'on piece' which had clear cancels to prevent soaking. And placed them in chronological order by cancel.
My earliest 'on piece' selection. Recently, I pulled out every stamp 'on piece' which had clear cancels to prevent soaking. And placed them in chronological order by cancel.

Both have personal significance. The top cover is addressed to my great aunt. And she gave me this cover full of stamps. She actually gave about eight such envelopes... but all the stamps were torn off and placed inside with the rest except for this one. The bottom envelope is addressed to my Grandfather.
Both have personal significance. The top cover is addressed to my great aunt. And she gave me this cover full of stamps. She actually gave about eight such envelopes... but all the stamps were torn off and placed inside with the rest except for this one. The bottom envelope is addressed to my Grandfather.

A collection of stamps my Grandfather had in a tin from his mothers father. I have catalogued a number of them, and at this initial stage they seem to not be worth all that much. Roos on Map: 6d Brown Type 5 wmk (multiple crown and A) 1/- blue-green Type 2 wmk (Crown over A), I believe it is a two... because 1 is emerald... 3 is green and multi is also green. :) have not actually checked this wmk. The first was evident under a lamp. This will need a dip (or what ever you do... Don't worry, I'll research it first).
A collection of stamps my Grandfather had in a tin from his mothers father. I have catalogued a number of them, and at this initial stage they seem to not be worth all that much. Roos on Map: 6d Brown Type 5 wmk (multiple crown and A) 1/- blue-green Type 2 wmk (Crown over A), I believe it is a two... because 1 is emerald... 3 is green and multi is also green. :) have not actually checked this wmk. The first was evident under a lamp. This will need a dip (or what ever you do... Don't worry, I'll research it first).

Like I said earlier, thoughts? Direction? Encouragment :lol: ?

Thank you all for your time!
Hey There! I'm New, Don't Hurt Me! :lol: :lol:

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

That's the first time I've seen that Hawaiian Islands stamp on piece.

It probably needs to be taken out of the Australian section.

Jonozilla

Post by Jonozilla »

satsuma wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:27
That's the first time I've seen that Hawaiian Islands stamp on piece.

It probably needs to be taken out of the Australian section.

Thanks satsuma, interesting to know. It is a shame the person who removed it from it's cover didn't give the cancel a little more breathing room.

It will be taken out of the Aussie stamps when I can get around to it. They are all currently as they were when they came into my possession. :)
Hey There! I'm New, Don't Hurt Me! :lol: :lol:

Ryuk1421
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Ryuk1421 »

I recently Inherited the stamp collection in the pictures. What to do next?
Attachments
20201031_101127.jpg
20201031_101146.jpg
20201031_101154.jpg
20201031_101212.jpg

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

If that is all the collection Ryuk1422 then you cannot do much with them.

Just the Cuban and Costa Rica or is this just the C country stamps?

Not worth much (very little) in terms of catalogue value, nor are there sets.

Not many stamps really for a collection so, unless you decide to concentrate on collecting more Cuban and Costa Rica, possible sentimental value only I am afraid, so just keep them as a momento.

John

Ryuk1421

Post by Ryuk1421 »

Thanks johnrcrow, I really do not know much about stamps and any input is much appreciated.

Haitzer
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by Haitzer »

Dear stamp lovers and experts !
Please help me to value those rare stamps in attachments.
Are there possibility to sell them because I think that there are many collectors who wishes to have in their collections some of rare and valuable stamps.
A few days ago I have found those old stamps in my forgotten collections which are collected for decades of my family members.
Those are only USA stamps but I have them more from a lot of different countries.
It will mean a lot to me that your experts in stamp give their opinion regarding valuation of those stamps and possibility to sell them.
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
col 2.jpg
col 1.jpg
1614601906740.jpg
1614601906730.jpg
1614601906717.jpg
1614601906705.jpg

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by RevRed+ »

Hello Haitzer.

Your first post was to be at "Hello All NEW Members - please briefly introduce yourself!" See https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10277

'The Rules' - please *read* these before posting here! https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=62737#p62737

Also read this as how to post images, especially the use "Place Inline" button.

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770
Red.

joninunez

Post by joninunez »

I inherited a massive collection from my Aunt who bought the collection at an Estate sale. There are mint stamps in glassine envelopes and a scott usa catalog a specialized scott catalog, and 3 or 4 international catalogues. These stamps date back to the 1840s.

I know this because there are letters in envelopes to and from the original owners. Some of it was organized some of it is not. Some of the stamps are still on the paper from the company she bought it from. I took it to Colorado and left it to be appraised but he sat on it for two months so I went and got it.

It also has these schermack coils. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Some of the countries no longer exist. She states she did not have a whole bunch of money to certify all that she wanted to whatever that means and theres also a bunch of stamps with grills????

Can anyone help me there are no stamp dealers or clubs in my area. I am at a loss at what to do and it would be a shame to let her collection go to waste.....attached is an image of her schermack coil page...

Attachments
Screenshot_20210507-235558_Hancom Office S Viewer.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 08 May 2021 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason. Why lazily upload an image UPSIDE DOWN and expect free advice?

joninunez

Post by joninunez »

I wasnt being lazy I am partly blind and I am not technically savy. And i would gladly pay someone for their advice. My apologies for anything offensive. I will take myself off this site.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Joninunez - You are being lazy, you are meant to read the loading pictures tutorial, it is really easy and once you know - you never forget.

It is not rocket science, and even I can do it.

It is much easier when previously we relied on 3rd party image services, until they decided to start charging $400 a year for the privilege and then the free one became a dumping ground for filth and tacky memes. So now you can upload pictures direct from your hard drive.

Just choose the attachments tab, insert Add Space before and after and use the centering tool and you are away!. Just make sure your image is the right way up in the hard drive before loading and it will appear upright in your Stampboards post!

Also, you use a lot of terminology that is completely alien to anyone non-American and as you can see we are a GLOBAL board and its run by Australians with global moderators. We have many Americans here, but they do not dominate the boards like most other internet forums (I say

that as most I belong to are dominated by Americans and the rest of teh world is meant to fall in line behind Uncle Sam).

Please load your photos the right way - but already unless its some rare coil combination, you have some mega common Kiddie stamps there worth a few cents.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Here you go - this is a one-off.
Right way up
Right way up

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

Wouldn’t have a clue about the stamps but the rogue apostrophe is a turn off ...

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Rigs wrote:
08 May 2021 22:13
Wouldn’t have a clue about the stamps but the rogue apostrophe is a turn off ...
:lol: :lol:
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Neither would I, but you don't need a catalogue or an expert to say they are ferret cage liners.

Even if its a rare variety and I would be major league surprised if they were, the examples have ugly machine post marks and are incredibly off centre, something very bad for Americans obsessed with "centering" :lol:

I could use all the Norm adjectives here in describing them!

hansfredrichseidel
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by hansfredrichseidel »

However, one of the most difficult aspects of stamp collecting is maintaining the collection in the best possible state. After all, a stamp is just a thin sheet of paper with an adhesive lining, making them extremely delicate and one of the most difficult collectibles to maintain in mint condition. Here are some things I learned along the way. 1. Keep them high up: Water damage, which is a typical way for collections to be lost in a moment, is greatly reduced as a result of this. 2. Store your stamps in a dark, dry space: You should make sure it's a dry space.

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Hello. Newbie here. I inherited a few foreign stamps and I know nothing about stamps. I found some that I'm not sure if there worth anything. Could y'all maybe take a look. Sorry that the pics aren't the best.
Attachments
IMG_20210913_135452375.jpg

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Front
Front

kelliegirl33