Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Essex 60
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Re: Some advice regarding inherited Stamp Collections

Post by Essex 60 »

Just read through this whole thread it is a joy to view, with lots of interesting friendly advice - well done everyone.

woodster
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by woodster »

fromdownunder wrote:
redsox81 wrote:I for one would only sell what I already had!
Which is probably far better than selling items you didn't have.

Norm
Unless of course you were into derivatives and were short selling a collection

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

What a long time three years can be...

When the idea for this thread was first mooted back in 2012, Muruk and I discussed offering a platform for people - not necessarily just members of SB - who might need a direction after discovering a stamp album, or three, in their family member's effects.

During the intervening period, I've watched the number of on-the-ground stamp dealers (rapidly) dwindle, and the number of contacts to stamp clubs (concerning collection disposal) exponentially increase.

Reviewing this thread after a period of time, I've been encouraged by the number of hits on this topic which indicates it's relevance to a broader community than just us Stampboarders.

While some people have joined here just to ask questions relating to this single topic - and after receiving replies, have disappeared - I've also noted a number have gone on to become valued members of our little community.

So: never underestimate the ability of a tatty little stamp album to open up a world of possibility, wonder, and learning for anyone - young or old :wink:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Princestamps »

And yet 98.9%of the time, the so called newbies with Auntie Viola's stamp collection from 1946 are likely to not read this thread or follow any of our helpful rules about these matters.

They join stampboards, do not bother to introduce themsleves and straight away go to either of the forums, "ask a question" and "no question is too basic" and instantly start a thread usually with "Help needed with old and rare collection", and "Are these 100 year old stamps from Hungary worth $1000000 like the ones I saw on ebay and the internet".

Just a recent scan of the "Ask questions thread, found 3 of them", all three of them mentioned some gibberish about an old and precious collection that they inherited off their great Aunt Griselda (I'm going to see CATS :mrgreen: ) or Uncle Prokenius Ancientio born in ye olde year of 1956. Usually there are no pictures as they do not know how to do them.

If there are pictures or enough descriptions, someone will usually say the items have little or no value in a helpful way, the newbie gets frustrated and leaves in anger. Or in this case 2 of the 3 threads were locked as the newbie never bothered to post an introduction post and never uploaded images.

We can only outreach so far and hope the newbies respond, but my guess is less than a quarter want to start collecting with their new found treasure, but are only interested in this site and us long enough to find out how much money their treasure will net them.

All of the threads, the newbie had under 5 posts and most were 1 or 2 all in the same thread.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

One thing no-one can change is human nature. Yes, Princestamps, it can grate on the nerves to see the attitude you've mentioned being displayed with such dispiriting regularity, and (I might add) many stamp clubs also see the same mindset.

But this thread is for that 1.1% of people who do take the time to read this, and other threads like it.

And that makes it worthwhile.
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Totally and there are exceptions to the rule. But if it helps I do hget a bit of a morbid kick reading some of these dreamer newbie threads.

Still the point, you don't know until you ask is easily the best piece of advice we have going here :D

I just wish more newbies would come here, as I read the thread several times and there are things, that I an intermediate to advanced collector can still learn off it. :D

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

Princestamps wrote:I just wish more newbies would come here, as I read the thread several times and there are things, that I an intermediate to advanced collector can still learn off it. :D
As a collector for 55 years, I am quite happy to say that after all of this time, I know less than I ever thought I did. I just need to read threads about postmarks, or single use in-period covers, or German infla. stamps, or fakes, or Australia GeoV, or 1d Black plate varieties, or 1d New Zealand Universals, or 100 other subjects, that every time I open a new (and even old) stamp type thread, it teaches me stuff.

May this go on for a long, long time.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

VFND55
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by VFND55 »

Any interest in collecting stamps by the younger generation will continue to diminish unless there is a change in the perception of the hobby. Most members here recognize that fact and have made great comments to those budding interests who have the courage to ask for help. But more can be done.

The approach to getting the younger generations' interest in stamp collecting should be on a level that spikes their curiosity just as how the current technology in computers, cell phones and internet have captivated their attention. Use the facts of stamps to open their minds to the world around them using current technology.

Videos, pictures and celebrities. Videos and pictures are easy, we need stamp celebrities. We need to re-popularize the hobby that builds interest and excites everyone.

It's time for the Sheriff and many other members on this board to become celebrities in the field of stamp collecting through use of the internet and videos.

Time to shine Sheriff...

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

VFND55 wrote:Any interest in collecting stamps by the younger generation will continue to diminish unless there is a change in the perception of the hobby.
Curiously, this self-same thought came up at a recent stamp club meeting. We were re-hashing our annual Stamp & Coin Fair (which is held as part of the State's Seniors Festival) and a couple of people commented on their surprise at the number of teenagers who attended the event.

Now, I can't quote a percentage but there were quite a number of kids seated at the dealers' tables throughout the day. And they bought.
VFND55 wrote:The approach to getting the younger generations' interest in stamp collecting should be on a level that spikes their curiosity just as how the current technology in computers, cell phones and internet have captivated their attention. Use the facts of stamps to open their minds to the world around them using current technology.
And, perhaps oddly enough for some of our 'died-in-the-wool' philatelists, the one area of stamp collecting which is seeing an exponential growth is thematics.

Cutesy thematic collecting - long held to be the province of old ladies and strange little men - was picked up long ago by stamp-issuing bodies as a cash cow.

But I've seen another side to thematics - here on Stampboards we have a number of members who exemplify the very best which thematics can offer; and I've heard of, and witnessed, a number of youngsters who've taken up stamp-collecting based on a very narrow field.

One that readily springs to mind was a small collection of bat-related stamps I sold on eBay some years ago. The mother purchased them as a birthday present for her 'Goth' 16-year-old daughter, out of desperation due to lack of ideas. This sparked an interest which is now a full-blown hobby, and which led to an interest in Biology - which is now a career path.
VFND55 wrote:We need to re-popularize the hobby that builds interest and excites everyone.
It can be, and is being, done. Maybe quietly - but stamp collecting has never been "sexy" like mountain-climbing or crocodile-wrestling.

Leaving a collection of bog-standard stamps to your offspring, or their descendants, might raise a yawn but unless you give them the opportunity to sift through the dross you'll never know if they're interested or not. It only takes one stamp to catch their fancy.

I know. I lost an entire collection of tigers on stamps to my grandson :roll:

ForMax
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ForMax »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it is by far the most informative, entertaining, enlightening, and relevant thread on StampBoards. To the early contributors (such as mcgooley, patg etc) thanks for all the tips, and the explanation of abbreviations!

I've inherited a couple of shoeboxes worth, some on paper, a few dozen FDCs (including the small Cook - and was fascinated by the search results on that one, grasslands conference, Royal Wedding, most of them typed addressed), scores of presentation packs, some pre-dec, and thousands of moderns. Unfortunately many were just torn from the corner.

I am very keen on seeing what others do with presentation packs from Aus Post in terms of storing/displaying, as well as storyboarding various stamps ie displaying the stamp, an FDC, maybe a photo or newspaper clipping from the time etc. Is there a thread for this ? I've searched but come up empty handed.

I am busy sorting and soaking and was also interested on finding out what others do with duplication - say I have 6 individuals of a pre-dec stamp, nothing special in terms of value, would you display all 6 or display 1 and swap/sell others or keep for a rainy day ?

Know that people like me do come to StampBoards thinking they've got a goldmine, but try to let them down gently (if they have done their homework)!

Thanks again

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

ForMax wrote:I am very keen on seeing what others do with presentation packs from Aus Post in terms of storing/displaying, as well as storyboarding various stamps ie displaying the stamp, an FDC, maybe a photo or newspaper clipping from the time etc. Is there a thread for this ? I've searched but come up empty handed.

Regarding presentation packs... I'm going out on a limb here to say I don't think storing and displaying these animals is the same thing. For storage purposes, you can use things similar to the pages for FDCs but these are inappropriate for display purposes. From a strictly personal viewpoint, I dislike them - I think they're only a money-spinner for AP, and they're a mongrel to display effectively (note; that's just my opinion!)

I don't remember ever seeing a thread involving storyboarding individual stamps; however, many years ago I viewed a very interesting exhibit based on the following stamp:
The display was based on the history of the Victorian Young Farmers, and included excerpts from the book "Tuesday at Eight" along with newspaper clippings from various events throughout the years.

I am busy sorting and soaking and was also interested on finding out what others do with duplication - say I have 6 individuals of a pre-dec stamp, nothing special in terms of value, would you display all 6 or display 1 and swap/sell others or keep for a rainy day ?

Firstly, remember that stamp collecting is a very individualistic hobby. If you like the stamp design, why not keep all six? Some people do. Alternately, you can pick out the "best" example and trade the rest - after you've researched to ensure there aren't any known flaws/varieties/different watermarks...

There are members here who only collect one stamp, be it the KGV 1d Red or first-issue West Australia Swan or Victoria's Half-Length or... There are also Whole World collectors who collect one example of each stamp issued.

And there are all sorts of collectors inbetween. Maybe a not-very-helpful answer, but it might give you something to chew on :D

ForMax

Post by ForMax »

mcgooley wrote:
Regarding presentation packs... I'm going out on a limb here to say I don't think storing and displaying these animals is the same thing. For storage purposes, you can use things similar to the pages for FDCs but these are inappropriate for display purposes. From a strictly personal viewpoint, I dislike them - I think they're only a money-spinner for AP, and they're a mongrel to display effectively (note; that's just my opinion!)

I don't remember ever seeing a thread involving storyboarding individual stamps; however, many years ago I viewed a very interesting exhibit based on the following stamp:
The display was based on the history of the Victorian Young Farmers, and included excerpts from the book "Tuesday at Eight" along with newspaper clippings from various events throughout the years.

Firstly, remember that stamp collecting is a very individualistic hobby. If you like the stamp design, why not keep all six? Some people do. Alternately, you can pick out the "best" example and trade the rest - after you've researched to ensure there aren't any known flaws/varieties/different watermarks...

There are members here who only collect one stamp, be it the KGV 1d Red or first-issue West Australia Swan or Victoria's Half-Length or... There are also Whole World collectors who collect one example of each stamp issued.

And there are all sorts of collectors inbetween. Maybe a not-very-helpful answer, but it might give you something to chew on :D
All great responses, thanks! When I said I had 6 of an individual, it's more like 60 each of a dozen, so I'll find a compromise :)

I really like the idea of storyboarding, so it may be the way I go about collecting, picking up stamps, then researching to tell the story, though it may be the other way round - seems as though it is much easier to find story content than it is to find a particular stamp for which you have the story behind.

cheers

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

There are opportunities galore with your story boarding idea.

Some of us for many years have collected by themes, " thematic " or "topical" collecting, which involves research into the reason why a stamp was issued, or its use to illustrate a story.

I refer you back to a thread started by Canadastamper on the story of Blood and Blood donors.

There is now an exhibition class which takes the storyline ides even further and encourages the inclusion of non stamp material postcards, letters, cigarette cards, poster stamps and all kinds of ephemera. called the "OPEN PHILATELY " class
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

doug2222usa

Post by doug2222usa »

You will hardly ever remain lacking for a specific stamp you want, from 3 cents to $3 to $3000, as we have a special thread for that:

WANTED TO BUY by members - Stamps or FDC or Accessories etc.

Scroll down the list and you'll see it. Some of the searches are very exacting; there's a town in Newfoundland called Heart's Delight, and I've seen a search for an entire postmark centered on one stamp, and it was fulfilled within the week. Readers like myself will also have postcards, ephemera, and photographs. If you need postcards of Toledo, Ohio, and Toledo, Spain, I have both at hand, etc.

Right now, I have a cache of old pictures, stamps, and cards from French Cameroons, waiting for the right African collector; VERY difficult to find old paper goods from the tropics, most have been magically transformed into BIG above-ground tractor-wrecking termite nests. :mrgreen:

damichab
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by damichab »

Scanning through this thread, I don't think anyone has mentioned the face value of the stamp in relation to average earnings of the time.

A known stamp of value, the Australian £2 kangaroo. Whilst £2 is today not money for a cup of coffee, it was a lot in 1913. Expensive stamps then, much like today, are not bought as often, making them more likely to be valuable.

damichab

Post by damichab »

Princestamps wrote:
They join stampboards, do not bother to introduce themsleves and straight away go to either of the forums, "ask a question" and "no question is too basic" and instantly start a thread usually with "Help needed with old and rare collection", and "Are these 100 year old stamps from Hungary worth $1000000 like the ones I saw on ebay and the internet".
All of the threads, the newbie had under 5 posts and most were 1 or 2 all in the same thread.
There seems to be a number of them in this thread as well.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

damichab wrote:There seems to be a number of them in this thread as well.
The idea for this thread came from just such a situation as Princestamps referred to in his comments.

At the very least, people can come here and do a bit of homework before firing off at both ends - this topic is easy to find without even joining SB :mrgreen:

Your comment about face value V. average earnings hasn't been covered here previously. All things considered, there are a lot of things for new-comers to get their heads around and I, personally, would place the relative value of items further down the list after condition, condition, and condition. Of course others will disagree...

Marney

Post by Marney »

Hello all Australian stamp enthusiasts,
I would be appreciative of your assistance. Are there any particular features that I should look for in these stamps to determine whether there are any of value? Thank you.
Dead image links deleted by moderator

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Marney wrote:Hello all Australian stamp enthusiasts,
I would be appreciative of your assistance. Are there any particular features that I should look for in these stamps to determine whether there are any of value? Thank you.

Sorry nothing but bad news here.

All are extremely common stamps on paper or loose, condition fair to poor, total value of what I have seen - 20 to 50 cents the lot. A lot of them seem to have toning (Brown spots) and/or pieces missing and torn. The reason is all of these stamps were standard letter rates at the time (1930s to 1960s) and are like the emails of then. On average each of these issues had between 40 million and 80 million printed and probably over hundreds of millions (100,000,000 - 999,999,999) each of the KGV heads and QE2 small size stamps.

You are better off giving these to a child, most dealers sell these stamps by the 100 or 1000 for a few cents the hundred, and these are for perfect condition examples, yours are in bad condition. Some of the 2d Heads may have interesting post marks at least and these are collectable, but real value is only a cent or so each.

At least however this is post 2 and I am desparately hoping Post 1 was your introduction.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

Marney

Post by Marney »

Hello Princestamps,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query. I have found your response very helpful.
I also have heaps of green 1p KGV and red Centenary of South Australia 2p stamps in similar condition, so I expect your response would equally apply to them.
Yes, my first post was a brief introduction of myself on another thread.
Thanks again and all the best with your collecting.

Rst6
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by Rst6 »

I have inherited these stamps from my grandmother.
I dont know anything about stamps at all!
All i know if the Penny Black is pretty good to have... and some others may be Australian?
Would be really nice to know some more information about them, thankyou

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

The penny black looks to be in quite good shape . The value of such depends on having clear white edges where the scissors have not cut into the stamp. It seems that is the case with your stamp so it should be worth £80-£100 . the others are not scarce . Australian states issued their own stamps up till 1910 .

It looks like the three from the state of Victoria might be stuck together . it would be all right to float them in tepid water till they separate then dry on paper towel ( do not try to pul them apart you will damage them .

The pair of Blue Queen Victoria 40 Paras were used and cancelled in the British Post Office in Constantinople ( Turkish post services were not universally accepted or very reliable back in 1880s) Nice cancel probably £2

The first stamp is quite a common issue from the Transvaal King Edward VII Cancelled in PRETORIA 1902
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Rst6 - I endorse Vikingeck's comments.

However in your welcome email, you were requested to make your very first post in the introductions thread.

Could you please do this, and then feel free to post to your heart's delight. The stamps you have shown would make an interesting start to a collection as they are all classics and very historic.

JdubUSA

Post by JdubUSA »

I don't post since I really don't have much knowledge to add. With that said, my questions can usually be found reading thru this board. It is filled with many 'answers' to the questions that I come across. This particular thread is always interesting.

John

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

mcgooley wrote:During the intervening period, I've watched the number of on-the-ground stamp dealers (rapidly) dwindle, and the number of contacts to stamp clubs (concerning collection disposal) exponentially increase.
I can attest to this as I receive the emails that are sent to my local club.

To those who may read this thread before they make such contacts I want to say that we hope first and foremost that you will develop an interest in collecting and ideally will join our club.

But, we understand many just want to dispose of an old or inherited collection and are looking for advice on potential value or potential buyers. Here's where you can help yourself. Below is an exact email I received two months ago:

I am wanting to sell my stamp collection. No family member is interested in collecting. I have a 50 year old book, as well as commemorative and plates.

If you know of any one that would be interested, please let me know

Now really. Think for a moment. Based on that information how could anyone know whether anyone would be interested or not?

In this case I politely wrote back and asked if the collector could provide any more descriptive details and ideally include some scans or photos of what they thought was any better material. Two months later I'm still waiting for a response.

Happily I have seen any number of posters in this thread include some scans of what they have along with their questions and express appreciation for the advice they receive, even if it is not what they hoped to hear.

Bottom line is, if you're going to post a query here, or contact a stamp club or a dealer, we can't assist you if we don't know what you have!

Scans are best, but if you don't have a scanner photos will help (although they are often a bit blurry). And if you can't provide either then a reasonably detailed description of what countries the stamps are from, what years they are from, any catalogue information if you have it, etc. will be helpful.

Lastly, when approaching a club please understand that most collectors interested enough in stamps to join a club are beyond the beginner stage. (Although most clubs are welcoming of beginners and happy to help them learn and advance.)

But the point is, if your collection mostly consists of stamps you clipped off mail, or got from friends or relatives, or maybe from some stamp packets you bought when younger - or the same applies to your ancestor - then they will almost certainly be very common stamps and most members of a stamp club will already own them. Meaning there will be little or no interest in buying them. Which is not to disparage your collection, but just to say that people are more likely to want to buy something they don't already own than something they do already own.

By all means do feel free to contact a local club but do also have realistic expectations.

BC

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Brit-Col wrote:Lastly, when approaching a club please understand that most collectors interested enough in stamps to join a club are beyond the beginner stage. (Although most clubs are welcoming of beginners and happy to help them learn and advance.)
Back in 2012, leamphil started a topic about the trials and tribulations of trying to keep stamp clubs alive: Why aren't you a member of your local Stamp Club ? If you (the reader) are 20-something, you will relate to some of the posts on that thread. But, the truth remains that oftentimes it is easier to locate a stamp club in your area than to find a stamp dealer.

Personally, I think any club who doesn't do everything humanly possible to encourage beginners to the hobby (whether the beginners are 10 or 110) has a problem - but that's another topic for another day...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The one alternative which I don't think has had enough coverage on this thread is the potential service which Stamp Fairs can provide. Allow me to elucidate;

During the past 6 weeks, I received many (20? - 30? I lost count) requests for assistance to dispose of unwanted material. This was in the wake of the advertising for our recent annual Stamp & Coin Fair. I was in the fortunate position of being able to 'match' dealers to most of the enquiries.
As Glen has commented, on more than one occasion, "hold the stamp up to the phone so I can see it better" -
Brit-Col wrote:Scans are best, but if you don't have a scanner photos will help (although they are often a bit blurry). And if you can't provide either then a reasonably detailed description of what countries the stamps are from, what years they are from, any catalogue information if you have it, etc. will be helpful.
Over the phone; be prepared. The person you call will ask pertinent questions like...
"What does the album/stockbook smell like when you open it?" Sounds stupid? Probably - but to a stamp collector, we don't have to see it, if you say 'it smells kinda musty' or 'it's got a funny smell'...we already know that Houston has a problem.
"What do the stamps look like?" - do they have any brown toning around them, or through them; are they torn, or missing any of those 'wiggly edges'...see above.

A life-time collection of First Day Covers (FDC) will send many club secretaries running for cover (or their third/tenth whisky for the day), but don't despair. All it takes is just a couple of the scarcer types detected amongst the collection for a dealer to offer to take the lot.

I'll relate just one instance...
I got a call from a couple who'd been charged with disposing of a neighbour's effects when he was admitted to high-care with dementia.

Among his possessions was a single stamp album.

I arranged to meet with them at a neutral location to evaluate the album. (With sinking heart - this isn't a job I enjoy.) Sure enough, I was presented with a tattered, smelly, badly damp-affected, old-fashioned stockbook where the stamps were hinged into the album.

The gentleman had inherited the album from his uncle, who was born in Germany during the 1860s, and had started collecting when he was a child. A young child.

The album chronicled his life, with sections throughout Europe; his move to Japan in the 1870s, to the American continents during the '80s and '90s, to Victoria (Australia) at the end of the 19th century.

The book had been badly affected by damp to the first 30/40 pages, before a noticeable improvement through the last two-thirds of the album.

Which finished in 1916.

In Australia.

I cried.

On the sixth-last page, there was a complete set of first-watermark Australian 'Roos - full gum, CTO, and SPECIMEN overprint on the higher values - straight out of the Government issue booklet.

In perfect mint, very lightly-hinged, condition.

I matched this album to one of the dealers I knew would be able to give an honest value (and I won't deny I asked for a postmark in the album, as the 'spotter' fee). The album has ensured the previous owner to some serious care for a long time to come.

Moral of the story...
Don't dismiss a Stamp/Coin Fair as a possibility to (at the very least) get an evaluation for your collection. Make sure you have done some ground work beforehand, but if you want to dispose of the accumulation then sometimes these events might be the best opportunity you have. A number of dealers, in one place at the same time, can be a worthwhile proposition.

Prof

Re: Some Advice for Inherited Collections

Post by Prof »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:Looks like a great thread so far, and I'll make a small contribution to that. :wink:

"Old" Stamps

Also remember that if you find stamps attached to old documents, invoices, postcards, envelopes etc DO NOT CUT THEM OFF ... Some stamps are worth 10c each as an off paper stamps, yet can be worth 100's of dollars on a cover.

A badly damaged 25c Rice stamp on cover mailed to India in the 1970's sold for $250 on eBay last year. :shock:

That exact stamp, in that condition off cover would be worth nothing.

So don't snip any stamps. :)
Makes sense but what do you do if you need to see a watermark to verify the type of stamp? Identifying the type of Red Washington 2 Cent is challenging--and you need to see if there's a watermark. Would be nice to pinpoint the correct color and type but hard to do it without removing them from the envelope.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Prof wrote:Would be nice to pinpoint the correct color and type but hard to do it without removing them from the envelope.
There might be help at hand:
How to detect a watermark from a stamp on a cover?
Stamp Watermarks - what are they and how to see them best?
Watermark detection off cover and on - need your thoughts

There are more if you use the search engine at the bottom of the page...

Prof

Post by Prof »

mcgooley wrote:
Prof wrote:Would be nice to pinpoint the correct color and type but hard to do it without removing them from the envelope.
There might be help at hand:
How to detect a watermark from a stamp on a cover?
Stamp Watermarks - what are they and how to see them best?
Watermark detection off cover and on - need your thoughts

There are more if you use the search engine at the bottom of the page...
Thank you!

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Prof, you're treading into a very confusing and difficult area with the U.S. Washington / Franklin series. Even off cover the single line watermarks can be extremely difficult to locate. Postmark dates help with narrowing down the Scott number.

Things you'll need to know;

Printing type - Flat plate, Rotary press, or offset.
Type - Type I, Type II, etc.

Here is a good site for learning about these.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/washfrank/washfrankmain.html
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

Prof

Post by Prof »

stallzer wrote:Prof, you're treading into a very confusing and difficult area with the U.S. Washington / Franklin series. Even off cover the single line watermarks can be extremely difficult to locate. Postmark dates help with narrowing down the Scott number.

Things you'll need to know;

Printing type - Flat plate, Rotary press, or offset.
Type - Type I, Type II, etc.

Here is a good site for learning about these.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/washfrank/washfrankmain.html
This is very helpful--thank you! The envelope is postmarked 1921 (there are 2 GW stamps). It was mailed to my grandfather from The Society of Colonial Wars in New York, to let him know he was accepted into this genealogical society. I will figure out how to post a pic on here and upload.

Malcolmb

Inherited Stamp collection

Post by Malcolmb »

I have taken photos of the albums that are slightly sorted if anybody can let me know if there is anything of value here. I have thousands of stamps in envelopes too.

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/malcolmbarske/library/

Britcollector

Re: Inherited Stamp collection

Post by Britcollector »

Malcomb,

Those prints are so small that I doubt you will get much of an answer.

phrag99
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by phrag99 »

Malcolm - welcome to the board. Congratulations on at least being able to post images.

It's essential to show the stamps at a decent size - unless I am mistaken, your welcome email gave pointers.

I can't even make out what the country of origin is for most of your stamps.

spike101
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by spike101 »

Hi stamp enthusiasts,

I have recently joined this forum to gain a better understanding of a stamp collection from my father who has been collecting stamps for a number of years and cataloged them the best he can. Ranging from the early 1800s to perhaps 2000 from UK, AU and some other parts of the world. (No he isnt that old but it does help when your grandfather was a PMG).

I would be most grateful if there are some people with the time to view the below link which I believe you can zoom in on the photos uploaded and let me know any particular features that I should be made aware of and whether it is a hobby to continue or break the collection up and keep any valuable stamps for future reference. As I didn't collect them, I do not have the need to sell them and would rather share it and pass it on to the next generation.

I have tried to sort them as they were stored as there are quite a few albums and any feedback would be wonderful with reference.

https://www.dropbox.com.au/sh/s0c9i8tenwfsiun/AADvaKdg5KquUI4zBECwfz7Ea?dl=0

Thank you.

Spike101

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Hi spike

Could you please post the images on this page.

We are wary of clicking on external links as often there will be nasties, pop up ads and possible viruses lurking.

spike101

Post by spike101 »

Princestamps wrote:Hi spike

Could you please post the images on this page.

We are wary of clicking on external links as often there will be nasties, pop up ads and possible viruses lurking.
Happy to do so but there are approx. 600 photos and well it's a Dropbox link that I have tested to ensure you don't get spam or rubbish as I fully understand how you feel and respect the forum

But if I'm able to upload the photos approx 2GB please let me know

Cheers

Spike

phrag99

Post by phrag99 »

Spike _ your link has been disabled.

If you read your welcome email there's a link to how to post on here.

It's usual to post no more than a couple of pages or so at a time. We will then probably ask to see some of the stamps in greater detail scanned against a black background. Start with the early GB and/or Aussie stamps and let's take it from there.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

I know for many new members, actually READING the Rules and links and helpful Guidelines is WAY too hard and far too boring, but like most things in life, ALL is fully covered in the Instruction Manual you were CLEARLY advised TWICE to read, when you joined up -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

Admin

But we know newbies are often FAR oo busy to actually read anything simple so here we go again -
admin wrote:
11. Photo Images - we need them on *EVERY* new thread!

Please share as many photos of stamps and covers that you own, that you care to. Philately is the most VISUAL of Hobbies. We have funded unlimited bandwidth to display them all, which is the main feature of this board. "One photo speaks 1000 words" is true more of stamps, than most things! ALL new threads need a photo please of SOME kind. NOT just a link to some alleged obscure photo sharing account, or unknown hillbilly website, that may of course lead anywhere and have malware, spyware, adware, ransomware embedded etc. :idea:

Near all members use the free and superb http://www.imgur.com or http://www.photobucket.com to quickly load images - full easy-to-follow primer on that here - and how to scan and load images here FAST - http://www.tinyurl.com/StampPix You MUST have some activity in your IMGUR or photobucket account once each 6 months for it to stay active - and for your links here to still work - please heed their email to you if you get one. Just logging in and doing nothing 'activates' you. :mrgreen:

spike101

Post by spike101 »

phrag99 wrote:Spike _ your link has been disabled.

If you read your welcome email there's a link to how to post on here.

It's usual to post no more than a couple of pages or so at a time. We will then probably ask to see some of the stamps in greater detail scanned against a black background. Start with the early GB and/or Aussie stamps and let's take it from there.

Thanks for the heads up. will upload a couple shortly. disappointing the link has been disabled.

spike101

Post by spike101 »

Global Administrator wrote:I know for many new members, actually READING the Rules and links and helpful Guidelines is WAY too hard and far too boring, but like most things in life, ALL is fully covered in the Instruction Manual you were CLEARLY advised TWICE to read, when you joined up -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

Admin

But we know newbies are often FAR oo busy to actually read anything simple so here we go again -
admin wrote:
11. Photo Images - we need them on *EVERY* new thread!

Please share as many photos of stamps and covers that you own, that you care to. Philately is the most VISUAL of Hobbies. We have funded unlimited bandwidth to display them all, which is the main feature of this board. "One photo speaks 1000 words" is true more of stamps, than most things! ALL new threads need a photo please of SOME kind. NOT just a link to some alleged obscure photo sharing account, or unknown hillbilly website, that may of course lead anywhere and have malware, spyware, adware, ransomware embedded etc. :idea:

Near all members use the free and superb http://www.imgur.com or http://www.photobucket.com to quickly load images - full easy-to-follow primer on that here - and how to scan and load images here FAST - http://www.tinyurl.com/StampPix You MUST have some activity in your IMGUR or photobucket account once each 6 months for it to stay active - and for your links here to still work - please heed their email to you if you get one. Just logging in and doing nothing 'activates' you. :mrgreen:
Yes Im a newbie and I apologise I didnt read the entire 41 odd points. Perhaps some feedback about my experience thus for with the photo editors in question above and one in particular is full of ads so hasn't been great uploading the photos to share with other members to view. Can I ask perhaps why these are the recommended file sharing programs? Dropbox doesn't spam or make me look at adds. And I think could be worth a revisit of sites acceptable to use.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Spike, neither Imgur nor Photobucket (the two preferred image-hosting sites here) are without faults. PB, in particular, has gone from bad to worse over the past few years - even for paying customers like myself...

How do I post images on Stampboards? is an excellent tutorial for both the above mentioned sites, and Want to add a photo/image? Practice posting a picture HERE! gives you the opportunity to ensure that uploading the images works - from whatever platform you choose.

I don't believe any image-hosting site won't work here - as long as the parameters are acceptable. The main problem will be setting the size to 800 x 600. This is the largest acceptable size for this board's platform.

I've never had any experience with Dropbox or many of the other image-hosting sites which are available, but the principles will be the same for whichever you use. Always ensure you preview your post to check that the images are loaded, and never delete an image after it's been posted. If, like many members here, you plan on posting a number of images, consider setting up a filing system on your preferred site to enable you to find the images quickly and easily.

Finally; the issue of this board hosting its own image program has been considered in the past. The problems with that are wide-ranging - not the very least would be the cost incurred. This board, now nearly 10 years old, supports a very broad community from many countries, most of whom are more than willing to assist newbies. All the information here is freely available, and there is no cost incurred to any of the users at any time. (Hey, unless we get a virus on our own computer, we don't even get any ads :D )

All we ask is that you meet us halfway.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Dropbox is not image hosting, it is online data storage which would require clicking a link and not having the image shown here.

Unless someone was a trusted long time member, I would not click on an external link.

Members seeing the image here, when a question is asked, saves both time and going back and forth between websites.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Thanks for clarifying that - as I said, I've never had any experience with that platform

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

spike101 wrote:Can I ask perhaps why these are the recommended file sharing programs?
Because in our over 10 years of existence, they have worked fine.

We are a visual board and want images posted IN each thread .

If you want FREE advice on your stamps, but can't be bothered to post images in our tried and proven safe portals - sorry we cannot assist. :idea:

spike101

Post by spike101 »

mcgooley wrote:Spike, neither Imgur nor Photobucket (the two preferred image-hosting sites here) are without faults. PB, in particular, has gone from bad to worse over the past few years - even for paying customers like myself...

How do I post images on Stampboards? is an excellent tutorial for both the above mentioned sites, and Want to add a photo/image? Practice posting a picture HERE! gives you the opportunity to ensure that uploading the images works - from whatever platform you choose.

I don't believe any image-hosting site won't work here - as long as the parameters are acceptable. The main problem will be setting the size to 800 x 600. This is the largest acceptable size for this board's platform.

I've never had any experience with Dropbox or many of the other image-hosting sites which are available, but the principles will be the same for whichever you use. Always ensure you preview your post to check that the images are loaded, and never delete an image after it's been posted. If, like many members here, you plan on posting a number of images, consider setting up a filing system on your preferred site to enable you to find the images quickly and easily.

Finally; the issue of this board hosting its own image program has been considered in the past. The problems with that are wide-ranging - not the very least would be the cost incurred. This board, now nearly 10 years old, supports a very broad community from many countries, most of whom are more than willing to assist newbies. All the information here is freely available, and there is no cost incurred to any of the users at any time. (Hey, unless we get a virus on our own computer, we don't even get any ads :D )

All we ask is that you meet us halfway.

Thank you for your feedback and understand further that posting images does help a great deal than just going to outside the realm. Appreciate the constructive feedback and honesty of the Imgur and Photobucket.

working on the new links to share :)
Last edited by spike101 on 22 Feb 2017 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

spike101

Post by spike101 »

Global Administrator wrote:
spike101 wrote:Can I ask perhaps why these are the recommended file sharing programs?
Because in our over 10 years of existence, they have worked fine.

We are a visual board and want images posted IN each thread .

If you want FREE advice on your stamps, but can't be bothered to post images in our tried and proven safe portals - sorry we cannot assist. :idea:

Appreciate your feedback and understand the requirements to be visual, only asking the question as over 10 years things have improved in cloud based applications and some haven't as per a previous poster acknowledged.

spike101

Post by spike101 »

ok round 2 and uploaded to photobucket and hopefully some links below work for people to see, if I have wasted peoples time my apologies and I shall disappear in to the night...

if the above stamps have been of interest and no doubt been seen before there are some more below for people to review and comment.

Appreciate your time and patience to look and would be nice to hear some comments of what they have found of interest.

spike

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Hi spike101.

When it comes to value in a stamp collection, condition is everything unless the stamp is really rare, that is close to unique.

Even then it matters - just not as much.

Your first two images are of common stamps in poor condition; they would be of interest to a juvenile collector to fill a space; but not too most adults.

Unfortunately, most young people have shallow pockets. If I acquired these as part of a collection, that had something else of interest to me, I would give them away promptly.

The third image is of stamp in better condition although the bottom left corner needs a clean.

Unfortunately, with older orange stamps you need to find out from an expert how colourfast the ink used is, before you attempt this.

I hope one of our board members who has expertise in this area can provide more information.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

spike101 wrote: Image
This is SG 163 a £13 stamp, so you may well have some better pieces.

Load them up here ONE BY ONE.

I deleted your link to 100s of photobucket images - I repeat we do NOT work like that.

Post them HERE and you will get some free response HERE.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”