1d Red Kangaroo with violet "OFFICIAL" Handstamp??!

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

1d Red Kangaroo with violet "OFFICIAL" Handstamp??!

Post by Global Admin »

Strange item.

I was sorting through a suitcase of stamp bought over to me today. Formed by the seller's Father and Grandfather, it contained some useful material but all pretty mainstream.

It had not been added to for decades.

Sorting through it I spotted this strange handstamp - a diagonal "OFFICIAL" handstamp. It was not marked in any way in the collection - just sitting on the page with other 1913 Kangaroos.

Made of rubber I'd guess. There appears to be a trace of more violet ink lower left corner. Can anyone decipher town of the black cds?

I had just been reading the interesting thread on stampboards where the NZ PO hand-stamped 100s of stamps in the 1930s with a crude "CLEANED" overprint.

Why? As some cheeky sod had been chemically cleaning off cancels from older NZ stamps, and offering them in club circuit books as "Unused".

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48568

This con was being done via the Philatelic Society of NZ back in 1936, and a Postal Inspector seized their circuit books and 100s of the contents were thus overprinted.

Some of these ended up in Jim Brodie's fabulous NZ collection, and those were sold at the auction held at the RPSNZ's 125th Anniversary Celebration early September and fetched high prices.

The only AUSTRALIAN connection to Official markings being made in such a way I can think of, were the ½d Orange Kangaroo stamp with red "OS" handstamps.

ACSC KGVI page 50 tells us these were done by the NSW Department of Agriculture due to a shortage of official stamps.

I sighted a few of those covers in a very recent Auction catalogue - anyone recall which one?

Glen
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: 1d Red Kangaroo with violet "OFFICIAL" Handstamp

Post by Global Admin »

My best guess at cancel is NARACOORTE (SA)
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: 1d Red Kangaroo with violet "OFFICIAL" Handstamp??!

Post by Global Admin »

OK, knew I'd seen the OS red handstamps recently.

They are in the next Millennium Auction, September 18.

https://www.millenniumauctions.com.au/search.php3?showcategor ... D+ISSUES,,

This on piece trio estimated $A150 were invoiced for about $A400.

1948-56 No Watermark ½d Kangaroo with large 'O.S.' handstamp in magenta used on pieces with 1950 2½d NSW Stamp Centenary punctured 'G/NSW' at Deniliquin in May 1951 (2), or with 2d and 3d KGVI punctured 'G/NSW' cancelled at Scone in May 1951. (3 pieces)
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

One of our main experts on SA Square Circle postmarks, Greg Ioannou in Canada has confirmed this is without doubt a "Naracoorte" Squared Circle postmark -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=580&p=3525377&e=3525377

Greg says the SA Study Group research shows the latest use of the cancel was September 23, 1913. This 1d Roo stamp was issued in Jan 1913, and was replaced by the 1d red KGV head in 1914, so the year this was used must be 1913 or 1914.

Naracoorte is a small town in the South East of South Australia.

Member Big Saint kindly searched the States postmark data base, and confirms no state cancel ends in "COORTE" except Naracoorte.

That is the great beauty of stampboards .. pieces of the jigsaw puzzle can be added to slowly complete an overall picture! :mrgreen:

The great thing about such detective work is that is ANOTHER copy turns up, unless it is cancelled Naracoorte or thereabouts, one can assume it is faked.

Glen
aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

Could it be a handstamp applied to the original cover, a handstamp related to routing in the addressee's office, that happened to end up partially on the stamp? Maybe something like "Forward to Medical Official", "Attention Consular Official".
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

That's a thoughtful possibility but is not a usage I have ever seen, and especially being on a stamp would be most unusual to place such a mark, and if it was used, others would exist for sure?
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Global Administrator wrote:OK, knew I'd seen the OS red handstamps recently.

They are in the next Millennium Auction, September 18.

https://www.millenniumauctions.com.au/search.php3?showcategor ... D+ISSUES,,

The on piece trio estimated $A150 were invoiced for about $A400.

1948-56 No Watermark ½d Kangaroo with large 'O.S.' handstamp in magenta used on pieces with 1950 2½d NSW Stamp Centenary punctured 'G/NSW' at Deniliquin in May 1951 (2), or with 2d and 3d KGVI punctured 'G/NSW' cancelled at Scone in May 1951. (3 pieces)
Have updated the final prices - for the record.

Th 3 cut outs were invoiced for about $A400 with all add-ons bolted on, and the

The on-piece trio had an estimate of $150 and was invoiced after all add-ons for about $A400.

The ½d “OS” pair illustrated above was invoiced for $A210.
revenuecollector
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by revenuecollector »

There are a couple of areas in U.S. philately where similar types of handstamped overprints occur, some in violet ink like this one. By my recollection they were usually "provisional uses" and they occurred either (1) immediately prior to the issue of "official" overprinted stamps, or (2) when the post office was out of the officially issued stamps.

Basically they were a stopgap to address a need.

One has to be very careful, as they are easily faked. In this case though, the postal cancellation is clearly on top of the violet handstamp, which is a good thing.

If only it were still on the original cover; twould be a cool item to see.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Clearing off my desk 6 years after posting this above, and this stockcard turned up again in the rubble!

Anyone see anything similar since the thread started?

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”