Sportsmen on Stamps - are these Real Persons or drawn in?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Sportsmen on Stamps - are these Real Persons or drawn i

Post by vicaf60 »

No guesses as to the footballers in the Bolivian stamps and souvenir sheets :(
However, let's continue with 2 recent issued from France and Monaco that might easily escape an inattentive Olympic collector :wink:

On April 22, the French Post commemorated with a stamp and a "philatelic souvenir" (which I have no good scans of, to say nothing of the item itself) the 150th birth anniversary of Jean-Baptiste Auguste Étienne Charcot, a French scientist, medical doctor and polar scientist.

His name is quite well known, however, some might not know that Jean-Baptist Charcot was an avid yacht sailor who won 2 silver medals at the 2nd Olympic games held in 1900 in Paris - in the both races of the ton class yachts :D

Another issue is a set of two stamps to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the Princess of Monaco Foundation established in 2012. The stamps were issued on April 14, 2017.

Charlene, Princess of Monaco, born Charlene Lynette Wittstock, s a former Olympic swimmer for South Africa who competed for South Africa at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, with her team finishing fifth in the 4 × 100 metre medley relay. :D

basilthedog
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by basilthedog »

In relation to the football stamps issued by Bolivia; the first mini sheet would appear to be a league match as I think the team in yellow and black stripes are The Strongest. The second mini sheet I assume is a player from the 1982 era in national kit; as Bolivia did not qualify for the 1982 World Cup I cannot come up with a name.

Relating to the first two stamps; Bolivia won the 1963 Copa America for their first and, so far, only time.

Whilst Argentina play in striped shirts and Peru play in a white shirt with red diagonal the shorts do not tally. I would guess that these are from league matches and one of the striped shirts may be the yellow/black as above.

Finally, the flags of 10 nations are shown on the stamps however Uruguay, Chile and Venezuela did not participate.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

One more Olympic related issue - one of the kind I dislike :(
Slovenia, a stamp to commemorate the coming IAAF World Championship to be held in August in London. The stamp shows a stylized hammer thrower (possibly, a hint to Primož Kozmus from Slovenia, the Olympic champion in 2008 and silver medallist in 2012, and the world champion in 2009 in Berlin), and was issued in sheets of 6, with three intermediate labels.
The lower label present a stylized hammer throw sector at a stadium, with 2 red dots pointed out - 86.74 m and 82.98 m. These are world records in hammer throw for men and women, their authors are Yuriy Sedykh (USSR), 2 times Olympic champion (1976 and 1980), and Anita Włodarczyk (Poland), too, two times Olympic champion (2012 and 2016).

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

A recent finding (thanks to colleagues from another forum :D ):

In 1959 the Brazilian Post commemorated their national basketball team winning the world champion's title with a stamp that featured a sportsman with the cup in his hands.
It turns out that the sportsman in the stamp is Zenny de Azevedo (nicknamed Algodão) who competed for his native country in four consecutive Summer Olympics, starting in 1948, and won the bronze medal in 1948 and 1960 :D

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks to Florian, two more older stamps, this time from Czechoslovakia, told their story :D
1953 Sports set - the 60 h stamp presents the outstading Czech javelin thrower Dana Zátopková, Olympic champion in Helsinki in 1952 and vice-champion in Rome in 1960. The stamp was designed after a photograph taken during the Olympic tournament in Helsinki.

Image Image

In 1954, her husband, Emil Zátopek, 4 times Olympic champion (three times in Helsinki, during the same Olympic games :D ), plus 1 silver medal in 1948 in London. After winning gold in the 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres runs he decided to tun marathon, too, for the first time in his life. And he won it :D

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Another quiz - Montserrat, 2004, a stamp from the set of 4 commemorating the Olympic Games in Athens.
The upper part of the stamp presents 1976 Montreal Olympics official poster.
I need to find out the names of the 2 sportsmen below. I hope someone will help recognize them :D

Florian
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Florian »

Hi vicaf,

Having searched for a fine image of the Dana Zátopková-Ingrová stamp on Google, this is the best one I could find:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CZECHOSLOVAKIA-1953-VOLLEYBALL-MOTORC ... SwYmZXNRwx

For more info on her see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Z%C3%A1topkov%C3%A1

Regards,

Florián

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Another pleasant (for an Olympic collector) finding in older Germany's issues :)
A stamp from the set issued in 1974 in FRG to commemorate 1974 FIFA Cup shows Uli Hoeneß (in the centre, in white-and-black uniforms) in the game the West Germany payed against France on October 13, 1973 in Gelsenkirchen (Germany won 2:1).
Ulrich Hoeneß was a member of the West Germany's Olympic football team in Munich in 1972.
The footballer on the ground is Marius Trésor, who is the other player - I do not know, unfortunately :( Possibly, someone will help :wink:

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

vicaf60 wrote:What is left then is to find the original photography used for the stamp, like in that maxi card or the Germany stamp for 2014 FIFA Cup:

And thank you for the information on the 2014 Football stamp - I missed it somehow, and it was new for me :D
Meanwhile, Xavi (Xavier Hernández Creus) of Spain is an Olympian - he won a silver medal in 2000 in Sydney :D
It turns out that the 2014 stamp was not the only one in Germany where Lukas Josef Podolski and Xavier Hernández Creus (Xavi) left their legs :lol: - 4 years before it the German Post issued a stamp with the same legs :D

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

The 2010 stamp with Podolski and Xavi was issued in a set with another stamp commemorating the 2010 IIHF world championship. The stamp design is photography-based again - the two ice hockey players in the stamp are Paul Manning, a Canadian from Hamburg Freezers, and Vitalij Aab, a Kazakhstanian German from Iserlohn Roosters, at the Color Line Arena on October 16, 2005 in Hamburg, Germany.
Unfortunately, none is Olympian :(

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

One more fresh stamp (July 7, 2017) with real athletes on it :D - this time from Monaco.
The stamp commemorates the 30th anniversary of Herculis International Athletic Meeting, a competition of the IAAF Diamond League held at Louis II Stadium in Monaco.
The stamp presents the only 2 bearers of the world records set at this competition - Genzebe Dibaba Keneni from Ethiopia (1500 m; 3:50.07 in 2015) and Yelena Isinbayeva from Russia (pole vault; 5.04 m in 2008), and another pole vaulter, Serhii (Sergey) Bubka from Ukraine (1988 Olympic champion for the USSR).
The fourth is - if I am not mistaken, if I am - please do correct me - Frederick Carlton Lewis, who won 9 gold and 1 silver Olympic medals in 4 Olympic games between 1984 (Los Angeles) and 1996 (Atlanta) in sprint and long jump.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks to my colleagues in a Russian forum, two more German stamps reveal their "hidden message" :D
Ole Einar Bjoerndalen of Norway skates during the Men mass start of the E.ON Ruhrgas IBU Biathlon World Cup on January 11, 2009 in Oberhof near Erfurt, Germany - https://www.gettyimages.com/event/men...ure-id84252604
Now, just need to find who was No. 9 in that race, to name the other skier in the stamp :)
Harald Eder of Austria competes on his way to winning the Silver Medal in the Men's Slalom - Sitting during Day Nine of the Turin 2006 Winter Paralympic Games on March 19, 2006 in Sestriere Borgata, Italy - https://www.gettyimages.com/license/57129631

fchd
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by fchd »

The link to Getty images doesn't work, but assuming you've got the right race, number 9 was Halvard Hannevold.

http://biathlonrus.com/eng/contests/international/2008-2009/ ... start-men/

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks a lot, fchd :D
Here's the correct link: http://www.gettyimages.com/event/mens-mass-start-event-ibu-b ... id84252604
So, one more name on the stamp - Halvard Hanevold, Norway, 3 times Olympic champion (1998, 2002 and 2010) :D

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Argentina issued a mini sheet to commemorate its national tennies team winning 2016 Davis Cup. The MS presents the team with the trophy after winning the final match against Croatia.
I hope there are tennis fans in the forum who will be able to correct my guess (if I am wrong).

So, left to right: Guido Pella, Federico Delbonis, Daniel Orsanic (couch), Leonardo Martín Mayer, and Juan Martín del Potro.
Three of the four Argentinian tennis players in the MS are Olympians: Pella (2016), Delbonis (2016) and del Potro (2012 and 2016).

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Am I right to suppose that this 1999 Laos mini sheet with Muhammad Ali is a cinderella? Can't find it in catalogues :(

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Again help is needed :)
This Danish stamp was issued in 1992. The design was made after a photograph by Morten Bo but I failed to find it in the network :(
So, any hints as to who is the female skater in the tamp are welcomed :D
And one more stamp with figure skaters, this time from former Yugoslavia (issued for 1976 Innsbruck Winter Olympics). The drawing is definitely made after a photograph. Again, I will appreciate any hints :wink:

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

vicaf60 wrote:Am I right to suppose that this 1999 Laos mini sheet with Muhammad Ali is a cinderella? Can't find it in catalogues :(
Victor,

Found your Muhammad Ali and Hank Aaron sheet on this site selling cinderellas, locals, etc.. If you do a search for Laos you will find your sheet and nine other sheets including a sheetlet containing the nine different cinderellas.

https://www.topicalsetc.com/russian_locals/russian_locals_stamps.asp
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks for the link, Mark :D

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

A new Olympic philatelic cycle = new enigmas on stamps = new findings :D

The recent stamp from Macedonia presenting a single female figure skater:
The source for the stamp is a photograph by Josh Haner, The New York Times, that show Gabrielle Daleman of Canada:
Now, who is on the second Macedonian stamp? :wink:

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

vicaf60 wrote:Now, who is on the second Macedonian stamp? :wink:
Well, it turned out no so difficult to find the answer :lol: - less than a minute to find the source photograph (made during a training session in February 214 in the Sliding Center Sanki, Krasnaya Polyana, Sochi), and a bit more time to find the name of the athlete.

You would not believe but its again... Canadian :P It's Alex Gough who competed in Turin in 2006, in Vancouver in 2010, and in Sochi in 2014.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

vicaf60 wrote:Kyrgyz Pochtasy, February 22, 2018

A set of 4 stamps (ski jumping, figure skating, ice hockey and snowboarding) and a souvenir sheet of the 4 stamps issued together.
Agan, the stamp design is photography based :D
This time the designer from Kyrgyzstan used a photo of Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov, Olympic champions in team competition and bronze medallists in ice dancing in Sochi, in 2014.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Can't find the thread I took the scan from, so I'll ask it here :)

Can anybody name the female footballer in the maxi card?

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Can someone at least say what country team it is? Australia or some other country?

saggod

Post by saggod »

As I cannot read Chinese, I am not sure if these stamps are meant to honour particular athletes or if they are also generic olympic stamps? Can anyone shed some light?
Countries - Singapore, HK, India. | Themes - Sports, Stamp on Stamp and space.
Will collect whatever catches my eye! Reach out if you would like to exchange covers!

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

These are a generic design - a set of 6 stamps plus a souvenir sheet commemorating 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
The designer might use some photoes in hir work, however, these are typical representatives of their spots in typical motions :)

saggod

Post by saggod »

vicaf60 wrote:These are a generic design - a set of 6 stamps plus a souvenir sheet commemorating 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
The designer might use some photoes in hir work, however, these are typical representatives of their spots in typical motions :)
Thank you for the clrification!

I have two FDCs with the six stamps. Did not know there was a mini sheet as well! Esp since the numbering at the bottom of the stamps just goes 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, and 6-6...
Countries - Singapore, HK, India. | Themes - Sports, Stamp on Stamp and space.
Will collect whatever catches my eye! Reach out if you would like to exchange covers!

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Portugal, 2018, a stamp commemorating the 100th anniversary of Fernando Peyroteo, a striker from the Sporting FC.
The background photo presents the famous "Five Violins" of the Sporting FC - (left to right) António Jesus Correia, Manuel Soeiro Vasques, Fernando Baptista de Seixas Peyroteo de Vasconcelos, José António Barreto Travassos and Albano Narciso Pereira.
Unfortunately, none of them was an Olympian :(
P.S. Still hoping for help (or any hint) on the Australian football stamp :wink:

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Help is needed again :wink:

Mexico issued 2 stamps (as a se0tenant pair) depicting their national football team at 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
I'm not much of a football fan, and therefore, I can't recognize all the footballers in the stamps. Meanwhile, the Mexican team is packed with Olympians as a barrel with herrings :lol:

Would highly appreciate if someone checks my guess and fills the gaps :D

2. Rafael Márquez Álvarez?
4. Javier Hernández Balcázar
6. Héctor Miguel Herrera López (2012, gold medal)
8. Hirving Rodrigo Lozano Bahena? (2016)
9. Miguel Arturo Layún Prado
10. Francisco Guillermo Ochoa Magaña (2004)
11. Carlos Alberto Vela Garrido?

And the stamps proper :)
A bigger scan is here: https://imgur.com/a/mvKetkt

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Removing Photobucket from other threads, I've burried down mine :lol:
So I move it up and hope for someone to know the right answer :wink:

MaJu

Post by MaJu »

vicaf60 wrote:Help is needed again :wink:
The first player on the left in your stamp of the Mexico team could be Andres Guardado.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

MaJu wrote:
vicaf60 wrote:Help is needed again :wink:
The first player on the left in your stamp of the Mexico team could be Andres Guardado.
Thanks a lot, Markus :D
You must be right about Guardado:

MaJu

Post by MaJu »

Player number 5: Oribe Peralta

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

MaJu wrote:Player number 5: Oribe Peralta
Thanks, Markus :D

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Victor,

I think that the second player, from the left, is Carlos Vela and the seventh player is Diego Reyes.
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks, Mark :D
In the Russian Forum the opinion on Vela was the same - he is No. 2, not 11. Accepted :D
Special thanks for No. 7 :D

AMark

Post by AMark »

The third player might be Nestor Araujo?

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

AMark wrote:The third player might be Nestor Araujo?
I believe you're right, Mark :D
Thanks a lot. Now, only one player (No. 11) is needed, and one needs to be confirmed (Losano, No. 8)

MaJu

Post by MaJu »

vicaf60 wrote:Thanks a lot. Now, only one player (No. 11) is needed, and one needs to be confirmed (Losano, No. 8 )
I agree on Lozano, and for no. 11, I am far away from being sure, but I suggest to look at Raul Jimenez.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

I suppose you're right, Markus :D
Unless someone presents strong arguments against the list, I will consider it as closed :lol:

In any way, the stamp is Olympic-relted for me, and is in my want list :)

P.S. By the way, your letter safely arrived today, Markus. Thank you very much, and hope for more exchanges in the future :D

I will scan and post the contents a bit later.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Time to bump this thread forward a bit :wink:

Kazakhstan's recent mini sheet commemorating their participation in 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics presents the owner of the only country's medal at those Games, Yuliya Galysheva, bronze in women's mogul (compare the picture of the athlete in the stamp and in the FDC):

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Some time ago I asked about the footballers in the recent Iraqi set commemorating the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. Now I's sure that the designers used photographs of real sportsmen :)

Compare the picture in the stamp and the photo:
I don't know the names (yet) but the photo shows an episode from BSK Borča's match in the Serbian internal championship.

But thet way, could it be Ronaldo (No. 7) in the other stamp?

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Again help need in identification :)

This stamp from Ivory Coast from 1990 presents an episode from the Olympic match between squads of Brazil and West Germany in a semi-final. The Brazilian footballer is Bebeto (José Roberto Gama de Oliveira), but I can't find the name of the German player :(
The photo is available in the network but with no details (or I've been not that good in searching)

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

So, anybody any ideas about the German footballer? :wink:

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Victor,

Perhaps, it's Wolfgang Funkel? He took part in the semi-final game against Brazil.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks, Mark :D
I'll try to check it but the idea looks quite probable :D

kelpiefarm
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by kelpiefarm »

AMark wrote:Hi Victor,

Perhaps, it's Wolfgang Funkel? He took part in the semi-final game against Brazil.

Just asked my Dutch football crazy husband, he says when you google : "Funkel" and " Bebeto" that is in fact the image that comes up , so it looks like a "yes"
Currently working at becoming a total barn goddess. Collecting horses, horse racing, cats, dogs, roosters, chickens, geese, motorcycles and anything colourful and unusual !

kelpiefarm

Post by kelpiefarm »

vicaf60 wrote:Some time ago I asked about the footballers in the recent Iraqi set commemorating the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. Now I's sure that the designers used photographs of real sportsmen :)

Compare the picture in the stamp and the photo:
I don't know the names (yet) but the photo shows an episode from BSK Borča's match in the Serbian internal championship.

But thet way, could it be Ronaldo (No. 7) in the other stamp?
The fellow on the left is probably #9 Nikola Furtula, 21 year old forward for BSK Borca
Currently working at becoming a total barn goddess. Collecting horses, horse racing, cats, dogs, roosters, chickens, geese, motorcycles and anything colourful and unusual !

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks again, kelpiefarm, I'll try to check your guess :)

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Haven't been writing in this thread for quite a time :wink:

Yesterday, I got a lovely FDC from Bijoy, with the stamps commemorating Odisha Hockey men's World Cup, and an information brochure inside. I have suspected from the very beginning that the designer used a photography of real sportsmen to create the stamps. Though having failed to find specific photographs, now, upon having exmined the stamps closely, I'm nearly sure they present real hockey players from India and some other countries.

I'm not a great expert on this sport in general and the Indian national team in particular, however, some players in the stamps have a strong rersemblance with members of the current squad. Here are my "findings" - I hope Stampboarders from India and those with more knowledge on field hockey will express their opinion, and, possibly, add some more infoirmation.

So, here's the FDC:
The Indian player in the second stamp (after the one with the championship's logo) is definitely Mandeep Singh. Who is the goalie I can't say, though there is a certain resemblance with Vincent Vanasch from Belgium, a silver medallist in Rio in 2016. What makes me doubt it are blue shin guard - Vanasch mostly wears red one.

The next stamp shows an episode from a match between South Africa )player No.2 (?)) and India (No. 8) but I am unable to name the players, yet - none of the current squads, I believe.

Stamp four - an episode from a game between team of India and the Netherlands. The player in the background is definitely Chinglensana Singh Kangujam, No. 29), an Olympian who competed at 2016 Rio Summer Olympics. Who are the other two (No. 23 or 13 in the Indian team, and No. 6 in the Netherlands) I can't say.

And the last stamp presents Dharamvir Singh (No. 10) from India, playing against an unknown (yet) sportsman from Malaysia.

In connection with this issue, I have some additional questions :)

1. I can't definitely understand the information from the brochure (thanks to Bijoy for it :D ) - it says the print run for the stamps is 503,900 for each stamp and 130,000 mini sheets. Does it mean that the stamps were issued in regular sheets, too? I failed to find pictures of pairs or sheets (their parts) of these in this format. Or, was the mini sheet the only format used for the issue? Then, why different print runs?

2. Now, as I know that the mini sheet (and single stamps, if they exist in regular sheets) are within the scope of my Olympic collection, is there someone from India who would like to exchange for Belarusian stamps of your choice? :wink:

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”