Having trouble searching on Stampboards? Here is a solution

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Having trouble searching on Stampboards? Here is a solu

Post by Brummie »

You can already do that by clicking on their profile and then click on 'Search user’s posts'.

abhisri
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by abhisri »

Brummie wrote:You can already do that by clicking on their profile and then click on 'Search user’s posts'.
Thanks Brummie. Is it possible to a) Follow members b) See aggregated posts from them at once place since my last Login.

abhisri

Post by abhisri »

Continuing with my wish list of functionalities on Stampboards, is it possible to tag individual threads so that it is easy to search them using key words.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Tell you what, Fedex me $US50,000, and we will add in all these wacko and never used functions by anyone else, that you dream after, and have a phpBB software designer write code for them all.

When I do not receive that $50,000 (which of course will be the result of this) I'll realise you have resigned yourself to using the other 100s of useful functions that we DO have, and that everyone else here has appreciated for the past 8 years on this FREE board.

Deal?

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

abhisri wrote:Continuing with my wish list of functionalities on Stampboards, is it possible to tag individual threads so that it is easy to search them using key words.

Just Bookmark the threads you are mainly interested in. Then you can have your very own pages of posts to read and catch up on.

And if you have favourite "Authors" or members then in the search box (at the top) you can search for a members posts in date order and the most recent posts come up first. :D

Change the name and search again for another members posts.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

abhisri

Post by abhisri »

Glen and Allanswood-Thanks for the reply.

First of all let me make myself clear upfront that I like Stampboards and that is why I am here. It is free and that is a bonus. However if it were a paid services and well within my means, I would have subscribed to it.

Having said that, I understand that being a free forum will have its own limitations e.g. fund crunch and part time contributors. However, as any system grows in size, and Stampboards have grown phenomenally over last few years, the massive size brings with it its own limitations.

An example would be that if I need to browse all the threads spread over 61 pages to find my interest areas and the threads I like, it would probably take me days, if not weeks. Tomorrow there will be 100 pages and thereafter 150 pages..hope you got my drift.

Please have a look at recent discussion in "Banging the drums for uglies" pg 272 where even senior members are finding it difficult to keep track of Indian States threads.

At some tipping point, any system could do with a bit of automation and re-organization which makes searching, sorting and aggregation easier. I am not saying that these functionalities are currently not available...they are and anybody could go by with them...I was only proposing some improvements which will come handy as we grow even further.

Finally it is a call of administrator whether to have these or not but in my opinion, we members as users should be able to provide suggestions and preferences to make Stampboards more user friendly, without attracting caustic comments.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

abhisri wrote:
At some tipping point, any system could do with a bit of automation and re-organization which makes searching, sorting and aggregation easier. I am not saying that these functionalities are currently not available...they are and anybody could go by with them
Still waiting for the Western Union transfer so we can hire a techie to add on all your wacko suggestions - most of which are already here of course.

In the MEANTIME, do what the other 15,000 members happily do - use the TWO different powerful search features we have installed here at some expense (know any of other board on EARTH with TWO separate search engines - of course you do not) and you will find whatever you need. :idea:

Did you even READ post #1 of this thread ?????????????????????

Or, start your own stamp board by all means, and add all the Whizz Bang systems you want. You will able to search like a demon then. Sadly there will be no members, and no content, but wow you'll find whatever you need in a fraction of a second.

revenuecollector
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by revenuecollector »

abhisri wrote:we members as users should be able to provide suggestions and preferences to make Stampboards more user friendly, without attracting caustic comments.
Umm... you do remember which message board you're on, right? :lol:

GizzyGuy
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by GizzyGuy »

Any feedback you would like to make, positive or negative is most welcome - please post to this thread.

I just re-read post #1 as suggested!!!

abhisri

Post by abhisri »

revenuecollector wrote:
abhisri wrote:we members as users should be able to provide suggestions and preferences to make Stampboards more user friendly, without attracting caustic comments.
Umm... you do remember which message board you're on, right? :lol:
It doesn't matter where you are if your intentions are right and values are intact

abhisri

Post by abhisri »

Global Administrator wrote:
abhisri wrote:
At some tipping point, any system could do with a bit of automation and re-organization which makes searching, sorting and aggregation easier. I am not saying that these functionalities are currently not available...they are and anybody could go by with them
Still waiting for the Western Union transfer so we can hire a techie to add on all your wacko suggestions - most of which are already here of course.

In the MEANTIME, do what the other 15,000 members happily do - use the TWO different powerful search features we have installed here at some expense (know any of other board on EARTH with TWO separate search engines - of course you do not) and you will find whatever you need. :idea:

Did you even READ post #1 of this thread ?????????????????????

Or, start your own stamp board by all means, and add all the Whizz Bang systems you want. You will able to search like a demon then. Sadly there will be no members, and no content, but wow you'll find whatever you need in a fraction of a second.
I get the message. Rather than wasting mine and others time with improvement suggestions, I would better concentrate on discussion of stamps.

dave222

Post by dave222 »

Global Administrator wrote:Tell you what, Fedex me $US50,000, and we will add in all these wacko and never used functions by anyone else, that you dream after, and have a phpBB software designer write code for them all.
If you think it would cost $US50,000 to implement a couple of simple features that have been suggested, I reckon you must use the same web coders as Stanley Gibbons!

I can put you (and Gibbons, for that matter) in touch with several companies who would gladly do it for half, though I suspect the real value of the job to be considerably less than 10% of the figure you suggested :)
Great Britain 1840 - 2000 & British Commonwealth GVI - QEII - Click to view my collection here >>> My Collection Online

norvic

Post by norvic »

dave222 wrote:I can put you (and Gibbons, for that matter) in touch with several companies who would gladly do it for half, though I suspect the real value of the job to be considerably less than 10% of the figure you suggested :)
So are you going to pass the hat round for contributions? Or are you going to suggest that 5,000 of us each send $1 to Glen's PayPal account as a gift. We have this for free: if it isn't good enough (and yes, there are bits of it that could be better) everybody should put up or shut up!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ian, we will always have newbies who assume we have 400 tech staff like Amazon or Ebay or United Airlines laying about doing nothing, and can come up with all kinds of wacko dreamy wants, that are already here anyway in most cases.

The chances of those folks contributing even ONE dollar to help in the running of the board is absolutely zero - I realise this from 8 years of experience!

As I outlined here only today -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66413

We have no pop ups ads and videos and audio ads here, assailing members as I do not like them, and that decision costs me 5 figures a year.

But no, we absolutely "need" to hire tech staff so as make things 5 seconds easier for Gen X, who are too busy to take 10 more seconds to do things they what it is possible to even today on a FREE board.

Some things never change. :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

abhisri

Post by abhisri »

The chances of those folks contributing even ONE dollar to help in the running of the board is absolutely zero - I realise this from 8 years of experience!

Glen
I have already mentioned in post above that I would subscribe to Stampboards if it were paid service
Global Administrator wrote: But no, we absolutely "need" to hire tech staff so as make things 5 seconds easier for Gen X, who are too busy to take 10 more seconds to do things they what it is possible to even today on a FREE board.
I am talking here of making things easier in terms of hours not seconds. But if somebody comes with pre-conceived notion then it couldn't be helped.

Glen
It is the GenX who are driving the changes around the world, but older generation never takes them seriously because they think they are the wisest ones. :(

dave222

Post by dave222 »

norvic wrote:
dave222 wrote:I can put you (and Gibbons, for that matter) in touch with several companies who would gladly do it for half, though I suspect the real value of the job to be considerably less than 10% of the figure you suggested :)
So are you going to pass the hat round for contributions? Or are you going to suggest that 5,000 of us each send $1 to Glen's PayPal account as a gift. We have this for free: if it isn't good enough (and yes, there are bits of it that could be better) everybody should put up or shut up!
All I'm suggesting is that Glen has been massively over quoted on a simple job - (I presume he didn't just pluck the $US50,000 figure out of the ether?) and that it may be considerably more affordable, where he to shop around a bit.

I know that this forum is free, but so is Twitter, and Facebook, and Tumblr, and LinkedIn, and Snapchat, and Whatsapp (well subscription at 69p per annum) , and Wikipedia (donations welcome!), and Flickr, and Hotmail, and Google+, and the list goes on - some have a paid upgrade available, some have adverts. What's the big deal about having no adverts anyway?

I get the feeling that the users of the forum can and do want to help in improving the experience in a constructive and positive way. It cannot go forward by standing still.

So, you may ask what it is that I am suggesting. I am new to this board (joined earlier this year) Well, for what it's worth I suggest listening to the people who use the board day-in, day-out - sure, some ideas will be ridiculous and prohibitively expensive and some would be fantastic and affordable and we'd all wonder how we ever coped before!

All of the websites etc I mentioned above are constantly evolving to reflect the changing needs of the users and as good as Stampboards is, it is not immune for the fickle nature of us, the users.

I hope this comment is taken in the tone it is meant - it is not meant as criticism for criticism's sake, it is meant in a constructive and positive way.

Glen and the other admins must put untold hours into looking after the ins-and-outs of the daily maintenance of the site and if it continues growing and growing, it will become unmanageable in it's current form and I for one would hate to lose it :)
Great Britain 1840 - 2000 & British Commonwealth GVI - QEII - Click to view my collection here >>> My Collection Online

texnatl
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by texnatl »

It would be really great if we could sort the entries by date.

ligneN
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by ligneN »

texnatl wrote:It would be really great if we could sort the entries by date.
Its in the normal search, but not with google.

pythonatm

Post by pythonatm »

abhisri wrote:

Glen
I have already mentioned in post above that I would subscribe to Stampboards if it were paid service
Global Administrator wrote: But no, we absolutely "need" to hire tech staff so as make things 5 seconds easier for Gen X, who are too busy to take 10 more seconds to do things they what it is possible to even today on a FREE board.
I am talking here of making things easier in terms of hours not seconds. But if somebody comes with pre-conceived notion then it couldn't be helped.

Glen
It is the GenX who are driving the changes around the world, but older generation never takes them seriously because they think they are the wisest ones. :(
As a newcomer to this 'board', I am taking the time to find my way around the various topics / threads and getting used to the way it is organised. So far, the input I would have to this particular debate (if that is what this is?) is that: a) I am of the 'older generation' but I have learned to appreciate the ideas and passion of the GenX folk - It is the only way we progress. b) Maybe the person who suggested the improvements could look to writing up the necessary code for consideration? c) I too am finding navigation of the site somewhat 'clunky' but am sure I'll get used to it and adapt to the way it works. d) Please do not give negative criticism for this response - It is only my opinion - helpful comments are simply that - helpful, whilst knee-jerk rants do no good whatsoever.

NB. Not long to next summer!

:)

henrystamp

Post by henrystamp »

information is useful for us. thanks

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

I would be interested in contacting any SB members from Tonga.
Can I search for this if I do not know their 'handles' - without just hard slogging through all the members?

norvic

Post by norvic »

ligneN wrote:
texnatl wrote:It would be really great if we could sort the entries by date.
Its in the normal search, but not with google.
After Google has presented its results you can arrange by 'Relevance' (the default) or 'Date'.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

dave222 in 2015 wrote: Glen and the other admins must put untold hours into looking after the ins-and-outs of the daily maintenance of the site, and if it continues growing and growing, it will become unmanageable in it's current form and I for one would hate to lose it :)
Well over 4 years on, over 6 million posts and over 20,000 members, we seem to have managed just fine, without re-inventing the wheel here. :idea:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”