Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw stamp is this re-perforated?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw stamp is this re-perforated?

Post by Rog »

Does this look reperforated at the bottom to anyone else or am I imaging it please ?
Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw stamp - is this re-perforated?
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book
emason
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw Reperf ?

Post by emason »

Rog wrote:Does this look reperforated at the bottom to anyone else or am I imaging it please ?
I don't know about the bottom, but the left side has certainly had its wing margin cut off and been reperforated.

All the perfs look as if they have been 'enhanced'.
Last edited by emason on 15 Mar 2018 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Bill
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

emason wrote:I don't know about the bottom, but the left side has had its wing margin cut off and reperforated.
I suspect that whoever did that, erm, "tidied up" the rest of the perfs at the same time. :idea:
Rog

Post by Rog »

emason wrote:I don't know about the bottom, but the left side has had its wing margin cut off and reperforated.
I also thought that about the possibility of the left side having been a wing margin.

In Photoshop I overlaid this one with one I knew to be okay. It comes in short at the bottom or top - which led me to question it in other areas too.
gavin-h wrote:I suspect that whoever did that, erm, "tidied up" the rest of the perfs at the same time. :idea:
Yes they don't look right to me, a lot of them look elongated rather than round. And they have all been cut flat too.

Thanks chaps :)
emason

Post by emason »

gavin-h wrote:I suspect that whoever did that, erm, "tidied up" the rest of the perfs at the same time. :idea:
I think you are right - they all look suspect.
(Your post crossed with my editing :) )
Best wishes,
Bill
W5LDY
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by W5LDY »

Any examples of this stamp with letters D, E, H or I in the lower right corner should have wing margins, thus any normal sized examples must be reperfed, very common knowledge in the trade.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

W5LDY wrote:Any examples of this stamp with letters D, E, H or I in the lower right corner should have wing margins, thus any normal sized examples must be reperfed, very common knowledge in the trade.
To illustrate this quote ........ A typical example of a wing margin from column E.

From this reference shot, it would appear that your re-perfer thought "in for a penny, in for a pound".

It seems quite a crude enhancement on all sides, to me.
Rog

Post by Rog »

Thanks W5LDY - I'll try to remember that one :)

ViccyVFU, yes that shows that given the position of the top of the design, there should be more paper at the bottom of the one I showed. This confirms what I saw in Photoshop.
From this reference shot, it would appear that your re-perfer thought "in for a penny, in for a pound".

It seems quite a crude enhancement on all sides, to me.
Yes indeed.

No worries, it was something I saw in auction, not something I have bought.

Thanks all :)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Rog wrote:Does this look reperforated at the bottom to anyone else or am I imaging it please ?
An obvious very crude re-perf on all 4 sides. A blind nun can spot that at 100 paces. Well maybe not! The base was the least obvious side.

A comb perf GB QV stamp CANNOT have a thin pointy perf top right as this one does. Period.

Yes clearly was a wing margin originally but some moron decided reperfing 1 side was not enough, so lets to all 4.

What auction was it in - has it been reported?
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rog

Re: Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw - is this re-perforated?

Post by Rog »

Thanks Glen.
The base was the least obvious side.
Well I'm not a blind nun, but I did spot that side first :lol: Easy when you know how :wink:
A comb perf GB QV stamp CANNOT have a thin pointy perf top right as this one does. Period.
Yes when I was looking at it I was trying to remember that - you had mentioned it in another post one time, but it was a while back.
What auction was it in - has it been reported?
It was on ebay and by the time I'd gone back there it had finished. I've contacted the seller though to make them aware. I don't think they set out to deceive.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rog wrote:I don't think they set out to deceive.
Well unless they mentioned it was re-perforated all 4 sides, they clearly did. You indicate none of that was mentioned. Given how absolutely clueless most ebay bidders are it was aimed to deceive pure and simple.

"Mutilated spacefiller" and offered thus is one thing but "Mint SG 110" is not on.

Do you have the ebay lot number?
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rog

Post by Rog »

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

9d straw plate 4.

Mint hinged.

Full gum.

Has a light horizontal bend at the top.

Looks nicer than it does in the picture.

Only on ebay. Nary a mention of re-perfing on 1 side, much less all FOUR sides. Nothing can have 'full gum' and be hinged, EXCEPT on Bunny Bay. :roll: :roll:

"Looks nicer than it does in the picture." - Only on ebay.

stamps-u-like now has £92 from some clueless Bunny in the bank, and I BET the Bunny leaves glowing feedback as well. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw stamp is this re-perfora

Post by Rod Perry »

Great Britain QV SG110 9d Straw stamp - is this re-perforated?
Not only is it reperforated four sides, there is evidence of added paper fabric at base.

Further, I believe there is a more than reasonable chance the stamp has been cleaned, and therefore regummed (contradictory description by seller: "Mint hinged. Full gum." - noted above by Glen).

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rod, yes it certainly is a dog. And of course seller stamps-u-like chose not to add a reverse scan so we can only wonder. :roll: :roll:

My thought was it had an added corner top left or a repaired tear there, but given this friendly assurance, I felt certain that could NEVER be the case from a ebay Power Seller - 8)
Bunny Bait Seller Assurance wrote:
"Looks nicer than it does in the picture."
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

So knowing what we know, following the maxim that "Knowledge is Power", how would people value this item?

We know its a trimmed down wing margin, done badly on four sides. We suspect its regummed, and definitely has disturbed gum regardless. It may have been repaired top left, and maybe have fibres added along the bottom.

For a knowledgeable seller to have listed it without making mention of some of the more obvious faults, or at the very least showing a quality scan of the back (re-perfs are usually much clearer to ascertain from the back), we seem to have a clear example of sharp practice.

Looking at the vendors 100% feedback record, and the other lots they list currently, its clear this person does know a lot more about quality of stamps "than sometimes makes the listing".

So how to value?

The list price for sg110 plate 4 Average Mint at a dealer in the UK today is £365.

Take off 20% for customary discount for known customer you get £300.

Halve it for being a grade lower (Defective mint, certainly not Average mint) you get £150.

Halve it again for being a trimmed wing margin ( you could almost make a case for cut to shape) and you get £75.

So where did the bids go? It looks like the dealers capped out at £48. Knew their price, and stuck to it.

The considered bidder capped out at £85, but two last minute Hares (bunnies that run fast) took it to £92, plus £7 carriage.

Is this a bad deal?

Well, I wouldn't touch it (mainly because its not my target area), but there's a bit of me that can see the attractiveness of a visually pleasing front "at the right price", if that's what you need to build your page.

The vendor started at 99p and let fate take it forward. (I think we've all wished for bunnies to intervene last moment on some of the lots we've listed).

My gut feel would be that at £50, if you had a need for it, would "about be on the money".

That they might be down their local club, bragging about "the bargain they grabbed at quarter of dealers price" is certainly an occasion where we could "burst their bubble" with the knowledge we have to hand. But few people ever say anything, preferring the quiet life rather than stealing others bragging rights.

When the bunny does eventually sell it, which may not be for a few years (or maybe even estate clearance - by which time everyone will have forgotten acquisition cost anyway) they could well find that todays "tax on ignorance", plus disposal sales costs, make this quite a poor long term hold in terms of investment.

Lets hope they find some joy in holding it.

Other peoples thought on pricing?
Rog

Post by Rog »

Perhaps I am too trusting, but I can't fault the logic expressed above - an experienced dealer should have spotted that if an amateur like me was suspicious.
So knowing what we know, following the maxim that "Knowledge is Power", how would people value this item?
I like an honest stamp, so with all that has been gleaned here I put it in the space-filler category. I'm not into space-fillers though, so I wouldn't buy it or bid on it.

Playing with the figures I suppose 1-2% of CV on a good day, if someone is desperate to fill a gap on a high end stamp that doesn't seem too far-fetched.

So £25 - £50 and maybe a bit more.

Really terrible Penny Blacks make around 5-10% of CV on eBay every weekend...
Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rod Perry »

In the 1970s, a London major philatelic dealership supplied surface-printed "mint" to Australian auction houses (mine included) . . . big time.

We "Colonialists" were then sufficiently ignorant not to realize the stamps supplied were cleaned and regummed.

The type of stamps I'm referring to were as "good" looking as this subject.

With what I know today, I would not pay 1p for this stamp.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”