Is this a rare USA 1920/30s 1c Green Franklin stamp?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Just Mike
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Mar 2017 08:22
Location: Houghton Lake, MI, USA

Re: What catalogue number is my USA 1c green Franklin stamp?

Post by Just Mike »

I want to thank the admin for being patient with me and to the information everyone has given me in this world of stamps. When I came across a box in my house that was lost in time for over 75 years, I saw the lives of someone after I viewed the photos, postcards, and letters told a story. Your help in this was not to get rich ( although this would be nice) but to see how to decipher the difference in stamps. I will use your help to get information on my red 2 cent Washington's next.

Thanks

Frozenking
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Jun 2017 13:59
Location: Ukraine

Re: 1924 United States 1 Cent Green Franklin Stamp - Scott #

Post by Frozenking »

Image
Image
Please ,help me with this stamp?
Its 11x11 , 19 1/4 x 22 1/2.
I think its Scott 596.

User avatar
stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 5463
Joined: 01 Sep 2010 00:46
Location: Newport, MN USA

Re: 1924 United States 1 Cent Green Franklin Stamp - Scott #

Post by stallzer »

Moderator comment!

Frozen king, there is no need to post you question in multiple threads. You started 1 thread on your stamp and that is enough. We don't need members wasting time reading duplicate threads. If you don't like the answer you are getting here spend the money and send it to the Philatelic foundation for a certificate. It is not a 596.


http://www.philatelicfoundation.org/expertizing-process/certificate-application/
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: 1924 United States 1 Cent Green Franklin Stamp - Scott #

Post by billw2 »

Frozenking wrote:Image
Image
Please ,help me with this stamp?
Its 11x11 , 19 1/4 x 22 1/2.
I think its Scott 596.
It's not.

It's flat plate printing and therefore NOT a 596 (Note the offset ink on the reverse).

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: What catalogue number is my USA 1c green Franklin stamp?

Post by Global Administrator »

Here we go again ......... :lol:
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: is this scott 594?

Post by billw2 »

Todd4917 wrote:Image

Im still quite new at this. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
Nope. Not a 594 or a 596.

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: What catalogue number is my USA 1c green Franklin stamp?

Post by billw2 »

Global Administrator wrote:Here we go again ......... :lol:
This is nothing. This comes up weekly on one of the US boards.

That or they think they found a Z grill, or a 3c Pigeon Blood Pink or a 24c Blackish Violet, etc etc.

User avatar
titoman7721
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 20 Dec 2014 05:22
Location: Egypt

Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by titoman7721 »

Image

Image

Is this price true in the second picture?
Do you buy this situation?

User avatar
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
Posts: 3770
Joined: 26 Dec 2015 13:52
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by satsuma »

Does this answer your question, sufficiently?

Image

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by Global Administrator »

:)

User avatar
kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 19674
Joined: 18 Oct 2014 03:17
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by kuikka »

If I remember correctly, there are some rate variants of common stamps also in this set. So the price in the second picture *may be* correct. Does that make the stamp in the first picture be valuable? Highly unlikely. The price in a second picture was for a pair of unused (and likely undamaged) stamps of a rare variant. The stamp in the first picture is used, damaged single of most likely a fairly common variant. The stamp in the first picture is likely worthless and if damaged, as the picture shows, in the best case worth of only fraction of the catalogue price.

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by billw2 »

There are some rare and valuable variants of the Washington-Franklin series but this stamp is not one of them. There are a few variations of the 1c Franklin (Scott design A138) but none of them are especially valuable, IIRC the imperf are worth a few dollars in nice shape, but when I say a few i mean like $5. Short of a stupendously high grade certified one, these have no real value when used.

User avatar
KingPenguin
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Posts: 82
Joined: 10 Feb 2017 04:49
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by KingPenguin »

titoman7721 wrote:
Image

Is this price true in the second picture?
Do you buy this situation?
Alternative Investment Coach states "... part of the attraction to collectors is the fact that only a portion of the U.S Postal Service watermark appeared on the stamp ..." Attraction? Ha! I would avoid any advice given by this "investment" firm.

And just for accuracy, the name "U.S. Postal Service" only began in 1971. Prior to that, when the W-F stamps were issued, it was the "U.S. Post Office Department."

User avatar
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
Posts: 3436
Joined: 14 Feb 2011 10:30
Location: Livingston, Scotland

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by Machaggis52 »

satsuma wrote:Does this answer your question, sufficiently?

Image
Cruel. :D
With kind regards, Jim

User avatar
Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 16468
Joined: 02 Dec 2009 11:59
Location: Goulburn NSW Australia

Re: Benjamin Franklin USA 1908 1c stamp - is it rare?

Post by Allanswood »

The "Alternative Investment Coach" is commenting on stamps from a position of no idea at all, off the cuff half researched and misleading.

http://alternativeinvestmentcoach.com/valuable-us-stamps/

#10 the Inverted Jenny shows an image of...yes...the modern deliberately printed $2 inverted Jenny's. That will thoroughly confuse anyone who see's it in the mail and thinks they've scored windfall.

Quote: "With a face value of 24 cents and some as 2 dollars, these stamps are famous because the biplane featured in the picture was printed upside down by mistake. "


As for #4 The Franklin, not identifying why its worth the big bucks only confuses those who have one of the billions of the 'same' stamp that is worth cents.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin stamp?

Post by Searchstamps »

Hi All, very new to Stamp collecting but I am also very detailed.... Is this the rare 596? This was found on a Post Card from an old family History and was mailed from the USS Roosevelt at sea in 1935.. I blotched out the name, but the Inscription was stated "Somewhere at Sea"...

I found several of these but carefully placed them under a scope counted the perforations, this one showed 13 on the sides and 11 at the top.. and the measurement of the design, if I did it right was 19.25 x 22.5 MM respectively and accurately with a high guage caliper...

I will show a couple of pics of that measurement... The others only has 12 perfs within the design, this one was darker in color green... Is this the rare 596 ? Or do I move on ? I will try to get back to any replies and will post 2 more pics if I may... Thank you :)

Image
Last edited by Global Administrator on 22 Apr 2018 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and "air" to UNJAM it all - always a great idea on all posts on Bulletin Boards!

User avatar
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Posts: 33363
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 02:10
Location: West Coast of England

Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin stamp?

Post by gavin-h »

MODERATOR COMMENT:

PLEASE think about your headings - "Franklin # 596" means nothing to the majority of our readers.

As a MINIMUM please include country name and description of stamp: "Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin stamp?"

I've amended your initial post accordingly, hopefully someone will be able to help you now. :idea:

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Thank you Gavin-H, I appreciate the help ! :)

User avatar
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 4021
Joined: 23 Feb 2018 23:49
Location: Harrogate, UK

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by ViccyVFU »

First tip would be to buy yourself a perforation gauge. They are usually only a few dollars.

When looking for US varities, you have to be very accurate on perf gauges, and using calipers correctly. I can see you have got numbers that approximate to Scott 596 size, but there are other factors which bode against it being that super rare stamp.

1) Used in 1935 - that's late use for a stamp from 10 years earlier, where the catalog notes :

1923-26. Perf 11. No 596 measures approximately 19.25 x 22.5mm. A majority of the copies carry the Bureau precancel "Kansas City, Mo", and as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz famously said..... "we ain't in Kansas"

2) Your caliper shots, in my photo, are not conclusively aligned with the edges, as I see them. I'm not doubting your ability to use the calipers correctly, but the catalogue notes other similar stamps only 1/4mm difference in size, and that's not much tolerance when they also use the word "approximate".

2) The killer would be that the horizontal and vertical perfs are not the same gauge.

Usually, we could not be exact on a monitor, but I printed off the photo, cut it diagonally (as you do), and checked if they were the same calibre top and sides, which they are not.

Couldn't tell you what they are, from a scan. I could guess, but that's not really the advice you are after.

So my conclusion would be this is a more common variety. However, its not my area of expertise, and if you have further analysis that makes you feel you may be on to a winner, get it expertised.

"A few bucks" (possibly wasted) against "the find of a major rarity", and either way, its a tale to tell!

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

ViccyVFU wrote:First tip would be to buy yourself a perforation gauge. They are usually only a few dollars.

When looking for US varities, you have to be very accurate on perf gauges, and using calipers correctly. I can see you have got numbers that approximate to Scott 596 size, but there are other factors which bode against it being that super rare stamp.

1) Used in 1935 - that's late use for a stamp from 10 years earlier, where the catalog notes :

1923-26. Perf 11. No 596 measures approximately 19.25 x 22.5mm. A majority of the copies carry the Bureau precancel "Kansas City, Mo", and as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz famously said..... "we ain't in Kansas"

2) Your caliper shots, in my photo, are not conclusively aligned with the edges, as I see them. I'm not doubting your ability to use the calipers correctly, but the catalogue notes other similar stamps only 1/4mm difference in size, and that's not much tolerance when they also use the word "approximate".

2) The killer would be that the horizontal and vertical perfs are not the same gauge.

Usually, we could not be exact on a monitor, but I printed off the photo, cut it diagonally (as you do), and checked if they were the same calibre top and sides, which they are not.

Couldn't tell you what they are, from a scan. I could guess, but that's not really the advice you are after.

So my conclusion would be this is a more common variety. However, its not my area of expertise, and if you have further analysis that makes you feel you may be on to a winner, get it expertised.

"A few bucks" (possibly wasted) against "the find of a major rarity", and either way, its a tale to tell!

Hope this helps.
Thank you and where would a good place one can trust be to get it "expertised ?

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Glad you brought up the date btw... 23-26... I need to recheck my envelopes as I have a few of these...

User avatar
phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
Posts: 4679
Joined: 31 Mar 2008 08:31
Location: England

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by phrag99 »

Some of the experts in this field are still in bed.

I suggest you wait until they have reported their views.

You will then learn if expertizing is appropriate.

You are a beginner by your own admission - over the years we have seen many new collectors who think they have a really valuable stamp in their collection. They rarely do. But it always pays to be sure!

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

phrag99 wrote:Some of the experts in this field are still in bed.

I suggest you wait until they have reported their views.

You will then learn if expertizing is appropriate.

You are a beginner by your own admission - over the years we have seen many new collectors who think they have a really valuable stamp in their collection. They rarely do. But it always pays to be sure!

True enough.... I will wait for their responses and then I will have a couple of more photos to show them what I discovered under the scope with the other stamps compared to this one it will get interesting to see what their opinions are.. :)

User avatar
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 4021
Joined: 23 Feb 2018 23:49
Location: Harrogate, UK

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by ViccyVFU »

Searchstamps wrote:Thank you and where would a good place one can trust be to get it "expertised ?
American issues are not really my field, but we have lots of US members who would be able to suggest what they do to get a professional certificate.

PSE appear to claim to be the biggest, but even they have only ever seen three Scott #596 to date.... (might be an old listing)

http://psestamp.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=19156

Be aware that if it did turn out to be genuine, their fee would usually be a fixed percentage of current Scott value, which can be a big slice out of your holding costs "until you come to sell it".

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

ViccyVFU wrote:
Searchstamps wrote:Thank you and where would a good place one can trust be to get it "expertised ?
American issues are not really my field, but we have lots of US members who would be able to suggest what they do to get a professional certificate.

PSE appear to claim to be the biggest, but even they have only ever seen three Scott #596 to date.... (might be an old listing)

http://psestamp.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=19156

Be aware that if it did turn out to be genuine, their fee would usually be a fixed percentage of current Scott value, which can be a big slice out of your holding costs "until you come to sell it".

Yes, boy they get you every time dont they ? :| Thank you for the Link BTW !

User avatar
stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 5463
Joined: 01 Sep 2010 00:46
Location: Newport, MN USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by stallzer »

I can tell you it’s not the scarce Scott 596. Based on the date most probably a Scott 632. You will need to get a perforation gauge to identify the perf count. Also measuring the design is not an accurate method due to paper shrinkage.

Most of the experts wish Scott catalog would have never provided the design sizes. Save your money on getting it expertised.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by billw2 »

It is not a 596 or a 594.

596s (And 594s, which are also rare and valuable) range from very rare (594) to extremely rare (596) and the base 1c 4th bureau stamp is extremely common, literally billions were printed.

15 596s exist, 10 of which have "Kansas City, Mo" precancels.

None of them were used any time near 1935 either, they were used much earlier. Measuring them is not the best way to tell, you need to determine that it's a rotary printed stamp with specific perforations. This isn't it.

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by billw2 »

Here's some good info on the history of these stamps from an excerpt of a Siegel auction catalog:

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php?year=2009&sale_no=968B&page_no=25

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

billw2 wrote:It is not a 596 or a 594.

596s (And 594s, which are also rare and valuable) range from very rare (594) to extremely rare (596) and the base 1c 4th bureau stamp is extremely common, literally billions were printed.

15 596s exist, 10 of which have "Kansas City, Mo" precancels.

None of them were used any time near 1935 either, they were used much earlier. Measuring them is not the best way to tell, you need to determine that it's a rotary printed stamp with specific perforations. This isn't it.
Thank you Billw, I appreciate the expertise... I said I had 6 of these and there is another one I wish to show you, It will take me a few minutes to process it but I would like your opinion on it, and what I see on it..

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Billw2, Here is another opne of the 6 that caught my eye.. for one it is off center, perhaps that means nothing? It is a bit more delapidated, but if you look at the Perfs on the left side they apear much more narrower...I do not have a guage here, but I would certainly like your opinion ? This was dated earlier on the letter from 1933 and sent from NY... a bit far from Kansas, yes... but still a good look, one never knows :arrow: I wont get a measurement unless you want one perhaps this is all you need to look at.

Image

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Global Administrator »

billw2 wrote:... the base 1c 4th bureau stamp is extremely common, literally billions were printed.

None of them were used any time near 1935 either, they were used much earlier.
Searchstamps did you read ANY of the above expert advice?

Isn't 1933 a big enough clue for you?
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 5463
Joined: 01 Sep 2010 00:46
Location: Newport, MN USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by stallzer »

As Bill mentioned you need to understand how many of these were printed. The issue is called the 4th bureau issue and the 1 cent was post card rate.

Think of the 1920’s to 1930’s and how many postcards were mailed. I have literally hundreds of postcards with the Franklin stamps. I have gone through them and zero ended up being anything other than common.q

Here is a good article written by a man who has forgotten more about US stamps than I will ever know.


https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2015/jan ... r-596.html
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Global Administrator wrote:
billw2 wrote:... the base 1c 4th bureau stamp is extremely common, literally billions were printed.

None of them were used any time near 1935 either, they were used much earlier.
Searchstamps did you read ANY of the above expert advice?

Isn't 1933 a big enough clue for you?

Certainly I did read it , but does that mean something cannot be placed in a drawer and mailed much later? It was simply a question about a specific stamp with different perforations.

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Global Administrator »

I know the USA is fixated on Pawn Stars and Storage Wars and other similar get rich quick programs, but you have a higher mathematical chance of finding a 20 ounce pure gold nugget laying on your driveway, than finding one of these rare 1c Franklins among some old covers.

Buying a lotto ticket is a sure bet compared to that!

You could also go to your library and borrow a STAMP CATALOGUE if all the advice and articles above are dismissed as nonsense. :idea:
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Global Administrator wrote:I know the USA is fixated on Pawn Stars and Storage Wars and other similar get rich quick programs, but you have a higher mathematical chance of finding a 20 ounce pure gold nugget laying on your driveway, than finding one of these rare 1c Franklins among some old covers.

Buying a lotto ticket is a sure bet compared to that!

You could also go to your library and borrow a STAMP CATALOGUE if all the advice and articles above are dismissed as nonsense. :idea:

LOLOL---What are you a Kangaroo Sheriff? :lol:

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by billw2 »

stallzer wrote:As Bill mentioned you need to understand how many of these were printed. The issue is called the 4th bureau issue and the 1 cent was post card rate.

Think of the 1920’s to 1930’s and how many postcards were mailed. I have literally hundreds of postcards with the Franklin stamps. I have gone through them and zero ended up being anything other than common.q

Here is a good article written by a man who has forgotten more about US stamps than I will ever know.


https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2015/jan ... r-596.html
Excellent article. Ken really knows his stuff on early 20th century issues.

Searchstamps, read that. All of it.

User avatar
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2192
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 08:51
Location: Alpine, New Jersey, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by billw2 »

Searchstamps wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:
billw2 wrote:... the base 1c 4th bureau stamp is extremely common, literally billions were printed.

None of them were used any time near 1935 either, they were used much earlier.
Searchstamps did you read ANY of the above expert advice?

Isn't 1933 a big enough clue for you?

Certainly I did read it , but does that mean something cannot be placed in a drawer and mailed much later? It was simply a question about a specific stamp with different perforations.
It's estimated that something like 5 billion 1c greens were printed. About 50,000 of those were 594s and about 5,000 were estimated to be 596s.

Now what are the chances of a, literally, one in a million stamp sitting unused in a drawer for 13 years? To say nothing of the perfs and shade being off...

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Global Administrator »

You know that Bill, and I know that, we all know that .. but that 20 ounce Solid Gold nugget is sitting there just GLISTENING on that one driveway in Ohio. :mrgreen:
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 4021
Joined: 23 Feb 2018 23:49
Location: Harrogate, UK

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by ViccyVFU »

Once again, its quite impressive to see the depths of knowledge assets we have available, to put towards individual queries.

Once thing I didn't know about was the American Philatelic Society's quick ID service (mentioned by the first commenter within the Linns article)

http://stamps.org/Stamp-Identification)

Obvious, maybe, to all US collectors, but an interesting reference point for me to store away until I need it, so thanks for that.

That was very much the service I was thinking of in my first response (although given the strength of subsequent contributors to this specific question, that would be $10 wasted in this case!!).

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

Global Administrator wrote:You know that Bill, and I know that, we all know that .. but that 20 ounce Solid Gold nugget is sitting there just GLISTENING on that one driveway in Ohio. :mrgreen:

Why you jealous Kangaroo you... LOL---Begone before a house falls on you ! :lol:

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

ViccyVFU wrote:Once again, its quite impressive to see the depths of knowledge assets we have available, to put towards individual queries.

Once thing I didn't know about was the American Philatelic Society's quick ID service (mentioned by the first commenter within the Linns article)

http://stamps.org/Stamp-Identification)

Obvious, maybe, to all US collectors, but an interesting reference point for me to store away until I need it, so thanks for that.

That was very much the service I was thinking of in my first response (although given the strength of subsequent contributors to this specific question, that would be $10 wasted in this case!!).

Thank you ViccyVFU for your kindness and help... Billw2 as well....... :wink:

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

OK, let me answer the question about the chance of a stamp sitting around in a drawer for 13 years... What are the chances? HIGH... I will give you a clean example. I collect coins... and just recently came across a full roll of Wheat Pennies that I picked up last week at a bank, a FULL roll going back to 1937... Yep... they probably came out of someone old drawer , probably grandpas who died and someone took them in to the bank WITHOUT looking at them. Yep a full roll in a faded red paper... Imagine THAT. :shock:

User avatar
kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 19674
Joined: 18 Oct 2014 03:17
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by kuikka »

Poor comparison. Coins survive much worse treatment than stamps. Also, the coins are easily exchangeable to goods or services while stamps serve only one purpose. So, people tend to keep coins floating around but not as much stamps. Yes, it is possible, but actually more likely now than then because now people write much fewer letters.

User avatar
stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 5463
Joined: 01 Sep 2010 00:46
Location: Newport, MN USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by stallzer »

Searchstamps wrote:
Why you jealous Kangaroo you... LOL---Begone before a house falls on you ! :lol:
Moderator comment.

Please be a polite guest. The person you left that comment for just so happens to own and fund this board. Your outcome is in his hands.

Mod hat off.

Back to your treasure hunt. We all love to scrutinize every aspect of stamps for any variation that might turn a common stamp into something valuable but the stamp you are hoping for is exactly what it is, rare.

The thrill is the hunt but the logical approach is understanding that 99% of stamps are readily available for cheap. Stamps over 100 years old sell for under a dollar.

Assume yours is the cheapest until proven otherwise. The Scott 596 odds are higher than one in a million.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

User avatar
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 4021
Joined: 23 Feb 2018 23:49
Location: Harrogate, UK

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by ViccyVFU »

Searchstamps wrote:OK, let me answer the question about the chance of a stamp sitting around in a drawer for 13 years... What are the chances? HIGH...
I'm not sure its worth pursuing this line of debate. I regularly use stamps over 40 years old (early GB decimals) as "make up values" on packets I send out, but in the scheme of things, compared with how many letters get sent each day, the chances are never going to be HIGH.

I think the point being missed is that the chances of late usage are quite rare, the chance of your suspected rarity is "less than one in 100 million" (or thereabouts), so the chance of them both occurring is very small indeed.

Although, that said, once or twice a YEAR someone does uncover something, amongst 200 million collectors, and a billion person hours "spent looking".

What killed the dream here is not that "remote chance", its the evidence presented, when compared with the knowledge we had available.

Its not perf 11 (from the simple diagonal test - even if you don't have a perf guide). Others brought more pertinent factors in to play, way beyond my expertise, to confirm my early suspicions.

That doesn't mean copies 16 - 20 (-200) are not still out there to be found. The search, and the knowledge acquired along the route, should all be part of the fun of the chase, else "we should pack the horses, and accept prospecting is not for everyone".

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

kuikka wrote:Poor comparison. Coins survive much worse treatment than stamps. Also, the coins are easily exchangeable to goods or services while stamps serve only one purpose. So, people tend to keep coins floating around but not as much stamps. Yes, it is possible, but actually more likely now than then because now people write much fewer letters.

If you are from the USA, it is well known that the founding of the Nation existed and started in the NE... It is well known that most, if not all antiques are within this part of the country where I live... and yes, many times there are huge antique shows, those in the West such as California have very little antiques... its all here in the NorthEast . In the early part of the 19th century and leading into the 30's(depression era) people were known to keep whatever they had, as they had very little, my mother and Father used to tell me stories of those times, everything was kept. It would be of no surp[rise that anything could be kept for many many years before even being used..maybe lost and then found.. Even me now, I have stamps from 15 years ago 32 cent that I am saving for a specific reason, that I bought new. Why the surprise of someone keeping something for so long ?

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

stallzer wrote:
Searchstamps wrote:
Why you jealous Kangaroo you... LOL---Begone before a house falls on you ! :lol:
Moderator comment.

Please be a polite guest. The person you left that comment for just so happens to own and fund this board. Your outcome is in his hands.

Mod hat off.

Back to your treasure hunt. We all love to scrutinize every aspect of stamps for any variation that might turn a common stamp into something valuable but the stamp you are hoping for is exactly what it is, rare.

The thrill is the hunt but the logical approach is understanding that 99% of stamps are readily available for cheap. Stamps over 100 years old sell for under a dollar.

Assume yours is the cheapest until proven otherwise. The Scott 596 odds are higher than one in a million.

I am just returning his initial sarcasm my friend... If he can dish it out? He should be able to take it...

User avatar
kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 19674
Joined: 18 Oct 2014 03:17
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by kuikka »

At the time of Great Depression people kept things so that they could use them.

My assumption is that every adult person who afforded a house or room (basic requirement to be able to store a stamp years in decent condition) wrote at least 1 cars or letter a month, likely much more.

1c was the rate for a domestic post card or half of the rate for a domestic letter, if I remember correctly. Given that money was in short supply, it would be unthinkable for me that people would keep a common looking stamp for years and buy new same looking stamps instead of using it.

And doing the same over and over again. For those who would feel they could afford it, would not mind looking it.

User avatar
Searchstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 13:03
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by Searchstamps »

kuikka wrote:At the time of Great Depression people kept things so that they could use them. My assumption is that every adult person who afforded a house or room (basic requirement to be able to store a stamp years in decent condition) wrote at least 1 cars or letter a month, likely much more. 1c was the rate for a domestic post card or half of the rate for a domestic letter, if I remember correctly. Given that money was in short supply, it would be unthinkable for me that people would keep a common looking stamp for years and buy new same looking stamps instead of using it. And doing the same over and over again. For those who would feel they could afford it, would not mind looking it.
True enough, but then again what about one getting lost in the back of a drawer, cabinet or whatever? There are to many variables to say they could not lay around for sometime then surface years down the road. In a perfect world your scenario would be correct, but we are far from that perfect world. Who would even dream I would fin an old roll of untouched Wheat pennies at a bank , of all places, unrecognized ?

Matter of fact, I can tell you of a situation here in Ohio, where I walked into the woods and ventured over towards an old building that had a collapsed roof to discover and early 40's Dodge truck with the flathead pulled of it, tools laying around as though the person who started the project died soon afterwards... and there it was untouched. Yes, that is very true story, the women who lived in that house was very very old...and obviously knew of it.. but it was not spoken... :?

User avatar
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 4021
Joined: 23 Feb 2018 23:49
Location: Harrogate, UK

Re: Is this a rare variety of USA 1930s 1c Green Franklin st

Post by ViccyVFU »

Searchstamps wrote: Matter of fact, I can tell you of a situation here in Ohio, where I walked into the woods and ventured over towards an old building that had a collapsed roof to discover and early 40's Dodge truck with the flathead pulled of it, tools laying around as though the person who started the project died soon afterwards... and there it was untouched. Yes, that is very true story, the women who lived in that house was very very old...and obviously knew of it.. but it was not spoken... :?
Did you check the glove box for unused stamps?

We are a little bit off topic of "is this a rare variety stamp"?
(To which the answer was no, not this time)

Post Reply

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Borisdog, Google [Bot] and 5 guests