Question re New Zealand 1935 Postage Due handstamp?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

philatel2
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Question re New Zealand 1935 Postage Due handstamp?

Post by philatel2 »

This New Zealand cover posted to South Africa in 1935 has an oval black handstamp on the right with a manuscript '40' superimposed.

I have seen this once before on a 1932 NZ airmail cover to Sudan.

Is this a postage due handstamp? I cannot find anything similar on either Google or Stampboards. Is anyone able to please help.

Thanks
Neil
Last edited by Global Administrator on 29 Jun 2018 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make more sense to members, and moved thread to the CORRECT Forum

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Question re New Zealand 1935 Postage Due handstamp?

Post by Global Administrator »

Do not recall seeing that before. Looks like it was assessed as underpaid and then someone masked that out?

7d was the air rate to here - maybe also to RSA in those days? So was paid correctly
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

I am pretty sure this cover was underpaid. This was supposed to be part of the return Kingsford Smith flight back to Australia. Flight one way was 7d.

There is the special Sydney receiving cancel of 20 May 1935 indicating is was considered part of the special 'Trans-Tasman flight' mail.

Airmail from New Zealand to South Africa in 1935 was 2s 9d. Surface rate was 1d.

I think that the 7d covered the 'flight' from New Zealand to Australia. However there should have been an additional 1d for travel by sea to South Africa. I assumed the tax to be double the deficiency i.e. 2d or 16 gold centimes (I cannot figure out how the number of 40 centimes is arrived at).

The 40 centimes is written over, not under, the black handstamp.

I am trying to understand what the black oval handstamp means. The design is rather unique.

Neil
Last edited by Global Administrator on 26 Jul 2021 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

NZ-SAfrica-obliterator.jpg

I have spent the past couple of years working on this issue and it looks as if the obliterator cancel (the black oblong cork cancel) may have been applied in Australia.

The airmail rate for the return 1935 Trans-Tasman flight to Australia was 7d. Onward air transmission to South Africa would have been an additional 2s 9d (33d). Converting the 40 centimes in 1935 exchange rates totals 32p Australia or New Zealand currency.

My current working assumption is that the postage due cachet with the 40 centimes rate was applied in New Zealand (I think the reason a double deficiency rate was not applied was because of the commemorative nature of the flight).

I think the obliterator cancel may have been applied in Australia and the item forwarded to South Africa by sea instead of by air. This would have covered the usual rate for surface mail (2d Empire surface rate plus 5d special air fee for flight).

Has anyone seen such an obliterator on Australian mail?

Neil
Last edited by Global Administrator on 26 Jul 2021 11:22, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason. And added the IMAGE INLINE as required

Temora22
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Temora22 »

Hi Neil,

I have a number of different barred oval obliterators used on Australian naval mail at either Fremantle or Sydney during WWII.

Mine have 8, 9 or 10 bars. I have not previously seen your 6 bar obliterator with the "A" or inverted "V". I wonder if it is a Cape Town marking?

Regards,

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Smitham »

The “A” is an NZ canceller, used in Auckland.

It appears that a postal deficiency was possibly detected, hence the initial application of the Taxe mark. The cover ended up being checked and it appears that the cover was not underpaid - hence the obliteration was used to nullify the indicated underpayment.

Incidentally, this appears to be a very late usage of this particular obliterator.

David
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

That is incredibly helpful. Many thanks.
The Auckland obliterator fits in well. There is a Sydney transit cancel on the back and the onward transmission would have been by sea. The 7d rate was the agreed upon rate for the Trans-Tasman flight (5d air fee plus Empire 2d surface rate). Even though the Empire surface rate from New Zealand was 1d (Australia's was 2d), McNamara, the NZ Director-General, agreed to the total fee.
Neil

Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Hello,

I bought a New to me but Old Book.

The Postage Stamps of New Zealand Vol:III

I'm going to show the some of the A's (233 for Auckland area's only shown. Has rest of NZ as well.) Obliterator's Cancellation's and a link to the handstruck area. Port Albert.# 14

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg
IMG_0002_NEW.jpg

Number's 3,5,7,8,11,& 14 were used as Killer Cancels so the Book says.

Here is a link to Port Albert first known as Albertland by In 1861 William Rawson Brame, a Birmingham Baptist minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Albert,_New_Zealand

I hope I got this right & was of assisttance.

This book is not cheap (cost me $150) but has a lot of NZ Cancellations.

I'm sure unless Glen Sold them had a set of 10 . Not sure If he still has them.

Peter

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

That is very helpful Peter. Many thanks.
I looked up Port Albert and I note it is a suburb of Auckland. I assume the words "postal dist" associated with the names means postal district of Auckland. What does the (see A 35) mean after the name?
The book you are referring to sounds like Collins' book The Postage Stamps of New Zealand. Am I correct? Are you able to provide me a page number.
Neil

Kiwidude

Post by Kiwidude »

Yes.
Postage stamps of NZ Vol 3 page 43

Collins and CW Watts Authors

Yes. Says Postal Districts. There is 233 places in Auckland alone. No where like that now.

A35 says see A14

Peter

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

Wonderful. Many thanks for the quick response Peter.

Will need to work through this new piece of information.

Neil

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

philatel2 wrote:
03 Sep 2021 15:37
That is very helpful Peter. Many thanks.
I looked up Port Albert and I note it is a suburb of Auckland. I assume the words "postal dist" associated with the names means postal district of Auckland. What does the (see A 35) mean after the name?
The book you are referring to sounds like Collins' book The Postage Stamps of New Zealand. Am I correct? Are you able to provide me a page number.
Neil
I doubt many Aucklander's would consider Port Albert a suburb of Auckland. It is in Rodney district which is a part of Auckland district; but not of Auckland City and there are two reasonable sized towns between it and the city.

It's like saying Somenos is a suburb of Victoria, BC.

philatel2

Post by philatel2 »

Thanks for the clarification.
Neil

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”