Icelandic Translation Required of 1942 WW2 era document

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Icelandic Translation Required of 1942 WW2 era document

Post by Catweazle »

I recently acquired this fascinating cover and noticed inside that there is an old form completed in what I assume is Icelandic. I can't decipher the handwriting, however, and my knowledge of the local language is next to nothing.

Are there any members out there who might be able to provide me with a translation of this text? If so, I thank thee in advance from the depths of my heart!
And the cover itself, for the record:

According to the seller's description (about all I have to go on, really): A 1942 money letter endorsed "Símamál" between the telegraph stations of BORDEYRI and BÓLSTADARHLÍD. On the reverse are two black wax seals on back as well as a transit cancel from BLÖNDUÓS.

From what I understand, Borðeyri is a small town in northern Iceland that once used to be a thriving trading post in the early twentieth century but is now little more than a collection of buildings with a population of about 20 or so people.

I was intrigued because of the wartime (1942) postmarks that fit my collection niche well even if Iceland still lies somewhat south of the Arctic circle. Yet information seems sparse, so any additional thoughts, comments, suggestions or other such relevant posts are always appreciated!
Last edited by Global Administrator on 10 Jul 2020 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded brief heading, to add way more relevant detail

jwk
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Icelandic Translation Required

Post by jwk »

I'll have a go.

Landssimi Islands = Iceland Telecom

Adressed to the manager of the Bólstadarhlíd Telegraph/Telecom Station.

And I *think* the Ordsending (Message) is about a payment of 10,37 IKR, and apologies for the late payment caused by a delay in "coding"?

But I could be sooo wrong... :?

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

Catweazle: I can add just a little to what you already know.
The translations offered by jwk use "modern" terminology
and currency abbreviation, which were not current in 1942.

I can give some alternative translation of some of the printed text, but the
handwritten text needs a fluent Icelandic speaker, which I definitely am not.

The folded page has Landssími Islands and crest in the top left:
this is Iceland Telegraph. The title in the middle is Orðsending,
which is simply Memo. In the top right corner is Eyðublað nr. 96,
which is Form No. 96.

The envelope is headed Innlagðar krónur ..., followed by an unclear manuscript
amount, which is probably tíu 37/100, that is, Deposited Kr10.37, since
that amount is appears clearly in the manuscript note. (The whole number ten is written as a
word, while the fraction 37/100 represents 37 aurar, with 100 aurar = 1 króna.)

The envelope has the printed address Til forstjóra landssímastöðvarinnar ...,
which is To the Telegraph Station Manager ..., and it is completed in manuscript
with the place name Bólslaðarhlið. Under the Valuable Contents [insurance] label
in manuscript is the origin place name Borðeyri. In the lower left corner of the
envelope is Eyðublað nr. 1026, which is Form No. 102.

/RogerE

Naphila
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Naphila »

Hi there, I was just wondering whether a translation of the text was still needed, if it still is I can post a translation.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I am quite sure people are curious about what the content of letter is. So, if you can translate it, please do so.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello Naphila in Sweden, and kuikka in Finland, I'm sure that Catweazle in Victoria, Australia, would still be very happy to have a translation of that Icelandic note, as it is relevant to a serious collection of his.

Naphila, may I suggest that you look at this post [Tue Dec 03, 2019 01:00:54 am] in a thread about postcards with Esperanto messages:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76919&start=23
It contains a transliteration/transcription of a handwritten message, interleaved with a line by line translation (in blue italics to distinguish it from the lines of transcribed original text. That part of the post was supplied by Stampboards member Florián, who is a professional linguist, so the style reflects much experience in this style of translation.

It would be especially appreciated if you would give us a transcription of the Icelandic message, with an interleaved translation into English, after the style modelled by Florián.
Thank you, in anticipation :D

/RogerE :D

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Naphila wrote:
10 Jul 2020 08:59
Hi there, I was just wondering whether a translation of the text was still needed, if it still is I can post a translation.
Ooh yes please, do post your translation! Many thanks in advance! 8-)

DustyMiller
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Re: Icelandic Translation Required of 1942 WW2 era document

Post by DustyMiller »

I am an Icelander living in Thailand. Here is the handwritten text as the above post explains correctly the formal writings. The handwriting is:

"Sendi hér með *likjuhalla* stöðvarinnar í febrúar kr. 10.37 Bið afsökunar á drættinum sem stafar af óvenjulegu annríki og töfum við endurskoðun".

The word between the astrix * is very hard to make out, but in context it can refer to a credit line or a overdraft/payment. So here is the translation:

"I hereby send you the overdraft/payment of the station for February kr 10.37 I apologize for the delay due to being unusually busy with the audit"

Kveðjur (greetings in Icelandic) ... Dusty.

phos45
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by phos45 »

UPLOAD image to GOOGLEDRIVE. open with GOOGLEDOCS. an OCR FILE is below image. copy to GOOGLE TRANSLATE. TRANSLATION on right...

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

DustyMiller wrote:
11 Jul 2020 03:11
I am an Icelander living in Thailand.

Hi Dusty - I'd be guessing that you are the only person living within a few thousand kilometre radius of your adopted home who speaks Icelandic :lol:
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

DustyMiller wrote:
I am an Icelander living in Thailand. Here is the handwritten text as the above post explains correctly the formal writings. The handwriting is:

"Sendi hér með *likjuhalla* stöðvarinnar í febrúar kr. 10.37 Bið afsökunar á drættinum sem stafar af óvenjulegu annríki og töfum við endurskoðun".

The word between the astrix * is very hard to make out, but in context it can refer to a credit line or a overdraft/payment. So here is the translation:

"I hereby send you the overdraft/payment of the station for February kr 10.37 I apologize for the delay due to being unusually busy with the audit"

Well done .. we really do have members all over this planet! :)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

DustyMiller wrote:

Fabbo, much appreciated, this is super. Thank you! I know who to ask now if I have more of these Icelandic translations to come... ;)

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

phos45 wrote:
11 Jul 2020 03:14
UPLOAD image to GOOGLEDRIVE. open with GOOGLEDOCS. an OCR FILE is below image. copy to GOOGLE TRANSLATE. TRANSLATION on right...
This sounds like a neat idea. I might try it for some German letters and see if it works. Thank you, phos45!

DustyMiller

Post by DustyMiller »

Catweazle wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:48
DustyMiller wrote:

Fabbo, much appreciated, this is super. Thank you! I know who to ask now if I have more of these Icelandic translations to come... ;)
Any other document you have in Icelandic, feel free to post and I will translate :) smile.

Greetings from Thailand,
Dusty.

DustyMiller

Post by DustyMiller »

MargoZ wrote:
11 Jul 2020 11:21
DustyMiller wrote:
I am an Icelander living in Thailand.

Hi Dusty - I'd be guessing that you are the only person living within a few thousand kilometre radius of your adopted home who speaks Icelandic :lol:
One of my favorite replies to people who say "you are the first Icelander I meet"; is "thats because there are only 350.000 of us, and most are back on the rock in the middle of the Atlantic" :) .

Have a nice weekend ( eigðu góða helgi ) 8-)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Borrowing a word from your posts, Dusty Miller, Kveðjur!
May I add my thanks for your transcription and translation.

We haven't seen a follow-up from Naphila in Hjärup, Sweden, since he offered [Fri Jul 10, 2020 07:59:37 am] to post a translation of the note. I hope that he isn't disappointed that you got involved in the meantime...

I too was suitably surprised to see a post from an Icelander living in Thailand. Doesn't icecubes melt if left outside in Thailand‽ In any case, Dusty Miller, your Stampboards "handle" gives no hint of your national origin. Do you use your actual name in Thailand? Does it end in ...sson‽ ;)

Borrowing more words, from your latest post: Eigðu góða helgi!

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

DustyMiller wrote:
11 Jul 2020 16:06

Any other document you have in Icelandic, feel free to post and I will translate :) smile.
Thanks DustyMiller for the offer of more translations from Icelandic to English.
In the Stamps and Languages thread I have added a link to your translation in the present thread:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&start=307

I have included the link in a post about Icelandic. Please feel welcome to make any corrections or further comments in that thread — the more the posts there are "vetted" and/or supplemented by experts, the more reliable that thread will be for reference.

Best wishes,

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”