Is this an Icelandic Stamp Revenue Cancellation?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampquestions
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Is this an Icelandic Stamp Revenue Cancellation?

Post by stampquestions »

My Scott catalogue provides separate pricing for stamps such as the one below with revenue cancellations.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Icelandic revenue cancellations look like the cancellations on the stamp below?
Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Last edited by admin on 10 Aug 2019 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make more sense to members and turned into a QUESTION of some kind
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
Please email me for new address information. Thanks. Happy stamp collecting!
Brit-Col
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Icelandic Revenue Cancellation

Post by Brit-Col »

All the ones I’ve seen look like that.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

My one word of Icelandic language is TOLLUR.

I believe it basically means TAX!

Some of the hi cat, high face value stamps from this area are MOSTLY found with that boxed fiscal revenue cancel.

From August 1924 through 30 November 1938, "Tollur" cancellations were used to cancel Iceland postage stamps that were used to pay customs/import duties/taxes. Because the duty amounts collected were often large, Tollur cancellations are more common on high denomination stamps than low denomination stamps.

The latter high value pair is just $10 retail from member here Jay Smith website.

https://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/Iceland/Iceland-Revenues-Customs-Cancels-Tollur-Page-01.html

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
stampquestions

Re: Is this an Icelandic Stamp Revenue Cancellation?

Post by stampquestions »

Thanks for the translation and the images of the full cancellation!
Derrick - Please note that my mailing address will change effective April 1, 2022.
Please email me for new address information. Thanks. Happy stamp collecting!
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

admin wrote:My one word of Icelandic language is TOLLUR.

I believe it basically means TAX!
Toll means Customs, as in much of the rest of Scandinavia, not tax.

If you find any overprinted ORLOF they are Savings Stamps. (Orlof - holiday).

On the 1kr type II (1931) the Tollur cancellation is worth about half the postal one (FAcit).

On the other hand the 1 eyr that Glen shows ( I can't work out which one it is) is either 8x postal (Type I) or 2.5 times postal (type II). The 5kr Tollur cancel is only worth a fifth of the price of a postal use. This is all logical; the lower values would be used for card and letter postage, the higher values for parcel, packet, and fiscal, with fewer of the low values used for Customs purposes.

The 25 aur red (not shown) is listed in Facit as 500 Skr postal and 35 Skr for Customs - only 185,000 were printed so one can imagine that very few were used for postal purposes.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

John Barefoot has a listing of Icelandic stamps with Tollur cancels on his website:
http://www.jbarefoot.co.uk/pdfs/Iceland-Tollur.pdf
Happy Stamper
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Happy Stamper »

You guys are spot on.
Iceland at the time was part of the Danish Kingdom, however they were left pretty much to use their own language, with some Nordic similarities. The Danish word for custom's duty is 'told'.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”