Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature?

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Are there any sites out there, or literature regarding Postal Cancels of Poland?

Especially post WWII cancels.

Cheers,

Carmel

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature

Post by AMark »

Hi Carmel,

I am sorry but I can't give you any specific online resources that contain information about Poland's, post WWII, cancels. But what I can recommend is to post images of the covers that you have on Stampboards and I am sure that members will help with identification. :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by bazza4338 »

There is some information here.... 77 pages

https://www.cherrystoneauctions.com/scans/1792.pdf

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I have been going over a big bag of recent Poland stamp cuttings and soaking them off.

They are trimmed very closely but wherever it is possible to save a piece with a good cancel I've been putting them aside.

Here is an example:

Wikipedia says: "Aleksandrów Kujawski (Polish: until 1879 Trojanów, 1879-1919 Aleksandrów Pograniczny) is a small town in Poland, in Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship. It is situated about 18 km south-east of Toruń. It is the seat of Aleksandrów County, and also of Gmina Aleksandrów Kujawski (although it is not part of the territory of that gmina). Population in 2014: 12,476."

A close up of the cancel:

The cancel is a 13050415 ALEKSANDROW KUJ. 1 * AO * CDS

I Believe that the "1" in the CDS indicates that there are more than one post office in Aleksandrów Kujawski and this is the cancel from PO#1.

I have yet to figure out how to match the number with a specific post office.

No idea as to what the "AO" stands for.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 10 Mar 2020 07:45, edited 4 times in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The cuttings were trimmed really close to the stamps so that the shapes are sometimes quite odd.

This cutting is from a Warsaw post office:

The CDS cancel reads: 25061216 WARSZAWA 76 *RG*

Perhaps the "76" stand for something other than the post office number, or there are (or were) at least 76 post offices in Warsaw.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 10 Mar 2020 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Another example is from Krościenko nad Dunajcem

Wikipedia has this to say: "Krościenko nad Dunajcem is a village in southern Poland situated in the Nowy Targ County in Lesser Poland Voivodeship since 1999 (previously in Nowy Sącz Voivodeship, from 1975–1998). it is approximately 31 kilometres (19 mi) east of Nowy Targ and 78 km (48 mi) south-east of the regional capital Kraków. Population (2009): 3,552."

The CDS cancel reads: 13110915 KROSCIENKO N. DUNAJCEM *AJ*

I believe there is just one post office in the village. No idea what "AJ" stands for.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Another cancel, this time from Poznan.

Wikipedia says: "Poznań (German: Posen; known also by other historical names) is a city on the Warta River in west-central Poland, in the Greater Poland region and is the fifth-largest city in Poland. It is best known for its renaissance Old Town and Ostrów Tumski Cathedral. Poznań is among the oldest and largest cities in Poland. The city's population is 538,633 (2011 census)."

The CDS cancel reads: 14 06 05 16 CER POZNAN *AAD*

The "CER" is puzzling and I've not found anything about it on the net. No idea what the "AAD" stands for. This time it's three letters, rather than two as on the other cancels.

Perhaps it refers to the Poznan central rail station centralny dworzec kolejowy Poznan. Perhaps not ...

I am hoping one of our Polish speaking members can tell us what CER POZNAN means.

Cheers,

Carmel

AMark

Post by AMark »

carmel wrote:Hi,

Another cancel, this time from Poznan.

Wikipedia says: "Poznań (German: Posen; known also by other historical names) is a city on the Warta River in west-central Poland, in the Greater Poland region and is the fifth-largest city in Poland. It is best known for its renaissance Old Town and Ostrów Tumski Cathedral. Poznań is among the oldest and largest cities in Poland. The city's population is 538,633 (2011 census)."

The CDS cancel reads: 14 06 05 16 CER POZNAN *AAD*

The "CER" is puzzling and I've not found anything about it on the net. No idea what the "AAD" stands for. This time it's three letters, rather than two as on the other cancels.

Perhaps it refers to the Poznan central rail station centralny dworzec kolejowy Poznan. Perhaps not ...

I am hoping one of our Polish speaking members can tell us what CER POZNAN means.

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel,

Doing a bit of google search and my understanding is that "CER" stands for, "Centrum Ekspedycyjno Rozdzielcze". Or, Main Distribution Center in Poznan, Poland (using google translate).

I will try to dig up more information about the other abbreviations on your CDS.
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

maszki
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by maszki »

The cuttings were trimmed really close to the stamps so that the shapes are sometimes quite odd.

Perhaps the "76" stand for something other than the post office number, or there are (or were) at least 76 post offices in Warsaw.

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel, I have spent several days trying to give you some answers....without success. If you Google Poczta Polska Warsawa 76 you get the location, office hours etc. The Post Office 'official' title is UP Warsaw 76 which simply means Post Office Warsaw 76

There are several post offices in Warsaw; for example, there are UP Warsawa 92, 106, 11 and there are also FUP Warsawa 131, 44 etc. The F stands for filia or branch and to confuse you even more there are 2 FUP Warsawa 131 which have different addresses, and there are three FUP Warsawa 44- again at different addresses so I would guess that UP is for major postal centres and each may have a number of sub-branches. A guess only. I googled UP Warsawa 1 and it and several other UP's are listed, but not Warsawa 2 or 3, but there is a UP Warsawa 4 so a bit hit and miss. Similarly if you google FUP Warsawa you will get a similar listing of branches.

Stampdomain advertisers articles on cancellers up to about 1916 but for reasons that elude me I cannot connect with the site (being computer illiterate does not help)

The post office site is www. Poczta-Polska.pl and I once cracked the code so that their page was translated into English but I haven't been able to replicate that success. Each Post Office is identified by its postcode; for example the Post Office that services Maszki is 24-204 Wojciechow. Your example Warsawa 76 is postcode 02 919.

The AAD for Poznan I would assume is an acronym for some geographical location- perhaps the province, or Gmina or similar. As I was ranting away here I thought 'why not ask the Post Office' so I took time out to email Poczta Polska and asked them. I'll get back to you if they reply.

I will be unable to follow up on this personally for a while as the coronavirus has struck in Belyce, a major town only 9 kilometres from my home and the town and the nearby city (Lublin) is currently being locked down, schools closed and major events cancelled; and my wife and I (politely referred to as 'elderly) are self-isolating with a slab of beer, a large bottle of Vodka and a big bag of rice for the duration...the upside is that this gives me time to sort and catalogue a few stamps.

Stay safe everyone.

"

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information.

This means that the following postmark is from the Warsaw Central post office:

The CDS cancel reads: 240507 16 WARSZAWA CER *XRR*

Here is a close up:

This cancel also has a three letter code "XRR" while the cancel for CER POZNAN also had a three letter code.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi maszki,

Thanks for the information and I wish you and your wife a peaceful and uneventful lock down.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

One more cancel.

This is a cancel which I originally believed to from Poznan as it reads GOSTYN POZNANSKI.

It turns out that there is a town with this name.

Wikipedia says: "Gostyń - a city in the Greater Poland voivodship , in the Gostyń poviat, on the Kania, located about 60 km south of Poznań, the seat of the urban-rural commune of Gostyń. Population (2019) 20,235."

The CDS reads: 19 03 08 16 GOSTYN POZNANSKI 3 *AI*

I have not been able to locate this PO, perhaps it no longer exists.

Cheers,

Carmel

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

This appears to be the main post office in Gostyn so most likely the one of your cancel.

Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

AMark

Post by AMark »

One more cancel.

This is a cancel which I originally believed to from Poznan as it reads GOSTYN POZNANSKI.

It turns out that there is a town with this name.

Wikipedia says: "Gostyń - a city in the Greater Poland voivodship , in the Gostyń poviat, on the Kania, located about 60 km south of Poznań, the seat of the urban-rural commune of Gostyń. Population (2019) 20,235."

The CDS reads: 19 03 08 16 GOSTYN POZNANSKI 3 *AI*

I have not been able to locate this PO, perhaps it no longer exists.

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel,

From my understanding (i.e. google research) there are 4 PO's in Gostyń Poznański. Gostyń Poznański 3 is one of the branches in the city. To be more specific, the CDS Gostyń Poznański 3 is located at Władysława Łokietka 2, 63-800, in Gostyń, Poland.

Cheers,

Carmel
From what I have read/seen if you have a city name followed by a number, the number is the PO's branch number in a particular Polish city.

In the above example, WARSZAWA 76 is a PO branch located at: Burgaska 2/4, 02-919 Warszawa, Poland.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks everybody.

Here is another cancel from Poznan. This time it's POZNAN 45.

The CDS cancel reads: 28041020 POZNAN 45 *AG*

If the numbering system is consistent this should be Post Office #45 in Poznan.

UP Poznań 45, ul. Piotra Ściegiennego 50, Poznań 60-130.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Koszalin.

Wikipedia says:

"Koszalin (German: Köslin) is a city in northwestern Poland, in Western Pomerania. It is located 12 kilometers (7 miles) south of the Baltic Sea coast, and intersected by the river Dzierżęcinka. Population (31 December 2018): 107,321.

The town became part of the German Empire in 1871 during the unification of Germany. On 4 March 1945, the city was captured by the Red Army. Under the border changes forced by the Soviet Union in the post-war Potsdam Agreement, Koszalin became part of Poland as part of the so-called Recovered Territories."

The CDS reads: 17060411 KOSZALIN 10 *AL*

So this would be Post Office #10 in Koszalin.

UP Koszalin 10 - Zwycięstwa 186, 75-617 Koszalin.

Cheers,

Carmel

AMark

Post by AMark »

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel,

Yes, that would be my understanding since there are more that 10 POs in Koszalin, Poland (there should be 12 in total?). :)

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Mark,

Looks like I need to find a lot of cancels ...

How do you find out the number of Post Offices in a city?

Is there a specific site that you use?

Cheers,

Carmel

flip138

Post by flip138 »

Nobody seems to have stated the function of the eight numbers in the centre of these postmarks.

Could I suggest: DD MM YY TT(time, 24 hour clock). So 17060111 would be 17 June 2001, 11am.

Phil

AMark

Post by AMark »

flip138 wrote:Nobody seems to have stated the function of the eight numbers in the centre of these postmarks.

Could I suggest: DD MM YY TT(time, 24 hour clock). So 17060111 would be 17 June 2001, 11am.

Phil
Phil,

Yes, you are correct but nobody has asked the question about the meaning of the eight digits in the centre of the postmark. :wink:

That said, my understanding is that they represent: DD/MM/YY/TT. As you have mentioned above. :)

Thank you!

AMark

Post by AMark »

carmel wrote:Hi Mark,

Looks like I need to find a lot of cancels ...

How do you find out the number of Post Offices in a city?

Is there a specific site that you use?

Cheers,

Carmel
Hi Carmel,

No, there is no specific site that lists the exact number of POs in a given city. It's much more simpler than that. :) Well, at least I think that it is. :wink:

I am about to reveal a secret that can't be used by anybody. :wink: So, please do spread it around. :)

In google, type in "Poczta Polska" followed by the city name "Koszalin" and you will get different locations of Poczta Polska branches in Koszalin. :wink:

That said, please do not rely solely on google to get a complete number of PO locations in a given city/town etc...

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

You can also use google maps. Type in town and country. Once you have the map do this:
In front of the town name and country type in post offices.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks everyone.

Next is a cancel from the small village of Nurzec-Stacja which is near the border with Belarus.

The cancel is on a pair of Scott 3686 2.1zl The Princess Enchanted into a Frog stamps from the 2003 Fairy Tales issue. Nice looking design IMO.

Wikipedia says:

"Nurzec-Stacja is a village in Siemiatycze County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland, close to the border with Belarus. The village has a population of 2,000 It lies approximately 16 kilometers (10 mi) east of Siemiatycze and 73 km (45 mi) south of the regional capital Białystok.

According to the 1921 census, the village was inhabited by 156 people, among whom 81 were Roman Catholic, 30 Orthodox, 7 Evangelical and 38 Mosaic (=Jewish)."

The CDS reads: 080205 15 NURZEC STACJA *AC* CDS

The PO is located at Żerczycka 32A, 17-330 Nurzec-Stacja

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Here is the list (so far) of cancels:

City/Town/Village PO# CDS details

1 Aleksandrów Kujawski 1 13050415 ALEKSANDROW KUJ. 1 *AO*
2 Gostyn Poznanski 3 19 03 08 16 GOSTYN POZNANSKI 3 *AI*
3 Koszalin 10 17060411 KOSZALIN 10 *AL*
4 Krościenko nad Dunajcem -- 13110915 KROSCIENKO N. DUNAJCEM *AJ*
5 Nurzec-Stacja -- 080205 15 NURZEC STACJA *AC* CDS
6 Poznan 45 28041020 POZNAN 45 *AG*
7 (Cer) Poznan -- 14 06 05 16 CER POZNAN *AAD*
8 Warsaw 76 25061216 WARSZAWA 76 *RG*
9 Warsaw Cer -- 240507 16 WARSZAWA CER *XRR*

Cheers,

Carmel

maszki

Post by maszki »

Just to clear up (or thoroughly confuse) those interested in Polish cancellations, let me add several points/opinions.

Firstly Poczta Polska has at least 3 types of offices which are prefixed CER for a central office (Centralny), UP for a Post Office and FUP for a branch. In Gostyń Poznański there are two Post Offices (UP 1 and UP 3) and a number of branches within UP 1 (I think 3) which are prefixed FUP (filial=branch) Each of these can be googled using the appropriate prefix, town name and number.

In Warsaw, UP Warsawa 76 has 5 or 6 branches (FUP's) each separately identified by their Post Code number.

Similarly if anyone is confused about UP Gostyń Poznański 3 this refers to the Post Office identified by Post Code 63-814, the location identifier 'Poznanski' being added so as to different this town called Gostyń from other similarly named towns; for example Gostyń (województwo śląskie) Post Code 43-176.

My local town is Wojciechow. Ah yes, I hear you say...which one?
Wojciechów may refer to the following places in Poland:

Wojciechów, Lwówek Śląski County in Lower Silesian Voivodeship (south-west Poland)
Wojciechów, Złotoryja County in Lower Silesian Voivodeship (south-west Poland)
Wojciechów, Chełm County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland)
Wojciechów, Kraśnik County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland)
Wojciechów, Gmina Gomunice in Łódź Voivodeship (central Poland)
Wojciechów, Gmina Przedbórz in Łódź Voivodeship (central Poland)
Wojciechów, Lublin County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland)
Wojciechów, Opole Lubelskie County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland)
Wojciechów, Włodawa County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland)
Wojciechów, Kazimierza County in Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship (south-central Poland)
Wojciechów, Włoszczowa County in Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship (south-central Poland)
Wojciechów, Masovian Voivodeship (east-central Poland)
Wojciechów, Greater Poland Voivodeship (west-central Poland)
Wojciechów, Namysłów County in Opole Voivodeship (south-west Poland)
Wojciechów, Olesno County in Opole Voivodeship (south-west Poland)

Still with me?

Now my original guess (I still haven't heard back from Poczta Polska) was that the bottom letters (AAD or similar 2 or 3 letter codes) is some form of location identifier, but I haven't cracked the code yet. Here are a few clues from covers in my collection, which lead me to suspect my guess that these codes are based upon location is way off the mark..

Przemysl has the codes AA; CC; AE; PC(?); and AB
Kleosin AE
Brusy AB; AD
Lubartow WW (2 envelopes); AA (3 envelopes); BB and Lubartow 1. AA
Olsztyn AC
Warsawa 120 KKL
Warsawa CER XBB
Lublin LA; BK; AH; SL; also Lublin 1.. BO; and Lublin 12..BA
Ryki AF
Ostrada AR

Stop me if you see a pattern....

Warsawa 4 ZH
Warsawa 1 AY
Warsawa 118 TL
Deblin AJ
Czestochowa AI beautiful city, site of Jasna Gora (google it)
Lublin BF; IZ
Pulawy 1 KD
Debno Lubelski BL
Krakow 25 AZ
Wroclaw AT (previously Breslau. a pre-WW2 German city)
Serniki LG
CER Poznan AAD
Torun 3 AD
Zielona Gora AD

I can see no rhyme or reason, but I assume there is some logic in there.....somewhere, but anyone who has studied the Polish language might disagree with that comment.

Prusy, Zielona Gora and Torun 3 all used AD and are widely spread throughout Poland. Zielona Gora to the South West, Torun centre North and Prusy South and East near Krakow. No hints there.

PS I live in Maszki 1. There is a Maszki 2 and a Maszki -Colony Wojciechow which are villages to the North of Wojciechow, which to answer your unasked question is the Wojciechow located in Lublin County in Lublin Voivodeship (east Poland).

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks maszki. I believe that the "code" will eventually be deciphered.

What I can see from your list is, that will be quite a task to assemble a meaningful collection of modern Polish cancellations.

The next cancel is from the city of Katowice.

Wikipedia says:

"Katowice, officially Miasto Katowice (1953–1956: Stalinogród; Silesian: Katowicy; German: Kattowitz) is a city in southern Poland, the capital city of the Silesian Region, and a center of the Upper Silesia and Dąbrowa Basin Metropolis. With the population of 294,510 (as of 2018), it is the eleventh-largest city in Poland.

Following Germany's defeat and the Silesian Uprisings, Katowice and parts of Upper Silesia were annexed by the Second Polish Republic. In 1939, after the Wehrmacht seized the town, Katowice and the provinces were incorporated into the Third Reich. The town was eventually liberated by the Soviet army on 27 January 1945.

Under the Nazi occupation many of the city's historical and iconic monuments were destroyed, most notably the Great Katowice Synagogue, which was burned to the ground on September 4, 1939. During the war, the Nazi occupant committed severe crimes against the local Gypsy and Jewish communities. Most of them were eventually killed or transported by cattle wagons to concentration camps such as Auschwitz for complete extermination."

The CDS reads: 17-03-05-23 KATOWICE 2 *RA*

Working with our assumptions, this is PO#2 in the city of Katowice, or UP Katowice 2.

This is the first cancel so far to have dashes between the day, month, year, hour.

Cheers,

Carmel

AMark

Post by AMark »

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel,

Did a bit of research into the meaning of the letter codes at the bottom of the Polish datestamps. From my understanding, they represent letter identifications of datestamps used at a Poczta Polska branch.

So, in the above example: Koszalin 10 is the 10th Poczta Polska branch in Koszalin and "AL" is the letter id of the datestamp used at branch #10 in Koszalin.

Furthermore, the two letter codes are for datestamps used at PO branches, while the three letter codes (this is a guess) are used at Main Distribution Centers or sorting centers?

Hope this helps!

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks. I believe we are close to figuring out the meaning of the letter code at the bottom of the cancels.

The next cancel is also from the city of Katowice.

The CDS reads: 15040419 KATOWICE 2 *AC*

There may also be an additional element in the area below the date and above the "AC". Perhaps someone with eagle eyes will be able to check this out.

Here is a close up of the cancel:

Note that this cancel is also from Katowice 2 but the letter code is "AC" while the previous Katowice 2 cancel had a letter code of "RA".

The previous cancel reads: 17-03-05-23 KATOWICE 2 *RA*
This cancel reads: 15040419 KATOWICE 2 *AC*

The two cancels differ from one another in that in the previous Katowice 2 the day, month, year, hour are differentiated with dashes between the day, month, year, hour.

The previous Katowice cancel is dated 17.3.05 while this Katowice cancel is dated 15.04.04. So either the previous cancel is a replacement cancel with a new two letter code, or the two cancels are concurrent, with each cancel differentiated by the letter code.

A third possibility is that one of the cancels belongs to a branch office "FUP" of the Katowice 2 post office (if indeed there are any and if they did not use a cancel with the branch name).

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Olsztyn.

Wikipedia says:

"Olsztyn (German: Allenstein, Old Polish: Holstin; Old Prussian: Alnāsteini or Alnestabs; Lithuanian: Olštynas) is a city on the Łyna River in northeastern Poland. Olsztyn is the capital of the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, and is a city with county rights. The population of the city was estimated at 172,362 residents in 2018.

After the defeat of Germany in World War I, the East Prussian plebiscite was held in 1920 to determine whether the populace of the region, including Allenstein, wished to remain in German East Prussia or become part of Poland. The plebiscite, held on 11 July, produced 16,742 votes for Germany and 342 votes for Poland."

As stamp collectors we are aware of the stamps issued in connection with this plebiscite.

"During the war (WWII) five forced labor camps were established in the city. By 1939, 135 Jews were left in the city, after most others fled from the country. Those who lived in town in 1940 were deported to Nazi concentration camps. In June 1946, 16 Holocaust survivors settled in the city and in 1948, the congregation had 190 worshipers. Most of them immigrated to Israel throughout the next few decades. There is no current trace of the Jewish cemetery.

On 22 January 1945, near the end of the war, Allenstein was plundered and burned by the conquering Soviet Red Army, and much of its German population fled. On 23 May 1945, Olsztyn became again part of Poland under border changes promulgated at the Potsdam Conference."

The CDS reads: 05111224 OLSZTYN 13 *AA* CDS

There is an additional element of "wings" along the inner border of the cancel on both sides between the "*" and the OLSZTYN 13, perhaps with a line connecting the two wings above the *AA*. I do not know how these "wings" are called.

So this is the cancel of post office #13 of the city of Olsztyn.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is also from the city of Katowice.

It is an older cancel, from 1998. Also, I am uncertain if it had a letter code, as that part of the cancel is too faint to decipher.

I'll mark it as *?* until a better cancel is found or until some eagle eyed member can work it out.

The CDS reads: 17129810 KATOWICE 9 *?*

So, for Katowice, we have the following three cancels:

17129810 KATOWICE 9 *?*
15040419 KATOWICE 2 *AC*
17-03-05-23 KATOWICE 2 *RA*

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Zielona Góra.

Wikipedia says:

"Zielona Góra [ʑeˈlɔna ˈɡura] (German: Grünberg in Schlesien) is the largest city in Lubusz Voivodeship, in western Poland, with 140,297 inhabitants (2018). The city has been known for its wines for centuries. It is now one of two places in Poland with wine grape cultivation mainly for white wines (the other being the wine growing region near the town of Warka in Masovia).

The town was incorporated into the Kingdom of Bohemia in 1506. As part of Bohemia, in 1526 it became part of the Habsburg Empire and experienced a wave of witch trials in the 17th century. As a result of the First Silesian War, the city was annexed by Prussia and, in 1871, became part of Germany, until the end of World War II in 1945. In accordance with the Potsdam Agreement, the province was handed over to Poland and resettled with Poles.

During the Kristallnacht in 1938, the Germans destroyed the synagogue. During World War II the Germans established a women's subcamp of the Gross-Rosen concentration camp, 11 forced labour camps and 4 labour units of the POW camp in Żagań, intended for French, Italian and Soviet prisoners of war."

The CDS reads: 02 04 09 15 ZIELONA GORA 2 *SA*

So we have the cancel of Post Office #2 of the city of Zielona Góra.

Google maps shows 19 post offices in the city, but many of them do not show the PO number.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Rzeszów. This city had an important Jewish community before WWII.

Wikipedia (plus some Jewish sites) say:

"Rzeszów (German: Resche; Latin: Resovia, Hebrew: ריישא, ריישה or ריישע) is the largest city in southeastern Poland. It is located on both sides of the Wisłok River in the heartland of the Sandomierz Basin. Population (31 December 2019): 195,734.

In the mid-eighteenth century, the town's population was composed of Poles (Roman Catholics) and Yiddish Jews in almost equal numbers (50.1% and 49.8%, respectively). The city was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Until the outbreak of World War II the Jews of Rzeszów numbered 14,000, more than one-third of the total ethnic Polish population.

The town was occupied by the German Army on 10 September 1939 and was renamed as "Reichshof". German persecution of the Jews began almost immediately; by the end of 1939, there were 10 forced labor camps in the Rzeszów region and many Jews became slave laborers. In 1941 a ghetto was opened there and Jews were forced to live in the Gestapo-controlled ghetto. Jews from the neighboring villages were also sent to the ghetto. Its population reached about 23,000 Jews.

In the fall of 1943 most Jewish slave labor was transported in Holocaust trains to the Bełżec concentration camp. A month later, on 5 November 1943, the remaining Jews, some 2,800, were sent from there, to meet their demise in Auschwitz. Of Rzeszów's 14,000 Jews, only 100 survived the war."

The CDS reads: 11-02-05-22 RZESOW 2 *FW*

The cancel is the second cancel which has dashes between the date, month, year, hour.

Cheers,

Carmel

AMark

Post by AMark »

The next cancel is from the city of Zielona Góra.

The CDS reads: 02 04 09 15 ZIELONA GORA 2 *SA*

So we have the cancel of Post Office #2 of the city of Zielona Góra.

Google maps shows 19 post offices in the city, but many of them do not show the PO number.

Cheers,

Carmel
Carmel,

Poczta Polska SA, FUP Zielona Góra 2 is found at this address:

Ptasia 2A, 65-514 Zielona Góra, Poland.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks.

The next cancel is from the town of Otmuchów.

Wikipedia says:

"Otmuchów (German: Ottmachau) is a town in Nysa County, Opole Voivodeship, Poland, with 6,581 inhabitants (2019).

Between 1871 and 1945 the area was part of Germany. During the Second World War a German prisoner-of-war camp (E276) was based here, at a sugar beet factory. The camp came under the administration of Stalag VIII-B/344 at Łambinowice (then Lamsdorf), a camp for English-speaking prisoners of war. In 1944 the men were transferred to the oil refinery at Trzebinia (E738). The Germans also established the Polenlager 86 Nazi concentration camp for Poles in the town."

The town itself looks IMO quite pretty.

City Hall

Church of St. Nicholas and St. Francis

The CDS reads: 15100916 OTMUCHOW *PA*

The two letter code is hard to decipher so perhaps BA or DA. If anyone has a better example or sharp eyes, feel free to correct or verify.

So this cancel is probably for the only post office in town.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Opole.

Wikipedia says:

"Opole (German: Oppeln; Silesian: Ôpole) is a city located in southern Poland on the Oder River and the historical capital of Upper Silesia. With a population of approximately 128,137 (December 2018), it is the capital of Opole Voivodeship (Opolskie province) and the seat of Opole County.

After the defeat of Imperial Germany in World War I, a plebiscite was held on 20 March 1921 in Oppeln to determine if the city would be in the Weimar Republic or become part of the Second Polish Republic. 20,816 (94.7%) votes were cast for Germany, 1,098 (5.0%) for Poland."

Here is an example from my collection of a cover sent from Oppeln during the plebiscite period:

and a close up of the OPPELN CDS:

Oppeln remained a part of Germany until after WWII.

"On 15 February 1941 and 26 February 1941, two deportation transports with 2,003 Jewish men, women and children on board left Vienna Aspang Station for the ghetto which had been set up in Oppeln. By March 1941, 8,000 Jews were deported to Oppeln. The "Liquidation" of the Oppeln ghetto began in the spring 1942. A transport to Belzec extermination camp left on 31 March 1942 and deportations to Sobibor followed in May and October 1942. Of the 2,003 Viennese Jews, only twenty-eight are known to have survived.

After the end of the Second World War in 1945, Oppeln was transferred from Germany to Poland according to the Potsdam Conference, and given its original Slavic name of Opole."

Image Image

The CDS reads: 30070919 OPOLE 1 *KO*

So this is post office UP OPOLE 1.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

This thread started out as an attempt to discover information sources on cancels of Poland.

If anyone knows of any such sources feel free to post them up. Also sources on postal rates are welcome too.

Cheers,

Carmel

jimd
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by jimd »

Hi Carmel,

For postal rates, I would recommend Polskie Taryfy Pocztowe, by Marek Zbierski. Though mostly in Polish, there is an English section for all basic rates 1918 to 1939.

There is a companion volume, published 8 years later, which covers postal rates from 1941 to 2010. Title is Taryfy i Cenniki Opłat Poczty Polskiej, by Adam Kielbasa-Schoeni and Stanisław Fołta.

There is also a 14 volume set highlighting the commemorative cancels of Poland from 1918 until 1981.It is titled Katalog Polskich Stempli Okolicznościowych, by Andrzej Myślicki. This may be out of print, but the first two titles should be available.

There are also a few pages of basic rates information in Fischer catalog, volume 1. I hope that this helps.
Jim

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Jim.

Sadly, I do not understand Polish.

Does the companion volume, which covers postal rates from 1941 to 2010, Taryfy i Cenniki Opłat Poczty Polskiej, have an English section? In other words, is it usable for a non Polish speaker?

The next cancel is another cancel from CER Poznan.

The CDS reads: 18 03 08 20 CER POZNAN *AAD*

The previous CER POZNAN CDS reads: 14 06 05 16 CER POZNAN *AAD*

So this particular cancel has been in use for more than three years.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Wrocław.

Wikipedia says:

"Wrocław (German: Breslau, Czech: Vratislav) is a city in western Poland and the largest city in the historical region of Silesia. It lies on the banks of the River Oder in the Silesian Lowlands of Central Europe, roughly 350 kilometres (220 mi) from the Baltic Sea to the north and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from the Sudeten Mountains to the south. The population of Wrocław in 2019 was 641,607, making it the fourth-largest city in Poland.

At various times, it has been part of the Kingdom of Poland, the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Kingdom of Hungary, the Habsburg Monarchy, Prussia and Germany. Wrocław became part of Poland again in 1945 as part of the so-called Recovered Territories as a result of the border changes after the Second World War. This included the flight and expulsion of the mostly German population of the city.

KZ Dürrgoy, one of the first concentration camps in the Third Reich, was set up in Breslau in 1933. The Gestapo began actions against Polish and Jewish students, Communists, Social Democrats, and trade unionists. Arrests were made for speaking Polish in public, and in 1938 the Nazi-controlled police destroyed the Polish cultural center. In September 1941 the city's 10,000 Jews were displaced from their homes and soon deported to camps. Few survived the Holocaust."

A picture of the University of Wrocław (from Wikipedia):

The CDS reads: 30-09-02-17 WROCLAW 2 *SF*

This is the cancel for post office #2. I expect there to be a large number of post offices in Wrocław, considering the size of its population.

Cheers,

Carmel

jimd

Post by jimd »

Hi Carmel,

The second volume which I referenced, giving postal rates from 1941 until 2010, has an introduction and a table of symbols and abbreviations, which are in English. Unlike Zbierski's book of prewar rates, it doesn't have an English section. However I also don't speak Polish, but can use it quite well (after a bit of practice). Much like all the Michel catalogs, most users find that they are quite helpful, though it takes a little extra effort at first. If you have a specific question about a rate, I could help you with that.

Cheers!
Jim

Rein

Post by Rein »

Witamy!

I do not have any answers just a few links to my site about BANPOL

http://www.galeoptix.nl/fila/polska/pl_banpol_katowice.htm

You will note the "cecha datownika" [cds mark] of "ZA" used for a lot of ATM-dispensers in the Katowice area all belonging to the RUP Katowice! Similarly "F." to all belonging to RUP Częstochowa.

Or "WA" to RUP Chorzów!

http://www.galeoptix.nl/fila/polska/pl_banpol_krakow.htm

Rein

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Jim and Rein. I've put the book on my want list.

I'll check Rein's site, there seems to be plenty of time lately ...

The next cancel is from the town of Leszno.

Wikipedia says:

"Leszno (German: Lissa) is a town in western Poland with 64,197 inhabitants (2017).

During the Second Partition of Poland in 1793, Leszno was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia and after the Napoleonic Wars was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Posen as Lissa. ... The town took part in the Greater Poland Uprising of 1918–19 and was returned to the Second Polish Republic by the Treaty of Versailles with effect from 17 January 1920.

In the 1939 Invasion of Poland, the town was annexed by Nazi Germany and incorporated into Reichsgau Wartheland. The Polish population was resettled to the General Government. Most of the town's Jewish population (which in its history included such famous rabbis as Leo Baeck and Jacob of Lissa as well as the writer Ludwig Kalisch) and remaining Poles were murdered by the Nazi Einsatzgruppen. After the defeat of Nazi-Germany, the town returned to Poland in 1945."

Some photos (from Wikipedia) of the town:

The Main Post Office:

Church of St. Nicholas:

The CDS reads: 15040815 LESZNO 2 *AI*

Cheers,

Carmel

Rein

Post by Rein »

Carmel,

Any CDS's with year first?! This was the official [ISO] way of dating ....

Rein

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the village of Orla.

Wikipedia says:

"Orla (Belarusian: Орля, Podlachian: Vôrla) is a village in Bielsk County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland. ... It lies approximately 11 kilometers (7 mi) south-east of Bielsk Podlaski and 47 km (29 mi) south of the regional capital Białystok. The village has a population of 1,100.

According to the 1921 census, the village was inhabited by 1.518 people, among whom 31 were Roman Catholic, 320 Orthodox, and 1.167 Jewish."

kehilalinks.jewishgen.org has this to say about the Jewish community in Orla:

"In the 20s and 30s Orla was a typical Jewish shtetl in Eastern Poland. Jews lived mainly in the town center, on the streets near the synagogue and the market, where small, wooden shops were located. They practically monopolized all services.

When the 2nd World War started Orla was under Soviet occupation (from 17 September 1939 until 22 June 1941). The outbreak of German-Soviet war was the beginning of the end of four centuries of Jewish presence in Orla. Directly after the town was occupied by Germans, they introduced repressions against its Jewish residents.

Probably around March-April 1942 in the center of Orla, Germans organized a ghetto, where all Jews from the town and nearby villages were forcibly relocated. At the same time Christians living in the area of the town were expelled. On 4 November 1942 the ghetto in Orla was liquidated. More than 1500 Jews, headed by the last rabbi of Orla, Eli Halpern, were forced on a 10 kilometer march to Bielsk Podlaski rail station. From the station Jews were taken to Treblinka extermination camp, where all of them were murdered. Only around 20 Jews of Orla survived the Holocaust."

The synagogue of Orla (exterior and interior) :

ImageImage

The CDS reads: 04040503 ORLA *AB*

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Rein,

The leftmost pair of numbers in the date portion of the cancels range, so far, from 04-30 so assuming that there is consistency, it cannot be the year.

Cheers,

Carmel

maszki

Post by maszki »

Hi Carmel. I haven't received a full answer from Poczta-Polska yet but they have confirmed AMark's earlier post that CER does indeed stand for Centrum Ekspedycyjno Rozdzielcze which translates loosely to Central Distribution Centre

I've emailed them again but this time with a scan of a postmark (Lubartow) with an AA code at its base and asked them specifically what the AA stands for.

I'll let you know when I receive a response.

maszki

Post by maszki »

Carmel, the response by Poczta-Polska is "We kindly inform that the two letters AA on the postal stamp , are the equivalent of a suitable post office."

To me that is meaningless so I have sent another email asking if they can expand on the explanation, pointing out that the codes (for example AA and AD) are used in widely dispersed geographical locations.

'Suitable Post Office????

Rein

Post by Rein »

Agencja Adekwatna?!

maszki

Post by maszki »

Rein wrote:Agencja Adekwatna?!
Hi Rein.....still awaiting an explanation from Poczta Polska but the list of acronyms include XBB which would be a struggle even for the Polish language as there are no words starting with X (well, none I could find in my English/Polish Oxford dictionary).

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”