Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

maszki
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature

Post by maszki »

Hi Carmel..still nothing concrete from Poczta Polska.

Here is their latest response "We apologize for the delay in responding. Each stamp has its own identifier, assigned to the office and employee. They are used for business purposes."

I'm beginning to suspect that there is no rhyme or reason for the selection of a particular code to a specific Post Office. Perhaps the Central Office has a big box of date stamp plugs, a Post Office requisitions a new one for a new employee or to replace one that is worn and out comes the next plug at random and it is signed out to that Post Office or employee.

I haven't given up..this is my latest email to them.

"I think we have a language comprehension problem here.

Your date stamps carry a 2 or 3 letter code as I mentioned previously..LA, or BK and similar codes.

Stamp collectors are strange in that to many of them if they see two envelopes with the same stamp stuck to it, both postmarked/datestamped (for example) LUBLIN on 10 April 2020 but one has the code LA and the second has a code BK, then to those collectors they are two different items.

So I ask the question what is the significance of these letters?, how do you allocate a code LA to a Post Office in Lublin and BK to another Post Office, also in Lublin?. Is there a reason for allocating that code to a specific Post Office, or does Poczta Polska have several thousand date stamp plugs manufactured with different codes and the allocation to a Post Office is random..the first plug out of the box goes to the requisitioning Post Office regardless of the code?

I’m sorry to be so pedantic but as I said, stamp collectors are strange, they want to know the reason behind every mark or comment put upon an envelope.

Thank you for your patience. If you have an English speaker on your staff then he/she can contact me on ……………. (my wife’s phone, she is Polish) and I may be able to explain the situation in more detail.
Graham"

I'll let you know if I receive a response.

This is a great thread Carmel, I enjoy the identification of the Post Office and the historic notes. People frequently forget that as well as the infamous Polish Plumber and similar Polish jokes, Poland has many attractions, being in the centre of Europe and the 'melting pot' of European/Asian cultural clashes from the Chinese (mongol) hordes through to the Roman legions, Christianity, Islamic and similar 'intrusions'.

Worth a visit when we finally escape the lockdown.
PS Heard a few days ago from a colleague that several of his neighbours were each fined 30,000 Zloty for breaching the lockdown- apparently they were standing together in a field discussing next years crop. Don't know if it is true or not but if true...draconian rules, no flexibility.

maszki

Post by maszki »

Just in response to a few comments that have been made, this is one person's opinion of Poczta Polska..

"A bureaucratic nightmare buried under paperwork riddled with illegible stamps and seals, there is no indication that Poland's postal service - Poczta Polska - will be automated or computerised during our lifetimes. There can be no doubt that the post office is one of the most frustrating places to be a foreigner in Poland, as you're guaranteed to not understand a damn thing happening there. Your best ally is the person in line next to you; if there's one person in the room who speaks not a word of English, it's the qualified clerk at the service window. Also, don't expect any signs to feature English translations, though all paperwork has been mystifyingly translated into French (and only French). When you get to the head of that insufferably long queue, don't be surprised to be sent to another or back to the end, paperwork in hand.

…..

With the exception of Central Post Office (ul. Świętokrzyska 31/33, open 24hrs) most post offices close early on Saturday, if open at all, and all will be closed Sunday. Good luck, gringo."

Yes, language is a problem but the situation is not quite as bad as this person wrote; and the details in this thread confirm in part the opening sentence ("A bureaucratic nightmare buried under paperwork riddled with illegible stamps and seals,)

But the situation is vastly improved. The staff at the two Post Offices I go to appear to look forward to my visits but I think that is because of my mangling of the Polish language and the extensive game of charades I engage in to ensure they understand what I want....and some Post Offices are open on Sunday if the Shopping Mall is open (Poland does not currently have Sunday trading)

If anyone wants more information Wikipedia is a good start point..https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poczta_Polska

Rein
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Rein »

Maszki,

As I mentioned in my post on the BANPOL ATM machines there is NO system although some post offices do used the same code for their "underlying" offices. This suggest that you are right in suspecting a grab in the bucket and subsequent distribution.

Do NOT expect from the Post Office to give answers! They simply do not know as there is no system and it doesn't matter that you do not speak or write in Polish!

pozdrawiam, Rein

Rein

Post by Rein »

..and some Post Offices are open on Sunday if the Shopping Mall is open (Poland does not currently have Sunday trading)
The present Government is getting rid of the Sunday trading!

"Nie musi być niedziela handlowa! Kościół wystarczy!"

Why Sunday trading if you can sit in the Church?

maszki

Post by maszki »

Yes Rein, you are quite right. The present government is religiously oriented, as is the bulk of the Polish population, hence its majority in Parliament.

Democracy in action.

With the present lockdown this Sunday closure is meaningless, very few people are out shopping anyway

As to the letter codes I tend to agree with you...totally random and nobody can remember what the basic issue was that led to this situation.

But on the bright side...or the dark side...whichever way you look at it, Carmel has a real problem. Lublin has half a dozen different codes that I have seen so each stamp, just for Lublin, has half a dozen different codes multiplied by the number of stamps issued by the number of post offices multiplied by the different codes allocated to those post office equals mega covers available to collect.

Carmel...don't give up your day job.

AMark

Post by AMark »

maszki,

Did you try asking what the letters, that appear at the bottom of datestamps, mean at your local PO?

If you have a good relationship with a PO clerk they are willing to help you even if they don't know the answer.

I am not sure if this will work in Poland, but here in Canada a friendly clerk can help you out. :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

maszki

Post by maszki »

AMark wrote:maszki,

Did you try asking what the letters, that appear at the bottom of datestamps, mean at your local PO?

If you have a good relationship with a PO clerk they are willing to help you even if they don't know the answer.

I am not sure if this will work in Poland, but here in Canada a friendly clerk can help you out. :)
The short answer is NO

My wife and I are both in total lockdown as we are elderly and are not allowed off our property for any reason...and there are those around us who ring the police if they see a transgression of the lockdown.

When these draconian measures (which I accept by the way) are relaxed I will ask the lovely ladies at the Naleczow post office if they can offer an explanation, but that will not be for another 9 weeks (or more)

maszki

Post by maszki »

Carmel. The response from Poczta Polska is "As we wrote, each stamp has its own identifier, assigned to the office and employee.
So one post office may have several stamps with different markings"

The Post office highlighted in bold lettering that which I have coloured. They use the word 'stamp' to identify the canceller. For some reason I use the term 'plug' but I don't know if that is universally accepted for the device.

So it would appear that the allocation of the letter code is entirely random.

When I finally 'break out' of Maszki I will ask the local PO staff but I don't anticipate a different answer.

AMark

Post by AMark »

maszki wrote:Carmel. The response from Poczta Polska is "As we wrote, each stamp has its own identifier, assigned to the office and employee.

The Post office highlighted in bold lettering that which I have coloured. They use the word 'stamp' to identify the canceller. For some reason I use the term 'plug' but I don't know if that is universally accepted for the device.

When I finally 'break out' of Maszki I will ask the local PO staff but I don't anticipate a different answer.
Posted this on the first page of this thread. :)
AMark wrote:Did a bit of research into the meaning of the letter codes at the bottom of the Polish datestamps. From my understanding, they represent letter identifications of datestamps used at a Poczta Polska branch.

So, in the above example: Koszalin 10 is the 10th Poczta Polska branch in Koszalin and "AL" is the letter id of the datestamp used at branch #10 in Koszalin.

Furthermore, the two letter codes are for datestamps used at PO branches, while the three letter codes (this is a guess) are used at Main Distribution Centers or sorting centers?

Hope this helps!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange

maszki

Post by maszki »

AMark wrote:
maszki wrote:Carmel. The response from Poczta Polska is "As we wrote, each stamp has its own identifier, assigned to the office and employee.

Posted this on the first page of this thread. :)
AMark wrote:Did a bit of research into the meaning of the letter codes at the bottom of the Polish datestamps. From my understanding, they represent letter identifications of datestamps used at a Poczta Polska branch.

So, in the above example: Koszalin 10 is the 10th Poczta Polska branch in Koszalin and "AL" is the letter id of the datestamp used at branch #10 in Koszalin.

Furthermore, the two letter codes are for datestamps used at PO branches, while the three letter codes (this is a guess) are used at Main Distribution Centers or sorting centers?

Hope this helps!
Ok, you were right.

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Information sources on Poland Cancels. Online/literature?

Post by carmel »

Hi everyone,

I hope all is well and everyone is healthy.

I am nearing the end of my first 3 Kg Poland Kiloware bag.

Sadly, I did not take a picture of the original bag. However, here are pictures of the second bag, front and back:

img1314.jpg

img1313.jpg

Cheers,

Carmel

Rein

Post by Rein »

Congratulations!

Pozdrowiena z Niderlandów!

Stay healthy!

Rein

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Rein, I've checked the links out and they appear to be very interesting.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the town of Myszków.

img1319.jpg

Wikipedia says:

"Myszków is a town in Poland, with 31,650 inhabitants (2019). Situated on the Warta river in the Silesian Voivodeship. Myszków historically belongs to Lesser Poland.

Myszków is located along one of the oldest Polish rail lines – the Warsaw–Vienna railway, also, near the town goes another important rail line – the Central Rail Line.

The history of the town called Myszków is very short, and goes back to 1925, when the commune (gmina) of Myszków was created, part of Kielce Voivodeship. It was incorporated as a town in 1950."

Here is a picture (from Wikipedia) of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Myszków:

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Myszków
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Myszków

The CDS reads: 21100917 MYSZKOW 1 *BI*

Here is a close up of the cancel:

21100917 MYSZKOW 1 *BI* CDS
21100917 MYSZKOW 1 *BI* CDS

A bit blurry, but that is what is available.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the town of Bochnia.

Cancel from Bochnia, Poland
Cancel from Bochnia, Poland

Wikipedia says:

"Bochnia (German: Salzberg) is a town of 29,992 inhabitants on the river Raba in southern Poland. The town lies approximately in halfway between Tarnów (east) and the regional capital Kraków (west).

Bochnia is one of the oldest cities of Lesser Poland. Bochnia is most noted for its salt mine, the oldest functioning in Europe, built in the 13th century."

Here are two pictures of the interior of the Bochnia salt mine:

A Salt Statue in the Bochnia Salt Mine
A Salt Statue in the Bochnia Salt Mine
An Underground Church in the Bochnia Salt Mine
An Underground Church in the Bochnia Salt Mine

"At the outbreak of World War II, an estimated 3,500 Jews lived in Bochnia, comprising about 20% of the total population. During the German occupation of Poland, Bochnia was the site of a Jewish ghetto (the Bochnia Ghetto) to which Jews from surrounding areas were forced to move by the Nazis. The entire Jewish community was murdered in the Holocaust apart from 200 forced laborers employed at a plant headed by Gerhard Kurzbach, a Wehrmacht soldier, who ordered them to work overtime and thereby saved them from deportation.

It is estimated that approximately 15,000 Jews were deported from Bochnia, with at least a further 1,800 killed in the town and its surroundings. About 90 Jews from Bochnia survived the war, either in hiding, in camps or in the Soviet Union. Most of them immigrated to the US, Brazil, Belgium, and Israel."

Two pictures of the Town of Bochnia:

The Main Square of Bochnia
The Main Square of Bochnia
The Basilica of St. Nicholas, Bochnia
The Basilica of St. Nicholas, Bochnia

The CDS reads: 020405[XX] BOCHNIA 1*BB*

img1323.jpg

Sadly, a bit blurry, but the important details are visible. If anyone can manipulate the image, or just has better eyes, I would be glad to correct the reading of the cancel.

So this is the cancel of Post Office #1 in the town of Bochnia.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Gdansk.

Cancel From The City of Gdansk, Poland
Cancel From The City of Gdansk, Poland

Wikipedia says:

"Gdańsk (German: Danzig) is a city on the Baltic coast of northern Poland. With a population of 468,158.

The city's history is complex, with periods of Polish, Prussian and German rule, and periods of autonomy or self-rule as a free city state. In the interwar period, owing to its multi-ethnic make-up and history, Gdańsk lay in a disputed region between Poland and Germany, which became known as the Polish Corridor.

The city was officially annexed by Nazi Germany and incorporated into the Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia. About 50 percent of members of the Jewish Community of Danzig had left the city within a year after a Pogrom in October 1937, after the Kristallnacht riots in November 1938 the community decided to organize its emigration and in March 1939 a first transport to Palestine started. By September 1939 barely 1,700 mostly elderly Jews remained. In early 1941, just 600 Jews were still living in Danzig, most of whom were later murdered in the Holocaust...

The Soviet Army, captured the heavily damaged city on 30 March 1945 ... The remaining German residents of the city who had survived the war fled or were expelled to postwar Germany, and the city was repopulated by ethnic Poles.

In the 1980s, Gdańsk was the birthplace of the Solidarity movement, which played a major role in bringing an end to communist rule in Poland and helped precipitate the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact."

Two pictures from the City of Gdansk (also from Wikipedia):
Green Gate, Gdansk
Green Gate, Gdansk
The Arsenal, Gdansk
The Arsenal, Gdansk

The CDS reads: 03011115 GDANSK CER *LE*

Cancel From the Central Post Office, Gdansk
Cancel From the Central Post Office, Gdansk

This cancel is another cancel from a central post office "CER" and it's the first such cancel to have a two letter code rather than a three letter code.

This does not look good for the theory that regular post offices had two letter codes and that central post offices had three letter codes.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the town of Sośnicowice.

Cancels from Sośnicowice, Poland
Cancels from Sośnicowice, Poland

This scan was taken from a complete cover. A registered cover sent in 2010 from Sośnicowice, Poland to Vienna, Austria

2010 cover from Sośnicowice, Poland
2010 cover from Sośnicowice, Poland

Wikipedia says: "Sośnicowice (German: Kieferstädtel) is a town in Gliwice County, Silesian Voivodeship, Poland, with 1,919 inhabitants (2019)."

Virtual Shtetel has this to say:

"Following the plebiscite in Upper Silesia, Sośnicowice remained within the German territory … the last Jew left Sośnicowice in the interwar period. The synagogue was pulled down around 1924. In 1938, there were not any Jews in Sośnicowice. During Kristallnacht, the Germans devastated the local Jewish cemetery."

Here is a view of the central square of Sośnicowice (from Wikipedia):
img1348.JPG

The CDS reads: 09041015 SOSNICOWICE *BI*

Here is a close up of one of the three cancels:

Cancel from Sośnicowice, Poland
Cancel from Sośnicowice, Poland

I assume that this is the sole post office in the small (1,919 inhabitants) town of Sośnicowice.

I have several questions regarding the cover.

The cover has a black hand stamp reading "RECOMMANDE". Is this an official postal marking or is this a private marking added by the sender of the cover?

The cover has two registered mail stickers. What is the purpose of the yellow sticker? It does not have a bar code, or the name of the post office, only a group of vertical black lines.

I am also curious as to the rate applicable to this cover.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from Lubań Śląski - a railway station in Lubań, in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in Poland.

Cancels from Lubań Śląski, Lubań, Poland
Cancels from Lubań Śląski, Lubań, Poland

This scan was taken from a complete cover. A registered priority cover sent in 2004 from Lubań Śląski, Lubań to Kir'on, Israel.

2010 cover sent from Lubań Śląski, Lubań, Poland to Kir'on Israel
2010 cover sent from Lubań Śląski, Lubań, Poland to Kir'on Israel

The cover was franked with four stamps. One 1.10 Zloty stamp from the Polish Manor houses series with the Manor House at Ozarow issued 23.5.97 (Scott 3346 SG 3677). One 1.20 Zloty Torun stamp from the Polish Cities series issued 31.1.03 (Scott 3665 SG 3975d). One horizontal pair of 3.45 Zloty Lublin stamps from the Polish Cities series issued 23.4.04 (Scott 3712 SG 3978b).

The total value of the stamps affixed to the cover was 9.20 Zloty.

Here is a picture (from Wikipedia) of the Lubań Śląski railway station:

Lubań Śląski Railway Station
Lubań Śląski Railway Station

The CDS reads: 19100409 LUBAN SLASKI 1 *BE*

Lubań Śląski cancel dated 19.10.04
Lubań Śląski cancel dated 19.10.04

This cancel raises several issues.

It is unlikely that a train station has more than one post office, so why is the cancel LUBAN SLASKI 1?

Perhaps the numbering of post offices is city wide, and this is post office 1 for the city of Lubań and it also has the distinction of a special name for the specific branch. Perhaps I am completely off track and this cancel is unrelated to this train station?

As far as I have been able to determine, there is no post office located in the Lubań Śląski train station. To further complicate things there are two Lubań 1 post offices in the city of Lubań. A UP Lubań 1 and an FUP Lubań 1, neither of which is in the train station.

A rectangular white sticker with a black ring was affixed to the cover, and an additional cancel was applied to it.

img1352.jpg

Perhaps this was a quality control measure to ensure legible cancels and a means of keeping track of handling information or volumes. The quality of the cancel is certainly much higher than the three other cancels on the cover.

Another question is the rate of the cover.

As can be seen, the registered mail label is not a generic label but a specific label for Lubań Śląski 1.

Any information is appreciated.

maszki

Post by maszki »

Carmel, I cannot answer your question, simply confirm that the Post Office is affixing a small white square on items which are registered (the 2 local delivery letters did not receive the square).

My guess is that this is some form of security attachment to be picked up by their security scans; perhaps chemically treated. The square can be seen to the left and slightly overlapping the minisheet (of which only 17 or 18,000 copies were printed...this is a postally used copy and I can already see a Ferrari at the end of my driveway some time in the future... :lol: :lol: :lol: or should that be :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ?)

Edit. The same handstamp was used for all the postmarks on the envelope. The PO officer was very gentle applying the postmarks to the minisheet but gave the postmark on the square a real wallop (technical term for applied the postmark with force) to make sure the postmark was clearly legible)

In line with your posts, here is the history of the area

GEOGRAPHY
Naleczow is a small town of approximately 4000 inhabitants, located in the Lubelskie Voivodship, 25 km from Lublin and 24 km from Kazimierz Dolny. It is situated in the north-west area of the sandy Lublin Upland, within the Kazimierz Landscape Park and between 180 and 212 m above sea level.

"Outline of Nałęczowa's story
Originally, the village was called Bochotnica. The origins date back to the turn of the 8th and 9th centuries,when a castle was erected on the present Poniatowski Mountain, a hill towering over the surrounding area. Later, the center of the settlement was moved to the hill, where today there is a parish church. In the first half of the 14th century a parish was established in Bochotnica. Also in the same century, the location of the village was made on German law.

On June 23, 1751, these areas belonging to Aleksandr Gałęzowski were purchased by Stanisław Małachowski (wąwolnicki starosta), calling in 1772 the coat of arms worn by his family Nałęcz the entire estate of Nałęczow. After the January uprising, the nałęczowskie goods were bought by Michał Górski. At the beginning of the 19th century, the healing properties of the local waters were discovered; they were used by three doctors – Siberians: Fortunat Nowicki, Wacław Lasocki and Konrad Chmielewski, modernizing at the end of the 19th century already functioning spa with the money of the then owner of Nałęczów – Michał Górski. He created a spa in today's city-garden shape. It was he who made Nałęczów a significant medical and cultural center. The curators were m.in here. Stefan Żeromski, Bolesław Prussia and Henryk Sienkiewicz. In 1963 Nałęczów received city rights."

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%C5%82%C4%99cz%C3%B3w#Zarys_historii_Na%C5%82%C4%99czowa

There are 2 Post Offices (UP 1 and UP 3) . I have never been to UP 3. UP 1 is located on the ground floor of a residential building on ul Lipowa
Image (2).jpg

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The next cancel is from the city of Biała Podlaska.

The cancel is from a cover sent by priority mail in 2009 from Biała Podlaska, Poland to the Netherlands (I can't figure out the city).
2009 Priority Cover from Biała Podlaska, Poland to the Netherlands
2009 Priority Cover from Biała Podlaska, Poland to the Netherlands

The cover was franked with four stamps. One 2.40 Zloty 2009 Christmas stamp (Scott 3969 SG 4408) issued 27.12.09 (Scott has it as issued on 27.11.09) and a vertical strip of three 20 Groszy Sieradz stamps from the Polish Cities series (Scott 3776 SG 3975b) issued 5.10.05.

The total value of the stamps affixed to the cover was 3.00 Zloty.

Biała Podlaska is a city in eastern Poland with 58,047 inhabitants (2005).

Wikipedia says:

"...by 1931, the Jews constituted 64.7% of the total population, or 6,923 out of 10,697 citizens.

On 10 June 1942, some 3,000 Jews including women with children were assembled in the synagogue courtyard. Many Jews fled to the forests. The assembled Jews were led by the German police to the train station. The next day the prisoners were packed into the awaiting deportation trains and sent to Sobibór extermination camp. All were gassed.

The subsequent "deportation actions" conducted by the Nazi German Reserve Police Battalion 101 augmented by the Ukrainian Trawnikis lasted throughout October and November 1942. In total, some 10,800 Jews from around Biała Podlaska and its county were sent to their deaths at the Treblinka extermination camp … or massacred on the spot during roundups.

Only 300 Jews are known to have survived the Holocaust. Most of them left Poland after the war. Apart from Israel, Melbourne in Australia has the largest number of Jewish Biała Podlaska survivors - all now very aged."

Here is a picture (from Wikipedia) of the Church of St. Anne in Biała Podlaska:

St. Anne's Church, Biała Podlaska, Poland, built in 1572
St. Anne's Church, Biała Podlaska, Poland, built in 1572

The CDS reads: BIALA PODALSKA 1 16 12 09 18 *DO*

Here are close ups of the two cancels:

img1355.jpg
img1356.jpg

Note that the date of the cancels, 16.12.2009, is earlier than the date of issue as stated in SG (27.12.2009) and after the date of issue stated by Scott (27.11.09).

The Polish Post site lists five post offices for BIALA PODALSKA 1. One UP located at Plac Wolnoski 9 Biała Podlaska and four FUP post offices with BIALA PODALSKA 1.

Cheers,

Carmel

flip138

Post by flip138 »

Carmel, the Dutch destination city of your last cover is Hengelo.

Phil

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Phil.

Now I know where the cover was headed.

Now to figure out the rates.

Cheers,

Carmel

Rein

Post by Rein »

Carmel,
The cover has two registered mail stickers. What is the purpose of the yellow sticker? It does not have a bar code, or the name of the post office, only a group of vertical black lines.
The yellow sticker is Austrian and has to do with the Registered Mail.

Rein

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Rein.

I should have figured it out. Odd though that the Austrian sticker has no bar code, just a meaningless group of black vertical bars.

Cheers,

Carmel

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”