1933 Sierra Leone KGV £1, is the cancel legit?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

1933 Sierra Leone KGV £1, is the cancel legit?

Post by stallzer »

Was looking at this for a possible purchase but anytime a stamp cats more for used the cancel if not identifiable becomes a question.

Sorry, sellers image is all I can get at the moment.
Attachments
img.axd.jpg
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

thecloudwatcher
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: 1933 Sierra Leone KGV £1, is the cancel legit?

Post by thecloudwatcher »

My gut reaction is that it's a fiscal cancel.

The part of the cancel below 'LEO' of 'LEONE' looks like an armorial device, such as is found quite often in fiscal cancels, and Proud doesn't list any postal cancels with such a narrow spacing between the outer and inner rings (most clearly seen over the 'NE' of 'LEONE').

I would steer clear.

flip138
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by flip138 »

It looks fiscal to me. I think I see SUP... over the 1933 at lower right corner, which would indicate a Supreme Court cancel.

It also appears to have had a pen cancel removed.

wilberforce_pound_fiscal_edPQ.jpg

Phil

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Definitely a fiscal cancel from the Supreme Court of Sierra Leone. The piece illustrated below is currently for sale from SG:

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/products/sierra-leone-1933-sg180-used-3

1933 "Wilberforce" £1 violet and orange, three examples tied to document piece by dumb "SUPREME COURT/SIERRA LEONE cds, with initials and "7. 34" date in MS. Attractive and very rare usage of this iconic high value.

£495.00

1348229.jpg
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Thanks for the replies. Suspicion confirmed. The stamp description simply states “used” and quotes the value as $850 which is correct SG value for commercially used.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

KGVIStamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by KGVIStamps »

I have a simple rule for high value used stamps from that time period. I always assume they were fiscally used unless the cancel proves otherwise. It has saved me a lot of money.

Realistically, most of them were used for that purpose, and there is no reason not to buy one as long as you pay a fair price for it.

I have found a few key words to look for on stamps that might appear to be used postally because they have a CDS.
Stamp Office - on Malaya States stamps is fiscal.

Registrar General - British West Indies is fiscal.

Almost every Bermuda High Value was used fiscally. They had an exit tax and stamps were used as payment.

Anyone have any others they can add?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 07 Jul 2020 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!
Learn more about your stamps at http://www.KGVIStamps.com.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

KGVIStamps wrote:
07 Jul 2020 23:14

Anyone have any others they can add?
The most common is the LAW COURTS NAIROBI on the KUT 1922 KGV up to very high face values.

I sold these here as fiscal cancels the ebay spivs call them "VFU - SG cat Many 100s"

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

KGVIStamps

Post by KGVIStamps »

Here are a couple photo examples of revenue usage for higher value stamps that I mentioned before.
Attachments
Bermuda-10SH.jpg
Trinidad-Pound-RegistrarGeneral.jpg
Perak-$3Rev.jpg
Learn more about your stamps at http://www.KGVIStamps.com.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

A little update on the stamp I posted. At the time of posting the bid was at $13.00 US so I figured it might be worth it. Auction just ended and the final hammer price was $400.00 US. So the auction house didn’t address the cancel in their description.

However, they did quote the value at $850.00 which is the SG value for commercial usage. Someone is going to be upset or someone is going to be disappointed at a later date when they try and sell it.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”