Syrian 1940's (?) stamps. Are they proofs and/or errors?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

TPStonesheep
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by TPStonesheep »

stampQ.jpg

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Syrian 1940's (?) stamps -- are they proofs and/or errors? Any info on identity?

Post by 22028 »

I would call it printers waste...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

TPStonesheep

Re: Syrian 1940's (?) stamps -- are they proofs and/or errors? Any info on identity?

Post by TPStonesheep »

22028 wrote:
08 Jul 2020 03:36
The bottom two may well be printers waste -- what about the top two? Also, do printers waste stamps have any value?

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Kochchi 1948 3P Keralavarma VII Lithograph Printer's Waste

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

Here is an example of printer's waste of Kochchi 1948 3P Keralavarma VII (1870–1948) carmine imperf. lithographs from positions R6/1–3(41–43).

Kochchi 1948 3P Keralavarma VII Lithograph Printer's Waste
Kochchi 1948 3P Keralavarma VII Lithograph Printer's Waste

kenlondon
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by kenlondon »

TPStonesheep wrote:
08 Jul 2020 04:27
do printers waste stamps have any value?
That is an interesting question. How would you define printer's waste? For the purposes of sending a letter through the post, it could be argued that selvedges, traffic lights, printer markings, etc. are not intended to be part of the final product for the unenlightened consumer and are therefore waste. The fact that philatelists gain considerable insight from such elements enhances the value of stamps. So anything that gives further insight into production techniques could be of value and worthy of collecting.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

Post by 22028 »

TPStonesheep wrote:
22028 wrote:
08 Jul 2020 03:36
The bottom two may well be printers waste -- what about the top two? Also, do printers waste stamps have any value?
From this series no imperforated stamps are known, so i still consider it as printers waste, yet, there is a market for it.
Last edited by 22028 on 08 Jul 2020 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: Monetary Value of Printer's Wastes

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

kenlondon wrote:
08 Jul 2020 05:37
TPStonesheep wrote:
do printers waste stamps have any value?
That is an interesting question. How would you define printer's waste? For the purposes of sending a letter through the post, it could be argued that selvedges, traffic lights, printer markings, etc. are not intended to be part of the final product for the unenlightened consumer and are therefore waste. The fact that philatelists gain considerable insight from such elements enhances the value of stamps. So anything that gives further insight into production techniques could be of value and worthy of collecting.
That is not correct.

Printer's wastes are faulty printings of stamps, accidental or experimental, which are supposed to be destroyed by the printer.

Unfortunately these often got smuggled out to feed the philatelic market and hence they have some monetary values to the collectors.

For example, the Kochchi printer's waste posted by me above, was sold at €240 in David Feldman SA Sale dt. Sep 25,2013.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”