Any member own ‘Cancelled by Perkins Bacon’ by Peter Jaffé?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Any member own ‘Cancelled by Perkins Bacon’ by Peter Jaffé?

Post by Global Administrator »

Any member own ‘Cancelled by Perkins Bacon’ Book by Peter Jaffé?

If possible add a scan of the page of listing of this one? I loaned my copy to a client and never got it back. :roll: :roll: :roll:

For most of them, only 4 examples exist, and one of those is usually in Royal Collection, but that is not always the case. Jaffe will have more info and I'd like to read what he says. It seems this is the finest one in collector hands :lol:

NSW 1854-60 6d Diadem Imperforate Plate Proof in Dull Brown without watermark, and with portion of 'CANCELLED' obliteration from Perkins Bacon. Position 6 from the block of 6 of these famous specimens prepared in 1861 for presentation to members of the Hill family. Ex 'Manwood' and Jaffe. Invoiced for $A20,000 at Jaffe sale in 2005, when full SG cat for this was just £5,500. Today SG is 3 times higher at £16,000

Six examples each of the so-called 'Ormond Hill Specimens' were produced by Perkins Bacon for all of 'their' Colonies at the request of Rowland Hill's nephew and gifted to him, action that resulted in the Agent for the Crown Colonies terminating Perkins Bacon's printing contracts.

The 'CANCELLED' handstamp was applied to blocks of 6 that were later separated, often with scissors or a blade, resulting in many of the individual stamps being cut-into or having trimmed perfs on one or more sides. (NB: for NSW no issued stamps were available so plate proofs retained by the printers were utilised of which this is one)

NSW 1854-60 6d Diadem Imperforate Plate Proof in Dull Brown without watermark - Rowland Hill "Cancelled" Specimen
NSW 1854-60 6d Diadem Imperforate Plate Proof in Dull Brown without watermark - Rowland Hill "Cancelled" Specimen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Any member own ‘Cancelled by Perkins Bacon’ by Peter Jaffé?

1004.jpg
1005.jpg
1006.jpg

Form the March 2006 Jaffe sale, he had positions 1 and 2 of the block 6 shown above, as a highly defective pair. Position 5 had almost no margins as can be seen, but was invoiced for the near same figure as the wide margin position #6 version.

Hard to believe these were a joined pair - someone went crazy with the scissors at some point on stamp #5!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Are there any known images of the block before it was broken down into separate stamps?

It seems implausible that the damaged stamp + part of another stamp were positions 1-2 of a block of six in which the last two stamps pictured were positions 5-6 - if this were so shouldn't there be part of a second cancellation on stamp 5?

Or did I misunderstand something?

NSW 6d Cancelled.jpg
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
11 Jul 2020 05:57
Are there any known images of the block before it was broken down into separate stamps?

It seems implausible that the damaged stamp + part of another stamp were positions 1-2 of a block of six in which the last two stamps pictured were positions 5-6 - if this were so shouldn't there be part of a second cancellation on stamp 5?

Or did I misunderstand something?

Agree, it does not look possible at all. :mrgreen:

Which is why I want to see Jaffe's page on this stamp! Jaffe owned these 4 of the 6, and I presume one is in the Royal Collection of the other 2. KGV was very keen on these and assembled examples of most. No idea if the final stamp has survived 164 years? Again, the Book will tell us. :!:

The mutilated one was VERY generously described thus, and I'd guess was badly thinned as well, as appears evident, and even so, was invoiced for $A3,000 in Jaffe sale!

1854 Diadem 6d Plate Proof in Dull Brown on unwatermarked paper, close margins with lower left margin cut-away and re-affixed to right with two portions of \"Rowland Hill\" \'CANCELLED\'. Recorded as positions 1 and 2 in the handbook

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

If these are from the same block of six, I guess these four are from the top and bottom rows of a block of six, two across and three down:

1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6
Nigel

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Yes that makes sense. I don't know why I automatically assumed that it would be a 2x3 rather than a 3x2 block. :oops:
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes me too - had assumed a horizontal block 6! :lol:

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”