Nicaragua stamps, can anyone tell me what these are?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

midas42
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Nicaragua stamps, can anyone tell me what these are?

Post by midas42 »

I found these Nicaragua "stamps" in an album, and after a lot of searching I still can't find any reference to them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Alan Parry
Attachments
Nicaragua 4-set.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 13 Jul 2020 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Nicaragua, can anyone tell me what these are

Post by Philexx »

One or two members collect Nicaragua, so hopefully they will see this question (phrag99 for example) or perhaps a world collector like Kuikka who has an extensive library.

Very basically Nicaragua brought out some Volcano issues around 1900 showing Momotombo. Yours look like proofs. There were several unofficial issues of the volcano stamps in addition to the official ones valid for postal use. I don't have any Nicaragua catalogues so can not unfortunately give any details or note anything on authenticity.

I'm sure you wont have to wait long for the information you need. They are probably all watching the Formula One race :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

Paumerrek
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Paumerrek »

Following. Very interesting stamps.
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

These look like cutouts from stamped envelopes in 1900. You miss two values: 10 and 15 centavos. The set is Senf (1911) #48-53.

phrag99
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Nicaragua stamps, can anyone tell me what these are?

Post by phrag99 »

This is Nicaragua, so it isn't quite that simple!!

These are NOT cut from stationery - look at them and you can see that they are all the same, regular size, resulting from an official release. At one time they were called "newspaper stamps" but there is no evidence that they were ever used for that purpose. One occasionally sees them on cover.

There were, in fact not 6 but 7 of them: 5c 10c 20c 30c 50c squares measuring 55 mm by 52 mm and
2c and 4c measuring 51 mm by 51 mm. I seem to recall that two values were either printed ion 2 types of paper or were printed on different paper to the other 5. They are catalogued by Scotts'.

I don't collect this era, and cannot show the missing values. Sorry.

Edit: I forgot to add that stationery of 1900 does have identical indicia.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Seebecks?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

midas42

Post by midas42 »

phrag99 wrote:
13 Jul 2020 04:16
This is Nicaragua, so it isn't quite that simple!!

These are NOT cut from stationery - look at them and you can see that they are all the same, regular size, resulting from an official release. At one time they were called "newspaper stamps" but there is no evidence that they were ever used for that purpose. One occasionally sees them on cover.

There were, in fact not 6 but 7 of them: 5c 10c 20c 30c 50c squares measuring 55 mm by 52 mm and
2c and 4c measuring 51 mm by 51 mm. I seem to recall that two values were either printed ion 2 types of paper or were printed on different paper to the other 5. They are catalogued by Scotts'.

I don't collect this era, and cannot show the missing values. Sorry.

Edit: I forgot to add that stationery of 1900 does have identical indicia.
Thanks phrag99 for your insight. However, I do not have access to Scotts so have no idea whether these “stamps” have any value. As I said in my introductory post I will eventually be selling my collection, and am trying to figure out if they have any value or whether they will land up in the trash.
Could you expand on your statement “I forgot to add that stationery of 1900 does have identical indicia”. I’m not sure I understand what this means.
Thanks, Alan Parry

Goodwin
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Goodwin »

Please don't put them in the trash! I'm sure someone here will take them, if only for the price of postage.

Mainly collecting GB, working back from QEII. Often side-tracked into Japan, GB-era Hong Kong definitives, Ceylon and Australia pre-decimal.

phrag99

Post by phrag99 »

Just to clarify - these are nothing to do with Nicholas Seebeck who had an arrangement with Nicaragua to producne all philatelic material between 1890 and 1899. In fact, Seebeck had died of TB well before these stamps were produced.

The issues of stamps and postal stationery from 1900 are known as Asenjo's by some, as he was the agent who ensured their production. Although not as famous as Seebeck he continued the tfadition by producing bogus stamps for collectors!

Nicaraguan postal stationery issued in 1900 included cards that had the same design as the stamps that Alan was enquiring about. I am not at home ( my first days away since lockdown commenced) but when I return I will see what I have and post here accordingly.

These stamps are not common but I cannot give you a current valuation. I will make enquieries of my collector friends.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Thanks Phragg99, seems like every time I run across items like this they are Seebecks.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

midas42

Post by midas42 »

Goodwin wrote:
14 Jul 2020 06:52
Please don't put them in the trash! I'm sure someone here will take them, if only for the price of postage.
I wont be putting the stamps in the trash! I have been trolling around the internet and found someone on eBay who is selling one of the stamps for £40. So they are obviously of some value if one can believe eBay.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Remember that on eBay anyone can list an item for whatever they want. That doesn’t mean anyone would actually pay that amount and also doesn’t mean the valuation is accurate. Use the sold feature on the left side to see what people actually paid.

phrag99

Post by phrag99 »

img197.jpg
OK, so here is an item of postal stationery from the vaults with an indicium that matches the stamps in the OP

Contrary to my earlier post, this and others are not postcards but envelopes.

This is addressed to Limon, Costa Rica and is dated September 4th, 1900. I was more interested in the back when I bought this!
Attachments
img198.jpg

midas42

Post by midas42 »

phrag99 wrote:
16 Jul 2020 22:30
ImageOK, so here is an item of postal stationery from the vaults with an indicium that matches the stamps in the OP

Contrary to my earlier post, this and others are not postcards but envelopes.

This is addressed to Limon, Costa Rica and is dated September 4th, 1900. I was more interested in the back when I bought this!
Thanks phrag99. I will call this topic closed from my point of view. When it comes to selling my collection I will offer the stamps at a reasonable price.
Alan Parry

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”