NZ 1923 Restoration of Penny Postage, are these the Cowan?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

NZ 1923 Restoration of Penny Postage, are these the Cowan?

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

New Zealand is always one of those areas I struggle with, especially with the Cowan, Jones and De La Rue papers etc.

Going through an old lot I bought I found these in an envelope labelled SG535 (which now is not in the catalogue)- Are they correctly identified as the Cowan Unsurfaced paper - Now SG462 ?

I think they are correct, they look unsurfaced to me, but I want to check as there are about 25 of them and this catalogues £27 :)

New Zealand 1923 Restoration of Penny Postage
Thanks all
Lundy

KGVIStamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: NZ 1923 Restoration of Penny Postage, are these the Cowan?

Post by KGVIStamps »

It might help if you could post a high resolution scan of the back of the stamps.

There is a note that Cowan paper is similar to the paper used for SG 416/30. So try comparing it to those issues if you have any of them in your accumulation.

Try to use one of the values that was only issued with Cowan paper as your test case. Let us know what you find.
Learn more about your stamps at http://www.KGVIStamps.com.

Lundy

Re: , are these the Cowan?

Post by Lundy »

Thanks KGVI,

so here is the one i think is Cowan alongside a SG428 - the papers look very similar to me albeit a slight difference in colour:

NZ 1923 Restoration of Penny Postage
I think the chalk surfaced have a more polished surface- I have about 5 all similar, which by volume, I assume must be the cheap De la Rue SG460

I am pretty sure my original thought is correct as I notice the Cowan paper is carmine-pink not carmine in colour...

I have to say NZ is a country I struggle with..... mainly due to the papers and watermarks... Found some interesting other bits so perhaps more queries to come!!

Thanks

Lundy :)

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”