Mexico,Hidalgo.Real or fake?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Robustian
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Mexico,Hidalgo.Real or fake?

Post by Robustian »

I’ve stared my self blind soon so i need a second opinion.
Real or fake?

Been looking around but haven’t found anything conclusive.

The print as you see is quite weak.
86A8DC25-8C06-46D0-8825-AEB74E64880E.jpeg
081AD5EC-DB8A-4FCD-9ECE-1FB0A2A7CB3B.jpeg
118E0C39-3B53-49BF-9AD2-0093B9A9F5F4.jpeg
C8C80F66-8E55-4250-A38A-E45098C4D781.jpeg

Robustian

Re: Mexico,Hidalgo.Real or fake?

Post by Robustian »

Took one with white background as well for comparison.
6987990E-431A-48FC-9353-AF04FE3348D2.jpeg

VFND55
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by VFND55 »

I do not have any examples to of the 1861 Hidalgo 4 reales to compare but the Scott catalog states that the reprints are on vertically grained paper and originals on horizontally grained paper.

Your examples appear to be vertically grained paper.

Also, from the book The Stamp Collector – A Guide to the World’s Postage Stamps by Stanley C. Johnson M.A. D.Sc. F.R.E.S. 1920

Large quantities of the first issue which are sold to-day prove to be worthless reprints. Regarding them, Gibbons has this note in his catalogue: " Warning. — Nine- tenths of the 4 and 8 reales of 1856 and 1861 that are offered for sale by dealers are reprints, with or without forged postmarks and district names. The stamps should only be purchased from dealers who have studied these issues.” In another note, the same authority tells us that the reprints are often found on thicker and bluer paper than was used for the originals and that laid (instead of wove) paper has served for these imitations.

Robustian

Post by Robustian »

VFND55 wrote:
17 Sep 2021 03:48
I do not have any examples to of the 1861 Hidalgo 4 reales to compare but the Scott catalog states that the reprints are on vertically grained paper and originals on horizontally grained paper.

Your examples appear to be vertically grained paper.

Also, from the book The Stamp Collector – A Guide to the World’s Postage Stamps by Stanley C. Johnson M.A. D.Sc. F.R.E.S. 1920

Large quantities of the first issue which are sold to-day prove to be worthless reprints. Regarding them, Gibbons has this note in his catalogue: " Warning. — Nine- tenths of the 4 and 8 reales of 1856 and 1861 that are offered for sale by dealers are reprints, with or without forged postmarks and district names. The stamps should only be purchased from dealers who have studied these issues.” In another note, the same authority tells us that the reprints are often found on thicker and bluer paper than was used for the originals and that laid (instead of wove) paper has served for these imitations.
Your thoughts are the same as mine.
Felt that something was off with them.
Good to keep for future reference though.
Thank you very much for input.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”