Federated states of Malaya Stamp - is this a variety?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Anna66
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Federated states of Malaya Stamp - is this a variety?

Post by Anna66 »

Hi

I hope this photo link works cos I'm new to this. Please feel free to roll your eyes and then tell me what to do to make it work.

This stamp came in a small album I recently purchased. I think it is a printing error (top left) as there is no mark on the back in the same place. Can anyone advise? Has anyone seen this fault before? Does this make the stamp more valuable than the normal catalogue price?

D8A7842.jpg

Anna66
Last edited by Global Administrator on 19 Sep 2021 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members, and turned into a question of some kind

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Re: Federated states of Malaya Stamp

Post by CMJ »

Moderator Comment

Anna66,

No eye rolling, just a friendly comment, but...

Since the well-publicised introduction of the new version of the board last year, all images should be uploaded directly to Stampboards which is a very simple process. Images must not be linked to from any external image hosting site(s) or other websites as these then need to be manually converted by the volunteer moderator team.

Here, is a link to a tutorial showing how images should be added.

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards

Thank you. 

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

The top left triangle seems to be part of another stamp (denominated 1c) which someone attached to a damaged 5c stamp.

I don't think it would actually be possible to have a genuine printing error which would look like your stamp.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
19 Sep 2021 01:06

The top left triangle seems to be part of another stamp (denominated 1c) which someone attached to a damaged 5c stamp.

Which will be immediately obvious on a 1 second glance on the back of course.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Anna66

Post by Anna66 »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:

I don't think it would actually be possible to have a genuine printing error which would look like your stamp.
That's what I though at first, so I have looked on the back under a magnifying glass and as advised there is no corresponding line,crease, mark on the back in the same spot. Hence the question.

Anna66

Re: Federated states of Malaya Stamp - is this a variety?

Post by Anna66 »

Thanks for the attachment advice.
Anna66

Anna66

Post by Anna66 »

Global Administrator wrote:
19 Sep 2021 01:10
HalfpennyYellow wrote:

Which will be immediately obvious on a 1 second glance on the back of course.
Here is the back.
Attachments
_D8A7852-Edit.jpg

Margie1148
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Margie1148 »

I ran this through RetroReveal (http://retroreveal.org), and this is what I got:

0000069275_Luv_u(norm_w_2pct,equalized,8-bit)_full.tif

So unlikely a variety. I agree with HalfpennyYellow that it is likely part of another stamp which someone attached (at the front) to a damaged 5c stamp.

Anna66

Post by Anna66 »

Margie1148 wrote:
19 Sep 2021 02:58
I ran this through RetroReveal (http://retroreveal.org), and this is what I got:

So unlikely a variety. I agree with HalfpennyYellow that it is likely part of another stamp which someone attached (at the front) to a damaged 5c stamp.
Sorry I'm new to this what is retro reveal?
I'm guessing someone stuck the 1 over the 5 that was just "rubbed off" on the front without being actually torn.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

From the back it looks like the red(ish) area has been added. That is where the 1 cent part in the corner comes from. From the back it is easy to see that at the left side (right side from back side) of the stamp perforation jumps there. The original stamp had likely a thin and missing corner. If you let light shine through the stamp you might see it is uneven thickness and that funny things may happen with the watermark (should there be one).

Anna66

Post by Anna66 »

kuikka wrote:
19 Sep 2021 04:56
From the back it looks like the red(ish) area has been added. That is where the 1 cent part in the corner comes from. From the back it is easy to see that at the left side (right side from back side) of the stamp perforation jumps there. The original stamp had likely a thin and missing corner. If you let light shine through the stamp you might see it is uneven thickness and that funny things may happen with the watermark (should there be one).
Thanks for the advice - that sounds interesting - will do.

parkgate270160
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by parkgate270160 »

Float it in some water with gum side in the water , and see if the stamp separates into 2 pieces .Robert

Anna66

Post by Anna66 »

parkgate270160 wrote:
23 Sep 2021 05:46
Float it in some water with gum side in the water , and see if the stamp separates into 2 pieces .Robert
Great idea.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Anna66 wrote:
24 Sep 2021 03:51
parkgate270160 wrote:
23 Sep 2021 05:46
Great idea.
Great, except for two things

1) It will destroy the subject you are testing
2) It might not be water soluble glue

I think it looks like a "sliver inset", being a portion of another stamp, suitably trimmed and thinned, and pasted onto the front of the subject.

malaya.jpg
Small sliver, cut to shape

(Note that, at no point does the sliver "touch the purple outer frame", so the repair will appear invisible from the rear)

To check this, non destructively, you need a powerful light source, such as a cyclists LED head torch (from the pound shop), a piece of paper, and the suspect stamp.

cycle_light.jpg
Cyclists LED Head Torch (Elastic Head Band Removed)

Place this face up on the table, and turn it on.
They are very bright, so use a blank sheet of printer paper to make it "intense, but not dazzling".

Then place the stamp over the LED lit spot.

If its a sliver, it will clearly be thicker, and you may see parts of the original design appearing "like a watermark".

I don't have an example to show, (and its too close to dinner to make one :( ),
but here is the other activity you can use this setup for.... checking watermarks on stamps.

natal.jpg
Checking the watermark on a Natal stamp

The principal difference being I scanned the stamp and printed it large, using it as a filter (instead of clear white paper).

So, in essence, "you merely need a strong backlight, to test if you can detect the extra inset piece".

Good luck.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”