Info sought on NZ out of country 'free postage paid' 1930s?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

philatel2
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Info sought on NZ out of country 'free postage paid' 1930s?

Post by philatel2 »

I am trying to find information on "free postage paid" from New Zealand in the 1930s. My particular interest relates to out of country free postage paid.

According to the Northern Advocate, 7th May 1935, individuals who wished to have their New Zealand covers flown across the Tasman Sea by Sir Charles Kingsford Smith from Australia to New Zealand could do this my mailing their items free under cover c/o the GPO Sydney. They were asked to mark the envelope "Postage Paid." It appears that the Sydney GPO would then include the mail items in the bags destined for the flight.

Is anyone able to provide me any information on this process e.g. how it worked, when was it first used for out of country postings etc.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Neil
Last edited by Global Administrator on 24 Sep 2021 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members, and turned into a question of some kind

philatel2

Re: New Zealand out of country free postage paiid 1930s

Post by philatel2 »

This is the newspaper clipping I was talking about. See the last paragraph.
Neil

wwxE5Jr.jpg
Last edited by CMJ on 26 Sep 2021 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Externally hosted image(s) corrected

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Re: Info sought on NZ out of country 'free postage paid' 1930s?

Post by CMJ »

Moderator Comment

philatel2,

Since the well-publicised introduction of the new version of the board last year, all images should be uploaded directly to Stampboards which is a very simple process. Images must not be linked to from any external image hosting site(s) or other websites as these then need to be manually converted by the volunteer moderator team.

Here, is a link to a tutorial showing how images should be added.

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards

Thank you. 

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”