Does anybody collect the Golden Replica type stamps?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kelliegirl33
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Does anybody collect the Golden Replica type stamps?

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Does anybody here collect gold replica stamps?

I know they're not real stamps, and they're not worth any money value...but they sure look good.

British Fairs-- Chipperfields Circus
British Fairs-- Chipperfields Circus
1847 Benjamin Franklin 5c
1847 Benjamin Franklin 5c
Last edited by Global Administrator on 22 Sep 2021 01:25, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members, and turned into a question of some kind and moved to correct Forum, and linked image correctly

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Anybody collect golden replicas

Post by David Smitham »

Sorry Kellie, but no. You may be interested to learn that a good number of countries have issued gold foil stamps! These are supposedly postally valid in their country of issue, but most, I suspect, will never be used as they probably were issued by an agent overseas.

Now try to collect these postally used!!!

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

gregbear61
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gregbear61 »

Out of curiosity - who issued the covers?

They do look good.

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

I don’t collect them but have certainly seen them. They were produced in boatloads during the stamp bubble back in the 1980s by the Postal Commemorative Society and similar outfits and sold to unsuspecting newcomers with the expectation that they would net a handsome return someday. Sadly that day never arrived and those items can now be found for a mere fraction of what they were originally purchased for.

Having said that, if you like them and want to collect them you certainly may and owe no explanation to anybody. You could amass a lot of them for very little money and if they bring you pleasure that’s what the hobby is for. Just be cognizant of the fact that it will be difficult or impossible to sell them later should you ever want to.

I don’t know how large your stamp collector community is in Crockett but if you have the opportunity to visit a stamp show in Houston or Dallas and ask around it wouldn’t surprise me if someone is happy to give you some for free. (Although you likely would have to wait until the next show since dealers won’t normally bring these to shows as there is no profit in them.) Check the Texas Stamp Dealers Association website for dates and locations.

Enjoy,

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

David Smitham wrote:
21 Sep 2021 17:47
Sorry Kellie, but no. You may be interested to learn that a good number of countries have issued gold foil stamps! These are supposedly postally valid in their country of issue, but most, I suspect, will never be used as they probably were issued by an agent overseas.

Now try to collect these postally used!!!

David.
As far as I know some countries, maybe Bhutan and the like, issued postally valid gold foil stamps. But just for clarification the replica stamps produced in the USA anyway are not and never were postally valid.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

chaddy
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by chaddy »

I have been after the GB replicas for the last couple of months. They were issued for every stamp set from 1980 to Xmas 1984. As I don't collect covers, I remove the stamps and add them to my stock book alongside the actual stamp. I have most of the sets now, except :-
SG 1183-86 British Theatre
SG 1253 Economic Summit
SG 1258-62 Royal Mail Coaches
SG 1267-71 Xmas 1984

If anyone has these for sale I would be happy to buy them
STAMPS ARE NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS

Phila-Tourist

Re: Does anybody collect golden replica stamps?

Post by Phila-Tourist »

The covers are pretty indeed, so why not collect them if you can buy them for pennies! Just be aware that all elements except the stamp and postmark are philatelically worthless.

As has been suggested, an advanced and very worthwhile effort would be to collect exotic gold foil stamps on postally used covers. Agency issues or not, they were generally valid for postage and some were actually sold locally. However, many of these stamps have only a gold-coloured, metallic, embossed surface. (Any decent professional printer can work with such raw material.) The surface is not necessarily genuine gold, so it does not look as classy as the real metal.

Another gold item to avoid like the plague are replicas of classical stamps made of actual gold (or silver), much thicker than the paper-thin gold foil. These are not official coins, but private medals. They, too, are pretty to look at but absurdly overpriced. Check the weight and gold content of each item and you often discover they contain maybe 1 gram of gold, but are sold for the equivalent of a half ounce gold coin.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
21 Sep 2021 23:24

Another gold item to avoid like the plague are replicas of classical stamps made of actual gold (or silver), much thicker than the paper-thin gold foil. These are not official coins, but private medals. They, too, are pretty to look at but absurdly overpriced. Check the weight and gold content of each item and you often discover they contain maybe 1 gram of gold, but are sold for the equivalent of a half ounce gold coin.

Some of them are just 1cm in size and a thin 1mm thick! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Australia offered a superb set of 25 different they sold for $100 each, 30 or 40 years back. 8-)

Really THICK, polished silver proofs exact size of issued stamps - Sterling silver and 24 carat gold plated.

I bought some that I am selling for $A45! ($US30) Superb looking things all in original packaging.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77945

Image.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

Very nice to look at. Minting quality just like a proper coin.

Not a good investment, though. A stamp-sized piece of silver, 2 mm thick, is probably the weight of a medium-sized circulation coin, so 10 grams maybe? The 1 square cm, 1 mm midgets you mentioned probably weigh 2 grams. Silver is worth 22 US$ per ounce (31 g) today.

(I will now shut up and stand in a corner for a while, embarrassed, while crying over thousands of $ "invested" in dead stock of pre-euro western European MNH stamps of the 1970s to 1990s...)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well if you think this massive thing has the same weight and size of a ''medium sized circulating coin'' you are of course entitled to your opinion. :)

And last time I looked coins were circular - containing a TON lot less bullion than anything square. :mrgreen: :idea:

BoerWargoldreplica-1.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The presentation of these gold/silver replicas can be superb. Yes they charged a fortune to original buyers, but buying on the secondary market makes them just as attractive. :D

I put this into stock this week, in a superb satin silk and velvet lined hard library/coffee table box - own your own USA 24c Inverted Jenny in BULLION!

"THE WORLD'S GREATEST AIRMAIL STAMPS” Superb Sterling Silver Proofs: The International Society of Postmasters superb production, comprising 25 stamp-sized Sterling Silver ingots, classily displayed in a silk and velvet lined hard and expensive hard presentation case with metal clasps. Superbly engraved and produced, high grade proof impressions of the CLASSIC Airmail issues from the inverted Jenny down. Ingots weight is 343 grams alone - over a third of a KILO, so silver melt value is clearly many $100s alone! Cost original buyer several times this. $A565 or about $US400 (Stock 836LA)

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

gregbear61 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 17:54
Out of curiosity - who issued the covers?

They do look good.
They were in my grandfather's collection...came from Kenmore stamp company. I've got 3 albums full of them. Golden replicas of US classic stamps, golden replicas of British stamps, and golden replicas of US 1984 Olympics.

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

chaddy wrote:
21 Sep 2021 18:29
I have been after the GB replicas for the last couple of months. They were issued for every stamp set from 1980 to Xmas 1984. As I don't collect covers, I remove the stamps and add them to my stock book alongside the actual stamp. I have most of the sets now, except :-
SG 1253 Economic Summit
SG 1267-71 Xmas 1984

Too bad you don't need x-mas of 1983..lol
Attachments
X-mas 1983
X-mas 1983

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

Global Administrator wrote:
22 Sep 2021 01:13
Ingots weight is 343 grams alone - over a third of a KILO, so silver melt value is clearly many $100s alone! Cost original buyer several times this. $A565 or about $US400 (Stock 836LA)[/i][/size][/i]

So worth US$ 246 melt value, if it is pure silver.

Bugbuster
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Re: Does anybody collect the Golden Replica type stamps?

Post by Bugbuster »

Kelliegirl, I have a dozen or so of these that you can have if you want them. I don't really collect covers so they are just in a box with other random items that I acquired over the years.

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

I don't really collect them. They were in my inherited collection...and there are quite a few. I was just wondering about them being I never saw anybody posting about them. I now know why. But thank you anyways 😎

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

chaddy wrote:
21 Sep 2021 18:29
SG 1253 Economic Summit
SG 1267-71 Xmas 1984

Chaddy...I found these ...if you want them, let me know...
IMG_20211003_163025011~2.jpg
IMG_20211003_163103732~3.jpg
IMG_20211003_163411447~2.jpg
IMG_20211003_163529790~2.jpg
IMG_20211003_163623452~2.jpg

kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Chaddy..I found these too..if your interested..
IMG_20211003_165818638~2.jpg
These are all 1984
These are all 1984

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”