What was postage rate on this 2021 cover from USA?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

What was postage rate on this 2021 cover from USA?

Post by satsuma »

Recently I received a purchase from the states in this cover:

cover from USA
cover from USA

There are 5 20¢ Barrymore stamps, 2 20¢ Hoban stamps, and 12 25¢ Flag stamps; all totalling $4.40.
Then there are 18 USA Forever stamps, 3 domestic eagle stamps and 6 domestic earth from space stamps.

So what was the actual amount of postage charged?

The shipped weight is stated to be 12 ounces and the goods stated to be commercial sample, philatelic literature.

Is there some sort of rule of thumb which can be generally used in such examples?

This is for my interest only, I have no issue with the vendor.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: What was postage rate on this 2021 cover from USA?

Post by Global Administrator »

My first hunch is the postmaster at Arnold Maryland 21012, should cancel his outgoing mail.

And I'll take a bet the Forever FLAG issues that Country Stamp Center is using, are the China produced fakes that FakeBay has been awash with for the last few years at half face or less.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Number-O-Ne

Re: How to work out postal rates when forever and internal stamps are used?

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Forever stamps count as current value, ie 58 cents today.

Example: An international first class letter ($1.30) can be paid with one international stamp, or two forever stamps (58 cents each) and additional stamps for 14 cents.

"Alphabet" stamps without forever are of fixed denomination as follows:

E: 25 c

C: 20c

Quoting from a Google search:
USPS Domestic Mail Manual states all nondenominated stamps are valid on international mail except for those with special service inscriptions.

152.2.d. Nondenominated postage stamps (except for those that bear uniquely domestic markings, such as First-Class Presort, Bulk Rate, Presorted Standard, or Nonprofit Organization) may be affixed to postal items that are sent to foreign countries. The value of such stamps is linked to either a current or a former domestic rate (e.g., the "H" stamp has a postage value of $0.33). Since the international postage rates are always higher than the comparable domestic postage rates, mailers who affix a single nondenominated postage stamp to their outbound mailpieces must add additional postage to comply with the international rate schedule. Note: The nondenominated Breast Cancer Research semipostal stamp, which has a postage value that is equivalent to the domestic rate for a 1-ounce letter, may be used for international mailing purposes.
Last edited by Number-O-Ne on 22 Sep 2021 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Obviously a "cheapo", but nothing illegal. Perfectly valid stamps.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Global Administrator wrote:
22 Sep 2021 14:53
Number-O-Ne wrote:
22 Sep 2021 14:50

Perfectly valid stamps.
Really? :roll:

https://nypost.com/2018/05/16/i-tried-to-warn-usps-about-this-counterfeit-operation/
I can't look at the picture in question and tell counterfeit forever stamps. I assume these are original, and simply respond about procedure. In that case, the use of forever stamps for international mail is perfectly legal. The answer to the question on the heading is a simple arithmetical calculation.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Yes, thanks everybody.

Once you know the current equivalent rates for forever stamps and E class and C class domestic stamps the calculation is simple.

Likewise, if you know domestic stamps are valid for use on outbound international shipments.

So $4.40 plus the forevers $10.44 plus $1.50 for the Es and $0.60 for the Cs.

So $16.94 in total. An unusual amount.

Interestingly the route was Maryland, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, Auckland. I was a bit surprised by the transit through Japan.

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

My quick calc puts the stamps at $14.44 that would have cost $12.20 (1st class large no value envelope), according to the USPS website.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

The cover was mailed on 21 August.
Postage rates increased on 29 August. At the time the cover was mailed, a forever stamp counted as 55c

55 x 18 = $9.90

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”