Monthly Cover Exchange Questions, Concerns, etc…

Seek exchange partners here. List what you broadly have to exchange, and what you'd ideally like in return. No charge - totally **FREE** for stampboards members to use to use. Or GIVE away your spares. Try it out today!

Moderators: AMark, Canada stamper, Volunteer Moderator Team

Dannick
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Monthly Cover Exchange Concerns, Questions, etc…

Post by Dannick »

Ah okay, so I guess there may be some delay in sending out covers if you have to buy the required sets from somewhere?
Favourite stamp collecting themes: Modern Architecture (post 1900), Ferns, Birds, Modern Trains, Modern Shipping, Industry, Cotton, Running Favourite postcard collecting themes: Modern Architecture (post 1900)

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

Dannick,

Yes, sometimes there could be a delay. But for the most part, members ask for current issues which shouldn't be difficult to obtain.
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Dannick

Post by Dannick »

Thanks Amark. That's cleared things up for me.
Favourite stamp collecting themes: Modern Architecture (post 1900), Ferns, Birds, Modern Trains, Modern Shipping, Industry, Cotton, Running Favourite postcard collecting themes: Modern Architecture (post 1900)

Right28
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Right28 »

AMark wrote:Just amended Rule #3 of the Cover Exchange.
Hello AMark,

Is the stiffener also a requirement for registered letters?

Thank you.
Stamps are like small portraits hung on wall-like envelopes.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Right28 wrote:
AMark wrote:Just amended Rule #3 of the Cover Exchange.
Hello AMark,

Is the stiffener also a requirement for registered letters?

Thank you.
Right28,

Yes, if it's part of an exchange.

Thank you.
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

AMark

Post by AMark »

Important Rule Changes for the monthly Cover and Postcard Exchanges.

New Rules are:

1. Stampboards member for 60 days.

2. Minimum 60 posts made on Stampboards.

The changes are effective as of March, 2015.

AMark

Post by AMark »

I think it's time to ask you guys, the cover exchange participants, your opinion about the exchange.

I want to know if there is anything that you guys would like to see improved, changed, added, subtracted, etc...

So, please let me know.

Thank you.

erthur
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by erthur »

Some possible themes:
Sport, Christmas, Definitives, Self Adhesive only, Solo franking usage.....we'll soon know if the interest for such an exchange exists.[/quote]

I prefer the Solo franking usage paying the correct postal rate from one country to another. Covers with multiple issues which pay way in excess of the correct rate are in my opinion purely "Philatelic".

Regards,
erthur

AMark

Post by AMark »

I think that the exchange is fine just the way it is, i.e., no monthly themes. Participants decide which stamps they will receive on incoming covers. No one is asked to comply with a monthly theme.

Thanks for you input erthur.

Dannick

Post by Dannick »

AMark wrote:I think that the exchange is fine just the way it is, i.e., no monthly themes. Participants decide which stamps they will receive on incoming covers. No one is asked to comply with a monthly theme.

Thanks for you input erthur.
I agree. I always ask my exchange partner if they'd like any theme in particular anyway - I'm happy to try and fulfill all requests - I don't always managed to though :(

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by vicaf60 »

I'mof the same opinion as Dannick. The system wors quite well, and you can always agree on the stamp themes to send and receive, and other 'parameters' (solo or multi franking, exact rates, etc.). Limiting to some definite theme for a monthly exchange will reduce the number of participant, for sure.
The main theme is, in my eye, not to be too stubborn in going aftter your collecting goals (thematic, I mean). We all must clearly understand that some thematic stamps may be not (readily) available in some countries, and should always try to find an alternative. E.g. I would have failed to find stamps on golf, or cricket, or something like that, here in Belarus, if had been asked for, while I can't be waiting to always receive Olympic stamps on covers to me, just because previous issued are not available through post outlets, and the new ones are only to be issued :)
Last edited by vicaf60 on 29 Sep 2015 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

vicaf60 wrote: The main theme is, in my eye, not to be too stubborn in going aftter your collecting goals (thematic, I mean). We all must clearly understand that some thematic stamps may be not (readily) available in some countries, and should always try to find an alternative
I totally agree with that point, I always try to provide a fairly wide range of themes, for example Military but also Fauna, history etc. Just limiting it to one theme, say space (just an example!), can be very difficult and puts you off because it is often so much trouble to source certain types of stamps in some countries. If providing themes provide multiple or always add "but anything else will do too" or similar. Or just make it a rule. That may get some people put off by some requests back in, and add new members. Just a thought and agreeing with Vicaf60.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

The things you learn when you finally get around to reading this thread after several months of exchanging covers here!

You can actually buy envelopes made of tissue paper? Seriously? Why the heck would anybody even make envelopes made of less than sturdy material.

And I should be opening ALL the covers I receive if only to remove the potentially toxic stiffener? Who knew? Not me?!

(BTW: if I send a cover exchange partner some extra stamps I always let them know either on the envelope or via email).

So if someone sent me stamps in a cover but didn't let me know as a surprise now you know why I haven't thanked you! Apologies. :shock:

Curious about a few preferences members may have in cover exchanging:

Do most prefer legal size envelopes (I don't care about the size and actually like smaller ones because they fit in a plastic postcard size sheet nicely in my album).

Do most prefer exact correct postage rate, like AMark? (I don't really care) or if there is a set of say, four stamps, that exceeds the postage rate would you like them all on one cover ( I would, but because I can't always afford it I don't run around putting, for example, a set of eight stamps on one cover even if they will fit. But four, sure, I will do that).

I'm a little surprised we don't often swap used dupe stamps inside the covers. For instance, I would love to swap recent on or off paper issues with members from their country for some of mine or another country I may have lots of dupes from. Say 25 or 50 at a time? I've suggested it a couple of times, but didn't get a response from an exchange partner.

No big deal, but I'm curious why it's not customary to so that!

Input please.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to AMark and the exchange partners I've had so far.

I've never really been disappointed with what I have received and it is clear many exchange partners put a lot of thought into what they send.

The questions above are meant to make exchanges from my end even better with partners to come.

Thanks!
My address has changed and is available upon request.

I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool.

Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

britjag wrote:The things you learn when you finally get around to reading this thread after several months of exchanging covers here!

You can actually buy envelopes made of tissue paper? Seriously? Why the heck would anybody even make envelopes made of less than sturdy material.

And I should be opening ALL the covers I receive if only to remove the potentially toxic stiffener? Who knew? Not me?! Hmmm, missed that too :roll: I tend to open some 50% of those received.

(BTW: if I send a cover exchange partner some extra stamps I always let them know either on the envelope or via email).

So if someone sent me stamps in a cover but didn't let me know as a surprise now you know why I haven't thanked you! Apologies. :shock:

Curious about a few preferences members may have in cover exchanging:

Do most prefer legal size envelopes (I don't care about the size and actually like smaller ones because they fit in a plastic postcard size sheet nicely in my album). Again I don't mind, I'm easy :D I will try to remember your preference though

Do most prefer exact correct postage rate, like AMark? (I don't really care) or if there is a set of say, four stamps, that exceeds the postage rate would you like them all on one cover ( I would, but because I can't always afford it I don't run around putting, for example, a set of eight stamps on one cover even if they will fit. But four, sure, I will do that). I don't mind really, I like both :D

I'm a little surprised we don't often swap used dupe stamps inside the covers. For instance, I would love to swap recent on or off paper issues with members from their country for some of mine or another country I may have lots of dupes from. Say 25 or 50 at a time? I've suggested it a couple of times, but didn't get a response from an exchange partner. I have swapped small amounts before now, usually mint for mint and on request. If someone asks I am happy to oblige and enjoy getting something in return. I guess people concentrate on the other swap threads for that

No big deal, but I'm curious why it's not customary to so that!

Input please.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to AMark and the exchange partners I've had so far. Yes I agree, thanks Mark for all the work and of course to all my exchange partners. I always love receiving the covers and postcards. :D

I've never really been disappointed with what I have received and it is clear many exchange partners put a lot of thought into what they send.

The questions above are meant to make exchanges from my end even better with partners to come.

Thanks!

AMark

Post by AMark »

britjag wrote:Do most prefer legal size envelopes (I don't care about the size and actually like smaller ones because they fit in a plastic postcard size sheet nicely in my album).
My preference is for a smaller envelope, A6 or A7 (North American standard sizes). But if I want a souvenir sheet on a cover a larger envelope is required, A8 or A9.
britjag wrote:Do most prefer exact correct postage rate, like AMark?
Yes, I do prefer correct postage on covers that I am receiving. If the correct rate is 85¢ cents and I am asking for a $5 stamp to be used on a cover, it looks contrived to me. I am sure that a $5 stamp can find a better use.
I'm a little surprised we don't often swap used dupe stamps inside the covers. For instance, I would love to swap recent on or off paper issues with members from their country for some of mine or another country I may have lots of dupes from. Say 25 or 50 at a time? I've suggested it a couple of times, but didn't get a response from an exchange partner.
Sometimes, collectors don’t want to exchange because they collect specific themes and might not want random stamps. Or, they just want to exchange covers. But you should continue asking your exchange partners, if they want to exchange recent used stamps, because some might say yes. I can't remember, did you ask me?

britjag

Post by britjag »

Not sure I did ask you about swapping dupes, AMark. I should have done. I have all sorts of holes in my Canada collection!

I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Would you guys be interested in doing a Cover and/or Postcard Pay it Forward?

The idea would be to mail anonymously a cover or a postcard to a member that is interested in participating in this. The initial sender would select one member from the participant list, do a little research to see what this person likes and mail the cover or postcard. Once the cover or postcard arrives, the recipient will select another person and mail a cover or a postcard, and so on…

Regarding addresses, I think most cover and postcard exchange participants have other member’s addresses from previous exchanges. If not, I think I will be able to help. Furthermore, if there is a new participant he or she can email their address to me.

If there is enough interest in this, I can set up a thread for this.

Please let me know what you guys think.

britjag

Post by britjag »

Yes!

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Yep!

Only problen I see is the lack of entrants in the monthly postcard exchange. That could lead to similar problems in the new idea. It's a shame more members dont take part in that.

henrik_rrb
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by henrik_rrb »

Sounds like a fun idea, Mark! Count me in!

Girish Vaidya

Post by Girish Vaidya »

I think it is a nice idea and am willing to join the line!!

Girish Vaidya
actors/films/cinema/Authors/artists/theater/composers/entertainment

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

Count me in Mark. Sounds like fun :D

One Q, I have addresses of about 20 or so members. I think that limits my scope for mailing. How do we get the addresses of all the participants who have signed up?

Cheers!
Nordic Countries Recent Issues [Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland] and Thematic Meters
My Wishlist :: My Swaplist

AMark

Post by AMark »

Philexx wrote:Yep!

Only problen I see is the lack of entrants in the monthly postcard exchange. That could lead to similar problems in the new idea. It's a shame more members dont take part in that.
Hi George,

It will probably be a Cover and Postcard Pay it Forward thread, not two separate threads. The sender will decide, based on the receives preferences, whether to mail a cover or postcard.
Bijoy wrote:Count me in Mark. Sounds like fun :D

One Q, I have addresses of about 20 or so members. I think that limits my scope for mailing. How do we get the addresses of all the participants who have signed up?

Cheers!
Hi Bijoy,

If you don't have an address of a participant that you wish to mail a cover or postcard to, please contact me and I will be ably to help you. :D

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

Mark, that will be perfect. :D
Nordic Countries Recent Issues [Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland] and Thematic Meters

mdhewitt

Post by mdhewitt »

The pay-it-forward swap sounds interesting. I'd give it a go. As for some of the older comments, although I have my themes, any new or recent release works for me. I do prefer smaller covers that fit in the pockets of my album sleeves, but I am more than grateful for any cover received regardless of size.

As a relatively new collector, I don't have the luxury of a large variety of stamps to use as postage other than the recent releases. That makes it more difficult for matching some themes, as well as the fact that I'm limited to the themes the USPS is featuring/selling at the moment. I just hope my recipients understand that.

As far as "tissue paper" envelopes, I'm wondering if that wasn't meant as a literal description, but more of a reference to cheap, thin envelopes, which I have undoubtedly been guilty of using, because like anything else, there is a learning curve to this. When I first started I used whatever envelopes I could buy off the shelf of my local stores. I now have sourced some nicer A6 size envelopes to use, but I have to order them over the internet because there are no stationery stores in my area that I know of. Maybe that's what the rest of you already do, but it was all new to me.

Just my 2¢ ...
Many thanks!
Mike

Collecting USA Mint and Used; World; Topical interests: Baseball, Fly Fishing, Fishing Flies, Sport Fish, National Parks FDCs, and Pictorial Cancels. Current Want Lists: Baseball; Fly Fishing/Fish

AMark

Post by AMark »

A note to all the participants of the monthly cover and postcard exchanges.

Some of our images found on the Cover Exchange Group - Scans Thread Only and on the Postcard Exchange - Scans Thread Only are not being displayed.

If your images on those threads are not showing, please copy them to your imgur account from your Photobuckt account. Once you have done so, please add a post here that you want to edit your posts. We will try to rescue every image. :)

Thank you!

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Thanks Mark.

I have downloaded all my images from PB and stored safely on my computer.

Whenever the thread is transferred over I will start re-embedding my images.

Cheers
Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

Though I had used PB briefly when Imgur was down, the PB linked images still appear in the posts. I guess, members with high volume of images stored in PB are the ones affected.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

You may be right Bijoy. I had about 1200 images over 8 to 9 years so not a lot really.

I think everyone will be cut at some point.
Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

john6625

Post by john6625 »

The Cover Exchange Image thread can now be found over here at the Ransom Forum

http://www.stampboards.com/viewforum.php?f=65

May be for a while.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Thank you John for taking on the task of restoring images in the Cover Exchange Images thread.

Guys,

Can we please get a few more volunteers?

If you can only spare an hour or two, that's fine. I know that most have jobs, family, etc., but all of us enjoy this visual hobby and we do devote our time to it. I can only do a couple of hours of editing and that is it. If I had all the free time in the world, I would be doing this until my eyes fell out. :mrgreen:

So, pick a thread that is not too large or it might be overwhelming at first. Or pick a thread that interests you and let us know.

Cheers!

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

I will be helping out some more Mark, will be mostly evenings though.

AMark

Post by AMark »

George,

I know that that you have been doing your part. :D

Thank you so much!

john6625

Post by john6625 »

The cover image thread is now de-photobucketed and should be back in the correct forum shortly.

A huge thanks to all who helped especially George (Philexx).

It was a nice surprise to meet in the middle. :D

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

john6625 wrote:The cover image thread is now de-photobucketed and should be back in the correct forum shortly.

A huge thanks to all who helped especially George (Philexx).

It was a nice surprise to meet in the middle. :D
Thanks John, I was glad to help :D :D

AMark

Post by AMark »

Due to recent developments on the, April 2018 Cover Exchange Participant List, I had to make an adjustment to Rule #3.

The old rule did not specify whether current stamp issues had to be used on covers mailed between participants. I did not think that it was necessary. Most, if not all exchanges used stamps that were agreed upon or that were issued in the year of the exchange. But there will always be exceptions. As a result, I had to make a small adjustment.

This is the Old Rule #3

3. Agree to use Commemorative stamps on mailed covers and place a stiffener inside each cover. A stiffener can either be a piece of card (something like a card from a cereal box) or several pieces of paper folded to fit inside an envelope.

New Rule #3

3. Agree to use current Commemorative stamps (unless, participants decide otherwise) on mailed covers and place a stiffener inside each cover. A stiffener can either be a piece of card (something like a card from a cereal box) or several pieces of paper folded to fit inside an envelope.

Your thoughts, please.

britjag

Post by britjag »

Sounds reasonable to me. Appreciate the clarification.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Indeed, sounds good to me, thanks Mark.

Rosmarie
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Rosmarie »

Hi everybody

Well, in Switzerland newbies are expected to be a little bit reluctant with comments and they should first listen before they talk.

However, I need to post a lot - at least 60 - for qualifying for many of the activities. Therefore I post until everybody knows Vitus, my beloved dog :D

Now, in 2014 you asked for 20/20 for joining in the monthly exchange and since 2015 it's 60/60.

I am wondering a little bit: you make participation in this monthly swap a big priviledge. But then, as I noticed, in May 2018 you had only 6 pairs of swappers and in the months before the number of participants wasn't much higher.

So why making something a priviledge when only few are really interested? No critics - rules are rules - I am just wondering...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

AMark wrote:Due to recent developments on the, April 2018 Cover Exchange Participant List, I had to make an adjustment to Rule #3.

The old rule did not specify whether current stamp issues had to be used on covers mailed between participants. I did not think that it was necessary. Most, if not all exchanges used stamps that were agreed upon or that were issued in the year of the exchange. But there will always be exceptions. As a result, I had to make a small adjustment.

This is the Old Rule #3

3. Agree to use Commemorative stamps on mailed covers and place a stiffener inside each cover. A stiffener can either be a piece of card (something like a card from a cereal box) or several pieces of paper folded to fit inside an envelope.

New Rule #3

3. Agree to use current Commemorative stamps (unless, participants decide otherwise) on mailed covers and place a stiffener inside each cover. A stiffener can either be a piece of card (something like a card from a cereal box) or several pieces of paper folded to fit inside an envelope.

Your thoughts, please.

Mark .. only just saw this, and it might already be implemented? If so my fault. :mrgreen:

I agree CURRENT commems in a ideal world is perfect. And DEFINS I really hate getting - some countries allegedly only use those foreign mail - seems odd.

Many here buy collections and lots under face etc to use for collector mailings. There are superb Commem sets from 2008, or even 1998, from every country, that I am sure many would be delighted to get on mailings?

Maybe it could be tweaked a tad -

3. Agree to use current Commemorative stamps ideally ......

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Glen,

Use of current issues on covers posted to exchange partners should be common sense, but apparently common sense is not so common. By current issues I mean anything released within the last year.

Furthermore, I have added a "Get out of jail free card" for anyone wishing to receive anything they desire on their cover/s. But both exchange partners should agree to what will be sent on their covers.

To be a little more clear about current issues, I can add this to the rule:

3. Agree to use current Commemorative stamps issued within the last year (unless, participants decide otherwise) ...

AMark

Post by AMark »

Rosmarie wrote:Hi everybody

Well, in Switzerland newbies are expected to be a little bit reluctant with comments and they should first listen before they talk.

However, I need to post a lot - at least 60 - for qualifying for many of the activities. Therefore I post until everybody knows Vitus, my beloved dog :D

Now, in 2014 you asked for 20/20 for joining in the monthly exchange and since 2015 it's 60/60.

I am wondering a little bit: you make participation in this monthly swap a big priviledge. But then, as I noticed, in May 2018 you had only 6 pairs of swappers and in the months before the number of participants wasn't much higher.

So why making something a priviledge when only few are really interested? No critics - rules are rules - I am just wondering...
Hi Rosmarie,

The 20/20 rule had to be changed, to the current 60/60, because some were taking advantage of members generosity. In 60 days members will get to know you and you will get to know others, as well. :D You will be able to exchange stamps, covers, etc., with confidence and others will be able to do the same when exchanging with you. :D

The monthly cover exchange participation goes through cycles. Some months will have ten exchange pairs while other months will have less. I don't think that the 60/60 rule has an affect on this fluctuation. Members choose to stay out of the exchange for various reasons: vacations, work commitments, other interests, funds, etc...

Thanks for your questions.

varunpaul
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by varunpaul »

Hi this thread was good and informative to myself being a NEWBIE.

Hello everyone.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know or have seen, our cover exchange participant numbers have been declining. From March 2019, we have been averaging 10 participants per month. Prior to March (until July 2018) it has been around 14 participants per month. Before July 2018, participation varied between 16 and 20 per month. There are of course seasonal variations, with spring and late autumn bringing lower numbers, but not always. These numbers however have usually picked up to the 20 participants per month, before the decline. This time, we have been well below the 20 participants per month for a while. In fact, last time that we were close to 20 participants was in February 2018 and at that time it was 18 participants.

I don’t know what the reason for this is, but I can only speculate. That is, for some it might be too much to spend on new issue every month or it’s an increase in postal rates, which means that participation is not in their budget. For others, it might be lack of variety (i.e. not many covers from different countries) or it’s something new and they want to try it but after they try it they come to the conclusion that it’s not for them. It also might be a combination of a number of reasons, that were mentioned above, plus others.

So, I am only speculating as to the reasons why we are having such low participant numbers. I need your help to make the cover exchange work. I do try to give everyone an equal opportunity to get covers from different countries every month. It does become a challenge when there are low participant numbers. But still, I am trying to pair everyone up with someone different each month.

I really don’t want the cover exchange to dwindle down to two participants, see the June 2019 postcard exchange (that is another issue which I will have to address at a different time).

Anyway, I have to ask this question: Is there any other better way of receiving current issues on covers?

Here is my answer to that question.

First, you know where your cover is coming from. Second, you can ask for specific stamps that fit your collecting interests. Last, the stamps that you will receive on your cover will be hand cancelled. Is there anything better?

Please let me know your thoughts. That is, you can post your answers directly in thread or if you choose to remain anonymous send me an email.

Thanks!

Kennethsequeira
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Hi Mark,

Your concerns are valid.. For me - I don't have a lot of new items to spare.... UAE Post issues 10 -12 sets year. So apologies to partners in advance. I try to get partners whatever they want but some want lists get sold out its tough to get them later.. Some partners have already got those stamps from me on normal routine exchange. I can't even offer thematic ones later,

We are not getting new members to join us... May be some incentive for new members. I can try to offer free MNH from UAE or Middle East for 1st time new joiner for a particular month.

May be lot of partners from a particular country is also not helping... No offense guys but just root causing why ppl are not joining, I may be wrong.

May be could we get ppl to commit for a 12 month... not sure how that would work....
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Kenneth,

First, I want to thank you for your response. :D

You don't have to apologize for UAE's low number of issues. That's something that you can't control. I know that some exchange participants want a mint copy of the stamp that they are getting on a cover. Perhaps, you can offer that to your exchange partner?

Giveaways are fine, but I think it's better to have someone new join because they want to join and not because they are getting things for free. Will they stay if there are no freebies?

Something that was recommended by John was that if we get to 5 or less participants, each participant would mail a cover to everyone that has joined. But let's hope that we will not get to 5 or less participants per month.

Another idea by John was to have one (one out of three or whatever the number of covers that are being exchanged) purely commercial cover. A cover that would not have to be hand cancelled. The reason behind this idea is that it might be difficult to get a hand cancel in some countries (UK as an example), which might be a reason why someone from the UK is not joining.

What I would really like to know or hear from, is participants that were involved in the exchange in the past and have left. Why did they leave? Why are they not coming back?

I will mention this again, you can post your answers directly in thread or if you choose to remain anonymous send me an email.

Thank you guys!

Kennethsequeira

Post by Kennethsequeira »

I like John’s idea of 5 or less partcipants.

Next week I’m going to mail atleast 5 SB members who are not been regular exchange partners to join or find out why they are avoiding it
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

AMark

Post by AMark »

Kennethsequeira wrote:Next week I’m going to mail atleast 5 SB members who are not been regular exchange partners to join or find out why they are avoiding it
Thank you Kenneth! :D

It will be interesting to know the reasons, if you get any.

Henrik has sent me another idea. It's an expansion of the what was proposed by John, but applied to our current cover exchange.

Each month, every participant would be assigned to a group of 3 or 4 participants (group sizes will be based on the number of participants for that month). Each person in the group would mail a cover or two (number of covers mailed to each participant will be determined by individual participants via email) to all the participants in his/her group.

To give you guys an example of how the exchange groups might look like, I will use this month's exchange list.

This is the August cover exchange list:

henrik_rrb Sweden - Arakan USA
Kennethsequeira UAE - Bijoy India
john6625 Australia - ConnieB USA
Girish Vaidya India - JimFegy Canada
anichat Philippines - kbdessai India

Groups can look like this:

Group 1
henrik_rrb Sweden, Arakan USA, Kennethsequeira UAE, and Bijoy India

Group 2
john6625 Australia, ConnieB USA, Girish Vaidya India, and JimFegy Canada

Group 3
anichat Philippines, kbdessai India and AMark Canada

As you can see, group sizes depend on the number of participants. But this does not mean that you can't swap two covers each, in Group 3.

Do you guys want to try this group cover exchange?

Or,

Do you want to stay with the current exchange, i.e. one exchange partner per month?

I really need your opinion on this. Please don't shy away from posting because this is your cover exchange.

Can all the August participants please respond to the above question?

Once again, you can post your answers directly in thread or if you choose to remain anonymous send me an email.

Thank you!

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

Would be strange to not support my own idea... :) But I'm fine with both ways. The new way would mean that each one get covers from more countries each month. The negative part with that is that it could be hard to get a full set in one exchange. But instead, seeing the example above, I would this month get a cover each from USA, India and UAE. Or more.

This could, hopefully, bring in some new partipants who likes to get covers from more countries in one go.

But, it's just an idea. I would be happy to continue with the way it has been too!

ConnieB

Post by ConnieB »

Hi. I like the idea of getting covers from multiple countries in a swap.

Reasons I have not been more regular in exchanging covers have been various
1.Requesting hand cancels at the local post offices in Arizona were problematic, but in Washington state the clerks here are much more accommodating.
2. The postal system here automatically puts hand canceled letters through a machine for canceling anyway. I didn't like that custom and thought it would disappoint my exchange partners. Lately, I've been participating again anyway.
3. Some of the US issues are in sets of 4, 5, 8, 10 or 12 stamps. It can get expensive to accommodate requests for one or more complete sets in a month.
4. I am a collector more of stamps than of covers. Now I just add a page and put the covers with the country I collect.
5. Family challenges kept me too busy for a time, but I'm fitting stamps into the schedule better now.
6. Limited countries represented in the exchanges is a little problematic.

I like the suggestion of sending and receiving covers from multiple countries when participant numbers are low.
ConnieB
Favorite topics: Fauna, flora, most WW historical/cultural commemorative topics.

Return to “SWAP your stamps and covers with other collectors Worldwide - or GIVE them away FREE!”