Monthly Cover Exchange Questions, Concerns, etc…

Seek exchange partners here. List what you broadly have to exchange, and what you'd ideally like in return. No charge - totally **FREE** for stampboards members to use to use. Or GIVE away your spares. Try it out today!

Moderators: AMark, Canada stamper, Volunteer Moderator Team

john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Monthly Cover Exchange Concerns, Questions, etc…

Post by john6625 »

I don't mind the idea at all Mark and it will also allow for you to exchange on a more regular basis as I know you exclude yourself when there is an odd number of participants.

The one downfall is if that it may keep members away if the 'expectation' is to exchange too many covers with each participant, especially if the cost becomes prohibitive. Of course this can be sorted quite easily between the members within the exchange and probably needs to be highlighted in the exchange thread so prospective new members are aware.

Also Connie states that some issues have several stamps and can be costly. This is easy to rectify by spreading the set over a few covers if possible.

I think multiple exchange partners could work quite nicely overall.
Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

Kennethsequeira
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Group works for me.... :D
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

Mrs. Stamp

Post by Mrs. Stamp »

Last edited by Mrs. Stamp on 17 Aug 2019 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
Collect: Fauna, Flora, mushrooms, environment protection
Please visit my website to see all my exchange offers.

Mrs. Stamp

Post by Mrs. Stamp »

Hi,
I got a message from Kenneth. Thanks, Kenneth. :wink:

Reasons are mainly the same ones like ConnieB described:
- main thing is always: TIME... (notification here in the thread, preparing covers, hand cancels
(I have no possibility for that), posting pictures (I have many problems to post pictures here easily... this
is also why I didn't proceed my exchange thread here),
doing all this in time... members should not have to wait too long...you don't want to disappoint other
members when you are too slow because of a lack of time for stamps...
- commemorative stamps - I cannot buy them in post offices...I have to order all on internet... post offices
mostly don't sell them anymore...they only have definitves (flower issues on roles)
- I am also more a collector of stamps than covers (like Connie), but if stamps on covers would be of my
collection topics this would also be attractive for me.

The idea of the thread in general is a great one. :D Maybe it helps to slacken rules a bit... Hand cancels should be no must.../ pictures are nice and I love them, but should it be a must for participating?

These are just a few thoughts... :wink:
Collect: Fauna, Flora, mushrooms, environment protection
Please visit my website to see all my exchange offers.

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

Hi Guys,

First, I want to thank everyone that has responded directly in thread or has sent me a private message! :D

Second, I will try to address some of your concerns, opinions, etc...
henrik_rrb wrote:Would be strange to not support my own idea... :) But I'm fine with both ways. The new way would mean that each one get covers from more countries each month. The negative part with that is that it could be hard to get a full set in one exchange. But instead, seeing the example above, I would this month get a cover each from USA, India and UAE. Or more.

This could, hopefully, bring in some new partipants who likes to get covers from more countries in one go.

But, it's just an idea. I would be happy to continue with the way it has been too!
Hi Henrik,

Your concern of not getting a full set of the current issue, from you exchange partner, is a valid concern and it has also been mentioned by another member. The solution to that might be to make the groups smaller, three people per group?
ConnieB wrote:3. Some of the US issues are in sets of 4, 5, 8, 10 or 12 stamps. It can get expensive to accommodate requests for one or more complete sets in a month.
The amount spent on stamps is also another concern, as also mentioned by john6625. I really don't have a solution to that. :( However, what I have done in the past if someone had requested an expensive set, I let them know that the costs involved. Usually, he/she were OK with it and they said that they will mail another cover or two for the set that they wanted. A win-win situation. :)
Mrs. Stamp wrote:Hi,
I got a message from Kenneth. Thanks, Kenneth. :wink:

Reasons are mainly the same ones like ConnieB described:
- main thing is always: TIME... (notification here in the thread, preparing covers, hand cancels
(I have no possibility for that), posting pictures (I have many problems to post pictures here easily... this
is also why I didn't proceed my exchange thread here),
doing all this in time... members should not have to wait too long...you don't want to disappoint other
members when you are too slow because of a lack of time for stamps...

Hi Lare - I will respond to your comments in your post (in red) because it's easier this way. :)
Please don't think that time is working against you. Yes, the exchange repeats every month of the year, but you do not have to mail your cover within the given month. I have received covers that were delayed a month or two. I understand and I am sure that most participants will understand that everyone has a life outside of philately. :)

- commemorative stamps - I cannot buy them in post offices...I have to order all on internet... post offices
mostly don't sell them anymore...they only have definitves (flower issues on roles)

I also have to order some stamps because they are not available at my local POs. Once again, time is not an issue. If you mention this to your exchange partner I am sure that they will be more than understanding. :)

- I am also more a collector of stamps than covers (like Connie), but if stamps on covers would be of my
collection topics this would also be attractive for me.

Well, you are in control of what stamps you will be receiving on your cover/s. If you do not like something, just say "No, thank you!" But please tell your exchange partner what you would like instead. :)

The idea of the thread in general is a great one. :D Maybe it helps to slacken rules a bit... Hand cancels should be no must.../ pictures are nice and I love them, but should it be a must for participating?

I am sorry but I will not slacken the images of covers received rule. Why? First, philately is all about images. Second, if you are exchanging stamps on your thread, do you not post images of the stamps that you are offering? Last, I am not asking for high resolution images of the covers that you receive. Take a photo with you mobile phone, upload it to imgur and post the image on the required thread. :)

Are hand cancels difficult to obtain in Germany?

These are just a few thoughts... :wink:
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

My local Post Office doesn't like doing hand cancels and you always end up with funny looks and irritation.

The guy who runs it has now put up a sign that all envelopes that are already stamped are to be put directly into the Post Box outside and not handed in to be cancelled. Just an example that it isn't always easy over here. Seems to be going the same way as in the UK which I think Norvic mentioned.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

henrik_rrb
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by henrik_rrb »

AMark wrote:
henrik_rrb wrote:Would be strange to not support my own idea... :) But I'm fine with both ways. The new way would mean that each one get covers from more countries each month. The negative part with that is that it could be hard to get a full set in one exchange. But instead, seeing the example above, I would this month get a cover each from USA, India and UAE. Or more.

This could, hopefully, bring in some new partipants who likes to get covers from more countries in one go.

But, it's just an idea. I would be happy to continue with the way it has been too!
Hi Henrik,

Your concern of not getting a full set of the current issue, from you exchange partner, is a valid concern and it has also been mentioned by another member. The solution to that might be to make the groups smaller, three people per group?
[/quote]

Being used to the quite extreme level of postage cost in Sweden I'm not so concerned about getting a full set or not. I do know it's more important for others, that's why I raised the question. :)
Having a group of three instead sound like a good idea too. But no matter if it's three or four in the group I would think that one would within a few months for sure be paired with the same member again, so if I wouldn't get the full set in the first exchange I could just "build on" the set in the second exchange.

About getting the covers hand cancelled I realize more and more how lucky I am here in Gothenburg. The staff at my local post office know me so well nowadays that they put forward the postmark stamper for me as soon as I enter the doors... :D
Some months ago the whole office also moved to a new location, closer to our place, which means I now don't have to drive to the other side of the city to visit them.

George, have your post office given a reason why they don't want to hand cancel the covers? I doubt they are swamped with people who come in there every day to ask for it...?

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Wow Henrik, that's a dream of a post office. The guy here just said he doesn't have time. Sometimes there is a lady on the counter and she still takes them off me if he's not around.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

Took years of training... ;)

But seriously, very happy with the way it is. Not only are they helping me with the postmarks, or let me do it myself, but they are also very friendly and curious about the hobby.
Always having a nice conversation with them no matter who is working.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

When I first started this I also had trouble with my Post Office but now, as with henrik the staff just pass the the canceller. It can take some persistence but once they get used to you it should become easier.

If not maybe try another post office if one is available. Even if you can't get a postmark and have to hope for a machine mark (hit and miss I know) I personally
am not fussed. I can always get a back stamp from my post office to show a date on the rear of the cover when it arrives here anyway.
Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

I got a message from Kenneth, too.

It’s not that I am “avoiding” the cover and postcard exchanges, but it’s summer and I’m busy.

I just haven’t had much time to deal with stamps (I have had a long overdue exchange with a very understanding RobRoy sitting on my stamp desk for over a month now).

AMark should know I am a big fan of these exchanges despite the fact I, too, NEVER receive hand cancels from the rude postal clerks in LA.

So I have to send away for commemorative cancels, which can take a long time to get back as those still awaiting the 50th anniversary moon landing covers I recently offered in a thread here know.

Also time-consuming lately is just posting images here for one reason or another, so that’s another hassle.

I plan to return, but please don’t take it personally that I’m not participating now.

Cheers.
My address has changed and is available upon request.

I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool.

Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

AMark

Post by AMark »

Philexx wrote:My local Post Office doesn't like doing hand cancels and you always end up with funny looks and irritation.

The guy who runs it has now put up a sign that all envelopes that are already stamped are to be put directly into the Post Box outside and not handed in to be cancelled. Just an example that it isn't always easy over here. Seems to be going the same way as in the UK which I think Norvic mentioned.
A few years ago, I decided to get a cancel from all the post offices located in six cities surrounding the city that I live in. At present, I can't recall the exact number of post offices that I went to but it was a lot. :mrgreen: At each post office I told the clerk that I am postmark collector and the reason that I am here is to get a cancel from their post office. Furthermore, I asked each clerk if I can apply the canceller myself. For the most part the person behind the counter obliged. :)

Now, at my local post offices (there are currently three, it was four but one closed) the staff just lets me use their date stamp on the covers or postcards that I am mailing. If I am at a post office that I do not visit often, I tell the clerk that I am mailing a cover or postcard to a philatelist/stamp collector and therefore the cover needs a nice cancel. :) I also ask them if I can apply the canceller myself. (Yes, I know that I am pushing it but if you don't ask you will never know. :mrgreen: )
britjag wrote:I got a message from Kenneth, too.

It’s not that I am “avoiding” the cover and postcard exchanges, but it’s summer and I’m busy.

AMark should know I am a big fan of these exchanges despite the fact I, too, NEVER receive hand cancels from the rude postal clerks in LA.

Cheers.
britjag,

Yes, I do know.
You have been participating regularly in both, the cover and postcard, exchanges. Furthermore, you have been encouraging people to do the same. :D Thank you Nick! :D

Kenneth had promised to send an email to a few participants that he thought were not taking part in the cover exchange.
Kennethsequeira wrote:Next week I’m going to mail atleast 5 SB members who are not been regular exchange partners to join or find out why they are avoiding it
There is really nothing else to it.

Cheers!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

JimFegy
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by JimFegy »

Hi Mark,

Summers especially do get hectic and it's harder to keep on top of things, but it's worthwhile.

I do like the cover exchange with one partner since it gives a good opportunity to get a complete set of some issues. I can also usually fulfill someone else's wish for a complete set.

Being organized into small groups though would also work since most sets comprise of 5 stamps and 2 covers would do it. I don't think it would be difficult for a group of 3 to work out an internal exchange agreement between themselves. Maybe this could be done on a trial basis and feedback on it's success given.

Another idea for exchanges might be to arrange a trade of a few freebies inside a cover. This can be anything the partners decide on if interested. I've done this a few times with partners and have been very happy with additions to my collection.

Like others who are from smaller centres or communities, hand cancels are easier to provide if you can develop a relationship with the post office staff, but we all know this isn't possible in many cases. It's too bad that it's another lost social contact in today's world. :(
The staff at my local post office have been great over the years because we know each other. We got a new postal supervisor this year who came from a much larger centre and it took a while before she was comfortable with handing over the canceller. I told her that I was one of those crazy stamp collectors and we're really picky. :lol: Now we're friends and she just smiles and hands it to me when she sees me coming. We chat and visit and she even asks about some of the covers I receive.

Kenneth's idea of sending to others who aren't in the exchange is a great idea and could be done by more of us. Also, we could watch out more for newbies to the board and encourage them to join by sending them a cover or two when they hit 60 posts.

Finally, a big thanks for showing the concern and continuing to run and organize the exchange. It's greatly appreciated!
Regards,
JimFegy - Always something new to learn.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your kind words and ideas. :)
JimFegy wrote:Being organized into small groups though would also work since most sets comprise of 5 stamps and 2 covers would do it. I don't think it would be difficult for a group of 3 to work out an internal exchange agreement between themselves. Maybe this could be done on a trial basis and feedback on it's success given.
Well, you are actually taking part in a group postcard exchange (which can be considered as experimental). :)

August 2019 Postcard Exchange Participant List

There is a group of five participants, which is larger than the proposed 3, but we should be able to get some feedback from the group very soon. :)

BrewDog

Post by BrewDog »

I got a message from Kenneth too months ago but totally forgot to respond, apologies.
Well, we don't have any issues with hand cancels at the moment, still a small country to go with automated machines, so there is no need to go with it. I hope there aren't any changes for it soon.
Seems we don't have big problems with new stamp issues, quite a good number a year but I wouldn't mind to see a bigger number of new issues.
What about time? Well, time is time, but you always might find a spare minute for stamps, if not now, perhaps a bit later. I'm not perfect myself, sometimes I've quite long delays in exchange or for theme it forward stamps but always try to end up with sending I've promised.
I could easily go with mentioning other things, but that's not the point. It might look I'm perfect for cover exchange but the main reason is simple - I'm really not a cover guy. However, it might change in the future cause I've received many beautiful covers so far.
Where have you been? Nowhere.
That's a long time to be nowhere... Well, that's where I was...

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Everyone,

I have not started the April Cover and Postcard Exchange threads because I want to know if you guys want to continue.

Why?

Well, with the worldwide covid-19 panoramic raging I don't know if you guys feel comfortable exchanging cover and/or postcards?

Yes, most postal systems are still working and you can still mail covers/postcards (with precautions, that is), but do you guys feel safe going to your local PO to mail a cover or postcard?

I certainly do not want to put anyone at risk of getting the coronavirus while they were mailing a cover or postcard. Or, be responsible for a member getting the coronavirus because they went to their PO to mail a cover or postcard.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

john6625

Post by john6625 »

I will still participate if others want to, although I understand if others wish to opt out. If there is a consensus to stop for a while again I fully understand.

On a side note, I was having a parcel delivered from Adelaide and it was taking a while. The sender went to the post office and asked if there were any hold ups and was told there was as all parcels were being sprayed to ensure no viruses would survive.

I don't know how true this is but if it is I wonder if all mail here is being treated.

Cheers

Kennethsequeira

I'm ok with both...

I can't step out during lockout at this moment but I have kept covers ready like I have done for my March partner... The moment I am allowed to step out will post it.

pirano
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by pirano »

I'm happy to continue as well - I have plenty of stamps and pass plenty of mailboxes on my daily lockdown bike rides - but my swap options will be somewhat limited. A letter bound for Australia was returned to me today wrapped in a letter which lists all the countries that Slovenia is currently not sending mail and packages to, Australia (obviously) among them. Bummer too, because I used some really nice stamps. :)

We can probably also expect substantial delays with delivery that hasn't been restricted; there are lots of disruptions.
Collecting used stamps and covers worldwide. Thematic focus: journalism (newspapers, television, radio, news agencies, etc), athletics (aka track and field) and refugee and migrant issues. Strong interest in covers and postal history of areas of the former Yugoslavia, Trieste (Zones A and B) and northeastern Italy.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Thank you guys for your input at this crazy time.

Since, you guys are fine either way I will start the April exchanges. However, I will have to add that no participant will be required to go into the post office to get a hand cancellation. The cover may be dropped into a mailbox/postbox if a participant doesn't want to go inside a post office.

Regarding stamps, I will leave this up to the participants. Canada's last stamp issue was on March 2, 2020. The next one will be (should be) April 24, 2020 (Eid stamp) and on April 29, 2002 (The 75th Anniversary of V-E Day). However, I don't know if there will be a delay because of the covid-19 pandemic.

Ricardsolan
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Ricardsolan »

Dear Srs.

I’m new here, and I’m looking for a topic or a group of posts, when every member can write his/her “want list”, and all members can write and can read the wants lists, and all can help us.

I do not know if I explained correctly
Thanks
Basketball googlesite catalogue:
https://sites.google.com/view/basketballstamps/go-to-continents
Collecting basketball stamps used or new.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hello Ricardsolan,

Thank you for your question! :)

Yes, several members have exchange threads where they either ask for specific items or make offers and wait for responses form other members.

However, at this moment you do not qualify for direct exchanges. To qualify, you must be a member for 60 days and have a minimum of 60 posts. Let the Stampboards community get to know you before doing any exchanges.

Patience is the key!!! :)

Ricardsolan

Post by Ricardsolan »

Thanks AMark!!!
Yes I know the rule 60/60. I wait the moment, while I meet the people and the people meet me. (Me and my bad english, sorry)
I just ask because I would like to see this part of SB, to view how the people write his/her “want list”, how the people do the exchanges.... just have a look.
When I get my “brithday 60/60” i will start to exchange!!
Thanks

ebormelo
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ebormelo »

As it is the first time that I am participating in the monthly exchange, I have a question: usually more than one envelope is sent in an exchange, as a rule of exchange, or not? I saw in several posts that in many exchanges more than one are sent.
Returning to philately. Themes of interest: Autism; COVID-19; Mollecular Modeling; Pharmacy; Presidents of Brazil.

Kennethsequeira

ebormelo wrote:
12 Nov 2020 07:54
As it is the first time that I am participating in the monthly exchange, I have a question: usually more than one envelope is sent in an exchange, as a rule of exchange, or not? I saw in several posts that in many exchanges more than one are sent.
Its depends on your partner & you... Usually most partners agree 2 or 3 ... depending on choices, wants & possibilities... may be even value ... Hope this answers your question

Ricardsolan

Post by Ricardsolan »

Hi everyone!!
Sorry for this time out, I have some family complications and one house move in the middle.
As all can see, One of the 2 requeriments about the exchange cover exchange concerns I win it, the 60 days with a member, but the other I can't overcome.
Maybe I don't know, if it's possible to ask for a new basketball stamp in Austria in 2020. Can someone say me if I can ask for this stamps (used preferently)? And from Bosnia Hercegovina too?
Thanks for all.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Just a reminder to all the cover exchange participants. :)

When posting images of the covers that you have received from your exchange partner, Please Do Not Show Your Exchange Partner's Mailing Address.

You can display your mailing address, if you choose to do so, but do not assume that your exchange partner would like you to show their mailing address.

Thank you!

Crowsnestidaho
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Monthly Cover Exchange Questions, Concerns, etc…

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

First partner to mail first after correspondence with partner? New to the exchange and could find no reference to this in this thread.

I appreciate your including me.

Don

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi Don,

There is no rule as to when you should mail a cover/s. It's your choice when you can and/or are able to mail the cover/s. But once you agree on the number of cover/s and stamps to be used on cover/s, you should mail them.

I hope that this answers your question.

Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Perfectly!

Return to “SWAP your stamps and covers with other collectors Worldwide - or GIVE them away FREE!”