WHAT is wrong with Asian made stamp stockbooks??

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

maszki
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: WHAT is wrong with Asian made stamp stockbooks??

Post by maszki »

ozstamps wrote:
maszki wrote:
Trabants, Yugos, ZILs...they might be ugly, but they have a following (just as the Indian Uglies are highly sought.) Its a bit of history, a reminder of a 'forbidden' era.

I wrote about a STAMP COVERED Trabi in one of my columns! -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snoctober07.html

Glen
Com'n Glen..just a dealer getting rid of some junk stock with a great advertising idea

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Princestamps »

ozstamps wrote:
maszki wrote:
Trabants, Yugos, ZILs...they might be ugly, but they have a following (just as the Indian Uglies are highly sought.) Its a bit of history, a reminder of a 'forbidden' era.

I wrote about a STAMP COVERED Trabi in one of my columns! -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snoctober07.html

Glen

I know a wee bit of German, the sign on the window says (I think, apologises in advance if I am wrong)

Stamps + Coins
Buying and Selling
Kant Strasse (Street) 124 Berlin 1052
Telephone (Can't read the number)

So yeah you guys are right, the car is a gimmick used by a local (Berlin) dealer.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Those darn flying eagle albums refused to die.

Many collectors here are still ignorant, as at the red dot sale yesterday, at least 10 accumulation or stockbook lots had one or more of those Flying eagle albums.

But the highlight was an empty stock book lot which turned out to be a very large flying eagle one. Somebody paid $3 for it and it was described as being useful. This is an august and well known stamp club.

The sales aren't a total walk over though, we can all pick up AMAZING bargains, such a set of AAT 1966 Definitives complete and they were UHM with no toning or faults I paid $5 for, the mock sun is worth several times that.

I also bought a NZ 1986 Year book complete with the stamps (FV $25) for $5. This item sold for $54.95 back in 1986/87 and even now a dealer would give me $10 for the stamps. So a good day.

I also bought a plush Tasman album with a complete run of Health stamps from 1929 to 2000 mint (xcept 1931) and M/S from 1968 -1972 and 1976 - 2000, plus complete christmas mix all mint from 1980 to 2000. Face Value must be around $200, for $14

john6625

Post by john6625 »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.

John :)
Join the June 2020 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90822 ..... OR ....
Join the June 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90821

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Quite a lot of opinions in this one :lol:

I'll just throw in my two pennies. I go for the Lighthouse (clear covering pages) or Stanley Gibbons brand. Both of these I found keep their pockets and thus the stamps nice and flat.

For things I look at more and am more active in I use Prinz or Hagner stock sheets. These are generally very good and protect the whole stamp. Although I have received the odd 'dusty' looking ones over the years with no real idea of where they originated from beyond the dealer. But it's not often enough to worry about, I just bin them and the stamps too if needs be.

I've had various regular stock books over about three decades of active collecting. Some DAVO I have had for at least 20 years are still doing well. To be fair, I have bought cheaper options available around Europe and have been disappointed - bendy pages, the pockets buckle and things like general quality is not that great. Like someone said above, it's not worth skimping on storage.

And a final thought - even in a more temperate climate like the UK your home environment can affect stamps. I used to keep fish until recently - I had upgraded to a big 200 Litre open top tank last year (with a kind of hang in light). I'd kept open top, but smaller tanks for years and never had any problems, but after a few months I noticed a few patches of mildew about the flat. When Summer came I could really feel the extra humidity in the flat. And the thing that finally convinced me it was a problem was some of my stamps in the Hagners were beginning to curl slightly, which never normally happens - they are usually perfectly flat.

And so to cut a longer story short, aquariums can easily affect the atmosphere in a flat or room, so look out for things like that - air the bathroom if you have a shower etc. My tank is up for sale now :lol: Gladly it wasn't too late to act.
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Yes years on. the message is still clear, no-one SANE stores any stamps of vale in these horrible "Flying Eagle"" style Chinese stock books -

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

So the mystery remains. What does a "Tiger Stamp Album" actually look like?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Global Administrator wrote:Yes years on. the message is still clear, no-one SANE stores any stamps of vale in these horrible "Flying Eagle"" style Chinese stock books -
So maybe you store "dead" stamps in there? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

CharlesAM
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by CharlesAM »

Despite all of the debate that raged over this topic, Chinese stock books continue to crop up in local stamp auctions and even on our Stamp Club auction table.

My own collection is housed in German stock books (I prefer those with black pages) but even those present occasional problems. On a number of occasions I've noticed stamps slipping through the strips after the strips have partially lifted from the page. I've remedied this by purchasing a Hawid glue pen to re-attach the strip.

With regard to Chinese stock books, I have obtained several when buying a "box lots" at auctions. Many are binned as they are damaged, have rough writing on pages etc.

Those in better condition I use as temporary housing when sorting through bulk lots. I'm not ashamed to say that I have also occasionally filled one with an accumulation and sold (always at the minimum reserve permissible) at auction.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:So the mystery remains. What does a "Tiger Stamp Album" actually look like?
Take a flight to Karachi for your answer. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I will leave that in your capable hands thanks Sheriff. :)
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

CharlesAM wrote: My own collection is housed in German stock books (I prefer those with black pages) but even those present occasional problems. On a number of occasions I've noticed stamps slipping through the strips after the strips have partially lifted from the page. I've remedied this by purchasing a Hawid glue pen to re-attach the strip.
Oh no, not the dreaded slippage! :lol:

Thanks, I might use the same trick to avoid such awkward moments in my premium German-made stockbook.

Incidentally, what are - and yes, I know this is a very old thread - what are these Tiger-branded Pakistani stockbooks mentioned here by the original poster? I've never seen an image, and googling doesn't help either.

I will add that I once had a blue Euro stockbook with some toning splodges in the upper pages. Since then, I've been one for slip cases, as Glen often suggests. At the very least, Euro-made albums in slipcases look better than the commonly termed 'Chinese stockbooks' found in garage sales or overpriced inherited 'estate lots' on Gumtree.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I recall seeing a "Tiger" brand stockbook, much the same as the Flying Eagle style. I can't locate it here buried in all my mess. I think the Tiger is drawn head down tail up.

Unfortunately the OP never actually showed any images of the outside of his albums and didn't show any single pages either. Technically we don't even know he actually had or used any of these albums - he just said he did and then went off on a tangent.

In my years of looking I can't find anyone who makes an album like these anymore, not even for $10.

I still have a couple of brand new never used ones on my shelf and I keep a couple of old used ones nearby as my "coalmine canaries".
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

I've gotten some of those cheap albums in box lots.

The pages warp and the stamps are usually falling out.

They get emptied out and it's off to the bin for them...

norvic

Post by norvic »

I use one under my printer to raise the output-tray over the catalogue that's sitting in front of it!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote:
06 Apr 2020 20:05
I use one under my printer to raise the output-tray over the catalogue that's sitting in front of it!
I have one by the scanner to add the 2 kilo weight on top of the lid onto of Hagner pages and covers etc to keep them flat.

It is about the ONLY handy use for a 1980 ''Flying Eagle'' brand stockbook! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now as to those mythical PAKISTANI 'Tiger' brand that we never EVER did get to see .. well who knows. :lol:

Glen

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”