Is Coronavirus creating a lot more sea mail?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Is Coronavirus creating a lot more sea mail?

Post by David Smitham »

Unfortunately, coronavirus is still affecting lives of millions of people in many countries. I am sure that the flow on effects of cancelled flights has been and is being felt around the world, not only by travellers but also by businesses and postal administrations.

The reduction of flights has, at least in certain countries resulted in higher airmail charges to overseas destinations - in NZ this is mainly for non standard letters (i.e. packets & parcels). What about reintroducing surface mail to shift backlogs of mail?

Goodness knows how long it may take for some (air) mails to be delivered - perhaps surface mail is just as quick a delivery option now, bearing in mind coronavirus is likely to be with us for some time yet. I've not heard anything from NZ Post re this.

What about other nations' postal administrations & AP? Maybe if AP introduced sea mail they would be able to shift some of the tons of warehoused mail?

Any thoughts?

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, September 2021, Hamilton, NZ.

ddaann
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Coronavirus & surface mail?

Post by ddaann »

From the USA, much mail going abroad, especially to Asia, has been going by ship. Delivery times can be 6-8 weeks or even more.
I am "ddaannv" on ebay, Dan at Dan's Stamps on HipStamp, and an APS member 86690 since 1976. Currently listing some British colonies, Disney, birds on stamps, and world-wide souvenir sheets including some on cover.

towradji
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by towradji »

The AP parcel backlog is mainly domestic from click and collect and the restriction on warehouse staffing in stage 4 Victoria.

That is why Victorian parcels are being sent to NSW etc for sorting. Hopefully that might change tomorrow.

AP have sent a lot of sea mail in the Covid situation if I read other threads here.

Not hard, stuff a 40ft container with pallets of parcels. No dry commodities get priority over mail on international container vessels, has been so for a long time. Sea transit I guess is about 10 days NZ final port to Australia.

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

I had no trouble posting a parcel to NZ about a month ago, took about 10 days.

However a ship won't sail unless full and you only get speedy delivery if its direct from here to there.

How many container ships ply say Sydney - Auckland? I would expect it mostly all by air and air freught is still flying, passengers arent.

I sent a box to South Africa by sea about 8 years ago, took 3 months. It went the long way.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

towradji

Post by towradji »

Eh, sea freight Australia to NZ is very significant, at least 5 services offering a weekly service Syd Melb Bris to 5 ports or more in NZ.

Airfreight volumes in normal times are insignificant compared to sea.

Over 95% of the worlds freight is by sea

nota bene
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by nota bene »

From Hong Kong to NZ has been surface mail only since March and still is. I can of course ship Fedex or similar courier service, but anything by HK Post goes by sea!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

German Post Office has added a 3.6 Euro a KILO surcharge for months = about $5.75 a kilo, or $A60 EXTRA per 10 kilo box of stockbooks I buy etc. (Even to TASMANIA!)

Dutch Post also has a hefty parcel purchase.

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html

Australia:

At this time, transport capacities to Australia are substantially reduced. As such, special measures are required to maintain the shipping of letters and parcels.

• Business customers/contract customers: DHL Paket International items can still be sent until further notice. Please note that an international crisis surcharge of EUR 3.60 per kilogram (or part thereof) will be applied to each parcel.

The restrictions also apply to shipments to Tasmania and Lord Howe Island.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

towradji

Post by towradji »

Yes, not popular but makes sense.

For air cargo there is a significant reduction in capacity but no change or an increase in demand so a freight surcharge is added.

My understanding of air freight is thin, but I seem to recall a major imbalance in port pairings ie import and export volumes are not aligned. This significantly translates to price.

Sea to/ from Australia In containers is more balanced in that whist more import boxes arrive but are a bit balanced by our higher average weight for exports.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”