Your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes etc?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GB 789
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes etc?

Post by GB 789 »

What were your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes, misguided new collecting topics, lessons learned, etc etc

I thought it may be good fun to start a light hearted thread looking at members’ philatelic mistakes and lessons learned from them.

For example, purchases that seemed a good idea or a bargain but turned out not to be. Or auction disasters where you overbid and got something that really wasn’t worth the money.

Perhaps you started a new focus for your collection and soon regretted it for some reason.

Anything like this would be great to hear about and also maybe show (and warn!) newer collectors about some of the pitfalls philately can entail.

I’ll start with an example of a less than impressive philatelic purchase.

My first error (and sadly also quickly followed by my second!) involved my first attempt at emailing postal auction bids in rather than posting them in on the traditional form. I went through the catalogue meticulously and made a note of the 10 or so lots I wished to bid on.

I don’t know what happened or whether I was distracted by something but one of the lot numbers I got the digits mixed up when writing the email and inadvertently bid on a Leeward Islands KGV1 set to £1 (shown in the photo) rather than a collection of GB surface printed covers.

The lot was about £200 which would have been good value on the cover lot but was close to full SG cat value for the Leeward Island set.

Now, that could have been sorted out if I had checked my lots straight away and realised the error as the auction company would have refunded me if returned within 14 days. (Even though I’d still missed out on the QV covers)

However, I made the very silly error of not checking through what I had bought or even the invoice sent (I ended up with 5 lots from the auction, 2 of which were larger collections that took a while to go through) It was about 6 weeks after I received the lots that I discovered my error and by that time was outside the ‘returns window’ and also this was coupled with feeling a huge sense of embarrassment anyway for being so naive as to not check.

I still don’t collect Leeward Islands but the set I ‘accidentally’ purchased sits proudly at the front of one of my stockbooks as a reminder to always check and then double check lot numbers when bidding. Lesson learnt 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

A lovely set but not QV surface printed!
A lovely set but not QV surface printed!
Last edited by Global Administrator on 08 Apr 2021 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: What were your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes, misguided new collecting topics, lessons learned, etc

Post by The Pom »

I've done the "bidding on the wrong lot number" trick as well. Luckily I got away with it to some degree - although I missed the one I was after, the lot I got by mistake was OK, and in my collecting area.

My main general regret is selling stuff cheap in my early days, because I didn't have the knowledge to realise it was worth more. Study, study, study. Knowledge is power.

I also wish I'd thrown everything I'd got into better Australian Kangaroo material when the exchange rate briefly hit £1 = $A2.80+ about 20 years ago. Ain't hindsight wonderful!
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Tomane1
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Re: What were your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes, misguided new collecting topics, lessons learned, etc

Post by Tomane1 »

The Pom wrote:
08 Apr 2021 09:46
I also wish I'd thrown everything I'd got into better Australian Kangaroo material when the exchange rate briefly hit £1 = $A2.80+ about 20 years ago.

Ain't hindsight wonderful!

I echo the sentiment - about 10-fold. In my younger days I remember purchasing stamps at the exchange rate of £1=1.80 South African Rand.

The rate is currently over R20 to the £ :mrgreen:.

I now buy very little from overseas and am extremely selective in what I buy.
Collecting mainly mint Portugal & colonies, World Cup soccer, astronomy & space exploration, fauna, transport, lighthouses and orchids

ebay
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Your worst philatelic disasters, purchase mistakes etc?

Post by ebay »

When i got back into stamp collecting i wasn't sure in which area to go.

I remember buying loads of ¼ & ½ sheets of GB Queen Elizabeth stamps all pre-decimal stuff
Things like the battle of hastings.

I had draws full of the stuff, no offence to anyone who collects part sheets of this era its just that
i never really knew how to store such items and keeping them in a draw was not the best idea.

most got ruined and thrown in the dustbin.

It wasn't as if i could use any of it as postage.
My mission: To get one decent example of every single Queen Victoria stamp. ( minus a few impossible to get. )

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”