The UK Postbox thread - we want your pics!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Bill H UK
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: The UK Postbox thread - we want your pics!

Post by Bill H UK »

You do a double take with the KE8 boxes, don't you? You see it as E2R instinctively, but they're obviously too old!

We have two E8R pillar boxes in Brid. They are quite rare, although there are more than you might think - about 170 in use in the UK, out of a total of about 120,000.
I'll try and grab a photo next time I'm passing.

That's an interesting one, though, with that extra white enamel plate.

hughwp
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by hughwp »

What amazes me is there is no comprehensive databases of post box locations available to the public. I was trying to find a box that accepts A4 without bending the envelope in half and there are very few only some newer ones and boxes at offices. Apparently A4 is supposed to be the new standard given that most post nowadays is business/goods and not small letters or postcards.

FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

https://postboxes.dracos.co.uk/#13/50.9466/-2.6266 has an incomplete map of postboxes, although doesn't go into full details but does include some last collection times. There's a list of postboxes somewhere, but that'll probably not have much info on the postbox itself.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 05:15
Here's a puzzling one - a KG5 box which looks like no other pillar box I've seen anywhere. Just a squared box - you might not even recognise it for what it is.
A one-off? I've not been able to find anything about it on the internet. Anyone know?
This one is in Llandudno, Gwynedd.

Was looking at the photographs on the Letter Box Study Group's website - https://lbsg.org/photographs/ when I came across this box! They posted a picture on Instagram about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOhQ2Q0Brzz/
GR freestanding wall box, 1920s, North Wales. Andrew R Young

www.lbsg.org
#wallboxes #letterboxstudygroup #letterbox #GR #Freestanding #royalmail #postoffice
Although the post on Instagram is quite old, perhaps they'd reply to comments made...
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

fchd

Post by fchd »

FairyFoot wrote:
31 Jul 2021 06:48
https://postboxes.dracos.co.uk/#13/50.9466/-2.6266 has an incomplete map of postboxes, although doesn't go into full details but does include some last collection times. There's a list of postboxes somewhere, but that'll probably not have much info on the postbox itself.

I tend to use this site : https://osm.mathmos.net/postboxes/

It's based on the crowdsourced information on open streetmap.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Dracos also uses Open StreetMap, and has the postbox code on (presuming first half of post code, plus whatever number of postbox it is within).

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I tend to use the Dracos version. Works for me. It's not 100% accurate, but it does zoom very deep, which is useful.

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Example here. You need to click on the red marker to get the details shown.

2021-07-31_230932.jpg
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Now, if someone could combine streetview with this, it would speed up the 'find the postbox' quiz no end. :D

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Nice photos OldDuffer1!

They take me back to an excellent school trip to the Scotsman offices when they were still printing with hot metal. :)

We got to make our names as metal slugs using a linotype machine!
Nigel

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I went for a walk today and took photos of 8 postboxes, some now with UNESCO World Heritage status in the background! I'll post pictures later and not all at once!

Now, I'm just wondering how to organise the picture files on my computer for them....

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Ah, you have been for a stroll through the slate!
Looking forward to them.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

The 'Old Post Office' in the village of Carnaby near Bridlington. The post box was supposedly unique as being the only one partly embedded in a PO window as opposed to in the wall. The Post Office has been unused and derelict for many years (decades, even), but the box was in daily use until quite recently. Included here because the building has now been demolished and the box (and phone box) removed. Box replaced with a new modern lampbox, building being replaced by a new house.
0011.jpg

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Good grief, just going through 10+ years of digital photos looking for postboxes. I've taken quite a few! And some before I realised I should have also been taking photos of the letter box number.

Any requests for type of box or location?

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Not really - just anything different, interesting, or just picturesque. It was never intended to be exhaustive. Post your favourites, or anything with a story. It's just a 'celebration', if you like, of there iconic pieces of street furniture.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

With #postboxsaturday, they quite like views with a postbox in. So, been trying to get the boxes with nice views more recently.

So, my offering is one of the nice boxes in Blaenau Ffestiniog, those hills have slate...
Blaenau Ffestiniog box, GR VI
Blaenau Ffestiniog box, GR VI
LL41 5
LL41 5

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Not UK but this box may have come out on a convict ship.

Another quality postcard from the mystery woman. ONYA MW !
Another quality postcard from the mystery woman. ONYA MW !
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

FairyFoot wrote:
03 Aug 2021 06:16
With #postboxsaturday, they quite like views with a postbox in. So, been trying to get the boxes with nice views more recently.

So, my offering is one of the nice boxes in Blaenau Ffestiniog, those hills have slate...

Nice shot, that. I love the way the freshly-painted box (and the bit of green) stand out against the grey (and no vehicles or people)

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:26
Not UK but this box may have come out on a convict ship.

Didn't Ned Kelly make a helmet out of one of those? :lol:

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

What looks like a British pillarbox (??) in Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina.
The most southerly postbox in the Americas.
49612C2C00000578-5409037-image-a-55_1519053548136.jpg
...and the PO and box on Ascension Island...
4961292D00000578-5409037-image-a-53_1519053086700.jpg
(Both from https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-54090 ... ealed.html)

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

This box is located within the Bayview Shopping Centre in Colwyn Bay, North Wales. It struck me as quite a large specimen of a wall mounted example:

IMG_20210420_110708_067.jpg

IMG_20210420_110702_922.jpg
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Our Morrison's has a big plastic one in the lobby. Looks totally unconvincing, like a kid's toy. It falls over if you lean on it.
At least that looks like a proper post box!

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Samuel West knows all about a postbox falling over when he lent on it!

There was an episode of Midsomer Murders, forget which, but the postbox on the station platform, a lampbox was so wibbly wobbly.

Been a while since I've been to Colwyn Bay.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Bill H UK wrote:
04 Aug 2021 00:08
Our Morrison's has a big plastic one in the lobby. Looks totally unconvincing, like a kid's toy. It falls over if you lean on it.
At least that looks like a proper post box!
Our local Morrisons has one of those plastic affairs in the lobby too. The one in Colwyn Bay (photographed on 21 April 2021) is a solid affair - cast metal built into a brick plinth. The mall has a range of other shops, it is not just Morrisons.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

IMG_20210522_113018_346.jpg

This parcel box with the letter box in the background is situated outside the post office at 52 Wood Street, Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, FY8 1QG. Photograph taken 22nd May 2021.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Some Irish wall postboxes courtesy of RevRed+.
Pre-independence British boxes, now painted green, and still in use (mostly!)
Thomastown, Co.Kilkenny
Thomastown, Co.Kilkenny
Kinsale, Co. Cork.
Kinsale, Co. Cork.
Kildare Town, Co. Kildare
Kildare Town, Co. Kildare
Portlaoise, Co. Laois
Portlaoise, Co. Laois
Faugheen, Co. Tipperary.
Faugheen, Co. Tipperary.
There are stories (there's always stories in Ireland!) that some old British boxes had the Royal Cypher chiselled off before being painted green, but is this just an 'urban myth', or has anyone ever seen one? Or better still, got a photo for here?
It's one of those things everyone 'knows' is true, but - evidence?

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

FairyFoot wrote:
04 Aug 2021 00:14
Samuel West knows all about a postbox falling over when he lent on it!

There was an episode of Midsomer Murders, forget which, but the postbox on the station platform, a lampbox was so wibbly wobbly.
Did it play a crucial role in the murder, or provide a vital clue?
I hope so!
Actually, does anyone else have any examples of postboxes being used in films or TV? (where they play a part in the plot, obviously - not just seen in the background!)

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Found the episode of Midsomer Murders - Death in a Chocolate Box. A letter (A4, but is folded), gets posted to Barnaby at the wibbly wobbly postbox on the station about 20 minutes into the episode.
midsomer2.png
midsomer3.png

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:42
Hi Halfpenny Yellow, and thanks for your contribution. It's great to hear that the remaining boxes on Malta are now protected. Whatever you think about British rule, you can't deny there are impressive bits of street furniture, and part of your history. I'd be interested to see any examples of the remaining older ones, or ones in more rural areas.

Malta's colonial legacy is rather complex - until independence in 1964 we were always colonised by a foreign power: we were historically part of Sicily (under Muslim and later Christian rule), and were then ruled by the Hospitallers ("Knights of Malta"), the French (very briefly) and finally the British. Our heritage is a mix of all of these, with the Maltese population itself being descended from Muslim/Christian settlers (many from North Africa, Sicily and mainland Italy) in the medieval period along with later European settlers (Greeks, Italians, French, English etc) from the Hospitaller to British eras (+ since the 2000s there have been many more migrants from around the world, including from Eastern Europe, the Middle East, parts of Africa, the Philippines etc).

The red post boxes are therefore one of many reminders of this colonial legacy. They are probably one of the most recognisable symbols of British rule, along with the red telephone boxes, the British coats of arms on some public buildings (thankfully these were never chiseled off) and, ironically, a statue of Queen Victoria in Republic Square in Valletta. What's interesting is that at the same time these post boxes have become a sort of local symbol - souvenir shops regularly sell model pillar boxes and telephone boxes labelled "MALTA" to tourists, eg. these pencil sharpeners (available online from a company called Leaf Ltd).

Malta pencil sharpeners.jpg

Anyway, here are two more British-style boxes in Malta - both still in use. The first is the VR pillar box near the Customs House in Valletta, adjacent to the Grand Harbour (this is the exact location in Google Street View if any of you want to check it out - but the postbox is barely visible behind a parked car).

20210725_071845.jpg

This is interesting as it seems to be the oldest intact postbox in Malta, and it is the one depicted on the 2004 1c stamp which I'm reposting below (although a gate has been installed behind it so the sea front view on the stamp has changed). This was apparently one of the first two boxes installed in 1860 (the same year when Malta's first postage stamp was issued) - the other one was near St George's Square in Valletta, and I think it also still exists but without the royal cypher (I'll take a pic of it next time I go there and I'll post it here). It bears a manufacturer's inscription on the black base which is not very legible in this photo, but I think it might be Andrew Handyside & Co. Ltd, and it is currently designated as ​MaltaPost letterbox no. 271.
HalfpennyYellow wrote:
24 Jul 2021 07:02

The second one is from around a century later (1950s-60s), and it's a Queen Elizabeth II wall box in the town of Ħamrun, specifically at the corner of Mons. De Piro Street and Parish Priest Mifsud Street (Google Street View). It bears the manufacturer's inscription "W.T. Allen & Co. Ltd London" at the bottom, and it is currently designated as MaltaPost letterbox no. 280. The cypher was painted gold sometime in the last five years since in the 2016 Street View image the entire box is red. (However who installed the tiles around it should have done a better job...)

20210724_172002.jpg
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Bill H UK wrote:
05 Aug 2021 05:24
Actually, does anyone else have any examples of postboxes being used in films or TV? (where they play a part in the plot, obviously - not just seen in the background!)
There is an episode of Agatha Christie Marple (Geraldine McEwan) set in a hotel in London where shots are fired from behind a post box outside the hotel.

2021-08-05_085558.jpg

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Is this an old style English post box ? Location is New Ross, Ireland.

new ross spb.jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Yes, it is a 'Penfold' hexagonal - see red examples above. It has a 'VR' cypher (intact!)
There seems to be more Victorian boxes remaining in Ireland than the UK.

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

This Postbox is located at Naafi- store in Sennelager/Paderborn, but now out of order!
20141231_135104.jpg
Truth is the daughter of time

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

asmodeus wrote:
05 Aug 2021 16:39
This Postbox is located at Naafi- store in Sennelager/Paderborn, but now out of order!

Interesting - a more modern historical relic, from the Cold War.
Is there any British presence there now?
And do you know what the sign on it says?

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Bill H UK wrote:
05 Aug 2021 18:03
asmodeus wrote:
05 Aug 2021 16:39

Interesting - a more modern historical relic, from the Cold War.
Is there any British presence there now?
And do you know what the sign on it says?
Naafi store and British presence are still there, but the post office is closed and the box is out of order. You can still use the postbox in the Normandy Barracks in Sennelager.

The sign on the box stated the unit- I think it was "39 Postal & Engineer Squadron". I have to look in my "stamp room", because my father nicked the sign for me ;) but I cannot find it now.
Truth is the daughter of time

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Good to know the British Army has a "Postal Squadron" :lol: :lol: :lol:

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

A snow capped box on Moorside Road, Swinton, Greater Manchester

31st December 2020
31st December 2020

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Another selection of Irish pre-independence boxes from RevRed+......
No cypher on this one in Kilkenny - British??
No cypher on this one in Kilkenny - British??
Kilkenny again
Kilkenny again
Fethard, Co. Tipperary.
Fethard, Co. Tipperary.
This is a fine big one, here in Waterford City.
This is a fine big one, here in Waterford City.
Park Avenue, Sandymount, Dublin.
Park Avenue, Sandymount, Dublin.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Thanks Bill. :D
Red.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

British post boxes in Hong Kong - how long will these last now?
hk1.jpg
hk3.jpg

This is an interesting one - a Scottish Crown box- note no E2R cypher, as Her Majesty is only QE 1st in Scotland, so some were produced without the cypher for use in Scotland. But how did this one end up in Hong Kong?
hk2.jpg

stickflies
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by stickflies »

Here's one I snapped in Wimbledon UK in 2014.
It was painted gold after Andy Murray won wimbledon.

Regards ..... Gary.
Attachments
PB 01.jpg

stickflies

Post by stickflies »

And this one is from Malta, taken in 2016

Regards ..... Gary,
Attachments
20140515_141037.jpg

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Post box at Hints, Shropshire. Question. Why is it black ?

2021-08-12_234142.jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

MANCHESTER 15/6/1996
A Victorian pillar box stands virtually undamaged in Corporation St after the IRA detonate a 3000lb truck bomb right next to it. 200 people were injured in the blast, which demolished a city centre shopping mall. The box becomes a symbol of Manchester's resilience.
m4.jpg
The same box today, still in place, and fitted with a commemorative plaque.
m2.jpg
m3.jpg

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Now it has appeared in the postbox quiz thread, I can introduce you to postbox LL57 37
LL57_37b.png
seemingly in the middle of nowhere, in Cwm Pennant.
LL57_37a.png
There is a little folly behind the trees on the right, a 19th century thing, Brynkir Tower and is now let as holiday accomodation. There is other accommodation including campsites, so perhaps this box allows holidaymakers to send postcards! But who does that anymore?!

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I do!

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Should have known better not to ask that question on this forum!!

Next up, I'd like to introduce you to postbox SA32 117 which we spotted and photographed in the National Botanic Garden of Wales
SA32_117b.png
I didn't have anything to feed it with...
SA32_117a.png

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by jkrabbenbos »

A few years ago we were holidaying in Okehampton and went on tour through Dartmoor. I found this postbox in Postbridge:
DSC_0088.jpeg
Which was in the wall of the local Post Office:
DSC_0070.jpeg
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Malaysian set depicting historic postboxes from 2011, mostly British left-behinds:
postboxmalaysiap_1.jpg
and a Victorian box still in use in George Town, Penang:

PostBox-VR-BeachSt.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

The former post office at Hints Meadow, Coreley, Ludlow, Shropshire.

h1.jpg

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”