Wide ranging discussion on stamp storage stockbooks.

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MarkM
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Wide ranging discussion on stamp storage stockbooks.

Post by MarkM »

For me it is quickly becoming black page Lighthouse stockbooks. I just have to save up to buy cartons of them when I need them from Glen. :D

And on a lighter note, I was reading the comments from Wentworth and CMJ above and because I only noted the avatars, I thought Wentworth was having a dual personality conversation due to the 1d Black avatars being so close to each other in appearance. :D

Wentworth
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Wentworth »

Thank you Malaya and Chris, that’s really helpful.

And MarkM I haven’t lost the plot that badly during lockdown :lol: :lol:

But maybe I should change the avatar, I never noticed how similar it is!

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Like many here, Lighthouse with black pages has been my standard. I loaded up before my local dealer retired and closed his coin and stamp store, and I'm glad I did.

I mostly collect in chronological order, so I have transitioned to albums, but for things where pages don't exist (my cinderellas, for instance) or where I don't feel like producing my own pages, the black page stockbooks have always been perfect.

I used Supersafe from Showgard for a while, but I rarely see those on offer anywhere these days.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

ecker269
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Stamp stock books

Post by ecker269 »

Evening all,

Can someone help. I have most of my stamps stored in stock books with glassine strips. Unfortunately, over time the strips have started to come off the card. Has anyone discovered a way to reattach these. I know they are put onto the albums initially with heat. Perhaps someone has discovered a method (heated spoon etc I dont know).

I really dont want to start from scratch. Thanks in advance. tom

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

As you have not bothered to show us an image, we have no idea the brand or era. :roll:

You could always use tape, or glue or a mig welder - or shock horror - buy new ones!

If they are that old that they are falling apart, they clearly need replacing.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Stamp stock books

Post by MJ's pet »

ecker269 wrote:
14 Oct 2021 08:32
I have most of my stamps stored in stock books with glassine strips. Unfortunately, over time the strips have started to come off the card. Has anyone discovered a way to reattach these. I know they are put onto the albums initially with heat. Perhaps someone has discovered a method (heated spoon etc I dont know).

My first thought was that you were from Scotland, but then I saw you were from Yorkshire.

Can Margo lend you her wig glue?

The albums are too far gone and have to be replaced. New stockbooks are not expensive. You could buy second-hand or new, but replacing is the only option.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

(Ignoring Mr Obnoxious above, who's aim in life is to insult everyone on earth)...

The strips are heat sealed to the backing board with a style of hot melt glue and then often have a strip of material binder added along the edge of the pages to hold them firm.

If they are giving way, then the glue has aged or been forced to let go of the backing board. A warm iron or restorers heated spoon might, only might, weld the strips back to the board.

Some archive tape might be used, but that's time consuming and would cost more than the books themselves unless you only have a few strips to do.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ViccyVFU

Re: Stamp stock books

Post by ViccyVFU »

ecker269 wrote:
14 Oct 2021 08:32
Has anyone discovered a way to reattach these.
Stockbooks generally, kept on a shelf, tend to last around 20 years (Boots) to 30 years (Hagner), before the glue dries out (and becomes "brittle"). Not every brand, not an exact timescale, but that sort of expectation.

At that point, you should re-house on to new pages.

If you look at the process of repair, you'd need to remove all the stamps (and placing them in another book, probably... and if you have another book, then its "job done :D )...... but to persevere with repair you then need to re-glue pages, which is a fiddly, unrewarding and time consuming job. (i.e. "Why spend £££ effort to botch ££ repairs?").

You have a couple of immediate challenges - sharp brittle glue shards, and capillary action of any new adhesive.

Remember that when your stockbooks were made initially, a machine placed a precise amount of glue, and the glassine was placed on top. (When you do it by hand, with your PH neutral glue, most people give up after about 1 strip!!).

When the glue becomes brittle, it may also become quite sharp, so those stamps falling down the page can receive surface scratches. Whenever I have a strip fail, I remove that strip entirely from the stockbook "on first sight", so that I don't waste time, or risk damaging the stamps.

Hot spoons, a clothes iron (through several sheets of greaseproof), or a soldering iron will do nothing to rejuvenate "old dried brittle glue".

As for replacement, you will find W.H.Smiths online (better than your high street branch) quite often have great offers, on orders over £50. Last year we saw BOGOF (buy one, get one free), free delivery, and I think it was about £20 off £60 spend, which worked nicely together to give people "whole boxes of new WH Smith stockbooks" (Which are, I believe, Lighthouse unbranded).

If you've simply got 100's of stockbooks to do, then your next best bet is to go to local auction selling boxes of basically wallpaper material (Cats, Dogs, Locomotives, Cars, Royal Weddings ...... that sort of thing) and spend about £20 for a carton of "hardly used stockbooks".

You'll still need to throw out the trash, of course, but moving stamps from stockbook to stockbook will allow you to appreciate your stamps, especially if they've been in a failing stock book for 10 years.

Good luck

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”