Going to Autumn Stampex? Day 1 costs £10!! 29 Sep-2 Oct 2021

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Going to Autumn Stampex? Day 1 costs £10!! 29 Sep-2 Oct 2021

Post by ViccyVFU »

mozzerb wrote: 02 Oct 2021 05:57 Of course, collectors ultimately stump up for any stamp event.
Making it easier for them to get to one seems like a good idea to try.
Maybe they used to, and maybe thats the ideal today, but ultimately its the PTS that takes all the financial risk of organising the event, and if there is a Covid hiccup, or a diesel shortage, or simple "disinclination, because I've got nothing invested in the event", its ultimately the PTS that has to pay the bills.

I do know that the current team work too many hours, often on top of "normal" jobs, trying to make this "as much fun as possible, for everyone", and that necessarily means that "the current bookings, at the current venue" is a tried and trusted formula.

I've organisied big events, national and international, and it was often said that "if you had £1 for every idea put in the pot, you wouldn't need sponsors or admission charges".

If members are so convinced that a secondary location would be viable, why not prepare "a completely costed proposal" for the organising committee? You know ... Exact venue, dates, venue costs, sponsors and levels, displays, funding sources, target audience, expected footfall, show total revenues (by source) and expenditure on things like "look and feel", porterage, ticketing, accommodation, travel links, parking, security, programmes, web costs, covid restriction measures, spouses programme of ideas ...... (its actually a very long list).

How on earth do you expect people who do "all the extra effort, of their own free will" to stump up even more time to evaluate other peoples ideas?

Go to them with a specific set of figures, and see what their experience tells them about your proposal.

For the current event organisers, I only had really one bit of feedback (other than congratulations on another herculean effort :D ), and that was :

Have you considered.... "Running the vStampex in the week after the physical one" (rather than concurrently), at maybe a few hours offset (say 2 - 10pm) so that your chums in the USA could compere it?

I find it quite frustrating when at a physical stall having people who would normally talk to me "staring at screens, and having their attention elsewhere".

To run the two in quick succession would allow dealers to get more exposure for their stock, over two very different audiences.

I would not broadcast the Auditoria talks live, as that rather negates the need to travel to the show at all. Making them available at the eEvent a week later appeals to the different audience, but also scoops up all those that are still in the physical world (but can't be in two places at once), and those that have gone "all in" on digital.

vStampex last year was a trailblazer event, and refined even further in the March 21 show, I just feel "now that the doors are open", it appears "more a dilution, than a concentration".

That was my one bit of feedback. Keep up the good work!!

(MozzerB, the reason delegates prefer trains and buses is because the average age profile gets highly subsidised travel. On a plane, you are normally full fare. :D )

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

ViccyVFU wrote: 02 Oct 2021 07:02

If members are so convinced that a secondary location would be viable, why not prepare "a completely costed proposal" for the organising committee? You know ... Exact venue, dates, venue costs, sponsors and levels, displays, funding sources, target audience, expected footfall, show total revenues (by source) and expenditure on things like "look and feel", porterage, ticketing, accommodation, travel links, parking, security, programmes, web costs, covid restriction measures, spouses programme of ideas ...... (its actually a very long list).

How on earth do you expect people who do "all the extra effort, of their own free will" to stump up even more time to evaluate other people's ideas?

Go to them with a specific set of figures, and see what their experience tells them about your proposal.

Exactly.

None of the perpetual whiners who ALWAYS have an armchair solution for a better way to do ANYTHING, with their time and money, will bother to spend 5 minutes of their time, coming up with anything resembling a business case.

"Stampex at Blackpool/Inverness/Crapstone/Nottingham/Salisbury would be rather nice, as my pensioner train ticket connections to there works well'' is the sole extent of their input. ALWAYS. :mrgreen:

I had long conversations with Frank Pauer and Garry Brown who largely ran the last 2 biggies here and Frank is working on the postponed 2021 for next year and the ZILLION (unpaid) headaches they face each show, would blow these folks out of their worn armchairs. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Forgive my ignorance, but if this thing costs lots to run, why is there an admission fee charged for the first day but not the other days?

Would've thought it'd make sense to charge on all days if they're going down that line for day one...?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Catweazle wrote: 02 Oct 2021 23:46 Forgive my ignorance, but if this thing costs lots to run, why is there an admission fee charged for the first day but not the other days?

Would've thought it'd make sense to charge on all days if they're going down that line for day one...?

The same reason that big car boot sales charge extra for early admissions ... there is a perception you are getting "first dibs" at vendors "show stock / giveaways", and it also sees smaller crowds.

Some people like that.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

James Bendon phoned me tonight who had been in to the show, to chat about something else, and said that thought crossed his mind. He is 85 and has seen a lot of large shows. :)

I am sure there were reasons. I guess a smaller flat fee per day might work better, or no fee at all, but they will have past experience to draw on here.

It has been a topsy turvy year or two for the stamp trade. Many dealers - including all from here simply are not legally allowed to fly anywhere overseas. ZERO. And for many overseas dealers it was harder or more costly etc.

So an awful lot of non UK dealers will have given this one a miss. Ditto many foreign collectors. DOUBLE whammy right there. Hopefully in 2022 things will be smoother re travel.

The Elephant in the Room that of course collectors sitting in their armchairs have zero clue about, is the reams of PAPERWORK and HASSLE now the UK has left the EU.

A German or French dealer flying over 2 years back, with a million quid of stock, had a smooth and time tested passage re VAT lodgements and paperwork etc, both in and out.

To do that NOW ....... you do not want to know. :roll: :roll: :roll:

UK Vatmen are ruthless - I've heard stories of them demanding an ON THE SPOT payment of a decent % of the value of the stock paid on ARRIVAL, that in theory one gets back when you leave, minus adjustments for any sales made.

HOWEVER that in practice can take months to arrive back to you. And can be 6 figure sums tied up. And flag all sorts of interest from your own Government for a large sum arriving into your account from overseas etc.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Back to where it was before the single market then.

Few of us ever claimed that Leave was the right decision, but those who voted to remain don't need to be reminded how stupid the whole decision was, nor how inept our governments. (Bit like Australia and vaccination.)

But what's done is done and it's important to ensure that taxes are paid when they should be: the easier that is to enforce, the more likely it is to be done.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
norvic

Post by norvic »

Catweazle wrote: 02 Oct 2021 23:46 Forgive my ignorance, but if this thing costs lots to run, why is there an admission fee charged for the first day but not the other days?

I can't remember when there was last an admission fee for Stampex - it will be decades ago, my guess. Maybe Glen can remember?

I wouldn't mind paying to get in, but I think springing a £10 charge a few weeks before the event seems a bit late. And if you were going to introduce a charge then I think a smaller one every day would be better.

In olden days there used to be a new stamp issue on Day 1, and "it was important to be there" if you wanted FDCs. [It wasn't of course, because you could post on the last day and still get a FDI postmark, but that was the perception.] If that had been the case this year, then he PTS might have made even more.

Anyone turning up on the day might have been surprised to be charged at all because there was very little pre-event publicity outside social media.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote: 02 Oct 2021 23:51

The same reason that big car boot sales charge extra for early admissions ... there is a perception you are getting "first dibs" at vendors "show stock / giveaways", and it also sees smaller crowds.

Some people like that.
Admission charges are funny things. Our local club used to charge a modest admission fee for entry into the two annual fairs. Apart from anything else it gave us some idea of how many people attended. But dealers continuously complained that admission fees were off-putting - most of the similar fairs had no charge.

We switched to fee admission, and dealers found something else to criticise - no local publicity was an old favourite.

I'm in two minds about admission fees. When there is a huge antique fair at the county showground the standholders have all paid to show their wares in what is effectively a huge department store. Department Stores don't charge admission. Antique Centres don't charge admission. So instead of driving a long distance to a place where antiques are sold, you pay less to have them bought to you.

Makes sense, I suppose, but it still seems odd to charge people entry when there is no guarantee that you will have anything on offer in their sphere of interest.
Erinmania
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Erinmania »

"Makes sense, I suppose, but it still seems odd to charge people entry when there is no guarantee that you will have anything on offer in their sphere of interest."

Surely if you go to a decent sized stamp/antiques fair you go with the anticipation you MAY find find something of interest not that you will find something to buy. A small entry charge for spending a couple of hours browsing stock or what is on offer is surely your entertainment value. You may be disappointed but may strike it lucky. Isn't that the fun of it all ?
norvic

Post by norvic »

Erinmania wrote: 03 Oct 2021 05:48 "Makes sense, I suppose, but it still seems odd to charge people entry when there is no guarantee that you will have anything on offer in their sphere of interest."

Surely if you go to a decent sized stamp/antiques fair you go with the anticipation you MAY find find something of interest not that you will find something to buy. A small entry charge for spending a couple of hours browsing stock or what is on offer is surely your entertainment value. You may be disappointed but may strike it lucky. Isn't that the fun of it all ?
Agreed, at a stamp/postcard event I have no problem paying a reasonable admission fee.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 03 Oct 2021 00:49 Makes sense, I suppose, but it still seems odd to charge people entry when there is no guarantee that you will have anything on offer in their sphere of interest.

That seems to make the assumption that a Stampex is just a pop up market, like Camden Lock, where you should "be allowed to browse delicacies, without any risk of having to pay for the privilege".

A Stampex is more than that......
Its knowledge transfer (The presentations), its exhibitions, its networking and it also a chance to see some of the latest developments in the stamp arena, and so forth.

Yes, there are shopping opportunities on the back of that, but even that requires an indoor market (when its raining) .... and all these things cost.

The internet has changed our expectations of value, and timescales. Apparently now, it should all be "free, and delivered today", whereas part of the traditional joy of stamp collecting (I've been told :D ), was the search, the writing a request, posting it, the catalogues, the (cherished) order, and finally fulfilment.

Admission charges are always a thorny topic, but you had the whole range available: A premium day, and three non premium days.

If you don't pay for airmail, or express, it goes regular - people look at the tariff menu and select to meet their needs. It seemed a very fair menu, to me.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Wrong context.

By the time I wrote that paragraph I was referring to admission charges more widely, harking back to your car boot sales, and considering antique fairs. See my subsequent post.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well full credit to the PTS for getting ANY kind of show occurring. :lol:

Last year there was no STAMPEX, and the wailing from the peanut gallery about that was immense.

And now the PTS after 1000s of hours of unpaid back room work, somehow DO mount a show this year despite COVID restrictions, and BREXIT issues with EU dealers and Tax and paperwork, and incur the vast cost involved - and as a PTS member trust me I can assure you they are VAST - I see the accounts each year, that would make those grumbling about a few quid entry go quiet.

NATURALLY many of last year's wailers could not be bothered to attend this year - too far, too dear, wrong time, wrong location, my goldfish is ill - fill in random lame excuse here etc. :roll:

Next year hopefully the COVID travel issue is well behind us, and the UK finally gets its BREXIT act more together, to allow a more streamlined entry of EU goods, allowing the leading EU dealers to decide it is worth the bother and mega aggravation of attending again.

Tomorrow is another day. The whiners who never contribute anything positive in any form, will always be with us sadly, but good to see a quite decent job occurred, under tough restrictions this year. :mrgreen:

Onwards to a brighter 2021. :idea:

Glen
norvic

Post by norvic »

I’m looking forward to London 2022 which will probably replace Spring Stampex?
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not sure of the UK schedule but hopefully next year things are a lot better on all fronts. :D

Australia Stamp Expo 2022 is on target for September 2022, postponed from Feb this year -

https://melbourne2022.com.au/

Seems like London 2022 is set for Feb 2022 at the same BDC - (too far, too dear, wrong time, wrong location, my goldfish might be ill - Brits fill in random lame excuse here etc) and hope it is a boomer. :mrgreen:

https://www.london2022.co/wp-content/uploads/Newsletters/Lon ... 210919.pdf
fchd
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by fchd »

I was speaking to someone involved yesterday and he explained the reason for the £10 Day 1 charge.

The Business Design Centre had imposed a hard limit of 1000 people inside per day, including all stand holders etc. The charge for Day 1 was to dissuade too many people from coming on the opening day, and to try and spread the attendance over the 4 days.

He also said they had had just one person who turned up on Day 1 and refused to pay and went away again.

It will be interesting to see how Salisbury works in two weeks time, I would normally expect them to be attracting more than 1000/day in a regular year.
mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

norvic wrote: 03 Oct 2021 17:45 I’m looking forward to London 2022 which will probably replace Spring Stampex?
Yes, it is. The original 2020 dates were naturally booked well in advance, so when they had to do an emergency reschedule there weren't many options. The PTS released the Spring Stampex dates to help out.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

"For what it's worth" here is a Stampex exhibiting story from a few years ago.

stampex customs elsmore.png
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Global Administrator wrote: 02 Oct 2021 04:44 The last biggie in Sydney, "Pacific Explorer 2005" was a total and unmitigated DISASTER, financially and numbers wise. HUGE budget - HUGE flop. It was renamed Titanic Explorer.

mozzerb wrote: 02 Oct 2021 05:57 Pacific Explorer 2005 -- the one the Aussie stamp trade didn't want to take booths at? Sounds like it had a host of problems that had nothing to do with the venue. Then again, a lot of dealers haven't turned up for this Stampex either.

Pacific Explorer 2005 aka Titanic Explorer was an absolute disaster.

There were so few people attending that some dealers threatened a class action against Australia Post for "misleading" them about the likely attendance. Never seen such white hot anger. No official attendance figures were released, only rubbery "guesstimates". Why Aust Post, when it was the Australian Philatelic Federation that organised it is anyone's guess. :lol: :lol:

Dealer stands were a fortune. Held in mega-expensive Darling Harbour in a cavernous and inappropriate exhibition space.

Planeloads of APF and FIP cronies flown and accommodated in at massive expense.

No one of the "organisers" realised the exhibition was held over the Jewish holidays so a certain segment of the collector and dealer base didn't show up. :idea: You couldn't make this stuff up. :idea:

Jewish Holidays 2005.png
Pacific Explorer stamp exhibition and Jewish Holidays 2005

Thursday, 21 April 2005. Ta'anit Bechorot: Fast of the Firstborn (Hebrew: תענית בכורות, Ta'anit B'khorot or תענית בכורים, Ta'anit B'khorim); is a unique fast day in Judaism which usually falls on the day before Passover. Usually, the fast is broken at a siyum celebration (typically made at the conclusion of the morning services), which, according to prevailing custom, creates an atmosphere of rejoicing that overrides the requirement to continue the fast. Unlike most Jewish fast days, only firstborns are required to fast on the Fast of the Firstborn.

Friday, 22 April 2005 and ended on Saturday, 23 April 2005. Shabbat HaGadol: Shabbat HaGadol ("Great Shabbat" שבת הגדול) is the Shabbat immediately before Passover. There is a special Haftarah reading on this Shabbat of the book of Malachi. Traditionally a lengthy and expansive sermon is given to the general community in the afternoon.

Saturday, 23 April 2005 and ended on Sunday, 1 May 2005. Pesach (Passover, the Feast of Unleavened Bread): Passover (Hebrew: פֶּסַח Pesach) commemorates the story of the Exodus, in which the ancient Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt. Passover begins on the 15th day of the month of Nisan in the Jewish calendar, which is in spring in the Northern Hemisphere, and is celebrated for seven or eight days. It is one of the most widely observed Jewish holidays.
DigitalPhilatelist
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by DigitalPhilatelist »

norvic wrote: 01 Oct 2021 07:35 If they were truly innovative they might consider having some events outside London. But that has been said and shot down so often that I'm not going to again enumerate the reasons.
Innovation is not changing locations. LOL
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

From Bill Barrell Ltd who had a stand at Stampex:

Bill Barrell Ltd - 'Thoughts on Stampex and upcoming events'

Dear Collector

After two years we finally returned to the Business Design Centre for Stampex and what a show it was. Sure, attendance was lower but those who came along came to spend and we only noticed quieter periods for the first hour on Wednesday and on the Saturday.

It was very well organised with many attractions for the collector. The exhibits were of a very high standard presumably due to exhibitors wanting a 'dry run' pre London 2022, the International Stamp Show and philatelic extravaganza in February 2022 at the same venue. Well done to the PTS team and a massive thank you to my fellow dealers who took the brave decision to book a stand and the collectors who made the journey - heroes all.

bill 1.jpg
New Digital Zone at Stampex

One of the new initiatives at Stampex was the digital zone. This worked by pointing one's phone camera at an item on display, recognising the QR code enabling a browsing facility. (Was this used to make sales?)

bill 2.jpg
Bill Barrell Ltd Collectors Lounge

Another new attraction was the Collectors Lounge, which Bill Barrell Ltd were very proud to sponsor. This was sponsored by BBL not because I am on the Stampex committee as some have suggested, but because a few days before the show no one else was prepared to do so, and being a keen collector/exhibitor myself I know the need for somewhere to sit down and relax in between purchases.

bill 3.jpg
Collectors in the Collectors Lounge with latest purchases

bill 4.jpg

bill 5.jpg
Bill's talk and exhibit, 'Great Britain postal developments'

On the Thursday I gave a talk in another new attraction at Stampex, the 'Spink Auditorium'. It was a talk based upon my exhibit 'Great Britain postal developments from 1548 to 1840 and the subsequent development of the One Penny stamp 1840 - 1880'. The exhibit was also on display and awarded Large Gold.

What's happening next?

A very good question and we have lots planned. We are very keen to get back on the road to meet collectors but less enthusiastic about most of the regional stamp shows, so we are organising 'Bill Barrell roadshows'. This blog is being put together at the 'Jamaica Inn' on Bodmin Moor whilst on the road meeting collectors in Cornwall and Devon.

This Thursday 14th October I will be displaying my exhibit (with several lovely new additions !!) at Torquay Philatelic Society to help celebrate their Centenary - it will be a good night! The display is at St. Michael's Church Hall, Chudleigh Rd, Kingsteighton, TQ12 3JU. We commence at 6.30pm when you may view some of our stock, bring along any items for discussion and chat about the hobby. From 7.30 I will be entertaining with my display entitled 'Great Britain Postal History 1584 to 1840 and the Penny value 1840 to 1880' - an award winning exhibit with many rarities but delivered in what I hope is an entertaining anecdotal style!

On the 15th and 16th we are attending the Salisbury Stamp show, Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Hulse Rd, Salisbury SP1 3NR
norvic

Post by norvic »

DigitalPhilatelist wrote: 16 Oct 2021 13:13
norvic wrote: 01 Oct 2021 07:35 If they were truly innovative they might consider having some events outside London. But that has been said and shot down so often that I'm not going to again enumerate the reasons.
Expand, please.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I think Norvic and other armchair ''Stamp Exhibition Planner Experts'' wants the PTS to squander 250,000 quid a time to Run Stampexes in Norfolk and Blackpool and Inverness etc, as the off-peak pensioner train fare will be less for him?

None of his money involved in staging them, so why not dream away? It is always the way with Committees - everyone else with no skin in the game knows HEAPS more than them. And lets everyone know. Incessantly.

I'd like letter post to go back to 4c a letter, and no chance of that occurring either.

Thank goodness for the likes of Bill Barrell etc, who spent 1000s of HIS money to allow collectors to sit around comparing bargains, and discuss the ballooning off peak pensioner train ticket prices etc. :lol: :lol:

Hope HE gets some extra business from his generosity, from those same folk, to cover it all.

I just bought a nice basic stock item I saw, so do take a look folks - if I can see value there, you CERTAINLY can :!:

https://www.barrell.co.uk/collections/all-items

Glen
W5LDY
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by W5LDY »

I can concur Bill is really one of the good guys.

He puts so much time and effort (and not inconsiderable funds) into making the show a success.

I really hope he reaps the rewards he deserves.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes there are always doers in all walks of life, and then there are ..................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Barrell of course supplied and heavily discounted the superb SA and ''SB'' for StampBoards corner lettered 1d Black pair we gave away to members here, shown below, and our thanks again to him for that generous gesture.

Just bought 3 more items so some useful material here - :lol:

https://www.barrell.co.uk/collections/all-items

Stamp News Front cover April 2019 1d Black pair.jpg
whiteknight&dog

Post by whiteknight&dog »

Praise to anyone who spends money and puts time and effort into working to save the hobby. But after all The Sheriff’s sound and fury it will be interesting to know the eventual attendance figures at Stampex. Apart from the well-placed people sitting at tables in photographs the number of customers/collector attendees looks, er, sparse to say the very least. When were they taken?

Being many thousands of miles away imprisoned in the isolated, locked-down Antipodes means it is hard for anyone to understand what’s happening here in Britain. Most people live outside London and the COVID-19 pandemic has meant that the vast majority of people really don’t want to go there if they can avoid it. When you live in a cultural back water such as Australia and haven’t been able to escape the place for over a year it’s understandable that people there would want to come to London which of course has its own glamour.

I hope this Stampex is a great success and the organisers’ efforts are rewarded. The hobby in UK needs it to do well. But those, from long distances away, who think that the only place in the UK where it is feasible to attract visitors is to London may find that they need to change their ill-informed and prejudiced views of this country, just as London-centric Britons themselves may have to do.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well 50,000 quid from your wallet is heading to the PTS to back your dreamer wish for Birmingham -- I think not. 5 quid would be a stretch I imagine. :roll:

Again another armchair "expert" in his brown cardigan, blowing hot air. :!:

Did you even bother to attend this year? That is a rhetorical question. Lecturing others how to spend THEIR money, on events you do not even attend.

Back to the alleged ''cultural back water'' here, where petrol flows freely at gas stations, trucks and lorries run on the roads as often as they ever have, and no politicians get murdered in public. :!:

You were whining weeks back here that STAMPEX might be nice in East Anglia, (True!) and clearly nothing new has emerged from your brain cells since, except to keep moaning. The same answer applies -

Global Administrator wrote: 01 Oct 2021 14:22 .
Perhaps norvic and whiteknight&dog can join the PTS, and then guide them to a schedule of financial disaster Stampexes on the Isle Of Wight, John O'Groats and Wooton Under Edge etc?

That I must see. :lol:

The history of the stamp world - there are doers and there are armchair ''experts'' (sic) - the latter outnumber the former by 10,000 to 1 oddly.

The hard-working PTS Committee tirelessly lead by Suzanne Ray spend 1000s of unpaid hours somehow getting STAMPEX up and running in these very tough times, in the British CAPITAL, and the British Brown Cardigan Chorus (predictably) starts up - ''too expensive, wrong days, wrong place, wrong logo, too hot, too cold, too noisy, too quiet, wrong month, wrong days, how DARE they charge 10 quid, wrong venue, cost of chip butties there is too high, the 5am off-peak pension discount train ticket from Dingley Bottom does not work well for it'' etc.

Right on cue. EVERY time. :!: :!: :!:

Welcome to Britain.
mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

I remember chatting to Bill Barrell about Stampex pre-COVID (at a small local stamp fair that was rather quiet), and IIUC even then there were PTS concerns about the cost of the Business Design Centre, and a willingness to hear suggestions for alternatives. So don't rule it out completely.

London has obvious advantages -- the region in and around the city is heavily populated, there are good transport links etc -- but it's not the sole population centre in the UK, nor the only place with visitor attractions. From a personal point of view, since I live there I'm happy to have Stampex always on my doorstep, but I do recognise there are collectors elsewhere who are entitled to feel differently!
whiteknight&dog

Post by whiteknight&dog »

I always enjoy The Sheriff’s provocative and hilarious comments and he does make me feel that perhaps I should get myself a cardigan though brown really isn’t my colour.

When you are next in UK do drop in on Birmingham and I’ll show you around. It’s at the centre of the country with railway lines from everywhere and has a fantastic population of people from all over the world and it doesn’t stink like so much of London.

All the best!
mikyh

Post by mikyh »

It's the first time I've missed Stampex for years but a combination of Covid and my hesitancy to travel on public transport made me think twice. When the list of stand holders eventually arrived, that was the final reason for not going. Many of the people I normally see where not present. Of the 50 dealers listed on the main website:

11 auction houses. Most of these are on my radar but I just download the catalogue, have no reason to see them in person.

16 or so are main dealer that have websites that I frequently visit so am aware of most of their holdings.

Leaving 23 dealer stands to browse.

There were 47 dealers at the 2 day Salisbury Stamp Fair ending today.

Picture taken early yesterday morning, it was busy.
salisbury.jpg
hatter

Post by hatter »

me too Mikyh
It's the first time I've missed Stampex for years . . . .
When the list of stand holders eventually arrived, that was the .. reason for not going. Most of the people I normally see where not present.
been bidding and buying on-line, London's major auction houses had auctions the week after Stampex :D
Hatter
Jon E
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Jon E »

mikyh wrote: 16 Oct 2021 22:31
16 or so are main dealer that have websites that I frequently visit so am aware of most of their holdings.

You cant beat actually meeting the dealers. Take the previously mentioned Bill Barrell for example, got to be 30 years ago he had a shop at the Christmas steps, he'd enthusiastically show/discuss some of the interesting material fully aware that most would be beyond my budget.

But that also took me from thinking "1d Red ? Yeah, that's just a cheap red version of the black, I got one already" to now having a whole album devoted to just the 1d red. And I'd bet he has far more stock than he has on his website.

Do hope Stampex was a success, hopefully will be going next year, all depends how Covid pans out. Compared to the amount I'd buy there, the cost of travel and the obligatory pint and plate of grub in the pub outside Euston station while waiting for the train back to Brum, an entrance fee wouldn't put me off.

TTFN,

Jon
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
norvic

Post by norvic »

Your chance in Spring will be for the London2022 International, which might see more overseas dealers if the situation has improved.

Next Stampex will be Autumn.

Plenty of time to book ahead and get the £10 each-way train ticket that allows you to spend more with the dealers.

If you are on a limited budget, then every pound spent getting to any event reduces the amount you can spend at the event.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Bill Barrell wrote: Another new attraction was the Collectors Lounge, which Bill Barrell Ltd were very proud to sponsor. This was sponsored by BBL not because I am on the Stampex committee as some have suggested, but because a few days before the show no one else was prepared to do so, and being a keen collector/exhibitor myself I know the need for somewhere to sit down and relax in between purchases.

bill 3.jpg

Big kudos to Bill Barrell for sponsoring this.

A large seating area for the paying public is often overlooked by organising committees. You would be surprised. Sometimes there is a seat in a food court type area, but hot food and drinks and stamps do not mix.

Dealer tables have a couple of chairs but this is for customers only. When finished browsing at cover boxes and hopefully buying etc, you have to move on. Chatting chair-occupiers rightly get dirty looks from dealers. Bad etiquette to occupy these chairs when not buying.

The average age at these shows is about 70, and at a single or multi-day event, people need somewhere to sit down. Can't keep people on their feet all day. Quite obvious really.
DigitalPhilatelist

Post by DigitalPhilatelist »

norvic wrote: 16 Oct 2021 17:38
DigitalPhilatelist wrote: 16 Oct 2021 13:13
Expand, please.
If all you are doing is the same thing with the same demographics but in a different location, that's not innovative - its just...changing locations.

Check out STAMPEX 1974 and then see how much has changed between then and now at stamp shows. Not a great deal.
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Compare to Stampex 2021, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y_o88zh2I
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Stanley Gibbons stand at Stampex Oct 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y_o88zh2I

SG at Stampex.png
SG at Stampex 2.png
norvic

Post by norvic »

Thank you for those video links.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

This looks like a new innovation. SHOPPING WALL with QR codes so one can buy something worth a few thousand quid:

stampex shopping wall.png

Another video of trip to Stampex, different to the above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5HLuS9XVTg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 19 Oct 2021 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "AddSpace" button used before images, as all members should click for every image.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”