British and UK stamp cancel and postmark database

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: British and UK Stamp Postmark Database

Post by norvic »

Taking your last point first, I have reported so many occasions of sales of forgeries on eBay and elsewhere to my trade manager that I have lost count. I'm certainly not going to tell them about a specific person who has used a few on mail; if they can't identify them by the lack of phosphor and take no visible action then it's unreasonable for one person to be called out.

I could tell them of other people who have used them on eBay sales, but they will be sellers of other goods who have bought their cheap postage on eBay, possibly innocently ("I didn't even know that forgeries existed; how can I tell?") And to be fair although RM have places on the website to report fraudulent use, they don't have completely accurate guidelines to spotting them.

Would I have paid a penalty (£1.50 I think) - probably although I did not recognise the handwriting, if I had been allowed to look at it and see that it was a forgery then yes I would. But only in the interests of journalistic research. I might also have told the chap in the enquiry office that it was a forgery.

He could say that he didn't know they were forgeries and would probably only be found out through a digital footprint which included his email exchanges with me, and his exchanges with the competent authorities.

As for RM being out of control. There are two aspects - the iceberg and swan, 90% of what is happening is beneath the surface of what we can see where the Investigation Branch is probably paddling like mad investigating sellers and seeking information about their sources. They certainly won't make public what is going on.

This one wasn't rejected, and I believe for a while there were no surcharges being raised for anything during the early days of lockdown 1 because they didn't want people turning up trying to pay fees, it was safer just to let a few through. But as this - and others - shows no signs of detection, I suspect that the phsophor detection is now taking second place to matching of the image database to ensure that the stamp is of a genuine design.

As some forgeries are up to 95% accurate matching on that alone is insufficient to prove validity.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

From the now closed White Cross Post Office
From the now closed White Cross Post Office
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

10 pmk 05.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

10 pmk 06.jpg

norvic

Post by norvic »

Don't think I'm telling you what to do, but have you read your emails Les?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:
14 Mar 2021 02:48
Don't think I'm telling you what to do, but have you read your emails Les?
Nope, I've not seen any emails Ian.

I don't mind people telling me what to do, I'm used to it!

10 pmk 08.jpg

norvic

Post by norvic »

I think board emails may not be getting through; I've not had a reply to another.

I was pointing out that you are now tending to not put captions neither on the images nor the narrative which will make it difficult for Google (and members) - and you - to find the image later.

Not just on this thread but also on the African covers thread, I noticed.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Counter datestamp from Disley, Stockport, Cheshire 21 June 1993 (21 JU 93).

(I can't caption the image because I'm not using the 'Attachments' option for putting images here; I used the IMG tag and used the URL of where this was originally.)

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:
16 Mar 2021 02:20
Counter datestamp from Disley, Stockport, Cheshire 21 June 1993 (21 JU 93).

(I can't caption the image because I'm not using the 'Attachments' option for putting images here; I used the IMG tag and used the URL of where this was originally.)
Fair comment, I was working on the basis that all that information is self evident from the picture and, given the specific nature of the threads I posted too, also pretty self evident, superfluous even.

Glen has given me grief in the past about similar scenarios so you are quite correct to bring me to task Ian.

P.S. I sent you an email via Stampboards today so if you did not receive it then maybe Stampboards email is broken.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

YCAD.jpg
Young Carers Action Day - North & West Yorkshire Mail Centre - 16th March 2021(?)

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

PO Counter handstamp impression dated 17th May 1991 from Huncoat, Accrington, Lancashire, UK
PO Counter handstamp impression dated 17th May 1991 from Huncoat, Accrington, Lancashire, UK

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

lesbootman wrote:
17 Mar 2021 10:16
Hi Les, I think the database prefers them "clockface" (although no one has confirmed its still being updated)

round.jpg

Do you collect "Certificates of Posting", or are these examples "just passing through"?

Good effort in getting them all recorded.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I post the image "as applied" to the CoP.

I used to collect CoP's in the days before till roll style tickets became the norm but it was only ever a sideline. My missus used to get peeved sometimes as I kept stopping while we were out driving or when we were on holiday!

Actually though, some of the sub post offices we used to call into were pretty interesting in themselves so she warmed to the idea.

My "collection" is a pretty random selection in serious need of sorting!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

PO Counter handstamp impression dated 2nd June 1993 from Maryport, Cumbria, UK
PO Counter handstamp impression dated 2nd June 1993 from Maryport, Cumbria, UK

PO Counter handstamp impression dated 2nd June 1993 from Maryport, Cumbria, UK (alignment modified)
PO Counter handstamp impression dated 2nd June 1993 from Maryport, Cumbria, UK (alignment modified)

norvic

Post by norvic »

We seem to have missed out March sloagn #6, for Mothering Sunday, or as the popular card makers refer to it, Mother's Day.
Remember
Mother's Day
14 March 2021
Here's an example from Preston (Lancashire & South Lakes) Mail Centre 12 March.

Mother's Day slogan postmark Lancashire & S Lakes MC 16/3/2021
Mother's Day slogan postmark Lancashire & S Lakes MC 16/3/2021

And after the 'ought not to be necessary' slogan for Young Carers Action Day (which ought not to be necessary either) we come to a reminder for Sunday's census (Not Scotland) here from Preston and Sheffield MCs both on 316 March

census2021
England, Wales &
Northern Ireland
21 March

Census 2021 Lancs&SLakes IMP144 20210316.jpg
Census 2021 slogan postmarks from Lancashire & S Lakes, and Sheffield MCs 16/3/2021
Census 2021 slogan postmarks from Lancashire & S Lakes, and Sheffield MCs 16/3/2021

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj Les,

Those are very nice clear counter postmarks that you have been posting recently, exactly the sort that this thread was set up to harvest. It is sad that no one seems to know the present fate of Tallanent's database and whether items are still being added to it. It will be a shame if all our efforts on this thread to augment it come to nothing.

Cheers,

Honza

norvic

Post by norvic »

Well at least we are recording them here, and current ones are being recorded on my blog and by the BPS.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

PO counter date stamp : Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse (West Yorkshire) 24th July 1998
PO counter date stamp : Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse (West Yorkshire) 24th July 1998

cursus
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by cursus »

March 2021 British Science Week:
scan073.1 (2).jpg
I collect: Estonia 1990-1992 Postal History. Barcelona Postal History and postmarks. Catalan cinderellas. Botanical gardens. Ice creams on stamps. Used UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Scandinavia.

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

IMG_20210318_0001.jpg
Young Carers Action Day 16 March 2021
from Southampton Portsmouth & IOW, 15 March 2021

norvic

Post by norvic »

Having this week received a large enevelope of somebody else's incoming post over the last year I am catching up on things we were missing.

2020 - British Science Week Kurt Vonnegut quotation, Norwich 09-03-2020, SE Anglia, Gatwick & Sheffield all 10/03/2020
"Science is magic
that works"
- Kurt Vonnegut
British Science Week
6-15 March 2020
ScienceWeek-Vonnegut-Norwich-20200309.jpeg

ScienceWeek-Vonnegut-SEAnglia-20200310.jpeg

ScienceWeek-Vonnegut-Gatwick-20200310.jpeg

British Science Week Kurt Vonnegut quotation, Norwich 09-03-2020, SE Anglia, Gatwick & Sheffield all 10/03/2020
British Science Week Kurt Vonnegut quotation, Norwich 09-03-2020, SE Anglia, Gatwick & Sheffield all 10/03/2020

norvic

Post by norvic »

We seem to have missed this year's World Book Day, so here is the one I already had from Croydon, followed by the one I received today in the batch referred to above.
WORLD
BOOK
DAY

4 MARCH 2021

World Book Day slogan postmark Croydon Mail Centre 03-03-2021.
World Book Day slogan postmark Croydon Mail Centre 03-03-2021.

World Book Day slogan postmark South East Anglia 04/03/2021.
World Book Day slogan postmark South East Anglia 04/03/2021.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

"Slogan left" variant of the Census 2021 postmark

swindon.jpg
Census 2021 postmark, Swindon Mail Centre (19th March 2021)

"A census of census 2021 postmarks" :D

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

A counter date stamp from another post office that has subsequently closed permanently:

Battlefield, Shrewsbury, Shropshire 7th November 1989
Battlefield, Shrewsbury, Shropshire 7th November 1989
Last edited by lesbootman on 21 Mar 2021 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

honza wrote:
18 Mar 2021 04:21
Ahoj Les,

Those are very nice clear counter postmarks that you have been posting recently, exactly the sort that this thread was set up to harvest. It is sad that no one seems to know the present fate of Tallanent's database and whether items are still being added to it. It will be a shame if all our efforts on this thread to augment it come to nothing.

Cheers,

Honza
I never got an answer to my email and I noted that he had stopped posting on a similar thread on a different forum.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Rog wrote:
21 Mar 2021 10:31
honza wrote:
18 Mar 2021 04:21
Ahoj Les,

Cheers,

Honza
I never got an answer to my email and I noted that he had stopped posting on a similar thread on a different forum.
That's true. However, at least this thread will still be here if and when someone else picks up the reins or if Tallanent gets back in the saddle.

norvic

Post by norvic »

lesbootman wrote:
21 Mar 2021 10:24
A counter date stamp from another post office that has subsequently closed permanently:

Now best known for a traffic roundabout.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:
22 Mar 2021 01:10
lesbootman wrote:
21 Mar 2021 10:24

Now best known for a traffic roundabout.
Yep,I've been around it quite a few times. Have even stopped at The Two Henrys for a bite to eat.

norvic

Post by norvic »

We have friends in Shawbury so the only reason we have stopped is to buy flowers, and occasionally supplies for later in the week.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Lighthouse, Fleetwood, Lancs datestamp from 1990
Lighthouse, Fleetwood, Lancs datestamp from 1990

norvic

Post by norvic »

Now that we've done our census - you have, haven't you (not Scotland) ? It's time to remember that with frost still around it's so-called SummerTime from Sunday 2am. Yes, Clocks go forward on Sunday so remember to change the time on your control panel here as well.

Here's a postmark reminder from Gatwick Mail Centre 20/03/2021

Clocks Go Forward Sunday slogan from Gatwick Mail Centre.
Clocks Go Forward Sunday slogan from Gatwick Mail Centre.

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj everone!

SCOTLAND PAID 18461219.jpg
I believe this is an EDINBURGH paid marking from the evening of 19th December 1846. Am I right?

Is the G at the bottom a hammer letter or could it be GLASGOW?

Cheers,

Honza

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Put the clocks forward on Sunday!

clocks.jpg

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Another strike of a datestamp of a former Post Office:

Pembridge, Leominster, Herefordshire
Pembridge, Leominster, Herefordshire

norvic

Post by norvic »

Here's one that was more than a bit of a puzzle and I'm not sure of the exact wording and usage date.

As far as I can see it is as shown below and was used at Exeter Mail Centre xx-03-2021; the xx can't be 26 because that that's what it looks like, but that is today. It must be 24 or 25th.
150 years of
International rugby
England v Scotland
27 March 1871

150 years of International rugby postmark slogan.
150 years of International rugby postmark slogan.

GBCC

Post by GBCC »

norvic wrote:
27 Mar 2021 03:31
Here's one that was more than a bit of a puzzle and I'm not sure of the exact wording and usage date.

As far as I can see it is as shown below and was used at Exeter Mail Centre xx-03-2021; the xx can't be 26 because that that's what it looks like, but that is today. It must be 24 or 25th.
150 years of
International rugby
England v Scotland
27 March 1871

Ian,
I would go for the 20th as the second digit looks very similar to the '0' in the month and that in 2021

norvic

Post by norvic »

Yes, but we had the clock-change on 23rd, Census on 16th in both cases possibly on other days as well, and this has only just arrived according to my correspondent. I'll have to wait for others to contribute.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Amen Corner Tooting SW17 counter date stamp B, 10.AP.03 or 08 (I thought that the band may have come from here but they were named after an event in Cardiff.)

Fifers Lane Norwich counter date stamp B, 8 --- 17

Shipley West Yorkshire -6- counter date stamp 25 MY 77

Amen Corner Tooting SW17 counter date stamp B.
Amen Corner Tooting SW17 counter date stamp B.

Fifers Lane Norwich counter date stamp B.
Fifers Lane Norwich counter date stamp B.

Rog

Post by Rog »

norvic wrote:
27 Mar 2021 07:21
Yes, but we had the clock-change on 23rd...
Did you get in early Ian?

We're not doing it until this coming Sunday :)

As for the illusive number it could well be a 3 too.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Rog wrote:
27 Mar 2021 08:14
norvic wrote:
Yes, but we had the clock-change slogan on 23rd... :roll:

norvic

Post by norvic »

Packet Stamps from Mail Centres, approximately alphabtecially.

ABERDEEN MAIL CENTRE / AB12 3TT -3 APR 2017

ROYAL MAIL BRADFORD 23 NOV 2000 3 OR 9

BRISTOL MAIL CENTRE 1 APR 014

BRISTOL / 22 / BATH AND TAUNTON 29 JNE 20--

ABERDEEN MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
ABERDEEN MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

ROYAL MAIL BRADFORD  packet postmark.
ROYAL MAIL BRADFORD packet postmark.

BRISTOL MAIL CENTRE  packet postmark.
BRISTOL MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

BRISTOL BATH AND TAUNTON packet postmark.
BRISTOL BATH AND TAUNTON packet postmark.

norvic

Post by norvic »

CAMBRIDGE MAIL CENTRE / CB1 7QQ 2011

CANTERBURY MAIL CENTRE / CT1 1AA 7 DEC 2009

CHESTER N.WALES / CAERGOG, CYMRU 3 APR 2009

CROYDON MAIL CENTRE 25 MCH 2008 & CROYDON / MAIL CENTRE 25 SEP 2014

CAMBRIDGE MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
CAMBRIDGE MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

CANTERBURY MAIL CENTRE / CT1 1AA packet postmark.
CANTERBURY MAIL CENTRE / CT1 1AA packet postmark.

CHESTER N.WALES / CAERGOG, CYMRU packet postmark.
CHESTER N.WALES / CAERGOG, CYMRU packet postmark.

CROYDON MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
CROYDON MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

CROYDON / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
CROYDON / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

norvic

Post by norvic »

EDINBURGH / MAIL CENTRE 30 OCT 2013

GREENFORD/WINDSOR / MAIL CENTRE / 807 / UB6 0GG 30 JUN 2009

ROYAL MAIL / LIVERPOOL L3 1AA 1- JUNE 2009

ROYAL MAIL MANCHESTER / MAIL CENTRE 30 SEP 2010

MILTON KEYNES MAIL CENTRE 2- OCT 2009

EDINBURGH / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
EDINBURGH / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

GREENFORD/WINDSOR / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
GREENFORD/WINDSOR / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

ROYAL MAIL / LIVERPOOL packet postmark.
ROYAL MAIL / LIVERPOOL packet postmark.

ROYAL MAIL MANCHESTER / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
ROYAL MAIL MANCHESTER / MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

MILTON KEYNES MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.
MILTON KEYNES MAIL CENTRE packet postmark.

Rog

Post by Rog »

norvic wrote:
27 Mar 2021 08:22
Rog wrote:
27 Mar 2021 08:14
norvic wrote:
Yes, but we had the clock-change slogan on 23rd... :roll:

Ahh, now I see :D

norvic

Post by norvic »

PLYMOUTH / DEVON 12 SEP 2011

PRESTON MC / LANCASHIRE SOUTH LAKES 29 APR 2010

WARRINGTON / MAIL CENTRE 28 NOV 2010

TYNESIDE MAIL CENTRE 13 APR 2015

PMC / PE4 5PE - 29 JUN 2011 and PETERBOROUGH / PE4 5PE - 19 CT 2010

PLYMOUTH / DEVON packet stamp
PLYMOUTH / DEVON packet stamp

PRESTON MC / LANCASHIRE SOUTH LAKES packet stamp
PRESTON MC / LANCASHIRE SOUTH LAKES packet stamp

WARRINGTON / MAIL CENTRE  packet stamp
WARRINGTON / MAIL CENTRE packet stamp

TYNESIDE MAIL CENTRE packet stamp
TYNESIDE MAIL CENTRE packet stamp

PETERBOROUGH / PE4 5PE packet stamp, two versions.
PETERBOROUGH / PE4 5PE packet stamp, two versions.

norvic

Post by norvic »

YORK - 14 APR 200?

SWANSEA MC / SA1 1AA - 08 SEP 2016 oval packet stamp

SPECIAL DELIVERY / ROYAL MAIL MOUNT PLEASANT 2010, with lower caption seriffed and upper sans-serif, apparently.

YORK  packet postmark.
YORK packet postmark.

SWANSEA MC / SA1 1AA packet postmark.
SWANSEA MC / SA1 1AA packet postmark.

SPECIAL DELIVERY / ROYAL MAIL MOUNT PLEASANT packet postmark.
SPECIAL DELIVERY / ROYAL MAIL MOUNT PLEASANT packet postmark.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Ambleside, Cumbria † 1998 postmark
Ambleside, Cumbria † 1998 postmark

Re-aligned image
Re-aligned image

norvic

Post by norvic »

Latest slogans, bu not very good examples!

Firstly a better example of the First International Rugby slogan from Lancashire and South Lakes MC 26/03/2021 and one in the other format on a crumpled letter from Swindon (same date)

Rugby-EngvScot-1871 Lancashire & South Lakes 20210326.jpg

Postmark slogan: 150th anniversary of the first international rugby match, England v Scotland 1871.
Postmark slogan: 150th anniversary of the first international rugby match, England v Scotland 1871.

The following day the slogan was changed to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of London's Royal Albert Hall also in 1871. This one is from Manchester Mail Centre on 27-03-2021.

Postmark slogan: 150th anniversary of the opening of the Royal Albert Hall.
Postmark slogan: 150th anniversary of the opening of the Royal Albert Hall.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Nether Heyford, Northamptonshire
Nether Heyford, Northamptonshire

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”