NWPI stamp overprints discussion - the various Settings etc

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: NWPI stamp overprints discussion - the various Settings etc

Post by Kainnikanada »

GB 789

We should be able to identify that stamp's position based on a combination of the overprint row and Monk's flaw listing. The latter's 1d flaw checklist has a comprehensive listing of compartment lines embedded in the illustrations. We alsofied have the "Compartment" wiki which has a comprehensive listing of all flaws found on each identified plate position

There might be a watermark line near the right side of the stamp looking from the face side, Can we also see the reverse notwithstanding Derbyboi's comment regarding the location of most compartment lines.

You should always post a scan of the reverse to help in the identification of any Geo V or Roo.
Time to quit. Was told what I should collect.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

GB 789,

Your stamp is from position 12 of a block of 30 stamps. It is from the second row of five rows of 6 stamps Usually one can see a hollow stop after the 'S' of 'ISLANDS' as. the stop wore.

Based on the strong bold compartment line you probably have a stamp from Pane 4.

david3461
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by david3461 »

Following up from Kainnikanada's comment, below is a copy of cliche 4/12.

While the compartment lines can vary considerably from print to print, there is often enough evidence to suggest a likeness by comparison.

For me, 4/12 is pretty close to the mark

Cheers David

4-12 S1.jpg

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

GB 789,

Please note the overprint david3461 posted is from a different setting of the overprint. The stamps are from the same plate position.

The difference in the notches in the left sides of the As separate the two Settings as does the position of the P' of "PACIFIC" above the 'IS' of "ISLANDS".

Thanks David.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

GB 789

I neglected to state you have SG 67 while David showed you an example of SG 103.

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by GB 789 »

Kainnikanada wrote:
13 Jul 2021 10:07
GB 789

I neglected to state you have SG 67 while David showed you an example of SG 103.
Many thanks to you and David for your help. I have attached the rear image of the stamp too which shows the misplaced margin lines. What may look like a thin on the LH side of the stamp is actually some remaining gum.

These being seemingly fairly common, is there much of a market for these compartmental line varieties or are they more of a curio?

This stamp was in a lot of a few 100s of these I purchased a while ago but never had chance to really look at. I may give them more time now even though the settings described in this thread seem to make them rather complicated.
Rear image of scan showing the misplaced margin.
Rear image of scan showing the misplaced margin.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

GB 789

To most collectors the stamp is certainly a curiosity and has no significant incremental value.

To collectors who specialize in plating it is interesting and might be appreciated and valued as an addition to their collection notwithstanding that its commercial value is still not beyond a common portion of catalogue price.

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Kainnikanada wrote:
14 Jul 2021 04:24
GB 789

To most collectors the stamp is certainly a curiosity and has no significant incremental value.

To collectors who specialize in plating it is interesting and might be appreciated and valued as an addition to their collection notwithstanding that its commercial value is still not beyond a common portion of catalogue price.
Thanks. Well I’ll find time over the next few weeks to look at the other stamps in the lot and show any other similar varieties I find 😊

Derbyboi2
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

GB 789

When looking at the 1d Red NWPI overprints there are listed flaws in SG that are worth considerably more than their Australian un-overprinted counterparts when used.

Specifically as follows in 4th and 5th settings

1. Die 2
2. Dot before 1 in right hand value tablet
3. RA Joined
4. Flaw on Neck
5. Secret Mark

These are all catalogued around the £100 mark.

The sub cliches at 6/4 and 6/5 used un-overprinted are catalogued at £60 each but overprinted NWPI they are over £600 used. Interestingly mint Sub cliches are £2000 for OZ and £1000 for NWPI.

Happy hunting.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

TH NWPI OS covers arrived from Gartner today.

I attach scans of the 4d Violet (plated as 1R5) and the 6d Greyish Ultramarine Die 2b. The 4d Violet is one of three known on cover and the 6d is a new discovery. No other 6d Die 2b stamps have been seen on cover. This makes the census for the OS 6d on cover as 1 Ultramarine, 1 Greyish Ultramarine Die 2 (Damaged) and 1 Greyish Ultramarine Die 2b.

OS 4d and 6D.jpg
OS 4d nick at top left.jpg

OS 6d Die 2b cover stamp.jpg

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

A very nice pickup on these particularly the 6d. Die IIB greyish ultra OS. They are hard to find as individual stamps let alone on official cover 8-)
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

OHMS legit covers too. :)

How badly did the VATMAN slug you in the end? :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Hi Glen

Having held on to the lots for 11 days the VAT on the lot came to 5% (exactly what it should have been) plus £25 handling fee although it did take me two emails to them to ensure the right VAT commodity code was applied,

Of course the real problem occurred when I opened the lots and found one of them, a cover clearly marked as 'SGO18 2d Orange perforated OS' in at least three places and in the auction catalogue, turned out to be SG121, plain old unpunctured Orange,

I have no idea how such reputable auctioneers can make such simple mistakes. It will be going back.......

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Another auction 'find'.

NWPI 3d 3rd watermark ABC strip of three all Die 2.

There are only 2 ABC strips of Die 2 possible in a sheet of 120. Although mint examples exist this is the first used strip I have come across in over 20 years of collecting NWPI. Interestingly the Die 2/Die 1 used pair is unpriced in SG. There are a possible 11 Die 2/Die 1 pairs per sheet and they are also exceedingly scarce.

SG 3d Die 2 strip close up.jpg

The strip also benefits from much better than average centreing for this issue, although until it arrives I cannot comment on whether there is a thin at upper right of the 'C' unit or whether is it just dirt. As with any unit this scarce, condition isn't necessarily the overriding consideration. At £680 the strip is definitely under-catalogued and I paid just under 30% of cat for it. Still a bargain in my eyes as it fills a gap that I might have to wait another 30 years to fill.

Wolfgang
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Wolfgang »

Congratulation Robert on this very interesting find and addition to your collection!
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: www.i-ng.org/en
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Wolfgang

Thanks for that. Hope you are keeping well!

Robert

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

The strip of three used Die 2 mentioned three posts up has now arrived. There is no toning nor other issues on the reverse. In fact the strip has full gum and has a hinge mark on the top stamp only.

It is most unusual to find NWPI stamps CTO'd with full gum. I imagine a dealer in the UK (from where I bought it) had ordered 'used' stamps, and a pane or panes were duly produced which would be broken up on arrival at the dealer's. I may be wrong as there are no records extant of used stamps being sold other than the 'bogus' 1d surcharges of 1918 when nearly every used stamp in circulation was CTO'd at source.

I have 11 separate stamps from a single pane of the 3d 3rd watermark 4th setting which have all been cancelled at Herbertshohe on the same date in March 1916. This pane contained the Die 2 units but all are without gum and in the 'dirty olive shade' generally associated with this early 4th setting printing. The Rabaul Die 2 ABC strip is certainly tending to the pale olive green shade and is much more aesthetically pleasing.

I would almost be prepared to wager that there isn't another in existence.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

When I say it is most uncommon for CTO'd NWPI to exist with full gum I discount the UPU sets of July 1915 which were all sent out with full gum.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Earlier in the month I posted that I had purchased what I thought was going to be a mint pair of SG110aa 6d Ultramarine from One-stop-stamp-shop and that the price reflected that others thought that also. It also reflected the 'obvious' condition issues. The original scan was extremely poor showing what seemed to be quite severe toning to the lower portion of the stamp. There seemed to be perforation issues also.

The vendor had described the item as '6d Kangaroo 1918-25 RARE'. The word Rare seems to be used in every description of theirs and the basic Die 2 stamp in ultramarine is about the cheapest NWPI stamp available.

The pair arrived yesterday and it became clear that the vendor had taken a photograph of the item rather than scanning it and that the back lighting had first given the impression that the stamp was ultramarine and secondly that the 'toning' was a shadow.

6d Die 2b Violet Blue pair (3).jpg

The 'perforation issues' were merely Harrison's 'fluffy' perfs many of which are still blind and there is neither toning to the front nor the back.

The pair are, of course, Die 2b but in the Violet Blue shade (Greyish Ultramarine in SG). This pair (SG110b) is priced at £1500 used and unpriced mint in Part 1 and is the first mint pair I have seen. A silver lining indeed.

It will now sit perfectly with the only used pair known and the discovery pair of the Ultramarine SG110aa and will make a pretty display.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Congratulation on another nice find!
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: www.i-ng.org/en
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Thanks Wolfgang

robert

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

A nice cheap find - 4d Violet on postcard 27th September 1922 showing ACSC listed flaw 111(2)d 'left frame broken at top, 5th setting - stamp has no faults.

4d Violet 600 dpi.jpg

4d Violet 1200 dpi.jpg

An absolute bargain [at] $US18

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Robert,

That's a nice acquisition. 4ds on postcards are rare items.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Thanks Rod

Robert

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Robert,

I cannot locate the email you sent regarding this item. Can we see a scan of the reverse? Would like to see to what destination it was posted to.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Glen

Our view of the first watermark NWPI £1 (ie that it was under-catalogued) has obviously been picked up by SG as the 2022 catalogue has increased the value from £750 to £1500. Still slightly low but a move in the right direction.

I came across one at Stampex yesterday with the UPU date 5th July 1916 advertised as an SG 99 for less than 20% of the new cat value. I didn't buy it then but I have bought it online today at a further discount. I just hope the dealer doesn't pick it up and send me a used SG99!

Once it arrives it will wing its way to Canada to join its brothers and sisters with Rod.

The big surprise was the increase in price of the NWPI OS 6d Greyish Ultramarine Die 2b by 300% to £750 from £250.

As I have the only cover bearing this stamp the catalogue value on cover (from x 8) increased from £2000 to £6000 overnight a handy increase of £4000.

As Gartner mis-described the cover as bearing a simple Die 2 (which remains at £200) it becomes more and more of a bargain!

Robert

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”