Australia PO 1946 Food Gift Parcel Labels to UK discussion.

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

collectrix
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Australian 1940s Food parcel label like this - WANTED!!!

Post by collectrix »

traralgon3844 wrote:I was having a look around using different search criteria and found this label.

It appears to be from 1948 and the vendor has grouped it with Myer labels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTRALIA-EXPRESS-PARCELS-LABEL-SYDNEY-TO-UK-PAID-/232064626722

When I first saw this label I wondered why it had a British parcel postmark, which would imply it was posted in Britain rather than Australia.

It turns out that this particular scheme allowed people to deposit 10/- and an addressed parcel label at an Australian bank. The labels were sent to the scheme headquarters in Sydney, and then flown to Great Britain for further distribution.

Five packing centres were established in the UK, including Chippenham in Wiltshire which is where this label was postmarked.

The scheme was ended on 4 January 1951 at a ceremony in the presence of Princess Alice, to mark the presentation of the final 300,000th parcel.

This information was based on several references to the 'Express Parcels Service' which I found in the Australian National Library's 'Trove' system.

Nina

dukeprince
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dukeprince »

dukeprince wrote:
vikingeck wrote:I'm Kicking myself , because I was the underbidder on just such a pair here in the UK a month ago . Both by the same ebay seller in UK.

My snipes of £25 on each were beaten. so obviously too low. ($45 each )

A Melbourne seller had one of the 5/10d rate which I bought for quite a bit less than his asking price of £100 ($180) as it has been on his inventory for quite a few months now.

As a matter of passing interest ,the Postage of 5/10d is hefty compared to the declared value of the contents, which came to 10/6d for a parcel weighing 7 lbs 4oz.

This puts the receipt label of 10/- shown above into context . It just about buys the contents of a parcel!
I conclude that A$100 is a start point for the 3/7 + 5/10 , and A$200 for a nice one is not out of the question, its roughly what I thought, someone please correct me if I am wrong.
The posting today by Collectrix shows what appears to be the GB end label pertaining to the 10/- paid into bank in australia stub.

Refer problems to Staverton Wilts is mentioned in hand writing on rear of stub.

We are building great reference material on this site I feel.

The addition to top of stub of roman numeral for 3 suggests it was version 3 of the scheme , anyone know additional information?

collectrix

Re: Australia PO 1946 Food Gift Parcel Labels to UK discussi

Post by collectrix »

As best as I could tell from Trove, the parcel labels were issued in Australia, not Britain. If you look at the perforated edges on the label and stub, it would appear that the left hand side of the stub was attached to the right hand side of the label.

It seems that the sender would address the label and perhaps write 'from' and 'to' names on the stub, after making payment to the bank. Presumably the bank teller (cashier) would stamp the stub and return it to the person making the gift.

Apparently these labels could also be applied for by post, by sending the recipient's address on a sheet of paper together with a cheque, money order or postal order to the fund headquarters. Donors were requested to include a stamped self addressed envelope, which would be used to return details of the flight and parcel number to the sender. (Note the 6 figure number at the centre top of the label shown in this thread.)

My Trove reference for these comments is "The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser" Friday 5 March 1948.

Dukeprince please excuse me if I have misunderstood your post.

dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

collectrix wrote:As best as I could tell from Trove, the parcel labels were issued in Australia, not Britain. If you look at the perforated edges on the label and stub, it would appear that the left hand side of the stub was attached to the right hand side of the label.

It seems that the sender would address the label and perhaps write 'from' and 'to' names on the stub, after making payment to the bank. Presumably the bank teller (cashier) would stamp the stub and return it to the person making the gift.

The two labelsmay have been joined once but the
Apparently these labels could also be applied for by post, by sending the recipient's address on a sheet of paper together with a cheque, money order or postal order to the fund headquarters. Donors were requested to include a stamped self addressed envelope, which would be used to return details of the flight and parcel number to the sender. (Note the 6 figure number at the centre top of the label shown in this thread.)

My Trove reference for these comments is "The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser" Friday 5 March 1948.

Dukeprince please excuse me if I have misunderstood your post.
They may have been once joined but label is red and the stub is black,unless over the years the colours were changed,very interesting we will keep an open mind and keep investigating.

Thanks your inputs,john

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

Rod Perry wrote:Here is a Parcel Post label franked for 3/7d Food parcel rate.

I have found these considerably scarcer than the 3/7d Stationery cut-out.
Rod
I just received these two Customs Declaration for Food Parcels, both of which were for the 3/7d rate.

Both from a large volume sender in Adelaide: "U.K. Food Parcels" who had various rubber stamps made up to endorse the labels.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

A remarkably high proportion of the labels I have seen come from South Australia in comparison to other states. Is there a reason why this should be ? or have I been misled by the samples I have seen.

Traralgon are these for sale ?
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

traralgon3844 wrote:
Shame neither end used a dated cds. :roll:

There were spaces for it both ends.

As the PO Form number was '12.45' date we can assume this was sent in 1946, well after war ended.

What I can't follow it is addressed simply to "Kent" which is an entire county not a town. Gawd help Royal Mail delivering that.

In general they were delivered to a specific person (relative) in specific town in our concerted quest to save Britain from starving.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Global Administrator wrote:
traralgon3844 wrote:
Shame neither end used a dated cds. :roll:

There were spaces for it both ends.

As the PO Form number was '12.45' date we can assume this was sent in 1946, well after war ended.

What I can't follow it is addressed simply to "Kent" which is an entire county not a town. Gawd help Royal Mail delivering that.

In general they were delivered to a specific person (relative) in specific town in our concerted quest to save Britain from starving.
There is a hand stamp which says NEAREST RED CROSS that would not be difficult to deliver for distribution to some one in need

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

No kidding. "NEAREST RED CROSS KENT" is very precise.

Bit like "Deliver to Stamp Dealer, New South Wales."

Royal Mail would have loved to have had your guidance and leadership I am sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

I submit that THE RED CROSS is a bit bigger Organisation than a piddling "NSW Stamp dealer" (though even Australia Post could possibly find one...…………….eventually :lol: :lol: :lol: ) .

and as such ANY RED CROSS DEPOT in Kent would do, one would be easy to find and glad to accept the parcels.

One only has to look at the many partial addresses those guys at Royal Mail deal with and successfully deliver, the stories are legion and many are legendary.

Great detectives in Royal Mail so the don't need me.

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

I am sure any Red Cross centre in the UK would of been glad to receive this parcel.

Sounds like a "group" ? sending from SA... Maybe church or Salvos?

It was sent to Kent, UK , and no doubt, distributed to people in need by the receiving Red Cross branch.

Better to receive in need not greed,

If it went to NSW dealers maybe a different story...?

Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Here's a 3/7d Food Gift Parcel Label to Epsom ,Surrey UK or To Nearest Hospital.

Sent by Society of Friends
20 Russell St
Melbourne
From The Staff Money Order Office GPO Mebourne.
Like the other one its not dated. I've put a 2nd scan of the end with hand stamp or machine.
In-case someone sees something
Peter
Anythings for sale, If the price is right. Send a board email.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Very cool - shame the cds was not used in space provided!

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

The Bid Daddy of Food Parcel labels:

Lot 808 Millennium Auctions November 19 2018

https://www.millenniumauctions.com.au/search.php3?showcatego ... _auction=0

Good luck getting it in $6000/8000 range. Last time it was offered at auction, in 2005, it realized $24000.
Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 1/11d parcel post label:
A 1/6d Hermes and two 2½d KGVI paid for the 2 lb. parcel of sugar to be delivered to the Kensington, London Red Cross. The parcel was postmarked on 26 MY 48 from ?rne Junction, New South Wales.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Most likely Cremorne Junction.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hello Ubobo.R.O.,

I appreciate your letting me know.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

agondocz wrote:Hi,

A 1/11d parcel post label:
A 1/6d Hermes and two 2½d KGVI paid for the 2 lb. parcel of sugar to be delivered to the Kensington, London Red Cross. The parcel was postmarked on 26 MY 48 from ?rne Junction, New South Wales.

Best wishes,
AndrewG
I've found the 1/11d labels to be rather scarce.

Perhaps the weight allowed was considered a bit mean, in comparison with allowances for 3/7d and 5/10d parcels?

Rod

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rod Perry wrote:
Australia - 1946 Myer Emporium 3/7d Food Parcel Label Mint

Good luck getting it in $6000/8000 range. Last time it was offered at auction, in 2005, it realized $24000.
Rod

If that is the case Rod, (and wow, can't recall them getting such money) Geoff Kellow was highly remiss for not mentioning that $24,000 previous realisation in the catalogue - cost the vendor several $1000s probably.

For the record, I'll add here the 5/10d Blue Anthony Hordern Food Parcel label image. The Silverfish have had a good feed on it, but it still was invoiced for $A7,280. :)

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

Am I correct in my reading that lot 808 at the Millennium sale sold for a hammer price of $8,500?

If the vendor of "The Bid Daddy of Food Parcel labels" was one and the same person who bought it at auction for $24000 in 2005 I hope that he or she derived some considerable pleasure in owning it for the past 12 or 13 years.

Regards,

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes, hammer was $8,500, so $9,900 invoice plus shipping.

If it did once sell for $24,000, very slack for that not to be mentioned in current lot write up. :roll:

Two mint copies are known as per ACSC, (Watson says 3) all presumably with the same vertical creases, from the Myer Advertising Manager at the time it seems, according to ACSC.

Successful sales is 50% research, and 50% material at times. Remove the research, and you remove much potential value in cases like this. :idea:

If someone offered it to me, and told me, and proved to me it had sold 13 years back at Auction, they'd have ended up with many $1000s more, same day, than they will get here. FACT!

Glen

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Australia 1946/1947 Anthony Hordern 5/10d Food Parcel Label

Whilst researching what 3/7d mint labels had sold for (found no records) I did see this got $10,350 at Prestige in 2008 - estimate $5000, so much bidding.

Again, a bullish and very relevant recent sale not mentioned by Millennium.

The ONLY Anthony Hordern 5/10d Food Parcel Label known, not just in used, but no mint are known to have survived.

ACSC latest Edition has it listed at just $7,500. VERY strange figure based on the last Public Auction result.

https://www.prestigephilately.com/catlot.php?acode=239223&au ... ustps&lim=

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

I wasn't casting any aspersions on Millennium and I don't know that referring to a 2008 realization in the lot description would have produced a better result. It may have done so.

For all I know, the 2008 result may have been an aberration in heady pre-GFC times.

I think this week's outcome may be a salient reminder that in philately, as in many other areas, past performance is not a foolproof indicator of future success.

Regards,

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I did a summary of these labels in my ''Stamp News'' column this month - might attract some new fans to this field!

http://www.glenstephens.com/snjanuary19.html

Glen

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

Rod Perry wrote:

Rod
A clarification.

The item did sell for $24000 in 2005, and the Millennium offering above is that very item.

The 2005 result, however, was achieved by Private Sale, not auction, I'm corrected by Mark Knothe, who was involved in the transaction at the time.

Rod

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Australia PO 1946 Food Gift Parcel Labels to UK discussion.

Post by The Pom »

This was in a stockbook of otherwise fairly junky duplicates that arrived this morning.

The 5/- Robes is the thin paper type which is CV $400 "on cover". Not the most informative postmark!

Any clue on a value? There are some tone spots, and a bit of damage lower right.

Parcel label 5/10d rate
Parcel label 5/10d rate
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Good to see we were paving the way for the modern British diet - paying very good money to mail animal fat dripping, Peanut Butter and Camp Pie (=Spam!) some 10,000 miles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No origin or date hurts it of course, as does condition,

But I bet if offered here for ~40 quid someone would take a punt. :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Rod Perry wrote:
07 Dec 2018 10:01
Rod Perry wrote:

Rod
A clarification.

The item did sell for $24000 in 2005, and the Millennium offering above is that very item.

The 2005 result, however, was achieved by Private Sale, not auction, I'm corrected by Mark Knothe, who was involved in the transaction at the time.

Rod

Yeah. Riiiiiiggghhhhtttt. Zero proof of course. :roll:

Browny
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Browny »

foodlabel.jpg

Hi All,

Here's a food parcel label from G.P.O. Perth, WA.

Sent 1941 (Dec I think, but largely illegible), to W. Wimbledon.

Parcel contained dried fruits: ½lb each of apricots, plums, raisins, and nectarines, + 1lb of 'sweets'.

Net weight 3lb.

My query is on the charge of 2/10-.

If there was only 3 rates (1/11d, 3/7d, & 5/10d) then can anyone help explain this 2/10- rate for me??

Cheers.
Browny.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Browny wrote:
01 Aug 2020 22:03

My query is on the charge of 2/10-.

If there was only 3 rates (1/11d, 3/7d, & 5/10d) then can anyone help explain this 2/10- rate for me??

It seems likely there was a 2/10d concession rate for 3 lbs. But lightly used, and no special embossed stamp label, so few retained.

The 5/10d for 11 lbs was the BEST value and most heavily used, and the one the department stores pushed hardest - more money for them of course in the goods!.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”