The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Bizone)

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

OldDuffer1
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Biz

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Speaking of Band and Net overprints, we have discussed previously why there is, in many cases, a very big difference between the scarcity of one over the other, for particular values. This can be seen from the catalogue values and by making counts of those available "on the market".

For instance, for Mi37 (6Pf) Michel gives a value of 4 Euros for 37I (Band) covers and 15 Euros for 37II (Net). This gives a ratio of 1:3.75. However, a rough count of covers from Ebay.de gives a frequency ratio of 14:1 in favour of 37I. In fact, taking it from catalogue values only, for the lower values the Net version is always scarcer, for the middle values it is fairly random, but for the higher values it is the Band version which is scarcer.

Here is a typical and commonly available Printed Matter 37I cover:

Here is a philatelic cover bearing 37II showing that even in 1948 it was recognised that this was the scarcer version:

The legend translates as "OVERPRINT OF 6Pf RARE"

Michel states that "individual regional postal administrations were responsible for having stamps overprinted, and they used private printers in their regions". It seems very unlikely, if the overprinting was done at a number of sites, that these differences would occur- you would expect them to even out by random chance. Perhaps Michel is wrong about this and that the stamps were overprinted centrally and distributed in the usual way, or perhaps there is another explanation?

It is quite interesting to see the other side of this card (dated 10.07.48) as it gives a current price list of Allied Occupation issues:

johnrcrow
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by johnrcrow »

In answer to having the rarer unofficial stamps.

None I am afraid unless one is lurking in a box.

My next attempt at a gut feel buy.

Very interesting post (last one by you OldDuffer1) and as usual a study on stamps.

I am not sure about the centralisation of overprinting as they show very wide variations (more easily seen for the type I). I would have expected a centralised printing to be less variable.

John

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

One possibility is that they started with the "Band" overprint and on the lower values, also the 24Pf (Mi44) since, being the regional letter rate, there would be a large demand. (44II being scarcer). Then maybe the plates, or whatever they used, started to wear out so they introduced the "Net" ones for the less used and higher value stamps? This must have all been done some time before the actual issue dates- several weeks? (And presumably in some secrecy as with the currency introduction!).

It has probably all been discussed on German Language blogs but then....!

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Here are a few examples of stamps just obtained.

The emphasis for rarity and hence CV in Michel for these is that they are never hinged mint as opposed to used examples.

Stamps are separated in terms of watermark, perforation and image characteristics.

My example of 1 DM Mi.97 Ia Y D

Watermark here is Y.
The a is determined from number of steps in archway (3)
The I is determined as there are no downward stripes in top right horizontal lines around the castle turret.
The D is for perforation 11 x11½

Here are a few details for the issues.

Watermarks .

Type I and Type II difference.

Type I. No vertical lines.

Type II. Vertical lines.

Steps. Here are 7 in archway.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

My example of Mi. 98 I Y B, NHM.

B perforation is 11 x 11.

My two examples of Mi. 100 II Y B, NHM.

Ignore the X in last stamp header between Y and B (mistake).

I do not like it when pencil is used in selvedges!

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Here is a great flaw on NHM Mi.34, 80Pf.

Mi.34 I Flaw. Blob above ´0` in ´80`.

Flaw Mi. 34 I enlarged

CV for NHM €500!

Another interesting pair of Mi. 72 50Pf + 50Pf Cologne Cathedral.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Here are a few more gains. Some proofed. Where is shade in proofing?

Mi.93 I X B, NHM.

Ribbon shows on back (unusual).

Mi.57I. NHM.

Mi. 62 I. Nice example of 1.3 with parallel segments.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks again for these johnrcrow. Some pretty subtle differences in those Mark values!

My copies seem to have 4 steps (although not easy to count-even with a magnifier)- so commonest type! (The 3 Mark looked initially like 3 but there seems to be a feint 4th lurking there as well).

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Steps less than the 7 steps of Ic, i.e., 3 steps for Ia and 5 steps for 1b are sometimes not so easy.

The 4 steps (type I) are most common but the top step, as you say, can be faint.

I am just into sorting out the many possibilities of these issues.

Has to be labour of love however, the scarcer NHM ones I showed are useful as a start.

The various types of the lower denominations are legion.

As mentioned before here , there are many many flaws....or to be flawed, flwas!

chaulkdust
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by chaulkdust »

Just came across you post here. I haven’t been working on my stamps for a while. Just got started back on the building series, or should say, starting to look at these items. Looks extremely complicated with all the options present? Anyway, I did pick up the building series working group notes from 1956 till 2001 in 4 binders for $4.

I am hoping to find some insight amongst all the notes. I haven’t gone through the whole thing yet, but a lot of info on sheet reconstruction. Hope all the plate flaws will be shown somewhere?
Presently I have a lot of these on paper to soak and get organized. Probably have a thousand or so done and several more thousands to finish up. You had mentioned that at one time you were thinking of doing a separate thread for the building series – I would be happy to participate if you are so inclined.
Best Regards

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Looks an interesting lot Chaulk.

Open it up and let us see.

Although complex it is interesting and not too difficult area provided watermark can be made out, perfs measured and type assessed.

I am sorting mine out now.

Also rescanning the 60 Pfs you mentioned in e mail.

Best regards

John

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

John what is the best way to evaluate these stamps? Usually I check for flaws/faults 1st but it seems like I end up revisiting and looking again later for perfs/watermarks? Do you just do a complete check as you look at each stamp or somehow divide them up into different batches based on attributes? I’m tired of soaking so I’m going to start looking at the stamps. Have them simply organized by face value now 2,4,5,6 etc. for the series.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Chaulk. A complicated area indeed.

It depends on what you are after.

If you want to try and get as many variants as possible one has to look at perfs, Wmks and types, so individual stamps have to be looked at in some detail.

Used examples generally command a low CV but there are some rarities.

So the 2Pf Mi.73 Wmk, perf Z B 11 x 11 or better the Z F 11¼ x 11 have used CV of €120 and €850 respectively.

5Pf Mi75 XB 11 x 11 CV €7000
10Pf Mi. 80I WB, WN, WP, WS and XB all very high CVs.
20 Pf. Mi.85YA CV €1500, and ZB €200, and ZF €1300
25Pf Mi.87 II WA CV €1500, 87IIWP cv €100

There are another 30 or so examples of high CV for used stamps where the perfs and Wmks are rare.

So although these are unlikely, in order to assess them one must look all stamps.

What I am doing os to of course sort into denominations.

Then I sort into readable watermarks (not always easy).

Then perfs where it is easy to separate the perf 14 s from the 11s.

Then take a denomination and nail the accurate perfs.

Then look at any types with various combinations of perfs.

Flaws can be assessed at any time I suppose, but we need a good reference source for these.

It may be better to start a new thread as you suggested. At least we can fiddle there and maybe come up with some scarce examples.

I will try, at least others will begin to understand the definitions.

John

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Sounds great john. I have started to look at the stamps and will try to get them organized. So far I seem to have lots of the common items. But they they all need to be looked at one way or the other. Let me know when you start the new thread.

Chaulk

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

New thread at:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=84054

"Structures series of American & British Zone Germany 1948/52"

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a Registered cover, recently obtained, bearing a 60Pf Mi49II:

As previously mentioned the 49I and 49II are scarcer than the A49I and A49II. This has the added interest of being dated 01.09.48, the date on which postal rates dropped making it a "first day at this rate" cover!

The reverse shows that it arrived at its destination on the same day. Pretty impressive!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a pretty standard Regional Letter with a "Berlin Buildings" set stamp (I just wanted an example):

BERLIN Mi49

It just occurred to me that this was probably not a very good place to site a Fireworks Factory! :D

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

OldDuffer1 wrote: By the way, any theories on why two different designs of overprint were chosen?
Although I have no proof it seems possible that the "Ribbon" design was first used. As can be seen from the many variations shown above in this thread this seems to have led to a myriad of registration problems and presumably quite a lot of waste examples. Obviously it is difficult to tell what was "acceptable" but used inverted examples are certainly seen.

The fact that vertical pairs are found, one with normal and one with inverted overprints also suggests some kind of "half-plate" system of printing? (I know nothing about printing, however!). This could have led to further problems.

Perhaps it was felt that an overall "Net" design would give less of these problems? Although copies are seen with both overprints- how did that happen?

Any thoughts?

Rein

Post by Rein »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Thanks for your kind remarks and fascinating posts, johnrcrow. This all seems to point to plates (?) being supplied centrally to the different Postal Districts- quite an operation!

Can anyone fill us in on the exact way these types of overprints would have been carried out? I, for one, am very hazy about the printing techniques involved!
https://www.amazon.de/Währungsreform-1948-Provisorien-Bizone-Bandaufdruck/dp/3842379129/

The original ribbon and net patterns were replicated 16 times in order to be send to the various OPD's . [postal districts].

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks for that Rein.

Here is an image, from the same source, of a printing plate used to produce the "band" pattern:

Rein

Post by Rein »

An essential peculiarity was added for these temporary currency arrangements: Since the British and Americans did not want to order the overprint from the State Printing Office in Berlin for reasons of secrecy, the 15 OPDs were given the matrices by the Central Office for the Unified Economic Area in Frankfurt and were commissioned to look for a local print shop, i.e. a total of 15, in order to carry out the overprint in letterpress on the RM sheet, which had already been perforated. However, the composition of the black colour to be used was not specified. It must therefore be assumed that very different types of black were used. This results in overprints ranging from sooty black to glossy deep.

Rein

Post by Rein »

Rein wrote:
OldDuffer1 wrote:Thanks for your kind remarks and fascinating posts, johnrcrow. This all seems to point to plates (?) being supplied centrally to the different Postal Districts- quite an operation!

Can anyone fill us in on the exact way these types of overprints would have been carried out? I, for one, am very hazy about the printing techniques involved!
https://www.amazon.de/Währungsreform-1948-Provisorien-Bizone-Bandaufdruck/dp/3842379129/

The original ribbon and net patterns were replicated 16 times in order to be send to the various OPD's . [postal districts].
Field characteristics and plateflaws - are distinguished depending on the point in time
of the original subdivided into
- Primary errors that are already present in the original cliché
- Secondary errors, which were created during the production of printing matrices from the original cliché.
- Tertiary errors, which were created on site in the printing shop of the individual OPD.

This is especially true for the overprint matrices. For both types - ribbon and net - there were so-called original clichés with some errors, i.e. primary errors (PM). During the production of the so-called "stereo" matrices for distribution to the 15 OPDs - without Berlin - obviously further errors occurred - as the evaluation of the existing matrix of the OPD Kiel shows, mainly due to casting errors such as shrinkage holes, casting tips, etc. The "stereo" matrices were produced in the same way as the "stereo" matrices. -so that different types of matrices were created. When these matrices were used in the local printing shop of the respective OPD, mechanical damage and thus additional specific defects were caused in addition to the possible casting defects limited to the OPD by the assembly, which can only be assigned to this OPD. The details are dealt with in the respective chapters. The description of the respective field characteristic can only be precisely determined by the position in the printing sheet, since the printing is often subject to vertical and horizontal shifts. In the case of a single stamp, this can only be checked on the basis of the image.

Translated with https://www.DeepL.com/Translator

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Excellent information.#

Certainly explains the large variation seen in overprints.

John

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Yes, thank you for translations, Rein - using usual translators didn't make much sense. Presumably that means that some of the flaws can be related to particular OPD's. Now there's a challenge for you, gentlemen!

Can anyone actually outline the process - e.g. what was the form of the "cliché" sent out and how was the image transferred to the metal plate? Profess complete ignorance of printing processes! (And yes, have tried the internet without much success!)

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Also makes you realise how difficult it must be to recognise fake overprints. Here are some currently on offer, as such, on eBay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/All-Bes-BIZO-56-II-60-I-u-a-kl-Lot-s ... :rk:1:pf:0

Of course, the proofing marks could also be fake! :lol:

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Interesting OldDuffer.

How do they see these as false?

I would love to see the criteria used and then I can better assess mine.

John

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

johnrcrow wrote:Interesting OldDuffer.

How do they see these as false?

I would love to see the criteria used and then I can better assess mine.

John
You better ask the proofer! I think that the books mentioned by Rein have sections on fakes but are in German and 30 Euros each!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Of course, one way to (hopefully!) avoid fake overprints is to collect complete covers.

Here is a, recently obtained, Registered Foreign Letter:

BIZONE Mi39II,48I

Date:03.08.48

The rate is made up of 50Pf foreign letter plus 60Pf Registered Fee. They seem to have had some problem finding the addressee but they must have eventually done so as has not been returned to sender.

The good aspect of Registered items (even internal ones) is that they usually have receiving back-stamps.

Here there is the rather faint New York one, dated 30 Aug. then the 2 Los Angeles ones. Not sure what the "39" on the front represents- it may be a local routing mark or perhaps annoyingly added later in pen to denote Mi number?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Yes, thank you for translations, Rein - using usual translators didn't make much sense. Presumably that means that some of the flaws can be related to particular OPD's. Now there's a challenge for you, gentlemen!

Can anyone actually outline the process - e.g. what was the form of the "cliché" sent out and how was the image transferred to the metal plate? Profess complete ignorance of printing processes! (And yes, have tried the internet without much success!)
Having checked this out again came across this from Wikipedia:

"In printing, a stereotype, also known as a cliché, stereoplateor simply a stereo, was a "solid plate of type metal, cast from a papier-mâché or plaster mould (called a flong) taken from the surface of a forme of type"and used for printing instead of the original.

In the days of set movable type, printing involved placing individual letters (called types) plus other elements (including leading and furniture) into a block called a chase. Cumulatively, this full setup for printing a single page was called a forme. Ink was then applied to the forme, pressed against paper and a printed page was made. This process of creating formes was labor-intensive, costly and prevented the printer from using her or his types, leading, furniture and chases for other work. Furthermore, printers who underestimated demand would be forced to reset the type for subsequent print runs.
By creating a stereotype, printers could easily reprint documents and free their equipment for other work. The stereotype thus changed the way books, especially novels, magazine articles and other popular forms of literature were reprinted, saving printers the expense of resetting while freeing the type for other jobs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype_(printing)

So obviously it was a method of making repeat metal printing plates of the same design. These are what were then sent to the different OPDs.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a, recently obtained, Berlin cover bearing both Black and Red overprint stamps. Date: 23.03.49. These covers tend to be quite scarce and are sometimes obviously "philatelic". This one is slightly overpaid at 26Pf (rate: 24Pf) which suggests that someone was trying to use up the 16Pf stamp, (used at that time for Local Letters), before it became invalid on 30.03.49. The 10Pf stamp was issued on 20.01.49.

BERLIN Mi7,24

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is what I assume is a second weight step Bizone Registered Regional letter:

BIZONE Mi 44I,51II

Rate is 48Pf plus 60Pf Registered Fee.

The reverse shows that it arrived at destination P.O. on the same day (31.08.48):

If they had waited one day until 1st Sept., when the rates decreased, it would only have cost 80Pf!

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Would this qualify as anything special? Missing part of the HAN. Does have a slight flaw on the 7 in the 47.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

chaulkdust wrote:Would this qualify as anything special? Missing part of the HAN. Does have a slight flaw on the 7 in the 47.
I don't think a "flaw" in the Job Number would be of interest to most - but who knows- how "specialized" can you get?

Unfortunately having just "47 1" doesn't give much information as most of the HAN numbers for both Mi956 and A956 end with this sequence (or "47 2"). Which one do you think it is?

You can see that I posted up a block of A956 earlier in this thread with the HAN number "4155 47 1". I chose this block since the number is unique to A956 (i.e. stamps couldn't be 956!). Some of the numbers have a high cat. price!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a Registered and Express cover, recently obtained:

BIZONE Mi66I,74,77,80,85,89

Total postage paid 120Pf- this is correct with Regional Letter being 20Pf, Registered Fee 40Pf, Express Fee 60Pf.

In fact it didn't really get there any quicker than many ordinary registered items did, as can be seen from the reverse:

Quite a nice item!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Another recently acquired item:

BIZONE Mi40I, TRIZONE Mi956,A956

Here we have the 24Pf postage made up with a 12Pf "posthorn oveprint" plus two 1/10th value 60Pf stamps. This validity was allowed in the British and American Zones only on the 21st and 22nd June, 1948 (plus first post 23rd).

Obviously philatelic but one of the few opportunities to have both versions of the 60Pf stamp on a cover with correct postage!

Coastwatcher
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Coastwatcher »

Very interesting and thorough thread. I have several of the AM Post issues (American and British printings) and I had never really given them much thought. This thread provided me with the history behind these issues and caused me to want to learn more about them. This is what I joined Stampboards for!
“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles.” ~ Doug Larsen

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thank you for your kind words,Coastwatcher .

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj Phil!

Here is a cover with AM POST stamps to the value of 75 pf. It is dated 17th April 1946, shortly after civilian mail to foreign destinations was re-introduced and 75 pf was the correct rate. It is sent from Herborn (Dillkr.) to Prague in Czechoslovakia and has been opened and resealed by (US?) civilian censors.
Am I correct and anything else to add?

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

O.K., honza, just a few!

Firstly a number of stamps had to be used as no 75Pf one had been issued, (the Trizone 75Pf "numeral"- Mi934 was issued 25th April!).

The Censor Mark is, indeed, an American one- Type A-1a (Offenbach).

Finally the identity of the stamps- which printing? See earlier in the thread for identification of American, English or German printings. At a glance probably American?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Earlier in the thread I showed a Registered and Express cover from the period after the reduction in postage rates on 1st Sept. 1948.

Here is one, just obtained, from before that period:

Bizone Mi47II,51II

This is made up of 2x40Pf plus 1x84Pf giving 164Pf. This is the correct rate which is made up of 24Pf for Regional Letter, 60Pf for Registered and 80Pf for Express.

Here is the reverse:

This was the highest amount for domestic mail-lowest weight step (without some extra, exotic, service). From looking at other covers "Express" do not seem in general to have been any quicker than the cheaper "Registered"!

honza

Post by honza »

OldDuffer1 wrote:O.K., honza, just a few!

Firstly a number of stamps had to be used as no 75Pf one had been issued, (the Trizone 75Pf "numeral"- Mi934 was issued 25th April!).

The Censor Mark is, indeed, an American one- Type A-1a (Offenbach).

Finally the identity of the stamps- which printing? See earlier in the thread for identification of American, English or German printings. At a glance probably American?
Ahoj Phil!

Belated thanks for the above. The stamps are indeed the American version.

Here is a slightly later censored cover with the numeral stamps to a total value of 76 pfennig. Was this a 1pf overpayment or had the rate gone up? It is dated 2nd July 1946.
Is the US Civil Censorship MUNICH machine cancellation in red quite common?

It was sent from Weilheim in Upper Bavaria to Pilsen in Czechoslovakia..

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Hi honza. The rate was still 75Pf so just slightly overpaid.

These "Released Unexamined" marks are not uncommon. There are quite a few different patterns/numbers of stars etc.This one (American Zone) is type A-26.

honza

Post by honza »

Thanks Phil for your prompt reply.

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is an Airmail cover from West Berlin which makes full use of the later series of overprinted stamps. Note that no Tax stamp required, coming from Berlin.

BERLIN Mi64,66

The rate is made up of 20Pf Regional Letter plus 5Pf Airmail.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

On 15th August 1948 the first non-overprinted series was produced- semi-postals celebrating the 700th Anniversary of Cologne Cathedral and presumably raising money for repairs needed after war damage. (See earlier in thread for full set). Due to the upcoming rate drops on 1st September, these were only needed at the face value rates for 17 days!

Here is a Registered Regional Letter with special issue day cancellation, (not, in itself, an uncommon one). The 60Pf Registered fee is made up with a "posthorn" overprint stamp.

BIZONE MiA49II,71

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

On April 22nd 1949 the "Hannover Export Fair" set was produced. Here is an example of the 30Pf used on a Foreign Letter:

BIZONE Mi105

Not a scarce cover but not common either. Certainly a bargain at 0.7 Euros! (The seller had marked as "1947"-strange when the stamp has "1949" marked on it!).

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a postcard to Holland where the 30Pf rate has been made up with three 10Pfs: (unfortunately all separate!)

BIZONE Mi39I

Here is the rather dull picture side:

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Phil!

Did you notice Else had excused herself for not writing earlier because she had no money for stamps. Written just 7 weeks after the currency reform & introduction of the D-Mark this illustrates the impact of savings being frozen and cash demontetised and starting anew with a bounty of only 40 D-Mark per household.

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thank you for that, honza. Most interesting. I'm afraid my German is not up to reading hand-writing. Not so dull after all!

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Phil!

I struggle with Old German handwriting (Florian is your man for that), but this card was in a modern style.

Cheers,

Honza

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”