The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Bizone)

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Florian
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Biz

Post by Florian »

den 5.8.48
August 5, 1948
Liebe Hanna! Gern hätte ich eher geschrieben, aber ich hatte kein Geld um Marken zu kaufen.
Dear Hanna, I would like to have written sooner but I had no money to buy stamps.
Dir und Otto recht herzliche Gluckwünsche nachträglich zu Deinem Geburstag und zur Geburt
A belated Happy Birthday to you and my best wishes to you and Otto on the birth
von Ottos Söhnchen. Über die Anzeige, die mir Otto schickte, habe ich mich sehr gefreut.
of Otto's son. I was so glad to hear about the happy event from Otto.
Möchte der Kleine recht zu Euer aller Freude gedeihen.
I would like your little one to keep thriving to your great joy.
Mir geht es gesundheitlich leidlich. Die Schwäche in meinen Beinen nimmt immer zu, schon
My health is tolerable. The weakness in my legs is always getting worse, actually
wochenlang bin ich nicht aus dem Haus gewesen. Auch die Darmschwäche peinigt mich sehr,
I haven't been out of the house for weeks. The intestinal weakness also torments me very much,
alle ärztliche Behandlung ist vergebens.
all medical treatment is in vain.
Dir, Erwin und Otto recht herzliche Grüsse. Deine Else.
My best wishes to you, Erwin, and Otto. Yours, Else.

Absender: Frau Else Lauckhardt, Hofgeismar,
Frauenheim, Deutschland, Hessen, American Zone

For Hofgeismar, Frauenheim, see https://picclick.de/AK-Hess-Siechenhaus-Hofgeismar-Frauenhei ... id=1&pid=1

OldDuffer1
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks very much, Florian. Knowing what the message says really adds to the interest of the item. Unfortunately it sounds as if Else was not having a very great time!

Florian

Post by Florian »

You're welcome.

Historia magistra ...

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

A slightly exotic item, just obtained- express to USA:

BIZONE Mi48II

The rate is made up of 50Pf Foreign Letter plus 100Pf Express fee. Quite what advantage this gave is not clear although possibly meant expedited handling at each end (but presumably not a faster boat!).

The reverse shows that, having been posted on 15.07.48, it arrived New York Aug. 7th.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Picked this card up recently as a curiosity:

Yes, that is a Swastika seal!

The reverse shows that, at least part, was from a child to their grandma.

The questions are- did this pass through the post like this? (This seems unlikely as apparently over slogan). If done by a child how did they get hold of this seal? If added later to what purpose?

(I suppose I should have signed a declaration that would not use to glorify the Regime- not that I would dream of doing so about such a disgusting bunch of thugs and psychopaths!)

I know this is a Trizone stamp but posted within the British Zone.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Speaking of exotic covers how about this one (not mine!):

BIZONE 85,97,100

Insured for 500,000DM at 15Pf per 500 gives 150DM. Letter at second weight step: 40Pf and handling charge 60Pf so overpaid by 40Pf!

Recently at auction for 3,500Euros!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is quite an interesting cover which I picked up for just a few Euros recently:

BIZONE Mi36II,43I

It is a Cash on Delivery cover ("Nachnahme"), although either the label has fallen off, leaving a mark, or they ran out of labels and drew the shape in!

The rate is made up of 40Pf C.O.D. charge plus 24Pf Regional Letter.

The question is- is this a "philatelic" cover? Certainly it is from a stamp dealer but used for the commercial purpose (presumably) of sending merchandise to a customer and requesting payment for same.

On the other hand we have a Mi43I with HAN number attached (6055.48). This is considered so scarce on cover that Michel Specialized does not even price it! However it was probably deliberately picked out by the dealer to send. Does a catalogue price only apply if the usage was "accidental"?

In any case the value of a cover, as with anything else, is what somebody is prepared to pay for it!

It is obviously a re-used envelope but cannot see any sign of earlier stamps underneath.

Here is the reverse:

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a cover which I didn't purchase, (went for more than I was prepared to pay), but illustrates quite nicely the rate for a 2nd Weight Step Registered Foreign Letter:

BIZONE Mi43II

2nd Weight step: 50+30Pf plus 60Pf Registered Fee. Also has a US Customs hand-stamp.

Reverse with US receiving cancels:

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is an item that I did pick up recently:

BIZONE Mi75,85,93+TAX STAMP Mi2.

This is a document issued by a Court and seems likely to have been Special Delivery and Single Address Verification which gives 20+60+5Pf. The seller described it as " Zustellungsurkunde". Not sure what the document is about so will scan (as is folded letter) and post shortly.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is the document:

maptrekker
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by maptrekker »

The franking is actually 45 pf for the Zustellungsurkunde plus the normal letter rate in both directions.

45+20+20 = 85 pf

This German Wikipedia article shows a rate chart with the notation:

Für die Hin- und Rücksendung ist das gewönliche Briefporto zu zahlen ...

Normal letter postage is to be paid for delivery and return ...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zustellungsurkunde

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks for that, maptrekker. Most interesting! Any idea what the document is about?

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj Phil!

Apparently there is a dispute between two firms, the Hansa Paint Factory and Herr Falk.

The Gueterverhandlung is an arbitration tribunal, where the parties can come to a mutual agreement before it escalates into a full-blown legal battle with all the costs that that will entail.

If it fails to resolve the matter, the parties will be free to then escalate the case to a full court hearing if they wish.

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks for that, honza. They must have supplied the wrong colour!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

An interesting item which just sold on eBay.de (I didn't get it -was "autosniped" for more than prepared to pay!).

BIZONE Mi8

Although it appears to be to an address in Germany the rate for a foreign postcard was used. Also has an American Zone censor mark. Even more interesting is that it was returned "Retour.... Lien de Destination Inconnu". The destination is given as Schwägerau, Krs. Intersterburg. The date is 08.04.46 (another aspect is that this was before the issue of the Trizone 45Pf stamp). By this time, however, this area had been turned over to the USSR and became the area of Kalingrad (which is still part of Russia- now cut off from the rest!). The new name is Saowraschnoje (Заовражное). Presumably there was no usable connection to the rest of Germany- the Russians were busy chucking out all the German inhabitants! Terrible times.

Here is the reverse:

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

Super interesting postcard.

Note that the stamps were placed on a de-Nazified postal card with the inscription and stamp defaced.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

maptrekker wrote:Super interesting postcard.

Note that the stamps were placed on a de-Nazified postal card with the inscription and stamp defaced.
Yes,maptrekker, here is one of the original cards:

Originally shown on the thread: "Allied Occupied Germany: “Nachgebühr” Markings (Postage Due)" at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51189&start=50

This appears to translate as:"The Leader knows only struggle, work and worry. We want to lose him the part that we can relieve him of."
However, Google Translate suggests a couple of alternatives to the second part:
"We want to get rid of him" (Good idea!), or "we want to help him lose weight"- removal of the head would have been a quick way!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I have sometimes wondered (sad, isn't it?) why the higher values of the first Bizone issue are so scarce used.
For instance the 1RM catalogues at 8€ MNH (and can be picked up for much less) but on cover for 750€!

BIZONE Mi35

According to Stich and Stich: Postwar Years of Germany 1945-1948 Postal History, these were snapped up by collectors at the time for inflated prices- they mention 40RM for the 1RM. An early example of a "philatelic bubble"!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

johnrcrow wrote:Here is a great flaw on NHM Mi.34, 80Pf.

Mi.34 I Flaw. Blob above ´0` in ´80`.

Flaw Mi. 34 I enlarged

CV for NHM €500!
Looking back at my set of the German printing (see start of thread) my copy of Mi34 seems to have that blob. I certainly didn't pay extra for it so perhaps not noticed!

BIZONE Mi34I?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

OldDuffer1 wrote:I have sometimes wondered (sad, isn't it?) why the higher values of the first Bizone issue are so scarce used.
For instance the 1RM catalogues at 8€ MNH (and can be picked up for much less) but on cover for 750€!

BIZONE Mi35

According to Stich and Stich: Postwar Years of Germany 1945-1948 Postal History, these were snapped up by collectors at the time for inflated prices- they mention 40RM for the 1RM. An early example of a "philatelic bubble"!
In fact looking back to two price lists I posted earlier in this thread in 1946 the prices quoted were 115RM for the 80Pf and 170RM for the 1M. By 1948 you could purchase the whole set of the German printing for 18DM!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a cover with the 60Pf AM stamp, the highest value you can obtain on cover at a reasonable (to me anyway!) cost. Used as part of payment for a Second Weight Step Regional Registered item:

BIZONE Mi5,30,33

The rate is made up of 60Pf Registered Fee and 48Pf 2nd Weight Step Regional Letter. Unfortunately the 8Pf is not the German printing, Mi21, which is also scarce on cover, probably for the reason mentioned above.

The red line across the address is explained by looking at the reverse:

I presume the red writing means something to the effect that "building destroyed" or "demolished"? (Not that surprising at that date!). Unusually there are no Return markings ("Zurück") but it seems likely that it was, for the cover to have survived!

Another quite nice aspect is that each stamp has been expertised, by Hettler.

The 8Pf Mi5 as "Paper z" (in fact the cheapest version!); the 40Pf Mi30 as "Bc" which I assume corresponds to Michel "cBz"- again the cheapest!; the 60Pf Mi33 as "Cb" ("bCz")- not quite the cheapest! Still, nice to see these and good practice for the perf. gauge!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is another registered AM cover- this time for a Local Letter:

BIZONE Mi5,29

The rate made up of 16Pf Local Letter plus 60Pf Registered Fee. Again the 8Pf stamps are the American printing. (To spot the differences to the German printing see earlier in thread).

Getting out the perf. gauge again Mi29 looks like 11/11 so probably cAz- again the cheapest!

The 16Pf (Mi25) is very scarce used as a single stamp for a Local Letter- presumably because by the time of the rate increase on 1st March 1946 the Trizone 16Pf (Mi923) was readily available.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Last one for a bit (holiday time!)- Registered, Cash on Delivery cover:

BIZONE Mi10,2,3,15,32

Rate made up of 24Pf Regional Letter, 60Pf Registered and 40Pf C.O.D. fees. It might look like a philatelic cover ( and is from a stamp dealer) but taking into account above scarcity of some of the values it is not surprising that the dealer didn't use a 1RM stamp, when he could sell it for many times the face value! (Similarly with some of the other values).

Here is the reverse:

It looks as if some sort of label has come off?

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

There are several threads discussing post-war Germany and Berlin Allied Zones and I couldn't find one general enough for this, so apologies if this is the wrong place.

Whilst looking in 'general' cover boxes at the York fair I came across scores of German covers like those shown. Many were to destinations outside Germany (I guess the 75 pf is the commonest here), but there was a variety of markings and rates (and combinations of stamps to make up those rates).
Although they were probably in the £1 boxes that most dealers seem to price as a minimum, quantities were always discounted. As with the Papua New Guinea I've shown on another thread, I could have bought loads, hoping that somebody here would be interested, but that's not something I do these days.*

I would suggest that anybody interested should get to fairs like York because there is always a lot of variety, and not just from the European dealers.

*Of course if somebody were to say, "buy everything you see at x per cover so that I can research it", then that would be different!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Certainly would be nice to riffle through such a box - you never know what might be there and hopefully some dealers are not experts in the field! (The ones you show are, of course, all Trizone issues).

For instance it would be nice, but unlikely, to find something like this: (recently added to my collection)

BIZONE Mi17,31

Not often seen- Foreign Postcard at the initial rate of 45Pf using Bizone stamps. (Foreign mail was not permitted until April 1st, 1946). No Bizone 45Pf stamp had been issued but the Trizone 45Pf (Mi931) was available from April 20th.
Censored in American Zone.

Here is the reverse in case any German speaking Member felt kind enough to translate!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

The card is from Bielefeld, which according to the "Bielefeld Conspiracy" doesn't exist!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_conspiracy :?

norvic

Post by norvic »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Certainly would be nice to riffle through such a box - you never know what might be there and hopefully some dealers are not experts in the field! (The ones you show are, of course, all Trizone issues).
I looked at the Tri-zone thread and couldn't decide which was better - you show a 12pf numeral further up on this page.

I don't know the difference, philatelically that is.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

norvic wrote:
OldDuffer1 wrote:Certainly would be nice to riffle through such a box - you never know what might be there and hopefully some dealers are not experts in the field! (The ones you show are, of course, all Trizone issues).
I looked at the Tri-zone thread and couldn't decide which was better - you show a 12pf numeral further up on this page.

I don't know the difference, philatelically that is.
No problem- I'm certainly not interested in being pedantic about these things! Items with mixed Bizone and Trizone stamps are quite common, anyway!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

norvic wrote: I don't know the difference, philatelically that is.
By the way, not quite sure what you mean by this statement which borders on the philosophical!

I suppose it depends on whether you look on stamps as pretty pieces of paper to collect which are, or once were, valid for postage, (a perfectly reasonable approach!) or whether you are more interested in their historical and sociological significance. Personally I tend to the latter.

In this case the issue of the original Bizone stamps was presumably purely administratively convenient considering the conditions prevailing after WWII. The issue of the Trizone series perhaps showed a growing co-operation between the 3 Powers concerned which, of course, all came to an end with the Currency Reforms of June 1948!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I have some idea of the history, I just don't know which are bizone and which are trizone.

All the threads here (and I'm sure there are more than 2!) seem to have a mix of stamps, especially on cover where there was a certain amount of carry-over from one to the other, and continued validity at least for a period. I suppose I should have looked at the catalogue! (If that actually helps - I suspect Gibbons tends to list the stamps, rather than going into detail about where and when they were valid and at what rates!)

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Watch this space for my coming thread on Postal History of the period!

honza

Post by honza »

For instance it would be nice, but unlikely, to find something like this: (recently added to my collection)

BIZONE Mi17,31

Not often seen- Foreign Postcard at the initial rate of 45Pf using Bizone stamps. (Foreign mail was not permitted until April 1st, 1946). No Bizone 45Pf stamp had been issued but the Trizone 45Pf (Mi931) was available from April 20th.
Censored in American Zone.

Here is the reverse in case any German speaking Member felt kind enough to translate!

An attempted translation:-

Dear Herr Reinecke, Thank you for your two postcards and I presume meanwhile you will also have received my communication of the 2nd of this month and learned of the situation of me and my family. I have informed Herr Nippel accordingly. Meanwhile my daughter in Tutzing has informed me that her last hope is to be transferred into the Sanatorium of Professor Dr Zebel in Berchtesgaden and we all hope she will find a cure there. The disease is called Amiotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and, so I have heard, there is also a sanatorium in Switzerland, specializing in this disease with good results. Unfortunately there is at the moment no possibility of moving there, getting a travel permit for instance. Also transport under the present circumstances is impossible. I eagerly await the two promised parcels, many thanks in anticipation. With friendly greetings and good wishes to you, your wife and son. Yours sincerely, Richard Ziegler

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Many thanks, honza! Hope his daughter recovered. Wonder who Herr Nippel was?

AdrianChantler
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by AdrianChantler »

Here is one of my covers :)
Be like a postage stamp, stick to one thing until you get there.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

A fairly standard mixed postage Registered cover- but a rather poor attempt at covering up the lower Swastika! These are, of course "Trizone" stamps.

AdrianChantler

Post by AdrianChantler »

bizone prepaid stamp card, Postmark with a cute rabbit :)
Be like a postage stamp, stick to one thing until you get there.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Yes there were many "fancy" cancels of this type produced. Often on un-sent cards which presumably were produced a "souvenirs"? No great value, I'm afraid!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I previously mentioned that some of the values of the German Printing of the AM issue were subject to speculative collection at the time, leading to high values for examples on cover.
As well as the higher values of the series for some reason the 8Pf also seems to have been part of this. Examples of the 8Pf used as a single stamp for Local Letter, (although also the rate for Local Business Letter), are scarce.

Here is an example recently obtained:

BIZONE Mi21

For some reason the seller displayed with the addressee name covered so have respected this!

The image of the stamp shows the "tell tale" corner details of the German printing. (See earlier in the thread for more on this).

Also has the "Der neue Weg" cancellation from Hannover ("The new way") which presumably relates to post war reconstruction.

honza

Post by honza »

OldDuffer1 wrote:I previously mentioned that some of the values of the German Printing of the AM issue were subject to speculative collection at the time, leading to high values for examples on cover.
As well as the higher values of the series for some reason the 8Pf also seems to have been part of this. Examples of the 8Pf used as a single stamp for Local Letter, (although also the rate for Local Business Letter), are scarce.

Here is an example recently obtained:

BIZONE Mi21

For some reason the seller displayed with the addressee name covered so have respected this!

The image of the stamp shows the "tell tale" corner details of the German printing. (See earlier in the thread for more on this).

Also has the "Der neue Weg" cancellation from Hannover ("The new way") which presumably relates to post war reconstruction.
Ahoj OldDuffer1,

This postmark was for the "Der neue Weg" Trade Exhibition held from 17th - 28th October 1945. It is found in black and blackish violet and has been forged.
Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks, honza. Hopefully this one is genuine!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Recently picked up this cover, from Berlin-Tempelhof (West Berlin) to Kremmen, Brandenburg in the Soviet Zone.

TRIZONE Mi945,947,950,960

The date is 25.06.48 and this is a 1/10th value ("10-fach") cover, which was allowed for a period after the Currency Reform of June 21st. What other stamps could the sender have used? The "posthorn" overprints issued by the Western Authorities on June 21st were liable to "postkrieg" (postal war) when used on mail from West Berlin to the Soviet Zone.

Here is an example from my collection:

BIZONE Mi40I

The legend is "Abs(ender) Zurück Unzulässig" (Return to sender (stamp) inadmissible). Presumably West Berliners were advised of this at the Post Offices. (These covers are quite scarce and expensive!).

They could technically have used the hand overprinted Soviet Zone stamps ("Bezirkshandstempel") which were issued in East Berlin (and the rest of the SBZ) from 24th June, and which were also valid in West Berlin, but being only the next day this would seem unlikely.

Here is the inside of the first envelope showing that it had been made up from some kind of document and pointing up the shortage of materials at that time.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a Berlin Airmail cover obtained recently:

BERLIN Mi55

The 80Pf is made up 30Pf Letter rate plus 50Pf Airmail Fee. The interesting aspect is that although posted in Berlin W15 (West Berlin) the sender's address is in the DDR:

At that time the cost from the DDR would have been at least 150Pf (depending on weight). I suppose if visiting Berlin it was easy enough to pop over to the Western sectors to post a letter? Alternatively perhaps in early 1952 air routes to S. America from the DDR hadn't started?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a recent acquisition- Berlin black overprint Foreign Postcard:

BERLIN Mi11

Quite a scarce item.

The picture side is quite topical (although a few days late!):

honza

Post by honza »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Here is a recent acquisition- Berlin black overprint Foreign Postcard:

BERLIN Mi11

Quite a scarce item.

The picture side is quite topical (although a few days late!):

Ahoj OldDuffer!

Why is the picture side a few days late? It is Christmas Greetings and is postmarked 18.12.48.

Did you read the card? The Aunt excuses herself for not writing because she is so cold she can hardly hold a pen.

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Hi honza! I meant that my posting of it was a few days late in terms of topicality!

Happy New Year to you and all readers!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

honza wrote:
Did you read the card? The Aunt excuses herself for not writing because she is so cold she can hardly hold a pen.

Cheers,

Honza
I guess this reminds us that conditions for many were still poor in Berlin even three years after the end of the war! (Also in many other affected countries).

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a cover, recently acquired, legitimately using both the "Help Berlin" Bizone issue stamps to fulfil the 30Pf rate for a Foreign Letter:

BIZONE Mi101,102 + Berlin Tax Stamp Mi1

Of course the Tax Stamp was not required for a foreign letter, but don't suppose anyone minded! I was slightly hoping it might be a "Postmaster Separation" but I think it has just been torn off using a straight edge. :(

These "Help Berlin" stamps were sometimes subject to "Postkrieg" (Postal War) if sent to the Soviet Zone. Those types of covers appear to be very scarce, however.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Domestic Airmail over certain routes was available to the public from 15th July 1948.
The extra fee was 5Pf- this remained the same until 1992! (When presumably airmail was used routinely without any extra fee).

Here is a recently obtained cover dated 31.07.48. As can be seen, the route specified was Frankfurt to Berlin, (the sender's address is Esslingen, Baden-Württemberg).

BIZONE Mi36I,45I

However, since the Berlin Airlift was currently in place the cover would have been flown in any case! It is unclear whether the 5Pf fee was required, therefore, for this route but it has obviously been added to the Regional Letter rate of 24Pf giving 29Pf postage. (If anyone has hard information on that point I would be grateful). Note that no 5Pf stamp was available to make up with a standard 24Pf.

The reverse shows an arrival date of 04.08.48 suggesting some delay in getting it onto the Airlift system.

OldDuffer1

Re: The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Bizone)

Post by OldDuffer1 »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
20 Feb 2017 04:49

The sheets bear the legend “Allied Military Postage Stamps- Germany xPfennig” on the margins. Here is an example from the American Printing:

The plate number is also stated (missing from my example)

These margin fragments show that the same legend was applied for the English printing:

And the German printing:

Looking over this post I can see the obvious error: The 40Pf is, of course, part of the German printing issue (the English printing did not include these higher values!). As far as I can tell the English printing did not have these margin inscriptions.

Here is an example (not from my collection):
BRIT PRINT STRIP.jpg
Any comments?

Chkpoint Charlie
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Chkpoint Charlie »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
02 Jan 2020 23:47
honza wrote:

Cheers,

Honza
I guess this reminds us that conditions for many were still poor in Berlin even three years after the end of the war! (Also in many other affected countries).
She was living in a sector of Berlin during the middle of the Blockade, all the coal for heating had to be airlifted into Berlin, somewhere I saw a picture of school children in class all wearing their winter coats. :cry:

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”