The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Bizone)

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

OldDuffer1
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: The Americans & British in Germany Stamps 1945-1949 (Biz

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks for your post, HanauMan, and welcome to Stampboards. As you say these have been mentioned earlier in the thread and there is the link to a site discussing them. I had certainly never seen or heard of these until a Member posted an image on this thread.I have managed to acquire a few as shown earlier but it is always interesting to see more examples. Some of the higher value overprints appear to fetch very high prices!

HanauMan
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by HanauMan »

Thank you for the welcome.

I look forwards to sharing some of my Bizone postal history here as well.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Earlier in the thread I showed these two standard rate covers:
OldDuffer1 wrote: Here is a standard “Regional Letter” rate cover, (although actually overpaid as is a local letter), bearing the 24Pf Mi44I, dated 17.07.48:

Here is one bearing the slightly less commonly seen on cover, Mi44II, dated 30.06.48:

Almost equally common is the 50Pf stamp on covers sent abroad.

Here is an example sent to USA bearing 48II, dated 20.08.48:

Bizone 48II

Here is a detail showing the stamp:

Is that a "distorted post horn" in the centre, as illustrated by Johncrow earlier in this thread?

Here is an example with 48I, this time to Sweden, date unclear:

Bizone 48I

Since this is from Berlin it would, presumably, have been flown out due to the blockade.

In the case of the 50Pf stamp, unlike for the the 24Pf, the "ribbon" version (48I) is much scarcer on cover than the "net" version (48II).

Why these differences should have occurred is difficult to say since, apparently, as mentioned earlier, the overprints were carried out locally, rather than centrally.

maptrekker
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by maptrekker »

Is that a "distorted post horn" in the centre, as illustrated by Johncrow earlier in this thread?
Yes. Looks like one of the varieties of Type II.2 as described by Michel.
Why these differences should have occurred is difficult to say since, apparently, as mentioned earlier, the overprints were carried out locally, rather than centrally.
I think that the relative scarcity of any stamp would be based on which printers had which stamps and which plates. It just may have turned out that more 50pf were printed with net overprint than band overprint.

johnrcrow
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by johnrcrow »

Here are a few ribbon and net overprint scans I obtained recently-

Inverted, double and inverted and normal doubles. CV aded to reject scarcity.

37II K (inverted)

41DK (double, one inverted, one normal).

40 I DD (double)

39 II DD

49 II DK

51 II DD

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Mistake in first stamp, 6Pf should be 37 I K (ribbon),

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks for post, johnrcrow. I suppose it's not surprising so many variations appeared!

By the way, any theories on why two different designs of overprint were chosen?

chaulkdust
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by chaulkdust »

Just started to go through this AM-Post series, so I once again have many questions. In Michel are the dimensions given for the paper thickness for gummed stamps? Seems like the best way to determine paper type is by the thickness (at least for me). I did find a few Plate Faults as I went through my small lot.
Noticed that in the post Maptrekker submitted(Page 1, 12th post) comparing the American vs German 12 that the German example has a plate fault (23f 13). Dot in the right side 2nd N in pfennig. Don’t know if you spotted that-not listed in Michel but is in the AM-Post catalog **60 o 225?
Now trying to sort out the perf variations & paper issues before I construct some mounting pages.
Once again a great thread, thanks to everyone that contributed! I will once again benefit greatly from the content.

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

From limited experience, the measurements of paper thickness are for stamps with gum. My measurements of mint stamps from the Washington printings with type "x" (0.11 mm) paper were 0.112-0.113.

Thank you for pointing out plate flaw 23f13. Any plate flaws other than the Michel-listed are unknown to me.

Can you give us more details on what the "AM-Post Catalog" is? Good luck on your sorting.

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

There are 2 catalogs available. AM-Post Amerikanischer and Englischer Druck, which covers the American and British issues. Both catalogs contain very nice colored pictures of each fault with pricing.
In this catalog for the American the number of faults listed are 3Pf-34, 4Pf-7, 5Pf-23, 6Pf-4,
8Pf-7, 10Pf-21, 12Pf-29, 15Pf-35, 25Pf-30. The English Faults are 3Pf-24, 4Pf-12, 5Pf-16, 6Pf-16
8Pf-17, 12Pf-19.

Then we have a second catalog AM-Post Deutscher Druck for German Issues.Number of listed faults are 1Pf-32, 3Pf-125!!, 4Pf-14, 5Pf-12, 6Pf-67, 8Pf-15, 10Pf-20, 12Pf-60, 15Pf-21,
16Pf-16, 20Pf-39, 24Pf-18, 25Pf-11, 30Pf-47, 40Pf-43, 42Pf-14, 50Pf-26, 60Pf-15 80Pf-4
1M-4

A Ton of listed faults, well done. If you have a lot of these issues it would be well worth the cost of catalogs. ISBN 3-932769-09-8 & 3-932769-08-2. I forget where I bought these at, but I am now done with them, evaluated all my Am-Posts and hopefully will obtain no more! So if anyone is interested I will sell both catalogs for $40 + shipping Like new condition. I believe I paid 56 Euros for both. PM me if anyone is interested.

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Looks like these are no longer for sale. Sorry.

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Yeah I picked up a set a few years ago. One volume was European sale only and a dealer friend of mine in England bought it for me. The other I think I got off ebay. They were no longer printed ~ 20 years ago so are hard to find. Esp. the orange one (the American/English one with the orange stamp on the cover)! There were Thomas Schantl publications.

maptrekker you should know better and should have asked me! German plate flaw catalogues always end up on my shelf!

They also made a Berlin + Brandenburg bear catalogue which I'd like to locate some time.
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools
Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

I found a few of the Overprints - thought I'd post them in case I missed something on them. So please take a look. I am puzzled by the 60 Pf Mi 49, Michel lists a 49 and A49
, the stamp I have is signed as "a" so I am assuming its 49 I a DD and not A 49 I DD. If I am correct, then there is no price for a used copy - just for the ** copy. Any guess at what the value could possible be?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I am no expert on varieties of this issue but as mentioned above the 49I is scarcer than A49I for reasons given previously. The original 956 which was overprinted to give 49I appears to have 2 colour varieties: "a" and "b" - the latter being scarcer. This would lead to the 2 varieties 49Ia and 49Ib. Certainly if genuinely used it looks as if it would fetch a very good price- however, looking at the cancellations of the set they have either been very carefully selected for similar positions or.....?

As far as being 49I or A49I you would need to compare colours carefully with known examples, although it does look quite pink to me!

Needless to say it would need to be re-expertised as a "used" example to fetch its full value!

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Thank you OldDuffer. Yes, I see what you mean by a few of the postmarks. I compared the color against a few others I have and it seems ok? I know it’s hard to judge colors on the computer but see the image below. Since Germany is not my main collecting area perhaps you can explain the expert marks. Since there are 2 I assume the 1st one at the bottom right is the original evaluation and the second one above to the left with the “a” is a second submission and re-evaluation? Also, why aren’t the marks placed by the perf’s along the side? Just curious.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Hi chaulkdust. I'm afraid I am far from being an expert on proofing marks. I have no idea what the mauve mark indicates- it is quite indistinct in any case. Certainly Schlegel is a good recognized expert. The "a" certainly indicates 49I rather than A49I as only the former has the 2 shades mentioned.

As far as the cancellations are concerned since several have the same date and position this would possibly suggest they come from a "philatelic" cover? Alternatively they might be fake? Only a modern expertising would confirm. Nice collection in any case!

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Hi Ron (Chaulk).

Suspicious postmarks, all Passau I think and some different dates. As mentioned they seem little cosmetic.

The signature is also difficult as there seem to be many variations of SCHLEGEL (see below). I did get information on forged signature from https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/namess.html.

Here is forged one given against your twice signed 41a.

The 41a commands a CV of €300 so worth a forge. With A DD could be three times the value as with other used varieties with DD or DDD etc.

The ´a` seems a little lost between the signatures also and I would have expected there to be an ´a` for each signature. The a is also large!

I trawled through e bay Germany looking at SHLEGEL proofed stamps, all with high CVs.

Again a great deal of variation.

Scan of Forged SCHLEGEL signature against given Mi. 41a from Chaulkdust

There are three SCHLEGEL´s noted in filatelia web.

1. Schlegel BPP (forged), 2 (forged)
Germany (Mi 338–970,
Official Mi 99–177, Berlin, Bizone excl. Bauten, French Zone, BRD) Hans-Georg Schlegel, Berlin, 1922–2014, dealer, BPP 1976, AIEP 1974

2. Schlegel, Andreas (forged) Germany (Allied occ. Mi 911–970, Bizone and BRD), German occ. Libau Berlin, BPP 1991

3 Schlegel, Hans-Dieter Germany (Mi 338–910, Official Mi 99–177) Berlin, b. 1953, BPP 1990

SCHLEGEL BPP is presumably number 1.

I will next try and get a few scans in of the SCHLEGEL´s available on e bay Germany.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

There seems to be a deal of variation on signature in eBay items. These are best matches.

Scan of a few e Bay signed items with high CV. Top is forged example.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Chaukdust examples against the 491a eBay

So nothing conclusive BUT it is notable that the best prices go to those with certificates-

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Great information John - Thank You! I did a little research on the small mark down in the lower right corner SB. I did find a bit of information on the BPP site regarding. this mark.
"SB (in purple in SE corner) Germany (1948 currency reform ovpt) Seen on genuine stamps".

So it looks like this was marked 3 times with SB being the 1st mark. I wonder if the color variant was added over the years and it was sent back for another 3rd evaluation?

I may just send it away for Cert. then I will know for sure. I just sent my sheet Mi 118c (maybe) away to Tworek BPP. Wish I had found this sooner so I could have included it.

Another puzzler!

Chaulk

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Now that I have these sorted, here are a few that I don't know about. Are any of them Type 2 or 3 overprints? Most others I found are probably printing flaws, but these stood out.

When looking at the forged mark it seems the letter C is more oblong which the good mark is more square?

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

I think it worthwhile to get the 491a checked officially. I await the block results, a real winner if it is as expected.

The ribbons are typical. There are many aberrations and you have a few there. The parallel links should indicate type 3´s.

The rest put down to printing ´problems`.

I like the bunny ears one (2nd stamp).

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

One last question - would the 39 I a DD in the picture above qualify as a triple overprint? Science I have never seen a triple, just thought I would ask. Seems like I see 3 parts there, obviously 3 won't totally fit on a stamp. Any opinions?

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Looks like the ribbon on 39IaDD is misaligned to be low on one stamp (single row of ribbons) and hence higher and missing top ribbon at the top.

So a DD in as much as there are only two full ribbon pairs on stamp.

John

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Maybe a triple has to have 3 sets of posthorns to qualify.

I am looking if there any for sale on net.

John

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Here are 4 for sale currently on eBay as DDD.

Looks like 3 sets of post horns are needed to be DDD.

Scans of Bizone ribbon (The I) overprint postage stamps for sale on eBay as DDD

chaulkdust

Post by chaulkdust »

Looking at the Mi49 1b vs Mi A49 and I am color puzzled. Unfortunately my Michel Color Guide has exactly the same color listed for braunrot (1b) and karminbraun (A49). I scanned the page and examined the RGB values and they are identical, thus useless. I scanned all my Mi 49's and sort of came up with 3 categories of RGB values.

Cat 1 RGB's between 169 109 102 up to 173 118 109 (7 stamps) A49?
Cat 2 RGB's between 178 123 115 up to 178 125 119 (2 stamps) 49 1b?
Cat 3 RGB's between 186 119 116 up to 189 115 110 (2 stamps - one signed 1a) 49 1a?

while the RGB values are subjective, the RGB distance in 3d space between values is useful.
RGB Distance from 169 109 102 to 178 123 115 is 37
RGB DIstance from 178 123 115 to 186 119 116 is 15
The Distance between all items in Cat 1 vary from 0 to 20
The Distance between all items in Cat 2 vary from 0 to 7
The Distance between all items in Cat 3 vary from 0 to 13

Generally, any distance less than 8-10 is indistinguishable by the human eye.

Can anyone explain the color difference (or hazard a guess) between braunrot and karminbraun? if I was guessing I would think the Karminbraun would be a bit more reddish/pinkish?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

You are really getting into the technicalities, chaulkdust! All I can go on is for the original Mi956 the description, (in the English version of Michel), is for 956a: "(dark) carmine-red to red-carmine" and 956b: "brown-red". For A956: "carmine-brown (shades)". However, for 49Ia it says "(pale) brown-carmine to brownish carmine"; the other descriptions being the same. Since the stamps presumably hadn't changed colour in a little over a year then this must be due to variable translation?

Certainly a fresh, unused 956 generally looks pink next to an A956. I cannot comment on a 956b as haven't seen one!

This obviously all points to the need for expertising for any potentially valuable example!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

An interesting piece of postal history from the period- when the postal service was resumed under Allied Military control as well as letters only postal cards i.e. those blank one side for the message, rather than picture postcards were initially permitted. It is difficult to determine when this was relaxed but I would guess not until 1946.

Here is an example of a card mailed within West Berlin which has been returned to sender and a hand written legend added that "illustrated cards are not permitted":

The picture is a snowy scene with New Year's greeting.

Quite why they had this restriction is difficult to say - certainly there was a requirement to write the sender name and address which a postal card had space for and perhaps they were worried that pictures might carry "hidden meaning"!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is a cover with the 20Pf "Help Berlin" stamp issued Dec. 14th 1948:

BIZONE Mi102

Since it is dated 020149 the Berlin Blockade and Airlift would have still been going on.

This should have had a Berlin Tax stamp attached, (required from 1st Dec. 1948), but the sender seems to have got away with it -covers without were supposed to be returned to sender- perhaps because the stamp carried a surcharge anyway?

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

Covers with this stamp also had the Berlin Tax stamp attached when required. Interesting that it is missing.

Mail with this issue was rejected and returned by the Russians.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that, following the issue of the "posthorn overprints", the concession of allowing the use of the previous Trizone issues at 1/10th value ("10-fach") was allowed for a short time- 21-22 June and first post 23rd June, 1948.

Here is a typical example, dated 22.08.48:

TRIZONE Mi947x10

Since the Regional Letter rate was still 24Pf this was obviously not enough postage. Here is the reverse:

TRIZONE Mi947x10

Total face value 240Pf. It can just be seen that the envelope was fashioned out of an old map and, of course, that the cover had been re-used. As well as pointing up the shortage of materials in that period it is also, perhaps, a lesson to ourselves in the re-use of them!

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Recently noticed this item- pre-paid postcard with return portion ("Postkarte mit Antwort") from 1948:

and the "return" part:

The strange thing is that 20Pf was the rate for a "Foreign destination" postcard, yet this is not designated an "International Reply Card".

My question is- what would this have been used for? I have not seen a used example!

For other examples of postal stationery of this issue see:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=68950

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj OldDuffer1!

The international reply card you show belongs to the first issue of 1948.

There were three ordinary cards:- 8pf orange for local use, 10pf green for national use and 20pf red for international use.

The 10pf & 20pf cards also had a reply card option, which is what you have. The Michel number for yours is P5F for the outward portion & P5A for the reply.

The next version came out in 1951 and differs from the original in that the vertical line above and below the postcode circle is now placed centrally.

In your original version the line is placed to the left of centre.

Cheers,

Honza

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks, honza, for info. Have you seen a used example?

honza

Post by honza »

I haven't, but I haven't been looking for one

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Speaking of postal stationery ("Ganzsache"), West Berlin produced overprinted postal cards with the Black Overprint-1948- (10 and 12Pf) and the Red-1949- (10Pf) on the Trizone cards.

Here are examples of the Black (unused):

It is obviously difficult to tell if the overprint is genuine but since they only catalogue at around 12 Euros, apparently, then would not seem to be any point faking. Used examples appear to fetch quite a high premium suggesting limited use.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Here is an example of the Red Overprint card (unused):

Again, used examples fetch a high premium.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Going back to the 1945 Bizone issue, when foreign destination mail was first permitted on 1st April 1946 the rate was set at 75Pf. No 75Pf stamp had been produced in this series so that other combinations were used.

Here is the, perhaps most common, combination of 3x25Pf on cover (Date: 09.04.46):

BIZONE Mi9x3

It might also have been possible to use the slightly later German printing stamps e.g. a 60Pf plus 15Pf (Mi33 and 24) but the former on cover is, for some reason, scarce (cat. 40Euros for cheapest type). The corresponding 80Pf- allowing a slight overpayment- (Mi34) appears to be even scarcer (cat. 650Euros on cover!).

This is possibly because many of the first Trizone series stamps had already been produced in February '46 (although one source suggests they were supposed to use up the previous ones first!). The 75Pf (Mi934) stamp was not, however, produced until April 25th, presumably to meet the above need.

See the thread: "Detailed look at my Joint Issues US, Sov & Br. Zones 1946-48"

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=74079
for more on this issue.

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

I guess I am mistaken, but wasn't the early mail to foreign destinations supposed to be censored?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Unlike in Austria, maptrekker, censorship in Germany was a much more "hit and miss" affair. As far as I can make out the official policy, (again unlike in Occupied Austria), was to censor a sample of the mail. This was partly, presumably, for economic reasons and, a little like random searches in airports these days, as a deterrent to would be "malpracticers"!

As I mentioned above, by 1st April 1946, when foreign mail was permitted, the Trizone issues were being made available so that foreign destination censored covers bearing these are much more common.

Here is a typical example:

TRIZONE Mi934

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Looking at this in a little more detail it is suggested,
(Wagner, 1977 at https://esirc.emporia.edu/bitstream/handle/123456789/2447/Wagner%201977.pdf?sequence=1),

that 43% of international mails were being censored in 1946, while only 1% of internal mails were being censored by this time. Even this figure is pretty impressive when, apparently, 4.15 million international items were being sent or received each month!

Quoting again from the above source, in spite of all this effort:

"no plots to overthrow the AMG (Allied Military Government) were uncovered. No budding Fascist parties were discovered, and no escaped war criminals were found. There were cases of stolen goods reclaimed and returned, but these were rare. There were no threats to what the AMG called the "common good""

Still you can never be too careful! (Wonder what it all cost?)

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Of course censored covers to foreign destinations with A.M. stamps do exist, although as suggested above probably somewhat less commonly than those with the Trizone issues.

Here is an example recently obtained which quite nicely bears the date of 02.04.46- i.e. only 1 day after such mail was permitted.

Censored in the British Zone:

BIZONE Mi8,29

The Trizone 75Pf stamp (Mi934) was not available at this date, as mentioned above.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

I have obtained some 1946 issues of the Joint Issues with numeral in oval with the black overprinted post horns types I and II.

Since some command high CV in Michel and are therefore presumed scarce (particularly cancelled) I thought it would be interesting to show them for comment.

Here are the Michel table for Mi.51 to 68. Please forgive the scribbles, taken from my overworked English version of specialised Michel.

Note high CV for many of issues.

Here is an overview of the type I (single band of posterns) I have .

Overview of 1946 Mi. 52I to 63I Allied Occupation postage stamps with little post horns between ribbon bands.

Enlargements. Numbers refer to given Mi. CV in Euros for NHM, HM and used respectively.

Mi.52Ia.

Mi.53Ia.

Mi.54Ia and 54Ib.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Mi.55I.

Mi.56I. Scarce if genuine.

Mi.57Ia.

Mi.58Ia.

Mi.59I. Shades not identified, note that four shades are listed.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Mi60I.

Mi.61I.

Mi.62I.

Mi.63I.

Mi.64I.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Mi.66I. Two shades?

Mi.67I.

Mi.68I. Two shades?

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Here are the issues with Type II overprints.

Selected examples enlarged. Prices as in Michel for HM, NHM and used respectively. Forgive rather scrappy Michel table additions.

Mi. 52IIa(?).

Mi.53IIa.

Mi.56IIa. Scarce stamp.

Mi.59II. Scarce stamp.

Mi.60.II. Scarce stamp.

So I have obtained the complete sets of the two types of overprints.

The question is are they genuine?

In question are the cancels and the overprints themselves.

Type I set NHM €500, HM €240, used €2000

Type II set NHM€800, HM €380, used €3000

None of higher value CVs are proofed but they were reputed to be from a conciencious collector!

Comments welcome.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Very nice collection, johncrow! Couldn't comment on genuineness of overprints although Michel does say "More expensive items with the ribbon and net overprints should only be acquired with (BPP) expertising certificates!" (Which makes them even more expensive!). Sometimes you've got to trust your gut- particularly if the source is good.

Other stamps from this series were also overprinted, of course. Apparently this was without official permission although they were "not contested" for postal use. I showed one earlier in this thread:

MiVI/II
Proofed Schlegel BPP

Do you have any of these to show?

(Was editing this when you replied!)
Last edited by OldDuffer1 on 06 Oct 2018 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

It filled in all of the many gaps I had in these issues OldDuffer1.

Hard to rate these, many of cancels are hardly distinct. Maybe this is a good sign?

I think the overprints look OK, nice variation and typical variations seen.

John

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”