Major Tibet collections to be sold by Feldmans Switzerland

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Major Tibet collections to be sold by Feldmans Switzerland

Post by warm »

David Feldman, auctioneers in Geneva, are celebrating its 50th anniversary holding various auctions in early December.

https://www.davidfeldman.com/auctions/upcoming-auctions/

One of the highlights are two Tibet collections.

They were formed over many years by Bo Olsson and Bengt-Erik Larsson.

Bo Olsson is one of the very few experts that can write certificates for the difficult early issues.

The catalogue will be a invaluable reference for current and future Tibet collectors.

Contact Feldmans to buy a hard copy or download the digital version when available.

Of the two collections one is specialized in the various shades/printings and the other in 1933 issue sheets.

A number of the rare Waterlow essays and also native Tibetan proofs will be on offer. Not to mention other interesting items, like Bailey 1924 covers. Colonel Bailey was the only Westerner to actually see the early stamps being printed.

A highlight in the Tibet auction is a XIIIth Dalai Lama scarf cover, c.1925.
The XIIIth Dalai Lama sent such covers to high ranking dignitaries at New Year. Enclosed was a large white silk scarf with woven lucky signs and also a small envelope with gold dust.
This cover is stamped with a pair of ⅓ tr blue stamps. An unusual combination.
Today such scarf cover are seldom seen.

Examples of some Bailey covers:
One of some letters Bailey sent from Lhasa in 1924 to his wife during his visit
there.
An absolutely unique cover with a block of six of the special 1924 Mt. Everest Expedition seal. All such covers mailed from Tibet are indeed scarce.
Some exceptional essays and proofs are in the sale:
A very rare native proof from 1912 in Kalimpong. The text confirms that Tibetans did not used the word "stamp", instead they say "ticket".
One of the rare Waterlow essays for a proposed Tibet stamp issue.

Bo had started to collect Tibet already in 1956, over 60 years ago. He was a schoolboy then and had been fascinated by his teachers telling about the mysterious Tibet.
A Gibbons Simplified catalogue was a Christmas gift in 1956. Soon he contacted Stanley Gibbons to send him a selection of approvals. Their stock of Tibet was very limited and he was sent just a few stamps. Needless to say, he bought them all and that was his start of a lifelong relation with Tibet stamps.

His major interest was to study the different printing or colour shades as we also can say about them. His checklist completed Waterfall’s Handbook list. Only a few impossible printings are missing in his collection, such as the super-rare Pastel-Pink (Bluish Pink) printings of 1 tr 1912 and 8 tr 1914.

Bo is more interested in research than mounting on pages, so his only participation in an exhibition was one that the Swedish Post arranged at their PostExpo localities in 1988. A special postmark depicting The Potala was available for all posting. Bo was especially happy for all school classes and their teachers who visited the exhibition.
Bengt-Erik, contrary to Bo was more interested in testing his collection in stamp exhibitions. His speciality was to display the 1933 values in sheets. His writings are very good and he also received Vermeil medals at National exhibitions.

Some very rare items from his collection will now come up for auction. Such as a rare cover stamped with a bistro stamp and an early registered cover with a 4 tr green perforated among others.

A remarkable sale.
stampmogul
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Major Tibet collections to be sold by Feldmans, Dec 2017

Post by stampmogul »

Such material isn't seen very often, & unless you are really dedicated to collecting items of the region it is too late to start.

So few philatelists would have the knowledge to differentiate genuine items from the crass forgeries.
An interesting subject, but to be viewed from afar.
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

Interesting offer, I am curious about the real offer and content.

But the collection of Bengt-Erik Larson by no means i would like to call "major", that collection is lacking all rarities. Bo's collection however is a highlight.
Collecting Interests: Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa 1923-1948 and its forerunners, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carriers.
aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

A display of full sheets wouldn't pass a philatelic judge's test very well...they have eye-candy appeal, but there isn't much research put into such a collection, unless one annotates each sheet with arrows to indicate various printing flaws and flyspecks.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Post by 22028 »

aethelwulf wrote:A display of full sheets wouldn't pass a philatelic judge's test very well...they have eye-candy appeal, but there isn't much research put into such a collection, unless one annotates each sheet with arrows to indicate various printing flaws and flyspecks.
I fully agree. I had shown my Tibet 1912-60 at NY2016 and received a Large Vermeil. More was not possible with 5 frames and that area.

I agree, the display had eye-candy appeal and I could add my own research into it.

Yes, i believe I have reached the best results i could get with that collection and adding new items would not get me more points, therefore I sold the collection after the show intact.

I now concentrate on my other areas where i still can do plenty of research and discover new things...
Collecting Interests: Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa 1923-1948 and its forerunners, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carriers.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

warm wrote:
The XIIIth Dalai Lama sent such covers to high ranking dignitaries at New Year. Enclosed was a large white silk scarf with woven lucky signs and also a small envelope with gold dust.
Very cool. I can bet the Chinese Government will not be bidding. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
warm

Post by warm »

I have asked Bo Olsson to share, with Stampboard readers some more of his 'goodies' that will be auctioned by Feldmans in Geneva {Early December, 2017].

It is just amazing some of the material that is in the top collections.

The catalogue will be a 'must have' for any Tibet collector

in each case the illustration will be followed by the Certificate text.

A genuine complete sheet of 1/3 tranka stamps of the 1912 issue, on native handmade paper.
Cancelled to order in Lhasa.
This is a late printing in the 1940´s especially done for the Tibetan Trade Delegation to USA and some other countries to present as gifts to prominent persons.
Today both singles and sheets are very scarce and sought after.
This sheet is printing W43 in Dull Grey-Blue.
Fresh and no faults.
Prov: Ex. Waterfall.
cert 45

A genuine cover sent from Peking to Shigatse 1954.
Addressed in the Tibetan language with Chinese text added. Since it reached Tibet in just 8 days it must have been sent by air. China had built an airfield at Lhasa which opened in April 1954. In 1954 the Tibetan Post did the exchange of foreign mail with the Indian Post, not the Chinese. A weak Chinese arrival postmark from Lhasa, the only Chinese post office in Tibet in 1954. Handed over to the Tibetan Post and directed to Shigatse.
Postmarked Shigatse Hellrigl T46.
This is Waterfall number W162 Scarlet-Red 10D8 Setting IIa and W174 Carmine Red 10A8 Setting IV 1954 and W190 Dull Yellow-Orange 5A7 IIa.

A rare, possibly unique, cover in exhibition quality.
cert 61
Tibetan native stamps, a world heritage printed by hand with handmade clichés on handmade paper.

A genuine cover stamped with a pair of a beautiful CTO 4 tranka stamp of the 1914 issue,
on native handmade paper. Postmarked Lhasa T15 and the scarce booth polish arrival postmark from Gyantse.
This stamp is printing W87 in Deep Bright Blue 20D9.

A scarce printing from 1914 in fine condition.
Indeed a cover you do not see every day!
cert 66

A genuine proofsheet of 1 tranka stamp of the 1933 issue.
This is Waterfall number W102 in Lake 11D8 colour.
Waterfall had only seen 3 copies of this rare proofsheet.
Fresh and fine condition.
cert 79

A genuine cover stamped with a set of the 1933 issue
These are Waterfall numbers W108 Ib in Pale Yellow 4A6 colour,
W100 Proof (right half) in Dark Blue 21F8, W144a I in Pale Rose Carmine 11A7 colour,
W173 Ia Pale Scarlet 10A8 colour, W199 Ia Perforated in Emerald 27C8 colour

Envelope contained a Christmas card sent from Lhasa
by the British Political Officer for Tibet, B.J. Gould.

A vertical fold not affecting stamps and of no importance for this rare item.
cert 80

A genuine early cover of the 1933 issue sent in 1935 from Lhasa to Lady Clifton, Government House, Nassau, Bahamas Island.
Postmarked Lhasa and transist postmark from Gyantse.
This is Waterfall number W109 1/2 tranka in Setting IIa in Pale Yellow 4A6 colour, printed 1935-39.

A probably unique destination for a Tibet cover.
cert 84

Post by 22028 »

Do not get me wrong, but most items as shown below I had in my collection i had shown at NY2016, some of them with several copies. However, the Scarf cover i would have loved to have in my collection.
GJ50
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by GJ50 »

warm wrote:David Feldman, auctioneers in Geneva, are celebrating its 50th anniversary holding various auctions in early December.

https://www.davidfeldman.com/auctions/upcoming-auctions/

One of the highlights are two Tibet collections.

They were formed over many years by Bo Olsson and Bengt-Erik Larsson.
Bo Olsson is one of the very few experts that can write certificates for the difficult early issues.
The catalogue will be a invaluable reference for current and future Tibet collectors.

Contact Feldmans to buy a hard copy or download the digital version when available.

Of the two collections one is specialized in the various shades/printings and the other in 1933 issue sheets.
A number of the rare Waterlow essays and also native Tibetan proofs will be on offer. Not to mention other interesting items, like Bailey 1924 covers. Colonel Bailey was the only Westerner to actually see the early stamps being printed.

Tony, thanks for the heads up. I normally see the Feldman auctions but will put a note on the calendar. Also these catalogues are great for Philatelic Library's and they will go into the one at RPSV when received. A valuable resource for judges.
GJ50
NZ2020 FIAP INTERNATIONAL STAMP EXHIBITION
Auckland
March 19 to 22, 2020
warm

Post by warm »

https://www.davidfeldman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Catalogue_Tibet_2017.pdf

Sit back and enjoy…

A dedicated collection.

Be sure and save the file for your records.
warm

Post by warm »

What is your favourite lot.

i like the Everest Expedition covers

Post by 22028 »

A number of items have been reported as lost in the mail. They can be traced up to incoming Mail sorting Office in Belgium.

In coordination and permission of the buyer of these lots I will create a page for these missing items on my Tibet pages as well on the Home Page of the Nepal and Tibet Philatelic Study Circle (NTPSC) with details and images. Maybe some members here can spot them in future…

Stay tuned for the link...

Post by 22028 »

The initial page for the lost items has been set up, some finetuning will follow shortly.
http://www.fuchs-online.com/ntpsc/
and the direct link!
http://www.fuchs-online.com/ntpsc/lost.htm
warm

Post by warm »

It is with much sadness that I report the passing of Bo Olsson.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=80826&p=5332585#p5332585

Bo would have been so disgusted and disappointed with this missing material.

All who have some of his material from the auction can be proud.

Tony
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

warm wrote:

We arrived in Tibet yesterday, and visited the massive Dalai Lama Winter Palace today.

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81854

At the airport we were presented with the same kind of woven white silk scarves shown above - they are very popular here even today.
We stepped off a plane from sea level to 12,000' and within an hour of touching down, were climbing literally 1000 stairs 500 feet up the side of a large hill to the very top of a temple!

I'd be knackered climbing 1000 stairs in Sydney at sea level, at our age and fitness! :mrgreen:

We'd planned to have a day to adjust to the super high altitude, but the flight aborted last moment due to bad weather, which put paid to that, and we had it all booked here.
Spectacular Potala Palace in Lhasa Tibet, Winter Palace of all the Dalai Lamas.
You should not attempt to visit the Palace on your first day in Tibet. Unfortunately, it is common for visitors to descend or be carried down the palace half way through because they fainted on the steps. Every step up to the palace is a struggle, no matter how fit you are. Ascending 3 steps feels like 30 steps due to the altitude and might make you breathless. Try to stop whenever you are panting. Most visitors, even the fit young men, stop to rest every few steps. Once you reach the top, you shall gain great satisfaction and an amazing view of the surrounding area.

https://trip101.com/article/potala-palace-lhasa-one-of-the-w ... stinations
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”